test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fleet Roster Export Quote Bug

blueflame4444blueflame4444 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
I posted about this a long time ago (about a day after you fixed the comma bug), but nothing has been done so I'm posting again. Consider an in-game comment like: (yes, only one quote is correct)

"LLAP - Spock

At present, the section of the generated CSV dealing with that comment would look like: (when opened in a text editor, eg Vim)

""LLAP - Spock"

When read by most CSV readers (including Excel, OpenOffice, Python's csv library), that double quote at the beginning is treated as an escaped quote (Showing up as " (double quote) in a CSV reader), while that trailing quote is treated as the start of a quoted section of text. This messes up the rest of the line, and often the following lines as well. As I said, if you put """" in a CSV file, the output of that in a CSV reader would be just be a single double quote - ". This fix is a few lines at most, simply replacing all double quotes in a couple of fields (Status, Public Comment, Officer Comment) with two double quotes, while it requires dozens of lines of code in order to fix most of the possible scenarios after the fact.