Options

Meaning behind your ship's name and registry number

1235»

Comments

• Options
    stoltsstolts Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    Nice works guys and gals!
    lighte007 wrote: »
    I have some starships... Designations to go through.

1. U.S.S. Velociraptor X - NX-93028-V - This starship was equipped with a prototype drive from Light's Primary reality, which he stole from the X-COM Empire/Existence Empire's R&D Divisions. The Drive is called the Genesis Drive, a Multiversal Travel System, which can appear in any known reality or dimension within seconds. The Genesis Drive is different from the Genesis Device since it does not terraform a planet. The 93028-V is the designation of the Genesis Drive he stole and it is in the Prototype phases. The Velociraptor X name designation was given from the research on the Voth during the battle for the Dyson Sphere against the Voth. As well, he has a trophy of a Voth Raptor on his starship. This is a Mercury Pilot Ship at tier 6. This is the primary starship of my main, Light.
    2. U.S.S. Ragnarok Freedom - NCC-93356 - This starship used to be equipped with the same Genesis Drive, which is on the Mercury Pilot Ship, which is tactical but it went to the standard drive systems of the Federation with a Remodel/Refit. This starship is a Fleet Manticore/Fleet Heavy Destroyer [T6]. The Ragnarok Freedom is basically a name of the Norse Apocalypse but with Freedom. This used to be the primary starship of Light or Arconian Lee Ionic-Force. This was replaced by the U.S.S. Velociraptor X designation NX-93028 V.

That is my two starships I like a lot. I love the Manticore/Chimera model.

Nice to meet a fellow LTS :)
    1686is5.jpg
    The first Belfast was commanded by Captain Ve'Kal Shon until its destruction in 2409. A new ship was commissioned bearing the same name and registry as special dispensation to then newly promoted Captain Edward XIII for his pivotal role during the renewed Dominion War.
  • Options
    galattgalatt Member Posts: 707 Arc User
    My registration numbers have always been random. My first ship was the U.S.S. Los Lobos, based on what I was listening to when I was downloading the game. From then on I named them after anime mecha like the Exkaiser, Fighbird, Might Gain, J Decker, Dancouga, Gaogaigar, Dunbine, (my Galaxy-X was the Macross). When I got my end game Sovereign I named her the Los Lobos-A.
    sig_picture_resize_by_gx_9901-db9d1v1.png
  • Options
    solarwraithsolarwraith Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    These are the names for my main ships, no significance to registry, just a variation of 97***

Atreyu; Band, Character from Never Ending Story. Hindi name? Just like the way it sounds. Fed ship.
    Atreides; House Atreides from Dune. Apparently, Atreides also refers to one of the sons of Atreus; Agamemnon or Menelaus. Fed Ship.
    Magog; Character from DC comics Kingdom Come. Yes, it is also from the bible as well. This is for Klingon ship.
    Monolith; 2001 Space Odyssey. Name for Scimitar.
    Space Pants; Just because...I'm wearing Space Pants. Fed ship.
    Peter Dinklage; See space pants. Fed ship.

There, that should do it.

Oh, forgot, Ragnar Lothbrok, Klingon Ship.
  • Options
    themartianthemartian Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    Most ships are just what seemed cool at the time, but I do have some with some meaning. Hawke flies the Corvus Rao which is the star Neil Degrasse Tyson said Krypton orbited in our language (Corvus) and Kryptonian (Rao). Arbol, my Martian captain has the manticore class, Dejah Thoris (A Princess of Mars) and the Thulc'hanakra*. Both his name and the Thulc'hanakra are Old Solar from C.S. Lewis's Out of the Silent Planet, Arbol means 'Sun' while Thulc means 'silent' and a hanakra is a Martian sea beast. A couple of my characters have Jupiter class ships called Glundandra which is Old Solar for 'Jupiter'. Carrying on the Old Solar, Ayzer has the Perelandra, 'Venus' which is appropriate as she is my only character with an all female crew. T'Lana has the Seraph's Resolve just because seraphium are fiery and the ship is set to Romulan Plasma.

