test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why are our weapons always set to kill?

snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
Something I've been curious about since I've started playing this game.

In the Star Trek TV series in most combat situations the goal is to disable or destroy an enemy ship, I can understand that. But even during the Dominion War (I am re-watching DS9) when Captain Sisko and the crew run around on some planet or even on the Defiant in a death struggle with the Jem'Hadar their weapons are still on. Guess what? Heavy stun.

It's also demonstrated several times every Starfleet weapon in a locker is set to stun, if not "off".

I understand sometimes we kill, they do that in the series as well. But I can't bring myself to believe why in a Star Trek related game every mission must involve me and my bridge officers actively killing and vaporizing up to 300-400 enemies during the course of a day.. Or a few away missions.

This kind of super high murder rate would warrant a court martial at best.

I do like that the game sometimes give you the option to spare a life rather than kill it, but why is this even an option?

Starfleet doesn't "kill" like the Klingons or other spieces do, it's made to set an example on how we show mercy etc. For example Kirk when fighting the Gorn.

Now that some missions are bugged, I can even do the missions "Everything old is new" go back in time and vaporize fellow Starfleet personnel.

I find it appalling that a Star Trek game has more killing than any other game I've ever played. Even Age of Empires II and Saints Row is less violent than this stuff... And this is a STAR TREK game.

You should really tone down the ammount of pure killing in this game, even though Starfleet is fighting wars on several fronts. I don't think Starfleet would ever resort to pure killing. Mass slaughtering of god how many millions over the course of the various missions I've played.

Like the mission where you escape Hassan's fight pit on Nimbus 3? Why do I, a Starfleet officer be forced to kill 97 bar patrons to get myself to complete the mission.

Our weapons should be set on stun except when attacking impossible enemies (Iconian, Undine, Borg etc)

I love this game and I love Star Trek but seeing Star Trek combined with mass slaughtering that beats even as mentioned, Saints Row, Grand Theft Auto and other bloody gore games. It's just appalling.

Set our weapons to stun...

While we are at it. I do not understand why Starfleet is so eager to get involved in combat situations nowadays. Why the fudge is Starfleet helping the Kobali when they are clearly lying to us. Sure we are at war with the Vaadwaur but still? Really?
Starfleet is wayyyyyy to eager to get involved with wars these days. Why did we help the Kobali and not the Remans?

We need to go back and think how the Federation and Starfleet acted. Not this super killing machines of death that is joining every war we can fight.

Examples.
Klingon civil war errupts even though it's caused by Romulan interference. Klingons send out a distress call and Picard orders the Enterprise-D to be moved "away from the combat area".

If this was Star Trek Online, I'm sure Picard would have thrown Starfleet into another war by killing 500 Klingons and 30 ships alone?

Another example.
The U.S.S. Phoenix is eventually able to somewhat prove to Picard that the Cardassians are infact arming for war again, and is using the peace treaty as a form of breathing room. Picard refuses to look at the evidence because he wants peace to be maintained. In the end of the episode Picard does realise the Phoenix was right. The Cardassians are infact arming for war again.
How does Starfleet and the Federation respond? By letting the Cardassians know. Not going all crazy fudge and starting another war in pure bloodshed.

Final example.
Our characters can't do one away mission without atleast killing 30 people.

Commander Riker on the Enterprise D only had his weapon set to kill ONCE, during all 7 seasons.. That's 7 years of service with Starfleet against Borg, Klingon and Romulan plots and all kinds of things. And he killed ONCE. We kill a minimum of 30 during an away mission. Seriously?

"In 2366, Commander William T. Riker of the USS Enterprise-D was forced to use his phaser to disintegrate the Acamarian servant girl Yuta to prevent her from killing the Lornak tribe leader Chorgan. Stun and kill settings had little effect due to the genetic enhancements done to Yuta. (TNG: "The Vengeance Factor") "

- Taken from Mem. Alpha.

lol.

Comments

• kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Careful with those melee weapons then. They can dissolve flesh entirely at times. Um, wait how does that work? Don't bother saying nanopulse blades because I only use genuine Kri'stak steel. =)

Anyone else notice this? It must be a bug. I never saw it before my month off.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Wrong. Our weapons are always set to stun. So are the enemy's weapons. Including the bombs, the swords and the Orbital Strikes.

After all, "dead" characters can be revived in two seconds with an ordinary tricorder. Yes, even the disintegrated ones. B)
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    Our weapons are not set on stun as we clearly disintegrate enemies. Stun setting doesn't do that.
    kate370 wrote: »
    Our weapons are not set on stun as we clearly disintegrate enemies. Stun setting doesn't do that.
    They're just hiding. ;)

Unless you're suggesting the tricorder actually summons them back from the afterlife, new body and all? Although given all the other Space Magic being flinged about...sure why not.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    They have that cool disintegration animation, and they are going to use it. :p
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User

What makes you think we disintegrate them? ;)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhkfuyBLDlY
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    We come in peace, shoot to kill.

