test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online: Trait System Improvements Awesome!!!

x10110100x10110100 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
This has been one of my most wanted features since the trait system was added. And way to go on adding new traits to fill out the list for all people.

Thanks.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9653823-star-trek-online:-trait-system-improvements

Comments

• tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    0.o?
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,615 Arc User
    Mystery resolved:

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9653823-star-trek-online:-trait-system-improvements

"Going forward, Personal Traits will be split into two panels within the trait UI – Ground Personal Traits and Space Personal Traits. Players will have access to the same number of traits (9, 10 if playing an Alien species) for both sections, and these traits unlock at the same levels as before. The UI properly sorts out ground and space traits, so you don’t have to worry about accidentally slotting the wrong type of trait.

Additionally, we recognized different species had access to different numbers of ground and space traits. Some species would not have enough options to fill out their Ground Personal Traits and Space Personal Traits without having earned extra ones. As such, we’ve added 4 new ground and 14 new space traits. ... "

Oh... mai...

OK... well then, this has my seal of approval.
  • cuchulainn74cuchulainn74 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    Wow! That looks very nice, indeed. It may not be all sunshine and roses, but Cryptic are clearly invested in making this game better and better. Wonder when this goes live?
    Fleet Admiral CuChulainn - U.S.S. Aegis KT Intel Dreadnought Cruiser
    vGdvFsX.jpg

• giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    Ya, all the traits are nice and separating ground from space is wonderful. Though im a little sad that we're going to have 9 slots for BOTH ground and space. I was hoping Cryptic would start cutting back on the power creep, not make it worse. But oh well still excited, a time frame would have been nice.
    I'm pleased
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,746 Community Moderator
    I read that as we'd still only have 9-10 Personal Traits to split between Ground and Space, not that Ground would 9-10 and Space would get 9-10. :/
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    I read that as we'd still only have 9-10 Personal Traits to split between Ground and Space, not that Ground would 9-10 and Space would get 9-10. :/

This part implies 9+9: "Additionally, we recognized different species had access to different numbers of ground and space traits. Some species would not have enough options to fill out their Ground Personal Traits and Space Personal Traits without having earned extra ones."
  • bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    The fact that they couldn't even anticipate the need for this from the beginning just beggar's belief...
    I also read that as the new Traits were added to make up for that lack of Traits. Once again, not that there would be extra Trait Slots.
    GrWzQke.png
    edited November 2015
    [Quote]Players will have access to the [b]same number of traits (9, 10 if playing an Alien species) for both sections[/b], and these traits unlock at the same levels as before. [/quote]
    It's for both traits
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    At least they didn't TRIBBLE it up the way they did the Reputation Traits, which were cut down and split.

Now if only they can add another slot or two to the Reputation and Starship Trait set for a total of 5-6 base slots and 6-7 via R.Lab unlocks.
  • tomoyosakagami1tomoyosakagami1 Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    Good, I've been spending too much time trying to pick 5 space and 4 ground or 5 ground and 4 space.
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    Everyone will get 9 slots for ground traits and 9 slots for space traits. It's on testing with Tribble. After we're happy with it, we'll push to Holodeck. Hope that clears things up.
    Well, thank you very much for the clarification, @pwlaughingtrendy :)
    GrWzQke.png
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    This looks promising...
    Everyone will get 9 slots for ground traits and 9 slots for space traits. It's on testing with Tribble. After we're happy with it, we'll push to Holodeck. Hope that clears things up.

I understand from the article that Aliens will retain 10 slots a piece...is that still the plan?

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,117 Arc User
    Now if only they can add another slot or two to the Reputation and Starship Trait set for a total of 5-6 base slots and 6-7 via R.Lab unlocks.

While I would also certainly like to use more of the fine traits available, the more they give us, the less we have to think about what we need, the less engaging the trait setup becomes.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    edited November 2015
    > I understand from the article that Aliens will retain 10 slots a piece...is that still the plan?

