test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Game Stutters Badly At Costume Tailor

warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
edited February 2016 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
My Fed Female Vulcan is seeing a significant amount of game stuttering when using the Costume Tailor. Did not see this before today's patch. If it makes a difference, I unlocked both the Lobi Terran Empire costume boxes today with this character. But it still lags badly even on Non-Terran Empire uniforms. It has stuttered badly to a point where STO had a CTD. Did a Verify Installation when the launcher came back up, I still lag on this character.

I hopped onto my KDF Male Alien and I didn't notice any stuggering with him.

I also hopped onto my Fed Female Alien that did not have the Lobi Terran Empire costumes unlocked and she had no noticeable lag.
XzRTofz.gif

Comments

• Options
    sgtfloydpepper#7911 sgtfloydpepper Member Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    The tailor has been laggy as hell since November. I get the impression there's a memory leak or some such in there somewhere.
    1xe027q.png
  • Options
    galactickirigalactickiri Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    For me, this only happens when you move a slider to adjust a body proportion.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    For me, this only happens when you move a slider to adjust a body proportion.

It happens in everything for me on the affected toon. Choosing colors. Changing uniform categories. Changing uniform items. Everything stutters and it actually takes forever to modify a uniform slot.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    iwontsayiwontsay Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    Before someone shouts "necroing old thread" I think It's definitely warranted when adding new content to not to clutter searches with lots of dead topics...

AMD Phenom (four cores, constant load about 50%), GTX 970 should be enough to let STO run decently even on highest settings, yet I experienced a severe stuttering at the tailor in the Starfleet Academy, a noticeable one at Earth Spacedock... and none on Drozana station.

Before you ask, these hints with tweaking CPU parking didn't work for me. Not in the least.

My take on things is that it hasn't something to do with process and CPU scheduling, but the fact that the character isn't taken out of the area when visiting the tailor, and the movement and state updates from the NPCs in vicinity are still processed in the background, even if they are not shown.

If you look at it, Starfleet Academy has lots of NPCs running to and fro, the Spacedock several, and Drozana only very few, so that matches. As well as a noticeable 'glitch' when you watch the NPCs moving around in Starfleet Academy, which happens at the same rate as the stuttering at the tailor.

So, as a workaround, you have to visit the tailor at less busy areas.

As a user, there is no way to fix the bug, the developers either have to redo the movement processing for NPCs to avoid usage spikes (like, don't have them calculate their next steps at the same time, balance the load), and do more multithreading, since even on a four core system there's still more processing power to use.