*My old solar spellings may be off, I haven't checked, it's right on the ships.
    My alt army:
    K'ymara, Orion Engineer. Caedera of Borg, Liberated Borg Tactical, Elyza Vix, Joined Trill Scientist. Christina Bellona, Augmented Human Tactical.
    T'Lana, Vulcan Scientist. Arbol, Martian Tactical. Ayzer Bryn, Joined Trill Engineer. Hawke, Betazoid Scientist. Karna Valkras, Klingon Engineer. Beth Parker, Human Tactical
    Sarel, Romulan Engineer (Federation). Yazuri, Reman Scientist (KDF)
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    USS Dear Ladder, registry 1234567, because why put thought into this?

Lies! The fact you changed from the random one given shows you did put thought into it. Not any good thought, but some! :D
  • Options
    neos472neos472 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    when I got my Annorax i had no trouble naming it "Dialga" as a tribute to the massive dragon of time from pokemon since it fits Dialga perfectly
    manipulator of time and long time space traveler
  • Options
    captaintroikacaptaintroika Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    There is no meaning to the form I take.

None whatsoever.
  • Options
    glenn#1579 glenn Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    My new Intrepid class science ship is the Bagpuss. No one messes with the Puss.
  • Options
    javaman1969javaman1969 Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    My ship history:
    U.S.S. Dragonfly, Miranda class....A small and fast hunter.
    U.S.S. Skyborn, Exeter class....I just thought it souded cool

then I got into a pattern of naming my ships after greek dieties
    U.S.S. Artemis, Cheyenne variant heavy cruiser....Huntress, goddess of the moon
    U.S.S. Callisto, Intrepid Class
    U.S.S. Electra, Luna Class

Then I named my Pathfinder the U.S.S. Solar Wind and her Delta shuttle the Tempest...Because a fool picks a fight with the wind.
    His methods have become unsound.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Registry numbers are random, because honestly I don't care about those. (When I want to write stories about them, though, I have to go look the number up and write it down for later...)

My main's ships are all named for scientists from Earth, mostly in the field of neurology (one of the two flagships is the Odyssey-class star cruiser USS Hans Asperger; when I have the Zen together it'll be supplanted by the Yorktown-class USS Lorna Wing). One of the exceptions is the other current ship, the free T6 Krenim ship we got recently - USS Penrose, named for mathematical physicist Sir Roger Penrose, whose work includes twistor theory and spin networks. His work on spin theory may have also laid the groundwork for destroying Tipler's famed cylindrical time machine, assuming quantum gravity theory ever holds water. (Quantum gravity seems to eliminate the possibility of closed timelike curves, even under situations such as the one described by Tipler.)

I recently started a Klingon Starfleet captain, having gotten the Klingon playable species just before the new ships came out. His Miranda was randomly named USS Syrinx; since then, his other ships have been references to Rush songs (the Snowdog, the By-Tor, and most recently the Hope-class science ship USS Lamneth).

Then there's the Rom I created in part to simply annoy people by his very existence, now-Subadmiral Tovan Khev, currently commanding RRW Tovan Khev VIII. (His BOffs are Tovan Khev2, Tovan Khev3, Rinna Khev, and Rinna NotKhev - the last is the Reman engineer.) Oh, and he has a runabout (or the Romulan equivalent, anyway), the good ship Li'l Tovie.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Then there's the Rom I created in part to simply annoy people by his very existence, now-Subadmiral Tovan Khev, currently commanding RRW Tovan Khev VIII. (His BOffs are Tovan Khev2, Tovan Khev3, Rinna Khev, and Rinna NotKhev - the last is the Reman engineer.) Oh, and he has a runabout (or the Romulan equivalent, anyway), the good ship Li'l Tovie.

You're going to a special Hell.

One for people gifted with great power who chose to use that power for evil.

• Options
    shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 527 Arc User
    Registry numbers I have always randomized but I do have names for my ships based off of games I played and basic inspiration. As follows...

