What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

YES! Frigate pet full impulse

"Added Full Impulse ability to carrier frigates"

Yes! Yes! Yes!
5rFUCPd.png

Comments

• cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    All I want to know is if they'll use it smartly to get out of warp core breach splashes! Please!
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    Indeed. Gonna stick on a pair of callistos on my carrier and test them out!
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    I was excited at first but I just did a borg red alert in the alpha quadrant and my Callistos wouldn't follow at full impulse :( I'm going to go to the badlands and see if they do the same.
  • hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Yeah just came from Infected advanced I don't think Callistos are going to full impulse either. I even hung around after the match to see if they would but they just stayed around 20km away from me. Very disappointing.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    The more important question is Frigates can finally point the right direction to fire their forward heavy weapons.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • nateham101#2745 nateham101 Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    Or did they fix the Callisto's so they do not stay in combat all the time. The main problem with those is that they never exited combat, and therefor could never use full impulse. I do not know about you guys, but even sitting in the sol system, their shield grid was always on, and they would gain pet rank just sitting there. Hangar pets in combat will not goto full impulse.
    1Wlp6QH.gif
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    this should be put in tribble for some testing, get player feedback on the whole carrier system. infact cryptic should do away with his half crud carrier system and build a whole new one with a greater range of abilities and one the developers can work with and control a lot more.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • wintermutevreswintermutevres Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Same here. I'm sitting at ds9 atm. Callistos still gaining ranks and still dont go full impulse ofc.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Disappointing, but hardly surprising.

I was hoping this fix would work, but I knew better then to get my hopes up. Maybe they'll try again next week. :(
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Yeah that's unfornunate especially on bigger maps.
    Has the problem been fixed for the other frigates like the BoPs?
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    All I want to know is if they'll use it smartly to get out of warp core breach splashes! Please!

In case you haven't noticed, Full Impulse can't be used in combat.
    warpangel wrote: »

In case you haven't noticed, Full Impulse can't be used in combat.

Indeed. Silly thought on my part there. Still, wouldn't mind an AI fix to help with that splash.
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• jheinigjheinig Member Posts: 364 Cryptic Developer
    Ok, technical time.

When we first implemented carrier commands, they were set up so that they would re-send the current command every second -- essentially, the carrier would keep refreshing the message of "this is what you should be doing" every second, so that if a fighter went out of range, had just been spawned and previously had no orders (because it hadn't launched until now), had its behavior overridden somehow, etc., the fighters would pick up the orders quickly and do the appropriate behaviors.

When we updated carrier control to include different hangar bays, this functionality was changed under the hood (at the software level), partly because sending out a command every second to every small craft you had on the map could get pretty server-intensive if you had a couple full carriers and a lot of other stuff going on. The per-hangar bay update reduced the refresh rate and it also affected how the commands were received.

In addition, all of the frigate-type small craft literally did not have the powers necessary to use full impulse, so even if their command set said "Go to full impulse to follow your owner," they could not.

In this new update I've changed how the messages are received so that if a small craft didn't get a message, or it had its behavior overridden temporarily, it should be better about picking up that command now. This should make fighters a bit more responsive, but because the programming for how the messages are SENT has not changed, it might still take several seconds for a small craft to pick up orders if you launch a new one.

Additionally, I have given the appropriate full impulse power to all of the frigate-class small craft.

The final piece will require programmer support to change how the messages are SENT, so that instead of having updates that only come every so often when the UI refreshes carrier commands, they can instead place a state on your carrier so that your pets can just say "What does my carrier want my hangar bay to do? Do that" without requiring additional server cycles for computation.

There will still be cases in this patch in which your small craft may seem nonresponsive, or newly-launched craft may go into attack runs for a short time before switching to the command currently issued to their hangar wing. My goal is to work with the software team to get this sorted out and smoothed.

There are also still some issues with the custom behavior routines for certain small craft that are set up to try to make forward-facing strafing runs. There are limits to how much this can be smoothed out; it will be a continuing process as improvements become possible.

For those who are curious, my KDF-side character is a Gorn engineer flying a Fleet T5-U Vo'quv, so small craft performance is also a personal issue for me.
    jheinig wrote: »
    Ok, technical time.

When we first implemented carrier commands, they were set up so that they would re-send the current command every second -- essentially, the carrier would keep refreshing the message of "this is what you should be doing" every second, so that if a fighter went out of range, had just been spawned and previously had no orders (because it hadn't launched until now), had its behavior overridden somehow, etc., the fighters would pick up the orders quickly and do the appropriate behaviors.

