Install Arc
Options

Temporarily Disabling Exchange Email Deletion

2»

Comments

• Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads-up. But how can something like that slip through testing? No, that's not a snarky comment, it's genuine interest.

how something like this can slip through testing is because there are far fewer exchange mails deleted on dev server, tribble and redshirt combined in 3 years than in one day on holodeck​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Wow... way to go cryptic. You also seemed to have disabled the ability to send items through the mail, too. Bravo. -_-
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    how something like this can slip through testing is because there are far fewer exchange mails deleted on dev server, tribble and redshirt combined in 3 years than in one day on holodeck

The exchange mails aren't really the problem here, I do believe it's hard to spot server performance issues when you can't test the feature on the actual server. But things like the markers stay in position after deleting mails, marking mail you never wanted to delete - that's something that should be spotted with the very first use of the feature?​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    captainmikeccaptainmikec Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    i would also like to suggest adding to the mail the ability to claim items from multiple mails at once as I do in another game in a galaxy far away.
    check boxes on multiple mails, click "claim selected items"
    you claim them then click delete selected, a whole batch of exchange mails done in a flash.

As someone that likes to sell a dozen or more items on the exchange at any one time, this would be handy.
    "Tickle us, do we not laugh? Prick us, do we not bleed? Wrong us, shall we not revenge?"
    -General Chang
  • Options
    mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    This is just so unacceptable, how can you the devs have missed this? Why when you do an update the mail system has to be affected? If it is not broken DO NOT GFREAKING FIX IT OR CHANGE IT OR UPGRADE IT!!! It was working fine why you have to messed it up.
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    mayito2009 wrote: »
    (...)DO NOT (...) CHANGE IT OR UPGRADE IT!!! It was working fine why you have to messed it up.

I strongly disagree here. STOs mail system is frankly outdated and bare bones basic. Back in the days it was at least linked to forum PMs and the website, but since they went away with those features the mail is barely worth mentioning. No multi message support, no multi deletion, no multi claim, no filters - I wonder why it too five years for the first careful changes and improvements...​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    turbomagnusturbomagnus Member Posts: 3,479 Arc User
    I have three comments to make;
    1. I have to agree with the proposed idea to allow Automated Exchange Messages to be disabled by the players; while I don't mind the 'item returned' messages bringing me back what didn't sell, getting ten or twelve 'your item has been sold' messages at a pop is frankly a waste of system resources since I don't even bother reading them. I might be in the minority, but if my item sold and I got the EC and my bank is now cleared of overstocked Industrial Replicators and the like, I don't really care who bought them. I can figure out that they sold simply by seeing that my EC balance has increased since I was last logged in.

2. That the mail function is, for the most part, outdated and unused is an unfortunate truth - with Chat covering Local/Zone, Friends and Fleet, the only functions Mail serves is item delivery (either from Exchange returns, players moving items between characters that won't go in an account bank such as BOffs, or trades or gifts between players) and being the breeding ground for EC Seller spam since no one actually seems to use Mail for communication when Chat covers that already.

3. This one is actually more of a question - is there, as of yet, any idea of how long it will be for the delete mail function to be restored?
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." -- Q, TNG: "Q-Who?"
    ^Words that every player should keep in mind, especially whenever there's a problem with the game...
  • Options
    I have three comments to make;
    1. I have to agree with the proposed idea to allow Automated Exchange Messages to be disabled by the players; while I don't mind the 'item returned' messages bringing me back what didn't sell, getting ten or twelve 'your item has been sold' messages at a pop is frankly a waste of system resources since I don't even bother reading them. I might be in the minority, but if my item sold and I got the EC and my bank is now cleared of overstocked Industrial Replicators and the like, I don't really care who bought them. I can figure out that they sold simply by seeing that my EC balance has increased since I was last logged in.

