test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can't commission officer

Greetings,

So I have an ensign engineering station available and two engineering candidates. But when I commission them, I get a pop up saying there is no room on my ship. I'm I missing something? Or is it an issue?

Comments

• tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    That depends if you've filled all your Bridge Officer slots or not.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    you dont commission your officers for each station.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,804 Community Moderator
    If it's saying there's no room then that tells me you've most likely used up all your bridge officer slots. That's perfectly fine if that's what has happened, we all do it.

For your bridge officer stations the way it works is like this. If you have for example a LT Tactical station, and a LT Commander Engineering/Intel station. For the LT Tactical, this means that the officer that occupies the station must be a Tactical officer, and you can use up to LT ranked tactical abilities. For the LT Commander Engineering/Intel, the officer that occupies the station must be an Engineering officer. With this second station this means the Engineer can use up to LT Commander ranked engineering or intel abilities. You could use all engineering abilities, all intel, or a mixture of the 2.

When you commission an officer, such as a tactical officer, they never go away and are permanent parts of your crew unless you decide to discharge them. All you need to do is assign this Tactical officer to the station you wish them to occupy. This means you can have the same tactical officer for all of your ships if you choose to do so. I hope this explanation helps
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • reese#8790 reese Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    So to make sure we are on the same page. Cause it doesn't seem like we are.

So on my stations list I have four slots available. But I currently have only three bridge officers. The one engineering station available is an ensign one. When I try to commission an officer from the four candidates I have it tells me that I have no room for any more officers. But yet I have a station open for an ensign.

I hope I explained this better.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    It helps.

What level are you, and what status are you (ie, F2P silver, gold, what). Also, are you up on your promotions with headquarters (visiting Quinn / J'mpok / Admiral blankey-blank with the Republic)?

And how did you get 4 candidates anyway? While levelling, you're normal BOff inputs should equal the rate that you get BOff slots...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • reese#8790 reese Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I just made lvl 20 and I'm F2P. Totally up on promotions. Just made full commander. As for how I have four candidates? That I can't tell you. They were end of mission rewards and leveling up if I'm remembering right.
  • mcgrizzled86mcgrizzled86 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    reese#8790 wrote: »
    So to make sure we are on the same page. Cause it doesn't seem like we are.

So on my stations list I have four slots available. But I currently have only three bridge officers. The one engineering station available is an ensign one. When I try to commission an officer from the four candidates I have it tells me that I have no room for any more officers. But yet I have a station open for an ensign.

I hope I explained this better.

I think I got it and I think this info will help you. On the left hand side of the character screen, under your character and your active ships, is your BOff slots. To commission a new officer, you have to have an open (No Officer) slot on this list. If you do not, then you cannot add any more BOffs. For this limit of commissioned BOffs, the number of slots available on the ship itself is irrelevant. The ship could potentially have more stations than you can even have BOffs available, however that should be relatively rare.

That being said, you should have 4 slots by default, so if they are full you should have 4 officers, not just 3. Did you skip any of the first 3 or 4 missions? I haven't started a pure Fed or KDP in a long time, but I know Roms get their starting slots filled in the first few missions, maybe you skipped one and it missed awarding you a slot.