When we updated carrier control to include different hangar bays, this functionality was changed under the hood (at the software level), partly because sending out a command every second to every small craft you had on the map could get pretty server-intensive if you had a couple full carriers and a lot of other stuff going on. The per-hangar bay update reduced the refresh rate and it also affected how the commands were received.

In addition, all of the frigate-type small craft literally did not have the powers necessary to use full impulse, so even if their command set said "Go to full impulse to follow your owner," they could not.

In this new update I've changed how the messages are received so that if a small craft didn't get a message, or it had its behavior overridden temporarily, it should be better about picking up that command now. This should make fighters a bit more responsive, but because the programming for how the messages are SENT has not changed, it might still take several seconds for a small craft to pick up orders if you launch a new one.

Additionally, I have given the appropriate full impulse power to all of the frigate-class small craft.

The final piece will require programmer support to change how the messages are SENT, so that instead of having updates that only come every so often when the UI refreshes carrier commands, they can instead place a state on your carrier so that your pets can just say "What does my carrier want my hangar bay to do? Do that" without requiring additional server cycles for computation.

There will still be cases in this patch in which your small craft may seem nonresponsive, or newly-launched craft may go into attack runs for a short time before switching to the command currently issued to their hangar wing. My goal is to work with the software team to get this sorted out and smoothed.

There are also still some issues with the custom behavior routines for certain small craft that are set up to try to make forward-facing strafing runs. There are limits to how much this can be smoothed out; it will be a continuing process as improvements become possible.

For those who are curious, my KDF-side character is a Gorn engineer flying a Fleet T5-U Vo'quv, so small craft performance is also a personal issue for me.
    Thanks so much for the behind the scenes perspective! And thanks for your hard work. :)

vGdvFsX.jpg

• antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Ok, technical time.

Thanks for the behind the screen look at helping out the frigates.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    Thanks! Better isn't perfect, but better IS better, so keep at it :).

Though pretty much all hanger ships need "scratched the paint" as a default :wink:.
    Thanks this was very informitive :D
  • ajalenajalen Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    nikeix wrote: »
    Thanks! Better isn't perfect, but better IS better, so keep at it :).

Though pretty much all hanger ships need "scratched the paint" as a default :wink:.

yea !

maybe in new "skills" , some boost carrier pets - so mybe one if u give for example 3 points there give u "scratch the paint" passive for pets.......

mzspQIG.jpg

• neomodiousneomodious Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    Any way to have them move like the non-combat space pets do when they're catching up? I've been in slipstream and seen them catching up...​​

First, let me say I appreciate the effort as well as the explanation so thank you for that.

I do however, believe it's possible that your change did not get into Holodeck with this last patch. The Callisto performance is completely unaffected in any way, I just tested them in a variety of scenarios and they definitely do not have full impulse capability. Even if they're not in combat and no where near it, when you go to impulse Callisto's don't even try to follow you. They just sit there and do nothing.

I'm not doubting your word, but I think it possible that there was an error in communication somewhere because the Callisto frigate received absolutely no change or improvement in behavior at all. Is it possible for someone to look at the current holodeck build to verify that the changes made it into the patch?
    edited February 2016

First, let me say I appreciate the effort as well as the explanation so thank you for that.

I do however, believe it's possible that your change did not get into Holodeck with this last patch. The Callisto performance is completely unaffected in any way, I just tested them in a variety of scenarios and they definitely do not have full impulse capability. Even if they're not in combat and no where near it, when you go to impulse Callisto's don't even try to follow you. They just sit there and do nothing.

I'm not doubting your word, but I think it possible that there was an error in communication somewhere because the Callisto frigate received absolutely no change or improvement in behavior at all. Is it possible for someone to look at the current holodeck build to verify that the changes made it into the patch?

That is because of the main problem. And ive opened bug reports about this from day 1...

They, and other craft are not using full impulse because they are remaining in combat almost 100% of the time. The developers need to look into this. I left mine sitting in the SOL system for 20 min. I came back and noticed that all of my hangar pets have achieved rank 5 pet rank. That does not happen unless they are in combat and stuck there. Also, you will notice the shield grid is always on around each of the craft. That means they are in combat.
    1Wlp6QH.gif
    Ok, technical time.

They will not use full impulse. The problem with most of the frigate craft, like the B'rel and the Callisto, is that they are remaining in a combat state all the time. Sitting in sol system, they are achieving pet rank and their shield visuals are constantly on and off every second. Pets that are in combat will not use full impulse, and the B'rel will not cloak.
    1Wlp6QH.gif
    Same here. I'm sitting at ds9 atm. Callistos still gaining ranks and still dont go full impulse ofc.