The article was just posted so it probably hasn't changed since then :) . This is slightly unfair to non-aliens since aliens get 10+10 while non-aliens get 9+9+1 racial trait

Plus, Romulan aliens can wear a goatee. Real Romulans? We can't! :mad:
  • amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    Hmmm... lets see:

"Innocuous
    –Threat gen, + Crit Severity"

YEEEESSSSSS.

"Fleet Coordinator
    +All Damage for each member of your team (self included)"

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

"Beam Training
    +Beam Weapon Damage"

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

"Operative
    +Crit Chance and Crit Severity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Im gonna go with yes. Do want. All of those.
    7NGGeUP.png

• monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    Super awesome. :grin:
    > I understand from the article that Aliens will retain 10 slots a piece...is that still the plan?

The article was just posted so it probably hasn't changed since then :) . This is slightly unfair to non-aliens since aliens get 10+10 while non-aliens get 9+9+1 racial trait

Plus, Romulan aliens can wear a goatee. Real Romulans? We can't! :mad:

Alien species captains don't have a built in racial trait. That's why they've always had the extra trait slot. For other species the racial trait makes up for the extra trait slot aliens get.
  • helixsunbringerhelixsunbringer Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited November 2015

This part implies 9+9: "Additionally, we recognized different species had access to different numbers of ground and space traits. Some species would not have enough options to fill out their Ground Personal Traits and Space Personal Traits without having earned extra ones."

EDIT: Whoops, nevermind...
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User

This is completely unlikely. My Romulan defaults at only having a total of 6 Space Traits, and 12 Ground Traits, without having purchased any additional. Seems a bit lopsided to allow a 9/9 split between the two, especially since you would need purchase 3 additional space traits to even fill that up to begin with.

I'm pretty sure that is the reason Cryptic is giving us 13 space traits and 4 ground ones when the split happens
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Bravo a great improvement indeed. Well done dev team. Glad this finally got done.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    Woot!

That is all.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited November 2015

This is completely unlikely. My Romulan defaults at only having a total of 6 Space Traits, and 12 Ground Traits, without having purchased any additional. Seems a bit lopsided to allow a 9/9 split between the two, especially since you would need purchase 3 additional space traits to even fill that up to begin with.

I'm pretty sure that is the reason Cryptic is giving us 13 space traits and 4 ground ones when the split happens

Playable Catians and Ferasans only have 2 space traits (Accurate and Elusive), plus a couple or so career specific traits, giving them less than 8 space traits total. So my Feline captains will be very happy with the new traits being added :love:
  • helixsunbringerhelixsunbringer Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    So I just have to ask... the new Operative Trait that is available to all races:

Is this in addition too, or a replacement for the preexisting Romulan Operative Trait?

I only ask because if it is in addition too, then it is just going to make Romulan's all the more OP in terms of their damage potential. But if it is a replacement for, then it is an addition which could make it so all races are on more equal footing once again... at least when it comes to Captain Traits, certainly not Bridge Officer Traits...
  • turbionturbion Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    Nice change, looking forward to it.
  • shrimphead2015shrimphead2015 Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    Sounds like a good deal all around !
    Hmmm... lets see:

"Innocuous
    –Threat gen, + Crit Severity"

YEEEESSSSSS.

"Fleet Coordinator
    +All Damage for each member of your team (self included)"

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

"Beam Training
    +Beam Weapon Damage"

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

"Operative
    +Crit Chance and Crit Severity:

Im gonna go with yes. Do want. All of those.

I am so with you on that !​​
    "There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life." - Ten Bears (Will Sampson)
  • aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited November 2015
    It looks great on Tribble. Now, if only we could get this same thing for active reputation traits, as it would eliminate cumbersome trait-swapping entirely.

Currently, active reputation still mixes ground and space traits, forcing players to choose ground-heavy vs space-heavy.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • kaiserkactokaiserkacto Member Posts: 482 Arc User

Well, that sounds quite good, thank you very much, I will be waiting for this​​
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    The deeds of men remain the same..."
    12701.png