Install Arc
Options

New ARC site for STO has new pics!

13»

Comments

• Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Heh..
    The dislike for Mr. Bakula seems a bit over the top today.

Funny how such a "bad actor" can be hired to be the lead in THREE popular TV shows over the years, and be hired for countless guest-starring roles in multiple episodes of other shows.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    daveyny wrote: »
    Heh..
    The dislike for Mr. Bakula seems a bit over the top today.

Funny how such a "bad actor" can be hired to be the lead in THREE popular TV shows over the years, and be hired for countless guest-starring roles in multiple episodes of other shows.
    B)

Im still trying to figure out why... the man cant act and has 3 faces.... happy, angry and constipated/worried....
  • Options
    LoL

I guess that's all ya need for TV acting.
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Well, I guess it's a good thing for him that that attitude isn't all that prevalent, or he'd still be a waiter somewhere.
    B)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I LOVED him in Quantum leap simply because I think he actually did a decent job at playing a new character every episode...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    I LOVED him in Quantum leap simply because I think he actually did a decent job at playing a new character every episode...

Scott was a brave man to play some of those characters and do some of those things that were considered really taboo back then, a pioneer of his time. of course he is still running around a film set these days with NCIS New Orleans.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    teknesia wrote: »
    (...)
    Also, the Worf comment, while nice that DS9 made a tongue and cheek reference to a problem in Trek Lore really didn't fill the void for me and I'm suspecting quite a few others. Gene Roddenberry may have also said this or that, and with all respect to Mr. Roddenberry, to just watch a TOS episode and pretend that the smooth forehead you're seeing on the Klingons is really a ridged forehead is quite the suspension of disbelief.

And lastly, how in the Hell did the augment story hurt Khan?

Worf's comment didn't "fill the void" and it was never intented to - it was a well intented nod, but back in the day people simply understood it was a simple costume difference between shows more than two decades apart. There was no hidden meaning or void to be filled in the first place. Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but I think this notion of "today" to look for those things everywhere is really irritating at times pig-3.gif

For the Augments, no amount of Spiner can undo the simple mistake of bringing them up in the first place and linking them to the Klingons for that matter. It was completely uncalled for, but that's something ENT in general didn't get and repeatedly used elements Archer - by established lore - couldn't possibly have contact with and all because they were desperate to get Trek fans on board again by forcing snippets of recognition everywhere. Again, my opinion but one that very, very strongly influences my view on ENT and also STO for that matter.

Regarding the other topic, I like Scott Bakula, I even liked him in ENT to a degree, but a good actor (which he is) can't save the trainwrecked writing the show had. And of course the ensemble he was with, I think throughout the show I'd say they had three good actors, a few passable ones and a lot of wooden actbots.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Regarding the other topic, I like Scott Bakula, I even liked him in ENT to a degree, but a good actor (which he is) can't save the trainwrecked writing the show had. And of course the ensemble he was with, I think throughout the show I'd say they had three good actors, a few passable ones and a lot of wooden actbots.

It's very hard to judge. Like TOS (Kirk, Spock, and Mccoy) and VOY (Janeway, Seven, and the Doctor), ENT had three characters (Archer, T'Pol, and Tucker) with minor players filling in the rest of the dialogue (Scotty and Sulu, Tuvok and Paris, and Reed and Phlox). It's almost impossible to judge the acting abilities of the other cardboard cutouts hanging around on the bridge who generally only get one episode devoted to them in their shows runs.

Of the main characters of any of the shows Jolene Blalock was the hardest to judge because she was playing a Vulcan, a race not exactly known for their range. I think she did a good job of carrying the required level of uncomfortableness required to be a Vulcan surrounded by Humans. She also managed to suffer through B&Bs objectification carried over from Seven with a modicum of dignity. Mind you, it probably helps that she was a fan of the show and got to play a main character, considering she was only hired because of her chest size I imagine she would have do a Jeri Ryan and just leave if they didn't give her some real plots.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    angrytarg,
    I feel like I could argue this all day long, but it's probably best to accept that we're gonna have to disagree then.

edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • Options
    teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Jolene Blalock may have been so so on Enterprise, but she was awesome on SG-1. BTW, B&Bs "put the hot woman in a skin tight suit" started on TNG and DS9 way before Voyager and Jeri Ryan.

Yeah, but neither TNG nor DS9 needed Jeri Ryan and the Borg to save them quite like Voyager did.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    One other problem ENT (and, to a degree, VOY) suffered from was B&B's misunderstanding of how an ensemble comes together on TV. You start with your main characters (like, for instance, Kirk, Spock, and McCoy), then start adding bits of business in later episodes to establish your other characters (like Scotty, Sulu, Uhura, Chekov, M'Benga, et al). They tried to dive right into introducing the entire frigging ensemble to us in the pilot episode, leaving even the mains defined primarily by a few minor brushstrokes of characterization, because seriously guys, you've got one hour, two at the most, to introduce us to not just your characters but the world they live in, and give us a plot so we have some reason to watch for the entire hour. (You might think your characters are the bee's knees, but opening with an hour of character pieces before we have a reason to care drags.)

Hell, look at the classic of ensemble shows, "M*A*S*H". In the beginning, the movie gave us basic characterizations for Hawkeye, Trapper John, Burns, and Radar; everyone else was a caricature, not a character, because that was all the plot demanded. Later, the TV show started off by slightly expanding on both Hawkeye and Trapper, modifying Radar a bit (so instead of being a low-level telepath he just had really good ears), and giving the beginnings of a backstory to Hot Lips to explain her fascination with Frank (he was the senior officer on staff that she could seduce, as Henry wasn't interested in her). Over the ensuing years, enough characterization was slid in around the edges that we honestly cared when they killed Henry (thanks to a career move so stupid that when Denise Crosby left TNG, it was still called "doing a Stevenson") and when Trapper got rotated home and replaced by BJ - and then we came to give a damn about BJ too.

Had ENT started off like that (and had someone remembered that another part of what made TOS great was the fact that they used actual SF writers to pen some episodes, and gotten us, say, a two-parter by Spider Robinson because brevity is not Spider's friend, or an episode from Allen Steele or, dare I dream, William Gibson), it might have lasted the by-then-traditional 7 seasons, and the T-1 NX we see might have been the version the modelmaker wanted to give us in Season 5...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    jonsills wrote: »
    Had ENT started off like that (and had someone remembered that another part of what made TOS great was the fact that they used actual SF writers to pen some episodes, and gotten us, say, a two-parter by Spider Robinson because brevity is not Spider's friend, or an episode from Allen Steele or, dare I dream, William Gibson), it might have lasted the by-then-traditional 7 seasons, and the T-1 NX we see might have been the version the modelmaker wanted to give us in Season 5...
    Combine your idea with not opening your new series by plowing roughshod over established canon regarding a primary species then segueing into one of the worst meta-plot ideas of all time(temporal cold war)... and maybe.
  • Options
    phenomenaut01phenomenaut01 Member Posts: 714 Arc User
    It's interesting to note that Worf is shown in his DS9 era uniform. Wonder if that's a clue that Michael Dorn is coming back and we'll have a temporal story element in that era, just like it's implied that well have a TOS movie era story element with Scotty (since there's no way that that is Scotty from TNG era in 2410. For one thing, Scotty looked older than that in the TNG episode, if he were still alive, he'd be positively ancient looking - and would probably have traded in the vest for something else).
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    Awww...it says the TOS Battlecruiser is 4/4...I really hope they decide to change it or at the very least the T6 is 5/3...I really want it to be 5/3 for a specific build...