2. That the mail function is, for the most part, outdated and unused is an unfortunate truth - with Chat covering Local/Zone, Friends and Fleet, the only functions Mail serves is item delivery (either from Exchange returns, players moving items between characters that won't go in an account bank such as BOffs, or trades or gifts between players) and being the breeding ground for EC Seller spam since no one actually seems to use Mail for communication when Chat covers that already.

3. This one is actually more of a question - is there, as of yet, any idea of how long it will be for the delete mail function to be restored?

Hit it on the nose with both points there. It'd also be nice if boffs and doffs could be transferred via account-bank. I hate using the mail system to send them. More often than not, doffs get lost in the mail.
  • Options
    rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User

And mail still is bloody danged useful for fleets. When your fleet is 5 active people, you talk. With 50, this already is a pain in the neck. THen try 500. Then go for multiple fleets of 500. You see the problem arising with using chat for communication?
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I wonder if They realize that ALL MAIL DELETE Functions are OFF?
    Not just Exchange Email ones.
    I noticed this right away.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    danimb80danimb80 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    The unnanounced Mail limitation screws me over. On my Main toon, I don't have access to mails older than January 2014 (at least I can access them with alts, that weren't very active on the Exchange), but I don't get any(!) items that expired on the Exchange past Thursday's patch, because my main toon obviously exceeds the unnanounced mail quota by far...

I get it, that it's a weekend, so I'll wait two more days for an answer, but my patience slowly begins to wear thin... fortunately there wasn't a Lobi ship involved, but multiple items in the 6-10m price range, about two in the 20m price range, and one in the 60-some price range, which now are at least inaccessible, if not lost... so, I'm getting concerned now.
  • Options
    daveyny wrote: »
    I wonder if They realize that ALL MAIL DELETE Functions are OFF?
    Not just Exchange Email ones.
    I noticed this right away.

I dunno about that. I was able to delete a non-exchange email.
  • Options
    jivedutchjivedutch Member Posts: 357 Arc User
    Big QoL issue here .... simply stop using the mail as a flush for the exchange system.

Items Posted on the exchange should stay there, until sold or collected by a player .
    The posting epiry time on exchange items is annoying, but understandably necessary for performance reasons.

However the unsold lots should remain on the Sell tab with a notification on the item that the sell offer has expired.

QoL requests
    • Keep the items always on the exchange , they are locked to the exchange slots anyway, since u need to remove unsold items from your mail to be able to use all slots again.
    • Display the unsold lots on a separate tab, or clearly marked as unsold in the sell tab.
    • Display the pending offers with a timer, so it is visible how long an item is still posted on the exchange (or expired).
    • Enable multi selection on the buy tab.
    • Remember the selection amount, in case of commodities
    • Make the selection list fit the current window , to prevent the requirement to scroll in the window

Just some of the annoyances I have ran into using the current exchange in STO ......
  • Options
    sovereign47sovereign47 Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    That's a good list of improvements jivedutch. I would also add that limit of items for sale should be raised at least to 100 if not more.

Oh and btw, can't wait for the Thursday. Those undeletable exchange mail expired messages are very annoying.
    FED ENG: FA Sirius Verax (USS Leviathan) , FED TAC (Delta): FA Adria Tyllex (USS Thunderblade) , ROM TAC: ADM Kill'ina (IRW Imperix Thrai) , KLING ENG (Delta): LT. GEN Ghol'Vaq Martok (IKS Qeh'Ral II) - 44th Fleet member
    SZ1RgUL.jpg
    SUPPORTING PLAYABLE CARDASSIAN AND DOMINION FACTIONS!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    An announcement like this really should be in a bright, flashy banner at the top of all forum pages so people would actually read it instead of posting bug reports ad nauseam in the gameplay bug forums. ;)
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
  • Options
    pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    sov42 wrote: »
    An announcement like this really should be in a bright, flashy banner at the top of all forum pages so people would actually read it instead of posting bug reports ad nauseam in the gameplay bug forums. ;)
    NAW IT'S COOL WE FIXED IT
This discussion has been closed.