test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO DEV's on SHIP DESIGN TEAM: Please have a LOOK! It's Good. Real Good.

Comments

• oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    well this devolved quickly

Indeed.

Want some of my popcorn? I'll share. ;)
  • tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    IlBoiy2.png
    I like this better.

Wait, is that Dish or Direct? LOL!
    Just a generic one, I believe.
    /channel_join grind
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    IlBoiy2.png
    I like this better.

Wait, is that Dish or Direct? LOL!
    Just a generic one, I believe.

LOL, leave it to the Klingons, not to pay for premium satellite service!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    What a bunch of... Posters on these Forums are here mock and make fun of people and generally to suck the enthusiasm and joy from others.

Speaking of Joy. Merry Christmas and hoping when the day does arrive, their small hearts will grow three sizes that day.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    Can't we just play nice, folks? Pretty please, with a cherry on the top? :)
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    That Klingon ship isn't intended to be (or inspired by) a jamming cruiser from the Klingon Academy game, is it? That might explain the dish.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    thetanine wrote: »
    Back to the basics, But NEW:

Klingon Bad Assery: From http://paul-lloyd.deviantart.com/

klingon_science_fleet_doing_science_by_paul_lloyd-d8cgkzy.jpg

You know the movie Alien?! That's what this ship reminds me of: the Alien extending its inner teeth rack! LOL.
    Post edited by meimeitoo on
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    What a bunch of... Posters on these Forums are here mock and make fun of people and generally to suck the enthusiasm and joy from others.

You're absolutely right! Nobody should ever EVER voice their opinion that they don't like something an artist made (especially if it's in a humorous fashion). All artistic works should be praised! Especially at Christmas time!

Yeah. People really need to learn to lighten up a bit. :) We're all just having a bit of harmless fun. Especially in threads like these, where you already know Cryptic can't ever take it serious. Tacofangs once said (paraphrased) "We never use the work of others, but if you're serious about wanting to contribute, come work for us instead." There are just too many legal pitfalls to consider.

So, what remains is just having a bit of harmless fun with the Klink. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    The Deflector Dish might be an obsolete detail - but in the 25 century it might be a science vessels secondary deflector perhaps?

The hammer form of the front reminds me of the original alternative Neg'Var skin, the Qu'Daj. I often use parts of it.
    IlBoiy2.png
    I like this better.

That's what happens if you take the Kor and slot a Commander Science, right?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    Looks like a hammerhead shark mated with robocop...
    Criticism is fine, when they get to the point that the Moderator needs to ask to cool it and edit then it looks like the comments were beginning to go over the edge. And you know that if the Moderator's boss gets involved it will be a closure period with maybe two or three one word sentences added for effect.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    The ships are for inspirational purposes only. Players WANT to use ships that look familiar to them, from the actual TV and Movies of Star Trek.

"Where's my T6 _____________ ?" Fill in the blank with your favorite canon starship that has yet to be made into an end-game model. See how this works? It's about bringing familiar elements into the highest tiers of the game. This has not yet happened for many players, myself included.

Why in the world do you focus on such small insignificant details like that deflector dish the artist put on the primary hull? Who cares if it's there or not?

It's the basic design that captures the Original Design of a Klingon starship but shows how that can be made into a modern form. Not to copy down to the last hull seam or tiny bits here and there.

INSPIRATION of CANON type starship designs for Star Trek Online. How can this simple fact and purpose be translated into a flame war? How can this be over your heads? Talk about missing the forest for the trees being in the way. Wow.

Anyways, I never meant what the flamers are claiming.

INSPIRATION is the heart and soul of all artistic works. Starships included.

TTFN,

T9​​
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Threads like, "ZOMG Devs look at this design, you should totally add it!!!" is almost a setup for flames.

It's pointless to start. We don't even know if it's even possible to bring to the game to being with let alone if anyone else even wants it in the game. Devs also have much better tools to play around with other than googling images.
    It's the basic design that captures the Original Design of a Klingon starship but shows how that can be made into a modern form. Not to copy down to the last hull seam or tiny bits here and there.

