test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

please stop putting command slots on new ships cryptic

At least until you make, like, 99% of the command space powers not terrible. The only good ones are the torp skill and the shield drain one.

Comments

• Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    Eh, you don't have to use those powers. For those who want to use them, it adds flexibility.

And it's about the only spec tree that would make sense for a dreadnought carrier too.
  • Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,638 Arc User
    Rally Point is pretty nice as well.

Most of Intel is also pretty meh, it's just that it has the stand-outs of Override Subsystem Safeties and Surgical Strikes.

Pilot seems far more situational than either of the other two, mostly Tac-Like abilities on Tac-heavy boats.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,334 Arc User
    It's LtCmdr universal/command and thus pretty useful.
    Just because it doesn't suit your play style doesn't mean it's bad.

In fact, command suits a dreadnought/carrier.​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    jbmaverickjbmaverick Member Posts: 935 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    Pilot specialization doesn't make sense on a Dreadnought and the Sarr Theln already did Intel, and one of the main features of T6 ships is at least one specialization slot. Their hands are kind of tied on this one.

Suppression Barrage is a decent power if you're not flying with players who think DPS is the be-all, end-all of gameplay, and Rally Point Marker is good for brick tanking. I'll agree that a lot of the other powers could use some help, but people really need to stop looking at Command as a subpar specialization because it doesn't feature more pew pew. That's not what it's for. If anything, the other specializations are too good because DPS has become the God of gameplay, and should be scaled back.

The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke.
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I'll both agree that command, well really alot of the abilities overall, could use a good revamp/reworking. Though just as said command is one of the best choices they could do between pilot or command, with the carrier already getting a Intel seat. It would be nice to see either a rework to make dps-based aspects less rewarding compared to other more intricate/team play aspects gaining more reward/value.

Though will say I wish they would have made one full spec, or two a space an ground specific specs for us to have, which could than be used to keep some verity.
  • Options
    lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Command is aimed squarely at teamplay and working together, supporting those other players in the team who are doing damage or debuffing.

Which unfortunately means that for most players who only consider doing a million DPS acceptable and think the only way to go is by soloing stfs these abilities are pointless.

If there was better teamwork and communication in general pug matches maybe they'd be of use but outside of premade matches with decent communication using things like phalanx maneuver etc are completely pointless.
    SulMatuul.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,057 Community Moderator
    I believe the last new ship had Intel seating, so no. Not all new ships are getting Command.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    Command works fine, it's the teammates that are broken. >:)
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    kontarnuskontarnus Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    Suppression barrage is great on a LtCmdr Eng station, for cruiser/dreadnought.
    "Intelligence is finite, stupidity is infinite" -- Umberto Eco
  • Options
    natejam101natejam101 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    the emitters one is very nice to have, there are 2 or 3 command abilities that are actually very nice. I would ask for more command officer slots on new ship...just saying. Intel and lolPilot abilities are horrible.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Only Spec trees I've even used so far are Pilot and Command, I'll take more of both please, can do without Intel.

Command is amazing in a team, at least on ground, people who insist that one should never take command obviously are deluded into thinking they can solo everything.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    captaintroikacaptaintroika Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    Oh, the command ground abilities are decent, just that the space ones are almost universally terrible. I'll grant Rally Point has the occasional use, but it's situational at best; it's useless in any situation that requires a lot of mobility.

And sorry, folks, your special snowflake "support" build is not, in fact, particularly useful to a team, not compared to adding another 15k-20k DPS or so.

The best way to REALLY support your team, other than holding up your end via sufficient DPS, is applying plenty of Attack Pattern Beta debuffs to everything, so they deal more damage.
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Oh, the command ground abilities are decent, just that the space ones are almost universally terrible. I'll grant Rally Point has the occasional use, but it's situational at best; it's useless in any situation that requires a lot of mobility.

And sorry, folks, your special snowflake "support" build is not, in fact, particularly useful to a team, not compared to adding another 15k-20k DPS or so.

The best way to REALLY support your team, other than holding up your end via sufficient DPS, is applying plenty of Attack Pattern Beta debuffs to everything, so they deal more damage.

the fact that we can do this and use command skills doesn't enter your thought processes does it?

sorry but even for a lazy TRIBBLE. like myself getting the dps needed to do content easy as hell.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    TRIBBLE THE DPS !!!! dps can suck deeze 'robot nutz' !!! i'm just plain tired of hearing about dps !!!!​​
  • Options
    nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    While I agree command is pretty terrible, Intel, which is often considered the best specialization, only really has a couple useful skills in override subsystem safeties, surgical strike, and maybe ionic turbulence.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    Command is a great feature and I hope Cryptic continues adding it to every ship and every bridge officer station.

(see my comments in another thread about my new reverse psychology theory)
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    @bunansa

(..or don't..)
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options

An that will always be the issue is that solely since you can by-pass many things, other than time-gates an such, you will have dps being king in the eyes of many. While also being seen as the only true way of measuring the usefulness of an ability is by if it can produce more of a benefit, than just using an ability that boost your dps that might bypass that potential issue the support ability was being used to minimize. Once the game has more an varied ways of making it that just having more dps is not always going to make things easier or quicker, not merely just more time-gates, dps will be seen by many as the measuring tool for the worth of abilities. When they added the specialties i wished they would have not just reworked the stfs (buffed the hp, and such), but also reworked the systems making it that there is more inter-connected play off each other an that there is other ways of doing something vastly better than groups just dumping more dps into the fights.

Honestly i would love if they added more specialty mechanics to the spec ships, or atleast more verity in them allowing them to mix and match them, like with the command ships having more than three of the inspiration abilities that could be on them would allow more verity in the roles of the ships even in supporting.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,827 Arc User
    I wish could see more Pilot...would kill for a Pilot Nova!
  • Options
    I am waiting for a advanced research science ship either command or intel, though would love a new spec that is based around using new prototype technology or techniques.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Why don't you write "Buff Command Space Abilities"? That's what everyone really wants, because it will help existing Command ships.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    another "I dont like something please take it out of the game" thread?

The command tree is very good that and the pilot work well together the rest are just bleh
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    tom61sto wrote: »
    Rally Point is pretty nice as well.

Most of Intel is also pretty meh, it's just that it has the stand-outs of Override Subsystem Safeties and Surgical Strikes.

Pilot seems far more situational than either of the other two, mostly Tac-Like abilities on Tac-heavy boats.

Most of Pilot BOFF abilities are so clearly PVP oriented that so little of it has use in PVE. What's interesting was this PVP oriented Spec but Cryptic had taken pains to kill PVP over the years.

Intel has strong uses for both PVP and PVE. OSS, SS, Ionic Turbulence stand out in PVE use, even after IT's nerf.

Command is just... Well... It's there! :D
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    I'll give you three guesses how much we care about your opinion of game abilities...
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Think cryptic makes money most out of selling ships which aren’t perfect. That way they ensure that peeps keep on thinking of buying more. With command abilities they have the option to stigmatize popular ships so that they are bought but the ones with the better stats and the ugly appearance as well.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Think cryptic makes money most out of selling ships which aren’t perfect. That way they ensure that peeps keep on thinking of buying more. With command abilities they have the option to stigmatize popular ships so that they are bought but the ones with the better stats and the ugly appearance as well.

which an epic fail on their part cause command both the spec and it's abilities work very well on canon ships because the good command abilities it doesn't matter what your using and in the spec it you get boost for torps which just about every ship uses em.

oh and for people who hate flashy effects command has very few.

but luckly for cryptic dps elitist are easy to manipulate.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User