The Unforgiven and The Forsaken. Originally these names came from The Matrix Online as they were the names of the hovercraft my brother and I owned. The bad news was that we never got to see our ships, just the name was all.

The Rahab. If you played Soul Reaver you would know this was one of Raziel’s “brothers” who betrayed him. He had a special power where water did not effect him (water for Nosgoth vampires is as deadly as sunlight).

The Ifrit . From the Final Fantasy series and for me from FF VII . I loved his intro sequence.

The Ishimura . Dead Space and Kurasawa . I love Dead Space, the story and the action perfectly combined. Not a dig at STO but the Dead Space series makes the mission “What Lies Beneath” feel like a walk through Disney Land.

I love Kurasawa’s films, the man was a master at lighting and mood for his movies and though some of his best work is in the black and white films, you can still see how he uses the limitations of the technology at the time to its fullest.
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • Options
    thekodanarmada#7342 thekodanarmada Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    Currently flying To'Duj fighter I.K.S. RIP USER jros83.

Because.
    DInb0Vo.gif[/url][/center]
  • Options
    stoltsstolts Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »

Lmao! To the both of you xD
    1686is5.jpg
    The first Belfast was commanded by Captain Ve'Kal Shon until its destruction in 2409. A new ship was commissioned bearing the same name and registry as special dispensation to then newly promoted Captain Edward XIII for his pivotal role during the renewed Dominion War.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »

One could argue that he's already there, by electing to make that display...

Or that, if he can stand seeing that many Tovans, then said locale would hold no sway over him...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    My main's ships are all named after the cast of my favorite play, Cats
    My first alt, Amanda, has ships named after the American space program astronauts,
    my science alt ships are named after goddesses
    and my kitty's ships are named after the US Navy's cruisers, Yorktown, Chancellorsville Shiloh, and so on

We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    I just started a box opening alt, a Ferengi commanding the good ship "Alms for the Poor"... provided he leaves ESD... :p
  • Options
    tequilapastatequilapasta Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    My ship registry numbers are random because the only people who tend to think hard about what numbers to use are (a) racists looking to make their confederate license plates even more offensive; and (b) children who think "80085" is clever.

While I haven't the character count to list all my ships, here is a selection:

A vintage Constitution class cruiser named the USS Kim Jong Un, after the legendary statesman and diplomat of the 21st century who finally showed humanity the road to the broad sunlit uplands promised so long ago; he did this in spite of the enormous hurdles placed in his path by less visionary leaders. In his honour, it has been equipped with a dual beam bank, as to meet the enemy head-on in the manner which he would have approved. I am routinely applauded, as befits the ship's great name, by my colleagues in elite STFs for the courage and tenacity displayed by the ship's crew and captain. I still outscore people with tank builds.

A Mirror Star Cruiser named the USS Battle Lingerie after I observed an Orion dressed in the style demonstrate a so-far unmatched aptitude for dying without achieving anything.

A Tholain Recluse carrier was named the Loss.JPG, in honour of one of the most touching stories ever told on the internet about the ability of one man to move on and heal, without turning into a sad sack of tears. It also did what Lilah never could and carried fighters for a full term (I forgot to launch them during a match).

My current ship is named the USS RicherthanYou because it helps remind the lower classes that I am wealthy beyond their wildest imaginings, and that this makes me a better person.

I might also post my Klingon ship names later.
    TdfsKwJ.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    The Rahab. If you played Soul Reaver you would know this was one of Raziel’s “brothers” who betrayed him. He had a special power where water did not effect him (water for Nosgoth vampires is as deadly as sunlight).

The Ifrit . From the Final Fantasy series and for me from FF VII . I loved his intro sequence.
    In the Book of Joshua (Old Testament and, I believe, Torah), Rahab was a prostitute in Jericho who concealed the Hebrew spies who had rented rooms in her "inn". In return, she and her family were spared when the city was sacked.

Ifrit are fire demons of Arabic lore, infernal djinni who followed Iblis, the angel who refused to bow to Adam at Allah's order and was thus cast out of Paradise.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png