test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

'Trek' may be leaving Amazon Prime; the future of TV is nigh!

mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
Just saw this TrekCore article... apparently, Amazon's streaming deal with CBS may be expiring. If this is the case, then Amazon will lose the ability to freely stream the 5 Star Trek TV properties. (While the article has questions about the availability of purchased episodes, I don't think that would be an issue, since Amazon Prime Streaming is different from simply buying digital media on Amazon).

Yesterday, I said in another thread that CBS may be closing their grip on Trek, in order to pump up the attractiveness of CBS All Access. I referred to Netflix in the post, but this may be the first "salvo" in that move. To me, it only seems like smart business... if some people have Netflix subscriptions solely for the ability to stream Star Trek, then CBS would be wise to keep as much of that money as possible. I'll be curious to see if there isn't a last-minute renewal of the deal... if there isn't, then this gets a lot more interesting, IMO.

And this thread is, in part, to those that are against CBS' decision to stream the new Trek series. I agree that they may be biting off more than they can chew, but I also think that this will be the future of content consumption. TrekCore's article also mentions that The CW may be considering launching a streaming service. The NFL is now exploring streaming Thursday Night Football games online, after a successful test this past season. No one is talking about the 800-pound gorilla (Disney), who could easily start their own streaming network solely based on Marvel and Lucasfilm properties.

My point? Don't be so quick to ditch support for the new series, or CBS.
d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    The only thing people are up in arms about is the "exclusive" angle. ONLY showing it on their own, PAY TO WATCH streaming service. Some people don't want to pay for 50 different streaming services to watch things. NetFlix is pretty good as they have a wide selection that isn't limited to what they alone put out. The fact they're not even considering airing it on TV where a lot of their viewers are still... is also a sore spot because it FORCES people to pay for another service just to watch one show.

IMO its as bad an idea as how Windows Vista's limitations on what can be run on it.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    yeah Im not against the existence of digital services, but Im not payin out just to watch 1 show. Now if they were smart they'd offer something like an ala carte menu... buy em per episode at the cheap. But I dont watch anything on CBS right now so... why would I want to shuck out $6 a month for 1 hour per week(assuming its like previous series)? Netflix, Hulu, or even Amazon Prime(which I wont use for a different reason) all provide me with a vast library of shows and movies for the price... closer to getting value for my cash.

Imo we're heading for a dark time with streaming, where just like Steam... everyone wants their own version of it exclusive to their TRIBBLE. we dont need ARC, Steam, GOG Galaxy, Uplay, Origin, etc etc etc.... I see the same coming down the line for streaming tv.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Enh, I'm still waiting to see how many TV shows they put on their service.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    You know, the more I hear about CBSs recent activities, the more I am inclined to ditch support for them. I don't like how they're funneling everything Trek content consumption toward them (Taking down Axanar, exclusively streaming through their own service, and taking Trek off Amazon). I like being able to choose between sources for my purchases, and they're crowding that out.
    we dont need ARC, Steam, GOG Galaxy, Uplay, Origin, etc etc etc....
    That's why I'm favoring Humble Bundle--they grant Steam keys and also, where applicable, other versions such as Uplay codes or DRM-free executable. Single source, multiple options.
  • mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    edited January 2016
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The only thing people are up in arms about is the "exclusive" angle. ONLY showing it on their own, PAY TO WATCH streaming service. Some people don't want to pay for 50 different streaming services to watch things. NetFlix is pretty good as they have a wide selection that isn't limited to what they alone put out. The fact they're not even considering airing it on TV where a lot of their viewers are still... is also a sore spot because it FORCES people to pay for another service just to watch one show.

IMO its as bad an idea as how Windows Vista's limitations on what can be run on it.

Again, I get that... part of me may even agree with you... but, if CBS continues making these moves, then you're not paying $6 a month for a TV show. Instead, you're paying $6 a month for unlimited access to all of televised Star Trek. That changes the conversation (or, at least, CBS likely believes it will).

