test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry Exploration Project

Comments

• theyredeadjimtheyredeadjim Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    I had another idea regarding the tag for the project: using the name of the base as the tag. A base called Deep Space 4 might have the tag, [DS4], while Unity Starbase might carry the tag, [USB].
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    Looks like a great idea. Loved the banner posted earlier; too. :*
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    I had another idea regarding the tag for the project: using the name of the base as the tag. A base called Deep Space 4 might have the tag, [DS4], while Unity Starbase might carry the tag, [USB].

That could work. :)

Into the suggestion pile!
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Maybe use [Explo] as the tag?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg

Explosions? :P
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • starfarerthetastarfarertheta Member Posts: 740 Arc User
    rangerryu wrote: »
    Looks nice but personally I'd pick the Federation Seal over the Starfleet Delta,but that's just me.

I thought the Starfleet delta would be more iconic. Though if you wanted to know what it would look like with the Federation seal...

KBROWvL.png
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    I love the artwork @starfarertheta

Thanks! :smile:

hehe.. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • rangerryurangerryu Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    Looks nice but personally I'd pick the Federation Seal over the Starfleet Delta,but that's just me.

I thought the Starfleet delta would be more iconic. Though if you wanted to know what it would look like with the Federation seal...

KBROWvL.png

yeah personally I think that looks nice now! Since the other two emblems are the "seals" of their respective governments and not militaries (though I suppose the KDF does use it) I think having the seals of the alliance governments work better. But it's all down to personal taste!

Maybe add a few more governments? :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User

KBROWvL.png
    I love the artwork @starfarertheta

Thanks! :smile:

I like it!

Just needs some color though. :)
  • guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User

Hey, that could get us more players...

... and reviews "too much reading!!!!111oneone!!" ;)​​
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    Updated tag nominations:

[EXP]
    [FEP]
    [EXPL]
    [EXO]
    [EX]
    [EXM]
    [AEI]
    [Explo]
    (Create a tag to go with the starbase name)

Updates starbase name nominations:

New Dawn Station
    Starbase Magellan
    "Fools' Landing"
    Babel (#)
    Discovery Station
    Discovery Base
    Starbase Discovery
    Frontier Station
    Amity Station
    Starbase Cook
    Foundry One
    Unity Starbase
    Deep Space (#)
    (Name it after its location)

Catching up on some previous posts:

As for the artwork, personally I like the black and white version, but having several different banners is good. Variety is eye catching. So starfarer if you want to make a color version that's cool. Also if anyone else wants to have a go at a banner you are welcome to do so :)

As for the starbase. Well, too bad, lol, cause we like it. And it's unique and unused anywhere in the game currently.

KDF and Romulan-themed missions are definitely welcome as this is envisioned as a joint Alliance exploration program. Exploring the KDF and RR side of things, especially their motivations for being involved, could yield some good stories I think.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
    If we're thinking about naming it with explorers' names, how about non-human centric approach?

Starbase Kollos (after the Medusan from "Is There in Truth No Beauty") for example. He was an explorer with great navigational skills.

Or some other notable non-human Trek individuals?​​
    Also if anyone else wants to have a go at a banner you are welcome to do so :)

You say that now...
    Starbase%20exploration.png
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User

You say that now...

Jesus! Look at the detail on the T6 D'deridex!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!

You say that now...

New D'Deridex? Lovin' it. Take my money!​​
    guljarol wrote: »
    If we're thinking about naming it with explorers' names, how about non-human centric approach?

Starbase Kollos (after the Medusan from "Is There in Truth No Beauty") for example. He was an explorer with great navigational skills.

Or some other notable non-human Trek individuals?​​
    One of my faves from TNG is Isabella. It was an episode where the crew was exploring a location that the Federation had never examined up close before... and found out was inhabited.

I once thought up a story to follow-up where Isabella decides to try being a Starfleet officer. :p She's definitely a rather powerful alien, but she doesn't understand humanoids at all. She learned a little bit about them but not much.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited January 2016

You say that now...

lol - awesome!

Sadly, my drawing skills aren't even this good. :'(
  • lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    Given that the new base is a co-operative effort between the Klingons, Romulans, and Federation, I'll suggest "Amity Station" as a possible base name. A Mirror version could be called "Enmity Station".

I like this name. I don't think the tag should be longer than 2 or three letters or people will run out of space for their title.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
    pic.

A few touch-ups here and there and you should be good. :)

I'm torn between both Discovery Station and Frontier Station. Although I like the approach guljarol suggested.

Banner Concept 3, in technicolor!:

BF3JVjz.png
    President Okeg, Chancellor J'mpok, and Proconcul D'Tan stand in front of a large room crowded with delegates. President Okeg steps up to a podium bearing the colors of all three major governments and begins to speak...

"My friends, welcome.

We have just emerged from a time of darkness unprecedented in galactic history. An all encompassing war in which every known sentient species fought for its survival. A war causing devastating loses to both sides.

But we are not here today to dwell on the tragedy of the past. We are here today at the threshold of an exciting new beginning. A day that sees, for the first time, an alliance between all known galactic powers. A day to start rebuilding with new found friendship and determination. A day to look forward to a bright new future.

It was through a selfless gesture that the war was ended. Let us usher in this new era in the same spirit. To that end, we are proud to announce a combined Alliance Exploration Initiative. It is more important now than ever that we seek out new friends among new worlds, new resources to replace those lost, and new knowledge to broaden our understanding - to make sure we are prepared for whatever the future holds.

To this effect, a new Alliance station, XXXX, has been created as the stepping stone into that vast unknown. Exploration will be the key to our future; let us boldly go into that new dawn...."

BF3JVjz_zpsoacz0hqa.png
    edited January 2016
    President Okeg, Chancellor J'mpok, and Proconcul D'Tan stand in front of a large room crowded with delegates. President Okeg steps up to a podium bearing the colors of all three major governments and begins to speak...

"My friends, welcome.

We have just emerged from a time of darkness unprecedented in galactic history. An all encompassing war in which every known sentient species fought for its survival. A war causing devastating loses to both sides.

But we are not here today to dwell on the tragedy of the past. We are here today at the threshold of an exciting new beginning. A day that sees, for the first time, an alliance between all known galactic powers. A day to start rebuilding with new found friendship and determination. A day to look forward to a bright new future.

It was through a selfless gesture that the war was ended. Let us usher in this new era in the same spirit. To that end, we are proud to announce a combined Alliance Exploration Initiative. It is more important now than ever that we seek out new friends among new worlds, new resources to replace those lost, and new knowledge to broaden our understanding - to make sure we are prepared for whatever the future holds.

To this effect, a new Alliance station, XXXX, has been created as the stepping stone into that vast unknown. Exploration will be the key to our future; let us boldly go into that new dawn...."

BF3JVjz_zpsoacz0hqa.png

Love it. We should make this into a video trailer.

So I'm going to keep taking starbase name nominations through the weekend and then I'll set up the poll next week. Once we got that finished, we can do the tag poll.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
    I don't think we can use it, but "Starbase Spock" would be an awesome choice. He forged the peace between the Federation and the Klingon Empire after Praxis, he was a great figure for the Federation, and a great figure for D'Tan and Reunificationists.

Do we have anyone/anything else that played a big role for all three powers?​​
    We can definitely name something after Spock. The EULA allows us to use the names of characters. What we couldn't do is name it after Leonard Nimoy, using a real person's name is prohibited.
    To Drogyn: Glad you liked the preamble. :) Starfarertheta's banner was actually the inspiration for it. As for the new starbase subject, I'm glad to see so many names being proposed. It'll be exciting to see what the community decides on (all of them are quite appropriate so far). I've also looked at the old ESD model again with a different perspective, and as fugly as the thing is, it is actually a perfect fit as a new station built cooperatively by the Federation, Klingon Empire and Romulan Republic. It carries design queues from all three powers. It has docking pods ala Romulan stations, it has an angled brute design reflecting a Klingon influence, and a Federation feeling of openness with its 'skyscapers' at either end. :)

To Starfarertheta: Thank you for the really cool banner work. As I said above it is quite an inspiration. o:) Couple things though, it looks like the red color at the very top of the Klingon insignia got washed out and the word Initiative is missing the middle 'i'. Thanks again for making it for us to use!
    guljarol wrote: »
    Do we have anyone/anything else that played a big role for all three powers?​​

Chancellor Gorkon...if you assume the Romulans weren't just part of the conspiracy to scuttle the peace process.
    edited January 2016
    To Starfarertheta: Thank you for the really cool banner work.

Thanks! Both for the compliment and for pointing out the spelling error. Can you imagine unveiling that banner after the President Okeg's speech only for someone in the audience to say "typo."

Here's a set of corrected banners.

tkXp6nf.png

ivh9ApX.png

NmiVxxU.png

Take your pick. :smile:
    edited January 2016
    Question: for our exploration missions do you guys want a bit of an in-character blurb to include with the starbase?

Something like:
    Status Report: Captain Bailey, U.S.S. Discovery

Stage 3 gateway testing complete, final activation pending candidate selection. Voth mission adhering to specified guidelines but Tarkaram is requesting additional surveillance of their power output. No change in subspace phenomenon, no additional signals detected. What that means we'll just have to find out.

Mission code: Trident
  • rangerryurangerryu Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    Thanks! Both for the compliment and for pointing out the spelling error. Can you imagine unveiling that banner after the President Okeg's speech only for someone in the audience to say "typo."

President Okeg:Someone's getting fired for this!

President Okeg:Someone's getting fired for this!

This is the federation, people don't get fired. They just get assigned to real jobs. :P