test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

More Star Trek in STO, please

I love the game, but I would really enjoy more exploratory missions and the like. The old nebula system was great--it allowed captains to pass time and gain small rewards by participating in somewhat random encounters. In the shows, the crew(s) where always encountering some unexpected phenomenon or ailen--some where dangerous, some where helpful, while others where simply "curious." The Gamma quadrant seems a good location for this, accesses via Bajor's "Ceestrial Temple" (aka the worm whole). DS9 bearly scratched the surface of what could be there.

Comments

• Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    You can actually expore the existing sector...

Now you are thinking "that is not what I meant... I want to find strange things and aliens"....

Well... I can't help with the aliens, but there are Abandoned ships, Rouge comets and other anomalies that randomly appear in sector space...

I was surprised too, but they actually exist.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    anazonda wrote: »

Now you are thinking "that is not what I meant... I want to find strange things and aliens"....

Well... I can't help with the aliens, but there are Abandoned ships, Rouge comets and other anomalies that randomly appear in sector space...

This. I hope in the future they will expand upon the types of things that appear randomly. This would be a good addition to the exploration aspect of STO.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Gah, another exploration thread.

Even TNG just used "exploration" as an excuse to be where the plot took place, not as the plot itself.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User

The comets are white, and the unknown nebulae look more brownish than rouge.

• Options
    mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    What about the derelic ships, anything to be found there?
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    mayito2009 wrote: »
    What about the derelic ships, anything to be found there?
    crafting mats.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mayito2009mayito2009 Member Posts: 643 Arc User
    Awesome time to go exploring the gamma q
    Seek and ye shall find. Ask and ye shall receive. Rabboni
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin).

Most unexpectedly, this turned into a flame-fest! Closed it goes!. /sigh What flamefestery is this? pwlaughingtrendy
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    I love the game, but I would really enjoy more exploratory missions and the like. The old nebula system was great--it allowed captains to pass time and gain small rewards by participating in somewhat random encounters. In the shows, the crew(s) where always encountering some unexpected phenomenon or ailen--some where dangerous, some where helpful, while others where simply "curious." The Gamma quadrant seems a good location for this, accesses via Bajor's "Ceestrial Temple" (aka the worm whole). DS9 bearly scratched the surface of what could be there.

the only problem with the old nebula exploratory missions was that after a few visits all the phenomenon or ailens you got there were never unexpected, just more of the same.

they would have to implement something really radical for it to be anything like true exploration.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »

Even TNG just used "exploration" as an excuse to be where the plot took place, not as the plot itself.

maybe this sentence is the cause of all the questions about exploration in this game.

"Explore strange new worlds, seek out new life and new civilizations, and boldly go in this expanding vast universe"

false advertising???

from here: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User

the only problem with the old nebula exploratory missions was that after a few visits all the phenomenon or ailens you got there were never unexpected, just more of the same.

they would have to implement something really radical for it to be anything like true exploration.

I want those old missions back. What we had was vastly superior to NOTHING at all. don't like it don't play it. Obviously we would prefer something better, but if we don't get it we at least want back what was taken.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User

Now now dont be so angry i think everyone wants to explore strange new worlds...to conquer to discover new lifeforms so we can shoot them and boldy kill where no trek has killed before lol

and they call the mirror universe evil just because of goatees :D
  • Options
    vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    You know some of those Foundry missions are fantastic, with expansive and very imaginative maps.
    Some of them leave me with the feeling I've explored a strange new world :p
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,551 Arc User
    See: The Foundry
  • Options
    happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited October 2015

And in every Star Trek series "combat" was rarely the solution, and the potential for combat was usually used to give meaning to the conflict, and generally averted. And yet in STO, "story" is used as an excuse to feed us relatively generic combat situations where we blow up successive waves of enemy ships, or shoot successive waves of enemy soldiers... or commonly both.

I'd just as soon the developers spend some time making pointless exploration threaded together with a loose narrative than pointless pew pew threaded together with a loose narrative since they've been busy doing the latter almost exclusively for over five and half years now.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,117 Arc User
    The comets are white, and the unknown nebulae look more brownish than rouge.

Dang, you beat me to it ;)
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    hyefatherhyefather Member Posts: 1,286 Arc User

IF this is true and I'm not disputing your word its just I've been playing the game now for 3 years, getting close to 4 and I've never just ran upon a ship in need or a comet that needed destroyed because it was going to hit a planet and kill people.

I swear and this is no exaggration. If while playing the game and these occurrences was to happen alot more (if ever) it would personally take the game (IMO) from being a 7 on a rating system all the way up to a 9. To be able to help a disabled ship or protect them from an attack would be such a break from the norm. Especially if it was random and to save a planet from a comet and get rewarded for it. Dil or item, it would be awesome. I sure hope somebody at cryptic reads your post. I know these things may seem small in some ppls eyes but for me it would be a game changer.

• Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    hyefather wrote: »

IF this is true and I'm not disputing your word its just I've been playing the game now for 3 years, getting close to 4 and I've never just ran upon a ship in need or a comet that needed destroyed because it was going to hit a planet and kill people.

I swear and this is no exaggration. If while playing the game and these occurrences was to happen alot more (if ever) it would personally take the game (IMO) from being a 7 on a rating system all the way up to a 9. To be able to help a disabled ship or protect them from an attack would be such a break from the norm. Especially if it was random and to save a planet from a comet and get rewarded for it. Dil or item, it would be awesome. I sure hope somebody at cryptic reads your post. I know these things may seem small in some ppls eyes but for me it would be a game changer.

It's not as in-depth as what you seem to be hoping for. In sector space, since it was revamped, there will occasionally be a derelict ship, a comet or a strange nebula at certain spots that you can interact with and get crafting materials from. You won't really save the ship, or destroy the comet because it's threatening a planet or anything quite like that. They're mostly just the sector space equivalents of the resource nodes in mission maps. It's a nice bit of flavor, but that's about it.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User

And in every Star Trek series "combat" was rarely the solution, and the potential for combat was usually used to give meaning to the conflict, and generally averted. And yet in STO, "story" is used as an excuse to feed us relatively generic combat situations where we blow up successive waves of enemy ships, or shoot successive waves of enemy soldiers... or commonly both.

I'd just as soon the developers spend some time making pointless exploration threaded together with a loose narrative than pointless pew pew threaded together with a loose narrative since they've been busy doing the latter almost exclusively for over five and half years now.

Well said.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User

Actually in Kirk's time combat was always the solution unless the foe outmatched the Enterprise.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    at the end of the day you might at well take the list of available missions (including foundry) and stick a pin in it without looking and just play that mission that in itself would be more then the exploration clusters could possibly offer and would be just as random if not more so and probably more fun.
    with the exploration missions you could virtually predict every time you went the missions you would get that usually featured the same old abandoned installation with consoles to scan, the same old planet with alien artefacts to scan and the same old planet with enemy to defeat.

its a shame because the clusters could have been so much better, there just wasn't enough elements in there for the game to draw from to make the missions random enough or interesting enough.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User

maybe this sentence is the cause of all the questions about exploration in this game.

"Explore strange new worlds, seek out new life and new civilizations, and boldly go in this expanding vast universe"

false advertising???

from here: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online

No more false then Kirk or Picard using that line - when in essence it was assumed they were doing that mission during the times we DIDN'T see them on TV in an episode because as the OP of this response mentioned, many of the episode teasers started with: "We were sent to explore/map/etc. <--- and 30 seconds AFTER that line, the ACTUAL plot/focus of the upcoming episode would reveal itself; and at the END of said episode they would either mention that they need to get back to explore/map the area they were still in; or they flew off to a Starbase to repair or their next assignment.

Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."