THAT is the future of television, as we know it. You're not paying $120+ a month for 1000+ channels, of which you only watch about 20. As cable channels die off or transition, it's very possible you'll see all studios recoil, and channel their content to their own distribution avenues. This is much bigger than CBS and Star Trek. Again, I would not be shocked if Disney releases a Marvel Studios streaming app at some point within the next five years, granting access to all of the movies, shows, and cartoons related to the MCU... and, once the various sports leagues figure streaming out, then stuff will really hit the fan.

And, as I (and others) have stated... you do realize that you don't have to pay CBS $6 for the rest of your life, correct? Aside from the fact that we don't know much about the new series, it's quite possible you'll only need to pay $6 a month for 2-3 months a year...
    You know, the more I hear about CBSs recent activities, the more I am inclined to ditch support for them. I don't like how they're funneling everything Trek content consumption toward them (Taking down Axanar, exclusively streaming through their own service, and taking Trek off Amazon). I like being able to choose between sources for my purchases, and they're crowding that out.

Oh, please...

Axanar was, and is, not an officially licensed Trek product. Plain and simple. Don't buy that "second coming of the Great Bird of the Galaxy" snake oil that Alec Peters is selling.

That would be like me complaining about Nike going after counterfeit NFL gear... I may like the designs, I may like the price, but that ain't no "free market" choice.
    Enh, I'm still waiting to see how many TV shows they put on their service.

Oh, me too, LOL... they aren't getting my money until it's absolutely necessary.

I'm really hoping they'll release an iTunes season pass... if it's a weekly release.
    Imo we're heading for a dark time with streaming, where just like Steam... everyone wants their own version of it exclusive to their TRIBBLE. we dont need ARC, Steam, GOG Galaxy, Uplay, Origin, etc etc etc.... I see the same coming down the line for streaming tv.

I think that's exactly where it's heading. I find it fascinating!

Not sure if it's a good idea, mind you... :wink:
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    mhall85 wrote: »
    I'm really hoping they'll release an iTunes season pass... if it's a weekly release.

iTunes? LOL

If they decide to do an EXCLUSIVE thing, they aren't going to let iTunes touch their stuff. They want you to get their stuff.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »

iTunes? LOL

If they decide to do an EXCLUSIVE thing, they aren't going to let iTunes touch their stuff. They want you to get their stuff.

While, yes, it's possible they may withhold the new Trek from iTunes... have you ever purchased TV shows on iTunes?

I've purchased both How I Met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory, both CBS properties, on iTunes. I got each episode the day after they aired, in HD or SD (depending how much I paid for it). It's like buying a digital copy of an entire season on DVD or Blu-ray... I own them. It's different from a Netflix or Hulu.
    edited January 2016

Oh, please...

Axanar was, and is, not an officially licensed Trek product. Plain and simple. Don't buy that "second coming of the Great Bird of the Galaxy" snake oil that Alec Peters is selling.

That would be like me complaining about Nike going after counterfeit NFL gear... I may like the designs, I may like the price, but that ain't no "free market" choice.
    Yes, I know that, and I know that they are perfectly within their legal rights to do so. I simply don't like it when corporations stomp on creativity, especially for franchises as old as Star Trek.

Axanar itself isn't that important to me, rather it represents the sort of shift in media creation and distribution I want to see, characterized by creation of content by consumers rather than corporations, while CBS and other corporations are, as usual, trying to stomp out competition and exercise ever more control. I understand why, but I don't support it because they're trying to take media in a direction I don't want and stomp out the sort of things I do want.

Oh, please...

Yes, I know that, and I know that they are perfectly within their legal rights to do so. I simply don't like it when corporations stomp on creativity, especially for franchises as old as Star Trek. Axanar itself isn't that important to me, rather it represents the sort of shift in media creation and distribution I want[ to see, characterized by creation of content by consumers rather than corporations, while CBS and other corporations are, as usual, trying to stomp out competition and draw exercise ever more control. They're trying to take media in a direction I don't want and stomp out the sort of things I do want.

Well, that opens the door to IP law... and I am not well-versed in that, LOL.

Still, Axanar is painting themselves as the champion of the conflict you speak of, and that is shady and wrong of them, IMO. (Now, if you want to insert Joss Whedon and Firefly into this, then that argument might make more sense to me.) Alec Peters is fighting for a very expensive piece of fan fiction, not something he created himself, solely. He has no right to be considered "competition" (and if he wants to be "competition," then that proves he's in the wrong with Axanar).

And, I don't think you really want content to rest in the hands of the consumers, LOL... I know I want content to be in the hands of talented creators.
    You're not paying $120+ a month for 1000+ channels, of which you only watch about 20.

I dont pay that much for cable/phone/internet combo... if you're paying that for just cable you are doin it VERY wrong... can I haz yer moniez
    You're not paying $120+ a month for 1000+ channels, of which you only watch about 20.

I dont pay that much for cable/phone/internet combo... if you're paying that for just cable you are doin it VERY wrong... can I haz yer moniez

LOL :smile:

Figures may be exaggerated, but not by much... and if your cable bill is shrinking, that means there's less money to go back to the networks, which would explain stories like ESPN complaining about losing money. In any case, it may still force content providers towards a more direct avenue to reach their consumers, as cable companies shrink. Cable companies were a house of cards that was destined to fall at some point.

Oh, please...

Yes, I know that, and I know that they are perfectly within their legal rights to do so. I simply don't like it when corporations stomp on creativity, especially for franchises as old as Star Trek. Axanar itself isn't that important to me, rather it represents the sort of shift in media creation and distribution I want[ to see, characterized by creation of content by consumers rather than corporations, while CBS and other corporations are, as usual, trying to stomp out competition and draw exercise ever more control. They're trying to take media in a direction I don't want and stomp out the sort of things I do want.

Well, that opens the door to IP law... and I am not well-versed in that, LOL.
    US Copyright law in a nutshell is the that individual creators retain copyright for their life, plus an extra few decades, and corporations retain copyright until they can lobby for extensions. :tongue: Thanks to said extensions, nothing new will enter the public domain until 2019 unless the creator specifically releases it.

Copyright execution is more complex, you have traditional fan-fiction which is generally tolerated, but increasingly you have well-organized, high-quality fan projects like Axanar. This is new, messy, and exciting.
    Still, Axanar is painting themselves as the champion of the conflict you speak of, and that is shady and wrong of them, IMO. (Now, if you want to insert Joss Whedon and Firefly into this, then that argument might make more sense to me.) Alec Peters is fighting for a very expensive piece of fan fiction, not something he created himself, solely. He has no right to be considered "competition" (and if he wants to be "competition," then that proves he's in the wrong with Axanar).
    Yeah, from what I gather, Axanar isn't entirely on the level. Nevertheless, I don't want to see the baby thrown out with the bathwater.
    And, I don't think you really want content to rest in the hands of the consumers, LOL... I know I want content to be in the hands of talented creators.
    I do. Fans can be quite creative--some of their work exceeds the narrative quality of the original works. And as production tools increase in sophistication and decrease in cost, we're going to be seeing ever higher-quality fan works and original projects. There's going to be lots of garbage, but there's always lots of garbage. The good stuff is worth sorting through garbage for.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

Figures may be exaggerated, but not by much... and if your cable bill is shrinking, that means there's less money to go back to the networks, which would explain stories like ESPN complaining about losing money. In any case, it may still force content providers towards a more direct avenue to reach their consumers, as cable companies shrink. Cable companies were a house of cards that was destined to fall at some point.
    I'd liken it to one of those games where you see how much stuff you can stack before it falls over.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    I got a shelf full of Blu-rays and DvDs. I'll be fine. ;)
    You young whipper-snappers and your streaming!
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I'll buy the DVD box-set. I barely use streaming.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    Fans can be quite creative--some of their work exceeds the narrative quality of the original works.
    And some of it makes "Spock's Brain" look like a triumph of televised drama. Let's be honest - for every Shevet story or "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality", there's a "My Immortal" or Marshak & Culbreath's Phoenix novels. Sure, we've had Star Trek Continues give us "Pilgrim of Eternity" - and "White Iris". Prelude To Axanar was well-produced and not badly written, although the directing of the actors left something to be desired, but on the other hand the Renegades pilot stunk on ice - waaay too much fanservice, not nearly enough acting or decent writing.

Fans just can't be relied upon to produce content worth half a damn, with rare exceptions (and no, I don't flatter myself that I'm one of them, I just write stuff anyway).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    So how does this effect people across "the pond"? i doubt it will go beyond the borders of the united states and those who wish to see the new trek series in europe, australia and such will have to do what? sit on their hands for decades until it finally gets released?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    If non-USA fans are not paying money into CBS's pockets, then CBS has no motive to care about them.

Shrinking? No... the costumer service rep for Brighthouse is honest enough to flat out tell us they cannot reduce our bill no matter what or they loose their job. But I have 150mb internet, phone, and cable TV for like $80 and they're in the process of giving everyone a free net speed upgr as they upgr their infra. I'm lookin to have 300mb net for the same price :) Now admittedly I dont have Cinefux or HomePornOffice or other premium channels but still :P
    If non-USA fans are not paying money into CBS's pockets, then CBS has no motive to care about them.

that entirely depends if cbs is looking to gift access to the new trek series across the pond and besides that, they would be loosing a lot of potential profit by forcing people to pirate the series.

that entirely depends if cbs is looking to gift access to the new trek series across the pond and besides that, they would be loosing a lot of potential profit by forcing people to pirate the series.
    no one is 'forced' to pirate....
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

Read it as "strongly motivating" to pirate. ;)

Of course, if the series sucks, it's not an issue.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited January 2016

oh yeah? and no one is forced to used the internet while playing sto, like no one is forced to use electricity when switching on devices or no one is forced to walk around?

yeah... like that will hold up.

typical human attention span is not that great and people will eventualyl seek out something even though it is walled off, some will attempt to jump over it, dig under it or try walk around it.

oh yeah? and no one is forced to used the internet while playing sto, like no one is forced to use electricity when switching on devices or no one is forced to walk around?

typical human attention span is not that great and people will eventualyl seek out something even though it is walled off, some will attempt to jump over it, dig under it or try walk around it.
    no an internet connection is required to play...even says so in the game's requirements. Don't be a moron. You are not forced tp pirate it just because you don't want to pay for the CBS service... You may WANT to, you may even DO it... but your life will not suddenly end because you do not see the new series. No one is forcing you to go pirate it. CBS is practically begging you to by putting it behind a pay wall, but they are not forcing you.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    Mirrorchaos, watching TV (or movies) isn't exactly integral to life, not even Western life. No one is forced to pirate.

As for all the complaints about having to sign up for multiple services to get shows - remember a year or so back when everyone was complaining that they wanted a la carte television services, so we didn't have to sign up for an entire cable or satellite-dish package full of channels we don't watch just to see the ones we do? Yeah, this is what it looks like. Remember the old saying, "Be careful what you wish for, because you might get it."
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png

That has little to do with attention span. That has everything to do with the "haves" and the "have nots".

And your comparisons are quite bad. You need electricity to make a light function. You need to walk in order to survive (protection, food gathering, etc). You need an internet connection to play STO.

No one "needs" to pirate.
    And, I will add... for those "across the pond"...

I can't imagine how frustrating it is, being left in the dark as you all have been. The majority of my discussion, however, revolves around US distribution models. Most of these deals won't affect you.

I don't have any answers, but I will point out that CBS promises to find worldwide distribution partners for the new show. Will these be fair? Will there be a waiting period between US and other broadcasts/releases? I don't know. No one does. I wouldn't jump to conclusions about it yet, however.