What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Unofficial Literary Language #18 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    gulberat wrote: »
    I have an *idea*...the problem is it doesn't fit my crews or continuity whereas I think it would fit someone else better. Basically my idea is that as crazy as it is, Q Junior actually has a serious intention behind the Winter Wonderland. I wonder how I could farm it out without spoiling the idea to the eventual readers...
    If you think you know whose crews (or writing) would fit it better, by all means email them. :smile:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    I have an *idea*...the problem is it doesn't fit my crews or continuity whereas I think it would fit someone else better. Basically my idea is that as crazy as it is, Q Junior actually has a serious intention behind the Winter Wonderland. I wonder how I could farm it out without spoiling the idea to the eventual readers...
    If you think you know whose crews (or writing) would fit it better, by all means email them. :smile:

There are probably plenty of possibilities...heck, even though he's not familiar with Earth traditions, Grunt might be shrewd enough to catch on since I would expect he was raised to spot hidden agendas.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    hawku001x wrote: »
    Literary Language?
    I guess English isn't expansive enough for their creativity.

Language itself isn't enough for us. But this is just the first step. Our next challenge will be Unofficial Literary Everything so we can convert life, the universe and everything in it into a simplified form, possibly a number.

I honestly didn't realize the thread's title was ULL instead of ULC until now... :open_mouth:

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    dalolorn wrote: »

I honestly didn't realize the thread's title was ULL instead of ULC until now... :open_mouth:
    Neither did I, till you said :open_mouth:
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    edited December 2015

Just noticed the DOFF assignment "Discover Q's Intentions: Authorize your crew to covertly investigate Q's true intentions."
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    banned for not noticing it last year....

EDIT: wrong thread. :p

But yeah it's been there since the holiday doff missions were added. Depending on the outcome your doff may find out nothing, or they may find out nothing. Hehe.... honestly I think he's just using the humanoids as toys really.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    True, I never did em before. I'll find out in 3 hours what Q's true intentions were, or my crew will be scrubbing plasma conduits for a week. (Which is lethal, I think)
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    I like how 'tactful' AND 'unscrupulous' are positive modifiers for that one, if the wiki's right.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    I like how 'tactful' AND 'unscrupulous' are positive modifiers for that one, if the wiki's right.
    Well, you're trying to pry into someone's secret motivations, so your scruples had best not get in the way; on the other hand, you're dealing with a Q, so you'd better be tactful. :smile:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    Well, you're trying to pry into someone's secret motivations, so your scruples had best not get in the way; on the other hand, you're dealing with a Q, so you'd better be tactful. :smile:

"Lieutenant, send Ensign Sociopath to the bridge, we have a special assignment."

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    @jonsills, Haha, very true. Offending the Q can be risky. ;)

Also, I sent you the idea.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Speaking of interesting modifiers, I've always been amused that "Unscrupulous" and "Seductive" are crit traits for "Obtain DNA Sample from Romulan Senator". :wink:
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    starswordc wrote: »
    Speaking of interesting modifiers, I've always been amused that "Unscrupulous" and "Seductive" are crit traits for "Obtain DNA Sample from Romulan Senator". :wink:

(in my best George Takei voice) "OH, MY!"

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Well... presumably you want the individual to not know you swiped their DNA by.... distracting them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    Heck, why bother with distractions, the Senator won't mind :P
  • Options
    hawku001x, you come up with the most bizarre scenarios, I'm always impressed.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Thanks! Don't know why, but they're never interesting to me unless they're bizarre. o:)

For reference, this entry is partly a follow-up to my entry for LC 69, of the same prompt, with revisiting the knock-off Wonderland from that. (My main Captain has been suffering since the fall of those LCs) And, as with my 3-part entry for LC 68, the zombie virus comes from the Infestation comic. But none of those need to be read for this.

TF%2BEpsilon%2B-%2BUSS%2BTsunami%2B-%2BMcCary%2B1.jpgTF%2BEpsilon%2B-%2BUSS%2BDropzone%2B-%2BSamya%2B1.jpg
    From left: McCary, Samya
    Post edited by hawku001x on
  • Options
    Awesome as always, Hawku B)
  • Options
  • Options
    hawku001x wrote: »
    Thanks Marcus! B)

Always a pleasure to read B)
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Okay, I'm going to be in no shape to run the January challenge: work is going to be seven days a week this month, which means lots of juicy overtime but not a whole lot of free time. So I need a volunteer to pick the prompts and post.

