test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sunrise & Stormbound: Closer to canon than you know.

kovabombkovabomb Member Posts: 52 Arc User
I took the time to do some research on http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Main and re-watched a few Star Trek episodes. The events in the new STO episodes are deeply tied into the show canon.

In TNG 3x19 "Captain's Holiday," Kal Dano is mentioned by name as the 27th century inventor of the Tox Uthat and the device is described as a quantum phase inhibitor, crystalline in appearance, fitting in the palm of the hand, and capable of halting all nuclear fusion in a star. Captain Picard ultimately destroys the device when the Vorgon thieves try to claim it.

In ENT 2x16 "Future Tense," a wrecked 31st century time ship, matching the one we see Kal Dano pilot in STO, is encountered by the NX-01 Enterprise. The dead pilot was mostly human with a mix of Vulcan and then-unknown DNA. The Tholians and the Sulibans both try to claim the ship. Ultimately, the ship and dead pilot was returned to it's proper time.

The developers have managed to tie together two seemingly unrelated events of the show's canon. It would appear that after the Vorgons tried to steal Kal Dano's invention in his home time, he was visited by Temporal Agent Daniels and given access to the time ship to hide the device from those who would abuse the Tox Uthat's power. The rest is STO history.
Post edited by kovabomb on

Comments

• Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Yep. This has been the topic of discussion for a while now. Cool, huh?
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    QUESTION!...

Why the hell did Kal Dano not just destroy the device in the first place rather than just hide it????
  • Options
    kovabombkovabomb Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    grtiggy wrote: »
    QUESTION!...

Why the hell did Kal Dano not just destroy the device in the first place rather than just hide it????

What creator would immediately what to destroy his creation? We saw the good it could do in restarting a star. Like all things, the device was capable of great good and great evil. The hope of using it for good is what preserved it for so long.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    kovabomb wrote: »
    I took the time to do some research on http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Main and re-watched a few Star Trek episodes. The events in the new STO episodes are deeply tied into the show cannon.

In TNG 3x19 "Captain's Holiday," Kal Dano is mentioned by name as the 27th century inventor of the Tox Uthat and the device is described as a quantum phase inhibitor, crystalline in appearance, fitting in the palm of the hand, and capable of halting all nuclear fusion in a star. Captain Picard ultimately destroys the device when the Vorgon thieves try to claim it.

In ENT 2x16 "Future Tense," a wrecked 31st century time ship, matching the one we see Kal Dano pilot in STO, is encountered by the NX-01 Enterprise. The dead pilot was mostly human with a mix of Vulcan and then-unknown DNA. The Tholians and the Sulibans both try to claim the ship. Ultimately, the ship and dead pilot was returned to it's proper time.

The developers have managed to tie together two seemingly unrelated events of the show's cannon. It would appear that after the Vorgons tried to steal Kal Dano's invention in his home time, he was visited by Temporal Agent Daniels and given access to the time ship to hide the device from those who would abuse the Tox Uthat's power. The rest is STO history.

They did a very good job with the two episodes.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Cannon goes boom boom. Canon is defined as a collection or list of sacred books accepted as genuine. Your homonyms are mixed up.

School is out of session.
  • Options
    jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    and it would be cool to tell your star trek buddies (who havn't played sto yet) that it was you all along lol ^^
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    It was a nice touch. And the reason why Kal Dano didn't destroy it, was because it was already destroyed in history by Picard, so he had to preserve the time line.

Let's buckle in people, we got some more things in time to deal with.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »
    It was a nice touch. And the reason why Kal Dano didn't destroy it, was because it was already destroyed in history by Picard, so he had to preserve the time line.

Let's buckle in people, we got some more things in time to deal with.

Time travel causes me headaches
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      straden0straden0 Member Posts: 78 Arc User
      edited November 2015
      One thing that seems to be nagging me though is the Tholians. They seem to be continuously messing with interdimensional/timeline things and getting away clean with it regarding the rest of the interstellar community.

I mean, the alliance should really clamp down and spank them for messing with stuff like this, as it obviously causes grave ramifications for everyone. I'm not trying to beat war drums for STO again as we just got whooped by the Iconians(Not really lol)..