Yep ^^ This right here. The main problem is not fixed. These pets are staying in combat.

From what I have experienced, the elite BOP's for the Vo'Quv, the Callistos and the elite Meshweavers. After the patch was implemented today, I tried the fix out with my meashweavers. Same issue. They remainined in combat, and eventually despawned when I got too far away from them.

So, still broke!
    1Wlp6QH.gif
  • jheinigjheinig Member Posts: 364 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2016
    From above:
    edited February 2016
    They're not staying in combat, they simply don't have 'full impulse.'

I just went into Sol system and launched my frigates. No combat, just launched them and went to full impulse.

When my carrier takes off, the Callisto's make the animation that they're going to full impulse, their engines light up like they're going to take off, but they go absolutely nowhere. They don't move, they just sit there. After about 5-10 seconds, they very slowly start moving toward the carrier.

This is a scenario where there is no combat at all.

Callisto's do not currently have Full Impulse, rather there is combat involved or not. If this change was made, it was not incorporated into the current holodeck build.
    edited February 2016

I just went into Sol system and launched my frigates. No combat, just launched them and went to full impulse.

When my carrier takes off, the Callisto's make the animation that they're going to full impulse, their engines light up like they're going to take off, but they go absolutely nowhere. They don't move, they just sit there. After about 20 seconds, they very slowly start moving toward the carrier.

Callisto's do not currently have Full Impulse, rather there is combat involved or not. If this change was made, it was not incorporated into the current holodeck build.

Most of the fighters I have do not have the combat problem. I am talking specifically about the Callistos, the BOP's and the meshweavers. If I have to, I will take a video of what is happening. The person posted earlier has the same experience. I am not imagining things. Sit there with your Callistos for 15 min. Watch them gain pet rank. That is not supposed to happen.

They are remaining in a combat state. This is the cause of the pets gaining "pet rank" and keeping their shield indicators illuminated while sitting idle. Even after 2 hours they continue to do this.

Suppose it does no good to explain it to people. They are going to read only what they understand. Ive put my carrier ships away for this problem, and until I see some solid patch notes and testing done that proves they are fixed, they will stay that way :)

Good luck!
    1Wlp6QH.gif
    edited February 2016

When my carrier takes off, the Callisto's make the animation that they're going to full impulse, their engines light up like they're going to take off, but they go absolutely nowhere. They don't move, they just sit there. After about 20 seconds, they very slowly start moving toward the carrier.

Most of the fighters I have do not have the combat problem. I am talking specifically about the Callistos, the BOP's and the meshweavers. If I have to, I will take a video of what is happening. The person posted earlier has the same experience. I am not imagining things. Sit there with your Callistos for 15 min. Watch them gain pet rank. That is not supposed to happen.

They are remaining in a combat state. This is the cause of the pets gaining "pet rank" and keeping their shield indicators illuminated while sitting idle. Even after 2 hours they continue to do this.

Interesting, so you're saying they enter combat even if there are no hostiles on the screen?

If so, then I apologize, I thought you were saying they just wouldn't drop out of combat. If the ships gain rank just sitting there doing nothing, then clearly you're right. I don't have this issue on any of my other pets, though I mostly use Fighters (Swarmers.)

I do have the Breen Plesh Brek Raiders, and they do not seem to have this problem. I have only seen it on Callisto's. If what you're saying is true, then that would explain why the Devs say they have Full Impulse but they never use it. They can't use the ability outside of combat and apparently they're never outside of combat.

Thanks for the clarification.
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    essentially, the carrier would keep refreshing the message of "this is what you should be doing" every second,

Hmm, that's nor canon (very important) and nor efficient. I think it's dumb and here's how I would do it.

When I launch pets, I would init the objects with the default order you have on the hangar. It's a standing order until I change that order. It doesn't need refreshing. Attack parent's target with full vengeance. I think it would be much better to tweak their AI. Pet's self preservation subroutines are ... allow me to be blunt ... are TRIBBLE. And that's a very essential part of Star Trek. Veer off from a destroying target. I would use the Voronoi algo to find the safest passage and distance between multiple core breaches.

Another idea of mine. I have the dreadnought pack. I love it. I use saucer separation religiously, I love it. My problem is they go down too easy. Could you make that I can heal up or revive the saucer when it reaches 0% HP without toggle sep button off wait for the 2 mins to launch it again?

Anyhow thanks for the technical post, I really appreciate it.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • dlmc85dlmc85 Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    In the patch they didn't mention romulan drone ships, are they affected by this change?