test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Infected Space Advanced - all science skills are greyed out/not working?

plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
So after joining this STF, sometimes my science skills are missing, they are greyed out and I'm unable to either click or use em, until I actually die.

After that, everything is as it should be.

Anyone else having simular problems?

Comments

• Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,327 Arc User
    Haven't experienced it. Perhaps borg boarding parties shutting down your aux?
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Nah, it's right from the start, and I don't remember any Borg vessels with such capabilities anyway. But thanks ;) It's strange though, as it mostly happens when joining with people in a premade group.

It's also rather frustrating, since I am using a sci build and need the damage output from most of these skills... Must be funny for the other people seeing me going straight for the gate (hoping to catch an invisible torp of death) ;)
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,327 Arc User
    Premades huh. I have heard there are issues in premades with lagg inducing abilities. Haste and frenzy come to mind.
    Perhaps this is a result of that, but since i rarely play premade and haven't experienced this issue myself i cannot be certain.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    hawkrunnerhawkrunner Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    I've noticed that there are a few things that cause this:
    • Aux system offline - this can be caused by debuffs, Override Subsystem Safeties, etc, or if you have your aux power too low and use like the aux cannons or something else that drains aux power (Auxiliary to Battery?) because it will become disabled if the power level goes too low. If the Auxiliary subsystem goes down, then any ability that relies on it will grey out, and many science powers rely on it.
    • If your selected target is out of range of the science abilities they will be greyed out, or if the selected enemy is outside of the firing arc if the ability has one. This can happen if you drift too far away from your selected target and don't re-target something in range. You might want to go into your control options and see what you can do there to un-link as many things from targeting as possible - i.e. disable "Only attack if target selected" etc. I also think that if you have the assist target options turned on, and you target an ally who is targeting a foe out of range of your offensive abilities, they will grey out because they cannot reach the target.
    • I don't know if the borg boarding parties (Assimilate Ship) can disable subsystems or certain types of powers, but it is possible as there are other abilities that can... Tactical Team has been the standard counter for the boarding parties, and Engineering Team is great for fixing disabled subsystems.

It might be interesting if you could post a screenshot of your UI when this happens.
  • Options
    hawkrunner wrote: »
    I've noticed that there are a few things that cause this:
    • Aux system offline - this can be caused by debuffs, Override Subsystem Safeties, etc, or if you have your aux power too low and use like the aux cannons or something else that drains aux power (Auxiliary to Battery?) because it will become disabled if the power level goes too low. If the Auxiliary subsystem goes down, then any ability that relies on it will grey out, and many science powers rely on it.
    • If your selected target is out of range of the science abilities they will be greyed out, or if the selected enemy is outside of the firing arc if the ability has one. This can happen if you drift too far away from your selected target and don't re-target something in range. You might want to go into your control options and see what you can do there to un-link as many things from targeting as possible - i.e. disable "Only attack if target selected" etc. I also think that if you have the assist target options turned on, and you target an ally who is targeting a foe out of range of your offensive abilities, they will grey out because they cannot reach the target.
    • I don't know if the borg boarding parties (Assimilate Ship) can disable subsystems or certain types of powers, but it is possible as there are other abilities that can... Tactical Team has been the standard counter for the boarding parties, and Engineering Team is great for fixing disabled subsystems.

It might be interesting if you could post a screenshot of your UI when this happens.

Thanks for your efforts and just for your understanding, but this has never happend to me, and I am here since beta ;)

When you join ISA, you see the first group in front of the gate - the cube, and the spheres right? So i approach the group and at anything below 10km, I should be able to activate the skills, true? But they stay grey, no debuffs, no nothing has reached me at this point in time. They will stay grey as long as I am alive, no matter where I am or what I do. After suicide, everything works as intended.

@questerius, there might be a connection, one way or another. I'll try to replicate the situation as soon as I can and make a screenshot while at it.
  • Options
    ujam1ujam1 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    Yes +1!
    This has been a very old bug which happens very rarely - all sci powers go offline and there is no chance to restore them until map change. As i remember SCI capatain avilities are also grayed out! No idea about what causes this issue. It can be critical in pvp, happened to me last time during HSE...
    s7CQHZ3.jpg
    FED: Special Circumstances, Raumpatroullie Elysion, Naeramarth
    KDF: Special Circumstances KDF
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
  • Options
    ujam1ujam1 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    The problem can occure at any time and not necessarily at the beginning of a mission. Deflector is always equipped.
    s7CQHZ3.jpg
    FED: Special Circumstances, Raumpatroullie Elysion, Naeramarth
    KDF: Special Circumstances KDF
  • Options
    So I am not crazy, thanks ujam1, I'll leave the roof right away ;)

Perhaps the thread title becomes a bit misleading at this point as well since it only happened to me on isa so far and I rarely play any other STFs these days. I imagine having this in pvp must be even more frustrating.

Deflectors ftw ;)