But if the Federation and the CrtH/CrtD Romulans are hesitant to do anything about it, I'd put my stake in the Empire to roll through Tholian territory and give them a good thrashing.

That is all.
    • Options
      gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
      edited November 2015
      I'm a little confused by the story. In the mission I'm fighting and suddenly Kal's craft hurtles by piping out a Mayday. Each time I've played the episode it happens.

So how did Kal die? And his Mayday signal worked in the STO era but not the ENT era? Seems to be since the timeship could only track him to the STO era.

Am I missing anything?
      Joined STO in September 2010.
    • Options
      samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
      He died shortly after travelling through the rift but honestly he should be bones by now at best unless the ship was in a vacuum, which is likely.

You'd think they could've beamed him back before he died of his injuries but even future tech isn't perfect I guess.
    • Options
      gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
      samt1996 wrote: »
      He died shortly after travelling through the rift but honestly he should be bones by now at best unless the ship was in a vacuum, which is likely.

You'd think they could've beamed him back before he died of his injuries but even future tech isn't perfect I guess.

Thanks. Animations of internal ships malfunctions and some Trek babble about the cause of death would be helpful.
      But I appreciate attempts to integrate episodes in story.

I was actually also confused, and bummed, that they introduced a new character built some story and snuffled him out fairly quickly. I thought they would have had a few more episodes or stories with him.
      Joined STO in September 2010.
    • Options
      lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
      Starting to hate time travel...it never makes any sense
    • Options
      bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
      lianthelia wrote: »

It makes sense as long as you don't think time is linear.
    • Options
      tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User

Thanks. Animations of internal ships malfunctions and some Trek babble about the cause of death would be helpful.
      But I appreciate attempts to integrate episodes in story.

I was actually also confused, and bummed, that they introduced a new character built some story and snuffled him out fairly quickly. I thought they would have had a few more episodes or stories with him.

Thing about time travel and people from the future is, they're never "dead". He could constantly come back to our time lol.
    • Options
      tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
      I do have to wonder about the Temporal ship that showed up after Dano was lost.

"Responding" to a distress call, with guns blazing... and no concideraton for how their rash actions could affect the future...
    • Options
      seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
      bioixi wrote: »
      lianthelia wrote: »

It makes sense as long as you don't think time is linear.

Lovely quote from Bioshock Infinite regarding time:

"Time is more an ocean than a river".

The way I interpret that is basically that if you change something early doesn't mean events later are affected. It works in this case, where an object from the future was brought to the past and destroyed.
      latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
      "Let them eat static!"
    • Options
      dheffernandheffernan Member Posts: 93 Arc User
      edited November 2015
      "kovabomb wrote: »
      The developers have managed to tie together two seemingly unrelated events of the show's canon.

What, like that took effort?

This kind of stuff isn't cute, or clever, or creative. It's trite and frankly, downright tragic that with the nigh-unlimited possibilities in the Trek setting this was all the Cryptic team could come up with. Working in a third timewank (the Na'Kuhl are Vosk's people from ENT) just rubbed salt in the wound.

"Stormbound" is just horrible. It's so distasteful I'm not going to run it again, not even for spec points. You recover the "Tox Uthat" after it's been used against the Na'kuhl's star and...don't even try to use it to save the star. You just run off and hide it. This, of course, means the player-character is now responsible for creating two of the worst factions in the Temporal Cold War. Aside from probably killing billions, that is.
      @Venture-1. @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that. Yes, that Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. You'll have to be specific; for me it was Tuesday.
    • Options
      azmodeasazmodeas Member Posts: 132 Arc User
      Also of note the Na'kuhl species we see in stormbound. Are also the same Aliens we see helping the TRIBBLE's in the Enterprise Season four Episode StormFront. Overall I appreciated Cryptic's weaving of trek lore into this feature episode series so far. Still was not a fan of the whole Temporal Cold War story arc from Enterprise... but it's interesting and so far better then the farce of a war we had last season.

Blowing up a sun, killing millions while on paper this looks as bad as Thalaron weaponry and kicking puppies and nuclear carpet bombing planets. It also has involved time travel. Watch some magical space wizardry dues ex machina come into play where things get righted. So wouldn't sweat that we have done some royally evil stuff so far.
    • Options
      tomoyosakagami1tomoyosakagami1 Member Posts: 146 Arc User
      To think, my future self was helping Kal Dano hide the Tax Uthat while I was watching that same episode in ENG where Archer found him.
    • Options
      peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
      lucho80 wrote: »
      I took the time to do some research on http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Main and re-watched a few Star Trek episodes. The events in the new STO episodes are deeply tied into the show cannon.

The developers have managed to tie together two seemingly unrelated events of the show's cannon. It would appear that after the Vorgons tried to steal Kal Dano's invention in his home time, he was visited by Temporal Agent Daniels and given access to the time ship to hide the device from those who would abuse the Tox Uthat's power. The rest is STO history.

They did a very good job with the two episodes.

I think so as well.
      animated.gif
      Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
      felisean wrote: »
      teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    • Options
      rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
      tousseau wrote: »

"Responding" to a distress call, with guns blazing... and no concideraton for how their rash actions could affect the future...

The thing is that they received the distress call, took the time to drink a cup of coffee, investigated what happened in that time, had a holodeck mailfunction that had to be fixed first, three weddings, Captain Picard day and then they decided to show up, knowing that blowing up some Tholians would not injure the timeline. Or would injure it the least.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to get some aspirin.
    • Options
      warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

You'd think so, but no. Because the crew of the Enterprise NX-01 activate the ship's temporal beacon, allowing the future people to locate and recover it, long after he was dead. If they tried to recover the ship from a previous time, the Enterprise couldn't have found it and activated the beacon, thus the future people wouldn't even know about it. Grandfather paradox.
      rahmkota19 wrote: »
      tousseau wrote: »

The thing is that they received the distress call, took the time to drink a cup of coffee, investigated what happened in that time, had a holodeck mailfunction that had to be fixed first, three weddings, Captain Picard day and then they decided to show up, knowing that blowing up some Tholians would not injure the timeline. Or would injure it the least.
      Or, knowing that the invincible Player Ship would've killed all the Tholians in a few moments anyway, decided that coming to "help" and using that as an excuse to ask what happened was no problem at all.

Or, its yet another predestination paradox and they came because their history books said they were there.
    • Options
      thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
      Haven't they been using random elements and plotlines from the shows for a long time? How is this suddenly suprising?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    • Options
      kerygankerygan Member Posts: 254 Arc User
      should i tell you about the multiverse theory ? You will be dissapointed .
    • Options
      artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
      They're exactly as canon as I know.​​
      22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
      Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
      'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    • Options
      lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
      QUESTION!...

No, the real question is why he ran off and hid the thing right after recovering it instead of fixing the damn star. He's either an absolute twit who should be kept away from stairs, sharp objects and kiddy-strength inverse neutrino fields... or he's an amoral mastermind who knew exactly what the consequences were.

The latter option also makes him responsible for the Space TRIBBLE plot, by the way. Just saying.
      Q9BWcdD.png
    • Options
      kianazerokianazero Member Posts: 247 Arc User
      QUESTION!...

What creator would immediately what to destroy his creation? We saw the good it could do in restarting a star. Like all things, the device was capable of great good and great evil. The hope of using it for good is what preserved it for so long.

Restarting a star? Whoa, so it's like the Star Generator from Space Quest?
    • Options
      gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
      lopequil wrote: »
      QUESTION!...

No, the real question is why he ran off and hid the thing right after recovering it instead of fixing the damn star. He's either an absolute twit who should be kept away from stairs, sharp objects and kiddy-strength inverse neutrino fields... or he's an amoral mastermind who knew exactly what the consequences were.

The latter option also makes him responsible for the Space TRIBBLE plot, by the way. Just saying.

Speaking of that plot...we know that Kal Dano's ancestry includes human, Vulcan, and Lukari. However, there does seem to be a little something else there, and despite what should have been a biological impossibility (as much or even more than human-Vulcan mating ought to be ;) ), I am actually wondering if the "other" that I am seeing is a slight trace of Na'kuhl. O_O Which, if so, would be a SUPREME irony given Na'kuhl xenophobia...that someone of their own line invented the Tox Uthat.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
      Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    • Options
      chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
      Wasn't there a Voyager episode where Janeway goes off on a rant about how much she hates temporal anomalies?