This doesn't look modern at all. My opinion of course.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    "inspiration" needs a good starting point. using TRIBBLE for inspiration leads to the creation of TRIBBLE.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    The ships are for inspirational purposes only.
    The ship inspires creativity in finding ways to describe how risky it is to break established symmetry on a derivative of a Star Trek ship. This ship broke symmetry in an utterly remarkable way. It would do a disservice to the remarkable not to remark, especially due to all the inspiration.
    Players WANT to use ships that look familiar to them, from the actual TV and Movies of Star Trek.
    Personally, I have no interest in using ships based on their appearance. Ironically, I've found the more familiar I was with a canon ship before I played STO, the less useful it is to me in STO.
    "Where's my T6 _____________ ?" Fill in the blank with your favorite canon starship that has yet to be made into an end-game model. See how this works? It's about bringing familiar elements into the highest tiers of the game.
    A lot of T6 klingon ships are derived from the familiar elements of the K't'inga, just as this ship was. The problem here is that the K't'inga is several generations behind T6. To bring those familiar retro elements into a T6 ship would pretty much mean this is a slightly too-subtle variation of a Can We Have a T5 Connie? thread, where the OP is asking for a T6 K't'inga, instead of a T5 Connie.
    This has not yet happened for many players, myself included.
    The T5 Connie crowd included.
    Why in the world do you focus on such small insignificant details like that deflector dish the artist put on the primary hull?
    It isn't small, nor is it insignificant, it's remarkable. It breaks symmetry in an aesthetically unpleasing way. It's ugly. Qualitatively speaking, it's real ugly. It's the kind of real ugly that furls your brow without your your permission. It's the kind of real ugly that causes you to grimace and shake your head, "no". It may actually be an abomination, but I'm not entirely sure if abominations are subject to criteria like a "platinum records", where they must disgust a certain number of people before they can be labeled as such.

Either way, it's definitely real ugly, and may be a full-fledged abomination.
    Who cares if it's there or not?
    A lot of people, it seems. Like I said, breaking symmetry on a derivative of a Star Trek ship is risky.
    It's the basic design that captures the Original Design of a Klingon starship but shows how that can be made into a modern form.
    Not really, it's a derivative of a K't'inga that is using the original form, it isn't modern at all. The Modern T6 KDF forms are several generations removed from the K't'inga, and look very little like this derivative you posted. The derivative that was posted is quite retro.
    INSPIRATION of CANON type starship designs for Star Trek Online. How can this simple fact and purpose be translated into a flame war?
    I really have no idea.
    How can this be over your heads?
    My head? It isn't. Not sure why you felt the need to insult me like that.
    Talk about missing the forest for the trees being in the way.
    Relax, friend.
    Wow.
    Wow is right.
    Anyways, I never meant what the flamers are claiming.
    The thread has been sanitized by moderator intervention. I have no idea what they were claiming, nor would I speak of it if I did. To be frank, it kinda feels like you just flamed me with those things you said above, and we haven't even spoken before. :(
    INSPIRATION is the heart and soul of all artistic works.
    Nah, it's more about motivation and creativity for me. Mere inspiration leads to far too many unoriginal imitations and outright stylistic blunders.
    Starships included.
    I'm actually quite happy with non-derivative starships, myself.
    TTFN,

T9​​
    Toodles.
    /channel_join grind
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    jbmonroe wrote: »
    that federation ship next to it looks like it was kitbashed from ambassador, akira, d'kyr, nova and something else for nacelles. about 70% of it is again butchered from the original designs and someone else's fan fiction.
    And the artist (http://paul-lloyd.deviantart.com/) doesn't claim otherwise. I think he's (*gasp*) having fun. I've heard there are people that like to do that, although most days they're bloody rare around these parts, apparently.
    Yes, well, his work is hideous.

Sayeth the notorious sourpuss who hates everything and everyone.

Why in the world do you focus on such small insignificant details like that deflector dish the artist put on the primary hull?
    It isn't small, nor is it insignificant, it's remarkable. It breaks symmetry in an aesthetically unpleasing way. It's ugly. Qualitatively speaking, it's real ugly. It's the kind of real ugly that furls your brow without your your permission. It's the kind of real ugly that causes you to grimace and shake your head, "no". It may actually be an abomination, but I'm not entirely sure if abominations are subject to criteria like a "platinum records", where they must disgust a certain number of people before they can be labeled as such.

Either way, it's definitely real ugly, and may be a full-fledged abomination.
    It's not a number just a simple majority I think. So if more than half the people who look at it think it's too hideous to live.... that makes a consensus. :D
    Who cares if it's there or not?
    A lot of people, it seems. Like I said, breaking symmetry on a derivative of a Star Trek ship is risky.
    Yes, symmetry, or lack thereof is a fundamental part of star ship designs. Breen ships are purposefully asymmetrical... Klingon ships are not.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    I don't like the design posted by the OP. It doesn't work for me. The hull appears to be a classic hull as the Federation starship seems to sport a classic saucer. The difficulty I see is internal continuity; It looks like parts were cobbled together that were constructed in completely different eras, The lack of consistency is amplified by the small saucer on the starboard side of the saucer. While more "modern" the saucer itself looks like the head of a vacuum cleaner.

