test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Game crashes at character select screen after update.

valetharvalethar Member Posts: 173 Arc User
As the title states, I can't get past the character select screen after today's update. As soon as the game loads to this point, it black screens, CTD's and presents an error.

Fatal Error: Direct3D driver returned error code: (DXGI_Error_Device_Removed) while Presenting. Reason: 0x887a0006 (DXGI_Error_Device_Hung).

According to the MS support site, this appears to be something broken on your end.

DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG (0x887A0006): The application's device failed due to badly formed commands sent by the application. This is an design-time issue that should be investigated and fixed.

Rebooting the PC and initiating a game file verification did nothing to resolve the issue. The game played just fine up until around 05:30 Pacific time. Nothing has been updated or altered, with the exception of STO updating after maintenance today.

Comments

• Options
    spiritwalker1969spiritwalker1969 Member Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    First of all ignore the device hung errors, the important one is DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED - The video card has been physically removed from the system, or a driver upgrade for the video card has occurred.

This suggests a few things may have happened -

(i) Your video card is about to die. (This is the worst case scenario and also the most unlikely, since other applications work)
    (ii) Your video card has become unseated and contact is being disrupted - power off, remove power cord, remove the video card from the PCIe slot carefully and clean the contacts with a microfibre cloth, reseat the card, connect power and boot up, try to launch game.
    (iii) A problem has occured during/after the update which has caused the game not to recognise your video card - The file which the game uses to determine what variables such as Direct X version etc your system uses is a file local and unique to your system. This means that a force-verify is unlikely to detect an issue with this file as the patch server will not have anything to compare it to. If this file has become corrupted or contains an error then it could lead the game to look for a different video source than that which you use as default - most likely that the game has defaulted to looking for on-board VGA installed on your motherboard, which explains the black screen and error codes, simply put the game is trying to use an output which should be disabled and fails so it crashes. To solve the issue you may need to do the following -

(a) Open your STO installation --> usually C:\\program files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live. (this may vary depending on where you have installed STO) Look for Gameprefs.pref in the localdata folder, open this with notepad and scroll to the bottom. Near the bottom of the file there should be an entry similar to this "PrefEntry SystemSpecs.videoCardName "[Your video card make and model]" The make and model should match your primary graphics adaptor (i.e. the graphics card your monitor is connected to) - if this shows anything different then you need to do the following -
    (i)Make a copy of the file (save it to your desktop)
    (ii) Close notepad and then delete the local data folder and contents
    (iii) Launch the game and allow it to reset your settings/recreate the gameprefs file etc.
    (iv) Close the game and open the new copy of gameprefs in b]C:\\program files (x86)\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live\localdata[/b] as before, locate the PrefEntry SystemSpecs.videoCardName entry and copy the details given (only if they match your expansion graphics card).
    (v) Open the copy of gameprefs you made previously and replace the PrefEntry SystemSpecs.videoCardName details with those from the newly created version. Close this file and copy the whole file to the localdata folder allowing it to overwrite the new version (this will reinstate your prefered settings)
    (vi) launch the game and see if issue has cleared.

(b)If the issue hasn't cleared then you may have to disable on-board VGA in bios (only applicable where the previous step indicated that the game was not using your expansion graphics card). To do this you need to access BIOS at bootup. On the initial boot screen there should be a message which states press [KEY] for settings (the actual key varies according to which BIOS you have), if you can't see this then try searching online for the information using either your PC model details or motherboard details (TIP: most manufacturers will have this info available by searching bios setup for [manufacturer])
    Once you have this info, reboot and press the correct key as soon as the initial screen appears (you may need to try several times to get the timing correct), next look for integrated peripherals and/or onboard vga, set onboard vga to disabled, at the bottom of the screen there will be a legend which tells you the correct key to press for exit & save - press this and allow the system to reboot. STO should now have no option but to recognise your expansion card as the default device. You may need to repeat step (a)

***** ONLY ATTEMPT THESE SUGGESTIONS ON SYSTEMS WHICH HAVE A GRAPHICS CARD PLUGGED INTO A PCIe SLOT ON THE MOTHERBOARD - DO NOT CARRY OUT THESE IF YOU ONLY HAVE BUILT-IN GRAPHICS WHICH WERE SUPPLIED WITH YOUR MACHINE ****

Step (b) totally disables your on-board VGA and this means that it needs to be re-enabled before you remove the expansion graphics card for any reason. If you are unsure of what you are doing at step (b), do not proceed - better to enquire if a local PC repair service can access BIOS and disable on-board VGA for you.
  • Options
    bobsled624bobsled624 Member Posts: 267 Bug Hunter
    Another option to try is this.

Open the Star Trek Online Launcher. Instead of pressing "Engage" go to the options menu on the top-bar. Once the menu is open, you should see an option to "Launch in Safe Mode." Once you're in (if it works,) check your Video/Display settings.

There seems to be an issue with some patches reverting some people's machine's to DX11, and this is causing crash to desktop issues.

Captain Mark Shranz | bIng 'aj Ro'Tal | erei'Riov Koval tr'Liun

"Your fun is not wrong" -Jeremy Randal@borticuscryptic

Proud Member of the Operational Support (Bug Hunter) Team
  • Options
    rndfluctuation#1470 rndfluctuation Member Posts: 813 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    While there I confirm my personal (yet newbie's) experience what bobsled624 wrote:
    "There seems to be an issue with some patches reverting some people's machine's to DX11, and this is causing crash to desktop issues." as bobsled624 wrote.

Note that if you DID manage to go to char selection screen though, you can already change the option directly from there! in a same manner as it's done in-game (same options -> settings -> video/display as bobsled624 posted about).

If you can't, then beside safe mode and then changing, like bobsled624 suggested, (try that 1st, IMO, before messing up with things,) there may still be a way;

if you still can't go into game etc by safe mode or otherwise, some multiple OTHERS like dragonhef01 (not my own idea) suggested game launcher -> options -> command line and putting there the right switch(es) to disable dx11 and force the desired dx9 version, and this may help if you surely know the switch and can't go in safe mode or otherwise and having dx11 version issue. It's like setting the switches on the specific game shortcut as I see it, but instead you do this from the specific game's launcher -> option -> command (NO RESPONSIBILITY though and don't know the accuracy of the suggested command line settings/switch(es)). An example possibly out of context which I found today while looking for the switch:
    How many have tested locking down the DX version? Under the launcher command line(bottom of options) enter "-d3d11enable 0 -d3d9ex" for DirectX 9EX. If you're low on memory(mine's an '11 i3 2gb laptop), end Arc before launching. Also it seems since the server upgrade, I no longer have to use the Win8 compatibility(but keep Admin checked). Another thing, enabling the RAM loading/less streaming setting in the advanced graphics settings(top one) seems to be doing its job better...Good Luck, Brad

This post of mine is not knowledgeable not accurate post written by a non pro, if you change any command line settings please try to verify ahead it's the correct setting you want. No responsibility - I am just a newbie who had issues regarding Dx11/Dx9 version settings too and who "recognized that symptom described".
    Post edited by rndfluctuation#1470 on
  • Options
    One point I forgot to mention earlier - it does help to give us some system specs, graphics card, cpu, ram, Operating system etc when posting issues such as this. The majority of us who will answer will be players (like myself) so we can only use our own systems as a guide and without knowing what hardware you have we can only make rough guesses. To put it in perspective you may have a top-end retail PC but unless another player has exactly the same model of PC built during the same production run then no comparison is possible.
  • Options
    rndfluctuation#1470 rndfluctuation Member Posts: 813 Arc User
    edited March 2016
    One point I forgot to mention earlier - it does help to give us some system specs, graphics card, cpu, ram, Operating system etc when posting issues such as this. The majority of us who will answer will be players (like myself) so we can only use our own systems as a guide and without knowing what hardware you have we can only make rough guesses. To put it in perspective you may have a top-end retail PC but unless another player has exactly the same model of PC built during the same production run then no comparison is possible.
    Just to clarify my post was not "negating" you and I agree. Also, declaring self a newbie in such regards.

Still, my comment meant regarding me and some others seemingly having some kinds of Dx11/Dx9 issues while things work well on Dx9 yet not on Dx11 and while it was defaulted to Dx11. (I don't know - in my case, this is probably simply non supported and yet still defaulted to, in some other cases, it possibly may be a needed work around due to a driver issue and/or detection issue, in some case there may be a real hardware issues as you said. I did not say otherwise.)

BTW, as this issue "returns" on new tribble installs (relating to it as a new install), it seems, even after the player had set it already for Dx9ex on holodeck, affecting also holodeck's new installs (including new and returning players or those who had to reinstall) allegedly and MIGHT possibly (maybe) be even changing after patches, it seems to me to be important.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Just to clarify my post was not "negating" you and I agree. Also, declaring self a newbie in such regards.

Still, my comment meant regarding me and some others seemingly having some kinds of Dx11/Dx9 issues while things work well on Dx9 yet not on Dx11 and while it was defaulted to Dx11. (I don't know - in my case, this is probably simply non supported and yet still defaulted to, in some other cases, it possibly may be a needed work around due to a driver issue and/or detection issue, in some case there may be a real hardware issues as you said. I did not say otherwise.)

BTW, as this issue "returns" on new tribble installs (relating to it as a new install), it seems, even after the player had set it already for Dx9ex on holodeck, affecting also holodeck's new installs (including new and returning players or those who had to reinstall) allegedly and MIGHT possibly (maybe) be even changing after patches, it seems to me to be important.

I didn't think you were negating my attempts to provide assistance and I can assure you no offence of any sort was taken. The reason for the post you quoted was (i) I did forget to mention earlier that providing systems specs does help players such as myself provide suggestions and (ii) to highlight that simply saying my system is a high spec PC isn't enough and that 2 apparently identical model systems could vary in components dependant on build date.

With regard to the issue appearing to return on tribble - each shard ("holodeck", "tribble" and "redshirt") should be regarded as a seperate install. Because tribble and redshirt are test servers they by design often run content which is bugged or under development, obviously this content needs to be kept seperate from holodeck. This means that an issue such as this which occurs on holodeck can also occur on either or both test servers. It also means that any solution applied to holodeck will not automatically be applied to tribble or redshirt.

If you follow the filepath to your STO install and open ...\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online you should see a folder for each shard (usually Live, Playtest and Beta) which you have accessed or patched. Inside each folder there is a further folder localdata which holds a unique setup for each shard. If you recall when you first access tribble or redshirt, you get the message informing you that your video settings have been reset. This is because the data you use for holodeck is not available to tribble or redshirt.

The short answer is that for ANY issue identified for holodeck, you MUST REPEAT the fix for tribble or redshirt if the same issue occurs there.

The DX9/DX11 issue is more a hardware/driver issue where an installed card or generic on-board vga doesn't have the ability to use DX11 but the driver used by design has both DX9 and DX11 functionality. The reason for this is that the same driver may be used for a newer spec card in the same product family which can use DX11 - however the newer card also has to be DX9 compatible to enable older softwre to function. The issue arises where the driver version is supplied instead of the hardware version to determine graphics standard, the general logic is then that DX11 is default due to the simple premise that "you wouldn't use an old tool when a new tool does the job better".

Never be afraid to ask for help though - if you don't know what you are doing ask, better that than getting frustrated and breaking things. (I generally spend at least 3-4 hours each week fixing the problems my father causes for himself on his PC - usually end up telling him to send a remote assist request and do it for him as this is easier than explaining over the phone or travelling 500 miles to do it) So I am at least newbie friendly :smile: