test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Krenim Timeship - Now What?

hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
Ever since my captain (well, one of them) did the first Krenim mission, and the suggestion was first made, my question (possibly channeling McCoy's thoughts on Genesis) has been: "And then what?"

So let's say we go ahead and build a flying time gun, with the generous assistance of our entirely trustworthy allies, the Krenim... and then what?
Suppose we do find the perfect spot to change history in our favor... and then what?
Hooray, the war is over! And we still have... someone (Nog?) flying around the galaxy at the controls of a ship that can wipe entire civilizations out of having ever existed...

Now what?

Are they going to keep it around, "just in case"? Make a few more "tiny", "harmless" edits? Even if they do the IMO sensible thing and dismantle it (or blow it up), the idea still exists - the genie, as they say, is out of the bottle.

Will we even be told what happens, or will it be one more dangling plot thread?

EDIT: Since the war was ultimately resolved through "conventional" time travel, of the sort that's possible through other means - the Guardian of Forever, slingshot maneuver, etc etc - IMO the best solution might be to fire the time gun at itself, retroactively and entirely removing it from the timeline, similar to the end of the original two-part VOY episode. Just leave a temporally-shielded note to try something else, and not waste time (hah) going down a blind alley.

Comments

• Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    Some of the dev comments about S11 suggest that time travel will play a significant role in the next storyline missions. So I expect the fate of the Krenim weapon will be explored there.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    Some of the dev comments about S11 suggest that time travel will play a significant role in the next storyline missions. So I expect the fate of the Krenim weapon will be explored there.

It gets kind of weird though, when one considers it can also be in the hands of the player, it was rather strange when the Annorax became available to players before even the second mission in which it would be in NPC hands was released, so there could be TWO Annorax ships, as if one wasn't scary enough to be around O.o.
  • Options
    dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    Two ? the alliance build hundreds of them and sold them to the Ferengis for one of their lotery games. I heard something about Daboot tournament on Nimbus 3.
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Maybe we land it in Space Area 51 for a rainy day?

And sell the floor plans to the Lobi Consortium, of course.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    I was disappointed. They made such a huge deal of the ship, the Krenim were the ultimate threat to the Iconians, to the point they got the Vaadwaur to exterminate them...and then, meh. They also made this incredible weapon just open a portal that they could have anyway! The Enterprise did exactly the same thing in First Contact! For the sake of obliterating a series, there should have been some monumental battle...with Chroniton torpedos, temporal shielding and maybe turning the Iconians good, through a temporal incursion. It also does jar that everyone else was the bad guy 200,000 years ago...especially when you factor in the probes. In recent battles, they were weapons, but in TNG it was designed to transmit information...and that was against the Iconians principals and the reason they were attacked by the other races, who wanted their knowledge. The Krenim should have been the key and so should the reason for their destruction...evil.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    I feel like there should have been something established prior to the use of the timeship establishing other time travel options as off-limits. Have the Heralds occupy Gateway. Have an Omega particle detonation in subspace render slingshotting impossible.
  • Options
    All that said, the weapon can't be used on itself now. If it were, we'd never go back. If we never go back, Sela never attempts to kill the Iconians. If she never attempts to kill the Iconians, they never go after Romulus. If Romulus doesn't get destroyed, they wind up getting themselves assimilated.
  • Options
    Thus my suggestion of a temporally-shielded note, to tell ourselves not to bother with this bad idea and instead try one of the established forms of time travel that you just tried to handwave away. :p

Bonus points if doing that right away, instead of trying to hold the Iconians back until the weapon is ready, means that we don't lose all those ships and people with that brilliant "get everyone together and charge straight at them" *cough "plan."
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    The ship probably crashed into something and exploded when Kagran tried to park it somewhere.

Still wondering how he managed to dodge that particular doff assignment.......
  • Options
    gardatgardat Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    They lost the keys and nobody can be bothered looking for them.
    486 DX2/66Mhz, 4MB SD-RAM, 16KB L-1 cache, 120MB HDD, 3.5" FDD, 2x CD-ROM, 8-Bit Soundblaster Pro, IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard, Microsoft trackball mouse, 256KB S3 graphics chip, 14" VGA CRT monitor, MS-DOS 6.22
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    I seem to remember it being altered to open time-portals rather than altering the timeline...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    Maybe our first mission will be piloting the thing into a star, or locking it behind a stasis field with the keys being held by multiple factions as the ultimate WMD.
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    It'll get used for future plot events. When the writers are done with it, it'll get destroyed along with all data that could be used to build another.

Since it's existence is itself now plot-required (for Midnight), they can't actually erase it from history anymore like in Voyager.

If I had to make a guess at this point, the Krenim, or Sela, or some other wacko who wants to undo some past disaster with no care for the consequences will get ahold of it. For this purpose it doesn't really matter if it was permanently modified to only make portals or if it can still just erase things like before. Then we'll have to stop them and blow the ship up.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    And this is yet another reason why basing the entire story arc on time travel was a horrendously bad idea: we end up with a loose superweapon to worry about.

To everyone who voted for VOY and Krenim: you have only yourselves to blame for this godawful story.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Sela can time travel without a Krenim ship. Hell, anyone can.

There is a principle in time travel fiction I have heard called, "Conservation of History" which is a play on Conservation of Momentum. In effect, it results in, 'whatever you do in the past has already happened' and, in fact, your participation is required to bring about the history we know. No matter what you do in the past, it can't change history because it already happened that way.

It's also mis-named "Predestination Paradox" but it is not a paradox at all, nor does it in any way impact your free will to choose. The end result will be that you do exactly what needs to be done in the past to insure your future plays out as it has, which is exactly what we have happen in Midnight.

There is a less commonly used aspect of Conservation of History which is that the farther you get from the point of temporal disturbance, (assuming you can alter history,) the less its effect. Let's use an hypothetical example here, if you will indulge me:

Assume you time travel back and kill Hitler. (A famous plot point of the post-war era of SciFi.) Conservation of History says that WW2 still happens with some other madman in charge, and that by a decade, century, or millennia from the alteration, the 'new' history is virtually indistinguishable from the 'old' one.

This is the opposite of the Butterfly Effect. In this case, rather than a butterfly's wings starting a storm on the other side of the world, you could create a storm on one side of the world without disturbing the butterfly at all. This is why Annorax, despite all of his manipulation, couldn't undo his wife's death. Time heals itself.

Thus, the timeship as a weapon is useless. No matter what you do with it, you can only eventually get the same result you had before you began.

Oooh! Story idea! You go back in time to kill Hitler, but accidentally mis-identify some poor TRIBBLE as Hitler and instead you kill Archduke Ferdinand. Not only don't you alter history, you actually create the circumstances that turn Hitler into a radical!
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    It's not a "loose superweapon." Keeping it in play is clearly intentional. If the devs didn't want to use it anymore, it would've been trivially easy to have the Iconian dreadnought blow it up as soon as you're through the portal.
  • Options
    vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    Season 12 temporal cold war incoming.:P
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    From what I inferred about how the Krenim view these things, they probably will either mothball the time ship, or else keep it on reserve, and maybe lock the Incursion commands behind a "two key" style security system of some sort.
    They had the plans for the ship for over 200 years, and never saw fit to recreate it til now, because as they themselves felt, the slow decline of their empire was probably in the cards all along; but their persecution and near extinction at the hands of the Vaadwaur was not.
    If anything, the Krenim will probably just be asked to be left alone like they were before. They really seemed to have no interest in the galactic political stage.
    At most, I could see some of them acting as consultants for temporal affairs and whatnot. Their understanding of all things relating to time manipulation will more than likely be very appreciated, but other than that? The Krenim will more than likely be a non-issue from here on out.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User

This! For the right price, you can wipe out anyone or anything. It's gonna cost ya though.
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2015
    goodscotch wrote: »

This! For the right price, you can wipe out anyone or anything. It's gonna cost ya though.