Still working on an Eleya piece for the Christmas prompt, sort of a slice of life thing continuing my post-war storyline.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Okay, I'm going to be in no shape to run the January challenge: work is going to be seven days a week this month, which means lots of juicy overtime but not a whole lot of free time. So I need a volunteer to pick the prompts and post.

Still working on an Eleya piece for the Christmas prompt, sort of a slice of life thing continuing my post-war storyline.
    Prompts picked, and going up at Midnight GMT B)

Post edited by marcusdkane on
  • Options
    Aarrrgggghh! Even after having been given a story seed, I'm totally blocked right now. I fully intend to get this thing written (probably involving Khre'Riov Aelith t'Shael), but it may be - ah - rather late...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    Aarrrgggghh! Even after having been given a story seed, I'm totally blocked right now. I fully intend to get this thing written (probably involving Khre'Riov Aelith t'Shael), but it may be - ah - rather late...
    Post it up when it's done, I put one in ULC#5 yesterday B)
  • Options
    Got it finished. "Mistletoe on Mirhassa"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    That was a pretty cool entry B)
  • Options

Glad you enjoyed it, Marcus. I don't know if you caught it but there was a little bit in there I took off of our discussion about professionalism and arming the Gorn Separatists a couple months back, namely Eleya's comment about her mouthiness rubbing off on junior crew members.

I'm also pretty much ignoring Season 11 in its entirety in my headcanon here: I'm annoyed at the Iconian War not being visibly destructive in-game (they're continuing to treat it like an overall minor conflict and barely acknowledging the damage done), and the mirror universe stuff directly contradicts one of my existing stories, The Wrong Reflection. And the less said about ENT and the Temporal Cold War in particular, the better.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options

Glad you enjoyed it, Marcus. I don't know if you caught it but there was a little bit in there I took off of our discussion about professionalism and arming the Gorn Separatists a couple months back, namely Eleya's comment about her mouthiness rubbing off on junior crew members.

I'm also pretty much ignoring Season 11 in its entirety in my headcanon here: I'm annoyed at the Iconian War not being visibly destructive in-game (they're continuing to treat it like an overall minor conflict and barely acknowledging the damage done), and the mirror universe stuff directly contradicts one of my existing stories, The Wrong Reflection. And the less said about ENT and the Temporal Cold War in particular, the better.
    Yeah, as far as my crews are concerned, there's considerable separation in time between the end of the War and the beginning of this New Dawn thing; I figure it went pretty much like that entry I had for Grunt, where for about the first half of the war our ships were getting there just in time for mopping up afterward. The Heralds had something better than transwarp to get around with; it stands to reason we could only really engage them if a large-enough force happened to be in place in advance. That's what made Starfleet desperate enough to try using Krenim techniques to win the war.

My headcanon has the Alliance in a little better shape than yours, as the three main governments involved have learned in the heat of battle to trust one another; however, there's still a lot of cleaning up to do in the galaxy before we can start exploring systems just outside Ferengi space.

Aside from that, really good story. It's nice that Elaya's starting to see her attitude might be causing shipwide morale issues.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options

I did, and thought it was nice to see Eleya having that awareness B)

I guess that's the narrative difference between a TV series and a game, where they need to be able to reset things back to a base setting for players to build again, rather than where a series can deal with consequences and aftermaths... And absolutely, the less said about those things the better :D (although I did like the comment someone made the other day about how flawed the ideas actually were, in so much as it had both antagonists and protagonists taking orders from some UnknownFuture, without ever resolving the issue of who that was :D)

• Options
    wombat140wombat140 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    Late again. Posted it in two chunks as I was struggling to get it finished and was determined to post at least SOMETHING before Twelfth Night. Here's a Christmas in space, rather a shambolic one.
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to Scott Kelly, Mikhail Korniyenko, Sergey Volkov, Yuri Malenchenko, Timothy Kopra and especially Timothy Peake. Hope you had/are having a good one up there.

Author's Note: This takes place before the other story I've posted, "Faulty Wiring", and during the Klingon War era.
    NB there are some things wrong with it, notably the Klingon ship hasn't got a name; it's not letting me edit at the moment, it does that sometimes, will fix when it does.