He's dead Jim! - "Bones" L. H. McCoy

I don't compromise with Borg. - K. Janeway

This is one of those times when we must face the ramifications of the Prime Directive and honor those lives which we cannot save. - J. Picard

I find no honor in this whatsoever, Captain. - N. Rozhenko

On Earth there is no poverty, no crime, no war. You look out the window at Starfleet Headquarters and you see paradise. Well, it's easy to be a saint in paradise. But the Maquis do not live in paradise. Out there, in the Demilitarized Zone, all problems have not been solved yet. There are no saints, just people; angry, scared, determined people who are going to do whatever it takes to survive, whether it meets with the Federation approval or not. - B. Sisko

Picard, you are about to move into areas of the galaxy filled with wonders you cannot possibly imagine. And terrors to freeze your soul! - Q

If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid. - Q

Do you know that you're one of the few predator species that preys even on itself? - Trelane

Who would've thought that the two of us would be fighting, side by side? - Garak

Just remember when you fire that thing, you're aiming it at a Klingon. - Dukat

Star Trek is filled with Violence, conflict and bigotry, sexism, political and racially questionable things, people lost and things to overcome.

T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    I understand Starfleet kills.

But killing over 200-300 people during the course of ONE mission is a bit... Heavy?
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User

But killing over 200-300 people during the course of ONE mission is a bit... Heavy?

janeway killed trillions of lives on her reckless bid to get back home.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    The only good klingon/cardassian/romulan/terran/delta quadrant resident is a vaporized one!
    :)>:)B)
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User

You're way under here. Lots of missions have enemy ships with crew compliments of over 1,000. So you have to add that up too. Borg cubes have 640,000 drones on them. So if you play Infected Advanced over 1,000 times like I have then you've killed over 2.5 billion drones just on that one mission. Keep in mind that 2.5 billion doesn't even include the space stations of spheres. Add up all the other ships that I've destroyed in queues and missions plus enemies killed on the ground and the total easily hits 10 billion people killed.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    The only good klingon/cardassian/romulan/terran/delta quadrant resident is a vaporized one!
    :)>:)B)

Would you like to know more?
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,431 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    We come in peace,
    Shoot to kill, shoot to kill, shoot to kill,
    Ah, we come in peace,
    Shoot to kill, shoot to kill, men!

- The Firm, "Star Trekkin" (linky)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • doctornexdoctornex Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Janeway is the galaxy's biggest war criminal. Bigger than even Cheney. So what does Starfleet do? They promote her. Not just to 1 star admiral, but to 3 star admiral, immediately upon her return. Clearly Starfleet by 2409 has gotten over all that touchy feely IDIC stuff.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2016

It is - why don't they give up? Instead they still insist on following their (or their leaders) nefarious plans! It's so senseless!
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    Bah, not another kill-counting war crime BS thread hijack. :(

The Space Magic resurrection of disintegrated people would've at least been a funny topic.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Bah, not another kill-counting war crime BS thread hijack. :(

The Space Magic resurrection of disintegrated people would've at least been a funny topic.
    It's not a hijack though.... But yeah the other thread topic was better.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    warpangel wrote: »

It's an expansion of transporter technology, everyone's pattern is copied and stored in the computer so you can still be revived if your ever vaporized :)
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    This is a meta problem. Do Everything Old is New and you explicitly state you are setting for stun but still vaporize people you fight. Early game was just combat live/die and on a final crit it gave you the vaporized graphic. Since the game is built on an RPG 'kill' setting so do all our fights.
    What we should have are more effects like the Axon. Knocked to X% sets you adrift and allies can restore you. Thus we 'disable' our enemies. But on missions or stf's we need explosions because of the waves of attackers would clog things up.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    Hey, one of my alts has a pistol with a stun setting. She even uses that setting sometimes.

...right before a flying, double-legged Kirk-fu kick that causes them to vaporize with it's awesome power. ;)
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    Because it's a game...
  • thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    As a KDF player, not murdering 200-300 people per mission also results in a court martial, which ultimately is an opportunity to murder another 20-30 people.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • zorander6zorander6 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    Much like the Taser of the 21st century the stun setting has been shown to cause heart attacks and other medical problems with potential offenders. As such StarFleet Command highly recommends attacking with the highest settings possible. If the aggressor continues to attack keep firing. You may at your discretion fire first.

</making stuff up>
  • antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User

It is - why don't they give up? Instead they still insist on following their (or their leaders) nefarious plans! It's so senseless!

"It's all right, I can see their escape pods" :P
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!

If my tactical officer ever tells me this, I'll tell him to lock weapons ...
    eaY7Xxu.png

WAIT! I'm not reading any life signs...

*Shoots anyway just to be sure*

Oh... The Beginning of Star Wars just went all wrong...
  • zorander6zorander6 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    equinox976 wrote: »

WAIT! I'm not reading any life signs...

*Shoots anyway just to be sure*

Oh... The Beginning of Star Wars just went all wrong...

Emperor Palpatine: "Lord Vader, where are the plans?"
    Darth Vader: "They were destroyed by Lt. Whatsisname"

Emporer Palpatine: *force chokes Lord Vader and goes looking for his son*

• yaminigmayaminigma Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    we're just playing in one big holodeck. they're just holograms, not actual people.
    yaminigma wrote: »
    we're just playing in one big holodeck. they're just holograms, not actual people.

What about the penguins?

Are the penguins real?
    yaminigma wrote: »

Well I suppose it's better than playing in one big tribble.
This discussion has been closed.