"17822 was a very interesting year on Ferenginar. In that year alone, over twenty thousand Grand Nagi held office; the Ferengi Financial Exchange crashed 3152 times, while setting 12322 record highs; there were 41098 civil wars; an unknown number of Ferengi-incited interstellar wars (estimates are in the millions); and the Ferengi sun went nova at least once a week.
    In other words, 17822 was the year Ferenginar discovered time travel."

-- Legends of the Ferengi, Ira Steven Behr and Robert Hewitt Wolfe
  • Options
    mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    i'd rather just use the guardian of forever to hide in the T'kon Empire before their civil war and just bow out of this current time-line...........
  • Options
    lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    It's not a "loose superweapon." Keeping it in play is clearly intentional. If the devs didn't want to use it anymore, it would've been trivially easy to have the Iconian dreadnought blow it up as soon as you're through the portal.

And remind us yet again that they didn't bother to watch Year of Hell because if they did they'd know the Annorax designed temporal shields make it immune to all attacks?
  • Options
    lizwei wrote: »

And remind us yet again that they didn't bother to watch Year of Hell because if they did they'd know the Annorax designed temporal shields make it immune to all attacks?

Well, that's not quite what he did but the ship we used was hastily constructed and unfinished, likely lacking major systems.
  • Options
    lizwei wrote: »

Well, that's not quite what he did but the ship we used was hastily constructed and unfinished, likely lacking major systems.

What, more hastily constructed than the Voyager's temporal shields made on a broken ship while under constant attack that still manage to be somehow better?
    Yeah I don't think so.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    starswordc wrote: »
    And this is yet another reason why basing the entire story arc on time travel was a horrendously bad idea: we end up with a loose superweapon to worry about.

You mean like nukes in WWII, which set of a COLD WAR, only this time with TEMPORAL weaponry?

Hey they've got to lead into it somehow. That's not saying "TCP arc confirmed!" but that little gem from ENT is pretty much the only significant future conflict (besides the war with the Sphere Builders) that Cryptic could nudge the setting towards.

I actually like it, it very immediately builds continuity between STO's galactic fun-land and the IP on which it's (to varying degrees) based without resorting to yet another nod, cameo, or other reference.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    starswordc wrote: »

You mean like nukes in WWII, which set of a COLD WAR, only this time with TEMPORAL weaponry?

Hey they've got to lead into it somehow. That's not saying "TCP arc confirmed!" but that little gem from ENT is pretty much the only significant future conflict (besides the war with the Sphere Builders) that Cryptic could nudge the setting towards.

I actually like it, it very immediately builds continuity between STO's galactic fun-land and the IP on which it's (to varying degrees) based without resorting to yet another nod, cameo, or other reference.

The temporal cold war was such a ludicrously bad idea that the only way the sane writers of season 4 ENT saw fit to end it was with space TRIBBLE. That's how much contempt they and the audience had for it.
  • Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Actually, it was Berman that dumped the Space TRIBBLE into it last minute season 3. Manny Coto, who ran the show in seaeson 4, had no control over it. He was just given space TRIBBLE to open his season with and had to run with that. All things considering, I think he did a good job of finishing that mess.

The Temporal Cold War was a good idea in concept, it was just very poorly executed on the show.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    I NEVER understood by they didn't reuse the 29th century and the Relativity, instead of creating the awful 31st century storyline. The Wells is a beautiful ship, there was so much scope and instead, Enterprise just crapped all over everything. That series couldn't handle that it was 100-years before Kirk, so they needed to jump to the 31st century, have a polarized hull that was more effective than shields and could extract components from enemy vessels, in a way that couldn't be done in the 24th century. Seriously...that series did make me sick and not just because they made Scott Bakula dye his hair.
  • Options
    On the plus side, the Na'kuhl are 29th century.

And I think part of the reason they didn't reuse the Relativity is because they wanted costumes that looked less Star Trek-y but also because the Relativity bridge is actually the movie Sovereign bridge with parts of Voyager's sickbay grafted on. I'm not sure they had access to the sets.
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    Question- Krenim Timeship - Now what?

Answer- Now the Federation has to make sure the ship doesn't fall into the hands of any other faction. Only the Federation can be trusted with such a weapon.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.