test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

new update, cant play game

13»

Comments

• edwardsparrow1edwardsparrow1 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    nup through Steam didn't work either, even after having it verify files and replace 2
  • jameswilliejameswillie Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    Well I waited until the patches of today Thursday April 21, and none of the patches fixed the problem of not being able to get onto the game. So I decided to uninstall the version of the game I have had for 3 1/2 years and downloaded the game thru arc. Just tried to go onto the game and still have the exact same problem I had before. That was a waste of about 2 hours of download time. So either the previous poster is correct in Cryptic is no longer supporting Windows XP and haven't told us, or they dont appear to be in any rush to fix the 2 corrupted files. To bad had I had few bucks to spend on the new season. Oh well.
    HA now its even worse since I redownloaded, the program crashes on the loading screen that has CRYPTIC on it.
  • aranhiamaranhiam Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    What I did was verify the files through steam and open the Star Trek Online.exe file in which is located in the Arc game folder.
    I have both Arc and Steam.
    Yesterday after the patch-up I managed to login through Arc and play for an hour than the game crashed to screen and the same problem occurred where the game was crashing on login loadscreen.
    I so gave up logged off from Arc and used the "exe" in the Arc folder: "Star Trek Online_en"

Which actually worked. Unfortunately that's the game launcher and without running it either through steam or arc launchers the game loads slower or could freeze/crash.
    But I was able to play for a few hours before going to bed.
  • aranhiamaranhiam Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    Also I too did a fresh and clean install of the game (downloading it from STO Arc webpage) before sending a ticket to support.
    I deleted all content and files of the STO game + the Arc and Steam launcher. Just to make sure.
    Than after a few hours of staring into the blue sky (patiently waiting for the game to download both for Steam and Arc around roughly 35G of info). I came to the conclusion that I'll have to be using the "STO.exe" for the time being until the problem is resolved or upgrade to Win7/8/10.

Personally I prefer the XP cuz its more user friendly doesn't take so much of RAM and doesn't run 64bit process which is useless compared to the 32bit which does the same work not to mention the space it takes to install and install what?!? TRIBBLE that's what. :^/
    And its suppose to make the PC process run faster and smoother BAH! Lies!
    My dad understand PC in and out, Software and Hardware. What he tells me is either go Win7/8 or Linux (where he pointed out that Linux is the best choice).

But my problem is that I have lot of old games that need at least WinXP to run. and cannot run under Win7/8.
    You know the saying: "Old but Gold"
    Well I got a very fast response from my ticket which I do appreciate the promptness. It is looking like what many of us Windows XP users were fearing. I cant blame Cryptic as it appears many manufacturers over the past couple years have been ceasing support for XP, so it was only a matter of time. I have not yet tried what was suggested in the ticket yet but wanted to give their response on here first to let everyone know what they had to say.

Response By Email (Tek) (04/22/2016 10:13 AM)
    Hello,

Because of the age of your system you may be getting near the end of our ability to support you. While we haven't intentionally upped the minimum requirements, some of the additions and improvements we've made to the game incorporate technologies that your system is incapable of. For now, though, you can try manually lowering the game settings and possibly allow you to play. Try going to the Launcher options menu and add a '-useSM20' argument to the command line. This will force the game to use an older shader model version that your video card can support, but in doing so it will degrade the graphics considerably.

Windows XP is an extremely old operating system, first released in 2001. Microsoft stopped updating the OS in 2009, and officially stopped support for it in 2014. Hardware manufacturers also stopped updating their software for XP around the same time. It's because of this lack of updates that the operating system itself may not be able to handle the updated technology that our games are incorporating.

• spy8446spy8446 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    its the same guy and same message he sent me, that trick didnt work for me.
    edited April 2016
    Yea that trick didn't work for me on my Windows XP either. I just put the game on my wife's laptop, shes running Windows 7 and seems to be working. Sux it doesn't seem to be working on XP.
  • spy8446spy8446 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    whell guess im out for a while then, unless i can get my new computer sooner or something

is there an actual scan to see if your computer will support W10?
    edited April 2016
    Windows 10 was automatically downloaded by Microsoft into computers that can install it. If it was downloaded into your computer u would know it as a window would open every time u booted up asking u to install Windows 10. My wifescomputer is Windows 7 and she has the Windows 10 in her computer just not installed. A nice thing Microsoft did to people without their permission. Chances are if u have XP like me than your computer cant handle the upgrade to Windows 10. Its to bad , i feel XP is still the best one to date. Unfortunately only a matter of time before noone is supporting their products on XP anymore.
  • pavlovzdawgpavlovzdawg Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    Well I got a very fast response from my ticket which I do appreciate the promptness. It is looking like what many of us Windows XP users were fearing. I cant blame Cryptic as it appears many manufacturers over the past couple years have been ceasing support for XP, so it was only a matter of time. I have not yet tried what was suggested in the ticket yet but wanted to give their response on here first to let everyone know what they had to say.

Response By Email (Tek) (04/22/2016 10:13 AM)
    Hello,

Because of the age of your system you may be getting near the end of our ability to support you. While we haven't intentionally upped the minimum requirements, some of the additions and improvements we've made to the game incorporate technologies that your system is incapable of. For now, though, you can try manually lowering the game settings and possibly allow you to play. Try going to the Launcher options menu and add a '-useSM20' argument to the command line. This will force the game to use an older shader model version that your video card can support, but in doing so it will degrade the graphics considerably.

Windows XP is an extremely old operating system, first released in 2001. Microsoft stopped updating the OS in 2009, and officially stopped support for it in 2014. Hardware manufacturers also stopped updating their software for XP around the same time. It's because of this lack of updates that the operating system itself may not be able to handle the updated technology that our games are incorporating.

That is unacceptable. Would you send me/forward the email - or screen shot the support convo and send? jumpnghosophat@yahoo.com. If they have exceeded the listed system requirements, and they are taking money based from consumers who are making their decision based on their erroneous info - they are defrauding the public. We should be able to at least get a refund of some sort. If not - and we can get several people to sign on - I know a lawyer who specializes in class action lawsuits. He was part of the class action against Sony who took money from consumers while promising backwards compatibility for PS3's. They removed this feature to bring the cost down (they were originally $600), but they never changed the advertised promise of backwards compatibility. I signed on and got $94 just for proving I had bought one.

I have a time stamped screen shot of the system requirements they list. All I need now is more than a copy and paste of their response to you.
  • fletch57fletch57 Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    this is BS! they need to fix it so XP user's can still play.
  • lordatrocitieslordatrocities Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    Truth be told, I am already at the point where the time I already have invested is the only reason I do not move on. 'Playing' the game has become a chore - between the forced episode grinds and the unreliability of the platform, I do not look forward to playing any more.

DITTO. Well said.

What happened to those unique forum ranks I paid for?