test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Age of Forums.

I started a new post about dream ships or something like that on Nov. of last year. Unfortunately it has been months since I even looked at it last. I was considering going into it but at this point, I fear that it may be at illegal to do so.

What I need to know is how long threads can last? Is it okay to in effect reopen an old thread or is that a NoNo? And can someone make a new thread based on an old, outdated one (with perhaps a few minor changes of course)?

I'ved already looked at the rules and the things mentioned above doesn't seemed to be covered.

Comments

• Options
    jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    ^ Yup. If you have something you want to discuss & the thread is older than 30 days, please start a new topic. It's done to refresh and avoid potentially outdated comments/informations.
    Thank you. :3
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    "The Age of Forums is over. The time...of the Reddit...has come!"

sorry, first thing that popped into my head when i saw the title, so i had to do it​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    @jodarkrider What about topics to which "avoid outdated information" doesn't apply? As in, discussions about topics like the OP suggests that are not related to changing information or pipe dreams about STO additions that haven't changed and haven't been made in the meantime. I always thought it was kind of superflous to apply the 30 day rule here and would like to ask if there's some leeway for those topics or wether moderators can make case based decisions. Maybe this would save threads that would be technically allowed to be used but would get closed because 10 self proclaimed "forum sheriffs" join in just to point out it's older than 30 days and completely derail the topic anyway.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    i dont like this conversation about moderation considering there is a rule about that as well.

i typically try to keep within the confines of the rules, sometimes i skirt along them and comments get modded, but at no point would i willing violate them because this is a PWE forum and these mods are going what they need to do.

sometimes it means drawing direct attention to a thread with the "at handle" because i realize that sometimes it is better to call attention to it than flagging it, for example there is no choice in the flagging system to call attention to a whole thread being wrong, i can only call attention to a specific comment. that goes for 30 day limits on threads.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    i dont like this conversation about moderation considering there is a rule about that as well.

i typically try to keep within the confines of the rules, sometimes i skirt along them and comments get modded, but at no point would i willing violate them because this is a PWE forum and these mods are going what they need to do.

sometimes it means drawing direct attention to a thread with the "at handle" because i realize that sometimes it is better to call attention to it than flagging it, for example there is no choice in the flagging system to call attention to a whole thread being wrong, i can only call attention to a specific comment. that goes for 30 day limits on threads.

Still practicing backseat moderating, are we?

Discussing rules != discussing moderation. If it were, then it would become increasingly difficult to figure out how to correctly interpret the rules.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    dalolorn wrote: »

Still practicing backseat moderating, are we?

Discussing rules != discussing moderation. If it were, then it would become increasingly difficult to figure out how to correctly interpret the rules.

i am simply stating what i do, i have no tsaid that i what this or that being changed, dont put words on my comments section.

and i frankly dont care what your opinion of me is dalolorn nor what i choose to do.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Necromancy is bad
    By the nine you are better off in the school of Illusion
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Lots of forums have these necro rules, but don't have the forum software auto-lock threads by age. I wonder if that's because forum software makers never thought to add such a function, or of there's some other reason it doesn't get used... :/
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Lots of forums have these necro rules, but don't have the forum software auto-lock threads by age. I wonder if that's because forum software makers never thought to add such a function, or of there's some other reason it doesn't get used... :/

It'd take the joy from people to tell other users that they've broken the rules pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    warpangel wrote: »

It'd take the joy from people to tell other users that they've broken the rules pig-2.gif​​

And the MOD's would be jobless. Please won't somebody please think of the MOD's?

Nonsense, they have a much more important purpose. :p

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    BfQGXDyIgAAW1jM.jpg:large
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif