test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

As long as we are 'abandoning' skills that 'players use to grief eachother'....

First of all, never once in all the time I have been playing have I been griefed by someone using Abandon ship. It should be removed because it is a ridiculous ability, but since you brought up that people are griefing eachother with it (???) how about you have a look at a power that people are acually griefing with??

[Console - Universal - Sticky Web]

This console has the ability to interrupt any channeled power or deny a firing arc, potentially negating the value of a cooldown buffed alpha strike. Using it while playing with others assuredly reduces the teams damage by a signifigant margin. It is an ill conceived and disruptive ability, if you are so worried about people trolling eachother: try 'abandoning' this console.

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,529 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Context? Context is your friend! Context loves you and wants you to be happy!

I guessed the 2-25 patch notes, but nope. Some random thread you didn't bother to link to?
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    pulserazor wrote: »
    First of all, never once in all the time I have been playing have I been griefed by someone using Abandon ship. It should be removed because it is a ridiculous ability, but since you brought up that people are griefing eachother with it (???) how about you have a look at a power that people are acually griefing with??

This console has the ability to interrupt any channeled power or deny a firing arc, potentially negating the value of a cooldown buffed alpha strike. Using it while playing with others assuredly reduces the teams damage by a signifigant margin. It is an ill conceived and disruptive ability, if you are so worried about people trolling eachother: try 'abandoning' this console.
    Back in the day, you'd have people using it in orbit of ESD right at the spawn in point, blowing up anyone that would try to get in. It was lots of fun.. lol
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    askray wrote: »

Back in the day, you'd have people using it in orbit of ESD right at the spawn in point, blowing up anyone that would try to get in. It was lots of fun.. lol

waaay back in the day. but that doesent explain why they justify removing it today because of its griefing potential. And it doesent explain why they allow consoles like this web wall which can easily be used to grief.

I have seen that console used where it inconvenienced the team a lot more then it has helped.

Want to fly over Donatra before the thalaron vapes you? - WEB WALL DENY.

Want to spend your 2 minute cooldowns on a satisfying Sci Alpha vape? - WEB WALL DENY

Just loaded up CRF Apha Omega? - WEB WALL DENY

Heavy Torpedo? - WEB WALL DENY

Need to move? - WEB WALL DENY.

This console is utterly stupid.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Perhaps everyone should buy one of these dirt cheap consoles and see if they can come up with ways to annoy and sabotage teammates.

Context? Context is your friend! Context loves you and wants you to be happy!

I guessed the 2-25 patch notes, but nope. Some random thread you didn't bother to link to?

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9808983

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,529 Arc User
    Ah, the skills revamp FAQ:

Q: What is this new “Threatening Stance” ability? Where did “Abandon Ship” go?
    A: We have abandoned “Abandon Ship” – this ability was never very useful, and primarily only utilized to grief other players. We decided to remove it entirely, and replace it with the new ability: “Threatening Stance”
    By toggling on this new ability, the player may choose at any time to begin causing additional Threat to any enemies they are in combat with. Threat is what determines how an NPC foe chooses their target – the more you generate, the more likely they are to attack you.

But they are dropping it as useless AND used for griefing, not just for griefing. The web wall has uses just like the cover shield trolls use on the ground.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Indeed, never once in all the time I have been playing have I been griefed by someone using Abandon ship! I guess we can file their rationale to the same cabinet they pulled 'People have been asking for a Skill Revamp for years!' from.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited February 2016

While agreed on that Abandon ship was a weird ability, the rest of your post can be summarised as:

'Muh DPS!'

Seriously, that's hardly griefing what you're describing. And no, I don't use this. Though I might start doing so as I have it in my bank, cause everything that can obstruct the use of Attack Pattern Alpha is more than welcome.

Edit: no intention to really start using it as it isn't worth a console slot, but I'm sure there are people who appreciate the ideas you've just given them.
    Post edited by risian4 on
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,076 Community Moderator
    I have seen that console used where it inconvenienced the team a lot more then it has helped.

Want to spend your 2 minute cooldowns on a satisfying Sci Alpha vape? - WEB WALL DENY

Actually... that's just bad timing by the looks of it. The Sticky Web functions exactly as advertised. Its a wall in space that can catch things. Its no different than the Barrier Field Generator console KDF side or even the older Web Wall console from back with the Tholian box and I think the Orb Weaver.

Just because YOU find it inconvenient doesn't mean its used to grief others. Its a console that one needs to learn how to use effectively. One tactic I used with the KDF Barrier Field is to pop it in front of Donatra before she Thaleron Blasts. The wall takes the hit, and everyone behind it is perfectly safe.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Actually... that's just bad timing by the looks of it. The Sticky Web functions exactly as advertised. Its a wall in space that can catch things. Its no different than the Barrier Field Generator console KDF side or even the older Web Wall console from back with the Tholian box and I think the Orb Weaver.

Just because YOU find it inconvenient doesn't mean its used to grief others. Its a console that one needs to learn how to use effectively. One tactic I used with the KDF Barrier Field is to pop it in front of Donatra before she Thaleron Blasts. The wall takes the hit, and everyone behind it is perfectly safe.

Agreed. I've seen this thing being used maybe once, in fleet alert. No big deal, you can easily fly around it. It's not like it can be constantly used anyway as the OP is pretending. Also, given the insanely low price for a lock box console, it's probably not that popular apparantly.

OP seems just to be complaining for the heck of it.
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    Honestly, I was confused about this as well. Abandon ship was used as a griefing tool, years ago. Eventually they added a a low health requirement to use it, so it stopped being used as one. Truthfully, I wasn't sure why they didn't just remove it then, but whatever.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited February 2016

God yes! That was fun. Find a Miranda or 2 and go boom! and in chat you see "WTF happened to me!?" o:) And then the possiblity of a chain reaction of warp breaches was icing on the cake.

I also miss the ice cube effect of the biothermal dampener grenade.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I think the primary reason they removed it was that it was pretty much totally useless, was consistently not used, and the times where they had seen more use of it (before that was limited), it was to grief.

I don't think that the power you mention qualifies, because it clearly has a use and can be used effectively in combat. It can also be used counter-productively, and maybe that's something that requires rework.

Every time I organize my skill tray on a new ship, I deliberately put Abandon ship on a row that I will never use and see again, just to be certain that it doesn't get auto-readded when the game thinks I accidentally deleted it.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    One tactic I used with the KDF Barrier Field is to pop it in front of Donatra before she Thaleron [sic] Blasts. The wall takes the hit, and everyone behind it is perfectly safe.

And here I'd been using that other tactic known as "not being in the line of fire." Since she won't cloak while getting ready to fire, I'm scraping down her flanking and rear shields, dusting her with warp plasma, and generally blowing the chrome off her bumpers. But if you guys wanna camp in front of the Big Gun, well, you go right ahead.
    boldly-watched.png
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    jbmonroe wrote: »
    One tactic I used with the KDF Barrier Field is to pop it in front of Donatra before she Thaleron [sic] Blasts. The wall takes the hit, and everyone behind it is perfectly safe.

And here I'd been using that other tactic known as "not being in the line of fire." Since she won't cloak while getting ready to fire, I'm scraping down her flanking and rear shields, dusting her with warp plasma, and generally blowing the chrome off her bumpers. But if you guys wanna camp in front of the Big Gun, well, you go right ahead.

Eh, I've done it on occasion too. That or threw up every buff up to and including Advanced Metaphasic Shields from the Solanae set. Makes for a refreshing change from just pounding at it forever.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Well you could set up an alpha striker/ drainboat hybrid. Just throw siphon, Tykens Rift and Neutronic torpedoes at her and then beat that borg TRIBBLE to pieces. It's really easy when they don't shoot back... :D
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    Ah, the wall web has the same trolling power as a few other consoles like the barrier generator

CCA, wait for the aoe, fly behind a target you know will reverse backpedal to 10km and cast the barrier - they reverse into it and get stuck, taking the aoe to the face

The wall web does the exact same thing but few complain about that​​
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    The issue isn't the mechanics it's the people. Don't blame the gun for the murder etc.

Report the person and put them on your block list, run missions with fleetmates or in a channel. There are ways to avoid bad people.
  • Options
    hanover2hanover2 Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    burstorion wrote: »
    Ah, the wall web has the same trolling power as a few other consoles like the barrier generator

CCA, wait for the aoe, fly behind a target you know will reverse backpedal to 10km and cast the barrier - they reverse into it and get stuck, taking the aoe to the face

The wall web does the exact same thing but few complain about that​​

My larger ships like the Jupiter sometimes get stuck in it before I have a chance to do anything. The wall bisects my ship and immobilizes it. Polarize Hull, APO, Evasive Maneuvers, nothing will break the ship free in those cases.

Until that malfunction is corrected, the web wall console remains firmly in the "broken cheese for griefers" category.

• Options
    kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User

waaay back in the day. but that doesent explain why they justify removing it today because of its griefing potential. And it doesent explain why they allow consoles like this web wall which can easily be used to grief.

This console is utterly stupid.

I must concur. Web wall gotz ta gao!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Indeed, never once in all the time I have been playing have I been griefed by someone using Abandon ship! I guess we can file their rationale to the same cabinet they pulled 'People have been asking for a Skill Revamp for years!' from.
    I would guess that griefing is a secondary reason and the primary reason is that it's useless.

Ramming speed is actually NOT useless, if you have the doff to make your ship not take ramming damage when ramming.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,785 Arc User
    But they are dropping it as useless AND used for griefing, not just for griefing. The web wall has uses just like the cover shield trolls use on the ground.

I don't particularly care for Web Wall.

Cover Shield, though, is useful for Summoner Engineers. It protects the Mortar Turrets without blocking their shots.
  • Options
    jadz3jadz3 Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    Ok. So I don't get it. Maybe it's just me but isn't Sticky Web the NEW console? Does it not function differently than the previous console? This current Console can not even be fired without an enemy target. And while I have found as a player I can not FLY through it I CAN SHOOT through it just fine. I use it on my Tholian Tetryon build on my Romulan quite a lot and have not had ANYONE complain about being unable to continue firing through it.
    My thoughts? You're talking about a different console than Sticky Web. Friendlies should be able to continue firing through it while enemy targets can not.
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Wow, I am glad Cryptics not asleep at the wheel!

Abandon ship was fixed during BETA because of SFD greifing people outside of ESD, and publishing videos on YouTube, SIX YEARS AGO!

Whats next, not allowing players to invite others on thier bridge because cross faction players used to get griefed in instant PvP combat?

Patch note 12/20/2022:

- Have fixed the bug that makes cloaked vessels decloak during dialogue.
  • Options
    askrayaskray Member Posts: 3,329 Arc User
    Uh. Abandon ship was not fixed in beta.

It had the requirement for low hull put in months after launch, then its damage was reduced like a year later due to people using it to obliterate the crystalline entity.
    Yes, I'm that Askray@Batbayer in game. Yes, I still play. No, I don't care.
    Former Community Moderator, Former SSR DJ, Now Full time father to two kids, Husband, Retail Worker.
    Tiktok: @Askray Facebook: Askray113

• Options
    edited February 2016
    risian4 wrote: »

While agreed on that Abandon ship was a weird ability, the rest of your post can be summarised as:

'Muh DPS!'

Seriously, that's hardly griefing what you're describing. And no, I don't use this. Though I might start doing so as I have it in my bank, cause everything that can obstruct the use of Attack Pattern Alpha is more than welcome.

Edit: no intention to really start using it as it isn't worth a console slot, but I'm sure there are people who appreciate the ideas you've just given them.

It really isn't about "muh dps" I have been playing this game too long to care about a parse log. It is annoying when I spend time, money and effort on consoles, powers et cetera that sit on cooldowns and I am denied the satisfaction of using them because some twit thought it would be a good idea to deny an entire half of the playing field a clear shot at a primary target, or drop my flight speed to zero by strategically dropping it just as I am doing a fly-by. The ways this console has aggravated me are endless, really.

And I hope people do appreciate these ideas, I hope they see this thread and realize the griefing potential of this console, perhaps if it becomes a bigger issue it might be addressed. Cant tholian npc's fire through their own webs and walls?

Since this console is just a copy of the Phalanx Barrier Field Console with a different gfx, maybe people should equip both of them for maximum trolling effect, you might as well throw TBR on there too.

Honestly, I imagine most of the people who use this console, and skills like TBR don't realize how much of a detriment they are to the whole team
  • Options
    edited February 2016

You must not be the one Donatra constantly has agro on, I can either take the long way around and not score as much damage, or I can fly straight down her throat and land 5km behind her before the Thalaron cycles for maximum effect. Try to understand that lazy loop faw isn't the only way, and not the best way vs single targets.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    the borg used to troll a lot of people with invisible insta-death torpedoes. those were a bloody nightmare at times.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    the borg used to troll a lot of people with invisible insta-death torpedoes. those were a bloody nightmare at times.

They still do this, it just don't work as well now because of the FAW meta.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,076 Community Moderator
    It really isn't about "muh dps" I have been playing this game too long to care about a parse log. It is annoying when I spend time, money and effort on consoles, powers et cetera that sit on cooldowns and I am denied the satisfaction of using them because some twit thought it would be a good idea to deny an entire half of the playing field a clear shot at a primary target, or drop my flight speed to zero by strategically dropping it just as I am doing a fly-by. The ways this console has aggravated me are endless, really.

And I hope people do appreciate these ideas, I hope they see this thread and realize the griefing potential of this console, perhaps if it becomes a bigger issue it might be addressed. Cant tholian npc's fire through their own webs and walls?

Since this console is just a copy of the Phalanx Barrier Field Console with a different gfx, maybe people should equip both of them for maximum trolling effect, you might as well throw TBR on there too.

Honestly, I imagine most of the people who use this console, and skills like TBR don't realize how much of a detriment they are to the whole team

Its still a brand new console, and frankly, I have NOT seen this behavior whatsoever. I'm surprised you're not asking for the inate Engie Cover Shield to get pulled because of griefing while you're at it! Then how about smoke grenades because "I can't see where my target is!" And after that Gravity Well because "It pulls my target out of my firing arc!" And then...

where does it stop? When all we have left for actual tactics is Beam: Fire at Will spam?

Its a situational console that has its uses and the people who do use it have to know when to deploy it strategically. The problem is hardly anyone communicates in game these days. Its all autopilot, expect everyone knows what to do and how to do it, rush in and finish.

The Barrier Field console can be useful for protecting a team from a thaleron blast if used properly, or even to divert and block enemies from attacking certain things. The Sticky Web can be used to catch ships, dropping their defense because they get stuck, and allowing the team to get free hits on said ships.

Its no different than any other ability. You gotta learn how to use it. Demanding it gets pulled because of the griefing potential is rather petty, especially if the argument boils down to "I don't like it" or "I had a bad run with one" so "remove it for griefing!"

BTW... disco balls were used for griefing in STFs when they first came out and they're still around.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)