In contrast the second design posted by themetalstickman had me at go. The artist cheated and rolled his cruiser forward with design cues from the B'rel (my opinion); I think it is beautiful :) . The characteristic lines of the cruiser remain but it is blended with the more organic forms exhibited in the Bird of Prey. These changes are consistent throughout the design as a whole. I wish IP wasn't such a minefield. I would love to put my warriors at the conn.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

Well it is clear from the comments of some that looking at the OPs Design will turn the viewer into a pillar of salt.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    I rather like the designs myself.
    I can say with certainty (for me at least), when looking at them that I have seen FAR worse designs for my tastes ingame.
    Although saying that, ship designs are always a matter of opinion. So what is ugly to me might be he most amazing ship ever designed to someone else amd vice versa.
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
    The Deflector Dish might be an obsolete detail - but in the 25 century it might be a science vessels secondary deflector perhaps?

The hammer form of the front reminds me of the original alternative Neg'Var skin, the Qu'Daj. I often use parts of it.
    IlBoiy2.png
    I like this better.

That's what happens if you take the Kor and slot a Commander Science, right?

Or, a secondary deflector!!! LOL

The artist received positive and less than positive reviews of their work. I was of the former rather than latter but it's only an opinion and hopefully won't dissuade them from carrying with their art if it gives them pleasure. We all have different visions and interpretations of the Trek universe and he or she should be commended for having the courage to share them here.

• rezkingrezking Member Posts: 1,109 Arc User
    gulberat wrote: »
    That Klingon ship isn't intended to be (or inspired by) a jamming cruiser from the Klingon Academy game, is it? That might explain the dish.

That is NOT a dish.
    Why is everyone calling it a "dish"?
    It's a suction cup.
    The Captain makes some random Bek from the House of Duras go out and lick the edges of it to ensure a good seal for when the ship rams the target.
    The 2 smaller protrusions on the other side are speakers that pierce the hull and plays dubstep.
    It renders Federation personnel stunned indefinitely because THERE IS NO DROP and they are forced to wait for it.
    NO to ARC
    RIP KDF and PvP 2014-07-17 Season 9.5 - Death by Dev
    The artist received positive and less than positive reviews of their work. I was of the former rather than latter but it's only an opinion and hopefully won't dissuade them from carrying with their art if it gives them pleasure. We all have different visions and interpretations of the Trek universe and he or she should be commended for having the courage to share them here.
    The OP apparently isn't the creator of the design. Which is part of why this thread is weird. The OP found a random design they liked and posted about it.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    @markhawkman

Maybe their "representative" will pass it on. It's Christmas and I was trying to be nicer than I should have :) .

• ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Now that is what the KDF Command Cruisers should have looked like! Not crazy about the dated sattilite dish style antenna on the port bow but other then that DEVS this is what a KDF battleship/command should look like! Very nice evolution of Matt Jefferies timeless D-7 design!
    edited December 2015
    The front section looks dated at best, and the coalition symbol is irrelevant since we do not actually work, as a full fledge coalition!

Are you talking about that Trifoil? Hate to break this to you but that is the color of Matt Jefferies Trifoil seen on EVERY Klingon ship in ALL the TOS ERA ships. It is not a "coalition" symbol!
    edited December 2015
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    The front section looks dated at best, and the coalition symbol is irrelevant since we do not actually work, as a full fledge coalition!

Are you talking about that Trifoil? Hate to break this to you but that is the color of Matt Jefferies Trifoil seen on EVERY Klingon ship in ALL the TOS ERA ships. It is not a "coalition" symbol!

Trifoil or not, it has all 3 faction colors, hence why I refer to it as a coalition version of the KDF symbol!

In fact, the yellow circle could almost pass, as representing the Cardassian faction as well!

edited December 2015

Trifoil or not, it has all 3 faction colors, hence why I refer to it as a coalition version of the KDF symbol!

In fact, the yellow circle could almost pass, as representing the Cardassian faction as well!

Seriously you really don't know much about the history of the Star Trek franchise then. The Multi color Klingon emblem has been in those colors since the first Klingon ship was seen on screen nearly 50 years ago. The observation you made is a coincidence and not "coalition" marker at all in any way or shape. But it seems that you really don't care that you are completly mistaken and nor do you wish to learn about the History of this great franchise.
    Post edited by ssbn655 on

Seriously you really don't know much about the history of the Star Trek franchise then. The Multi color Klingon emblum has been in those colors since the first Klingon ship was seen on screen nearly 50 years ago. The observation you made is a coincidence and not "coalition" marker at all in any way or shape. But it seems that you really don't care that you are completly mistaken and nor do you wish to learn about the History of this great franchise.

You're right, I don't care, and nor do I care to learn about some idiotic comment from you, or the history of some odd colors used for a faction symbol!

Also, you might want to learn how to spell emblem!