What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cardassian Revamp Episode 2

Comments

• Options
    medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    bioixi wrote: »
    I've been playing this episode, it's really good, way better than the first one in terms of dialogs and plot, an mirror Bajor looks really cool, it has a 20th century dystopian touch, a dark, grim, industrial look.

Admiral Leeta makes an appearance, and she looks really good.

Some screenshots:

Question: why are the badlands GREEN in some of those shots?​​

I don't know if this counts as a spoiler but...
    To show you are in the Mirror Universe's Badlands... that's really it.
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • Options
    ragingloliragingloli Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    Those reflections on the wet floor are completely wrong.
    It's 2015, use raytracing.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    robeasom wrote: »
    Love how people want these to be removed as they have nothing to do with Cardassia. Have they ever watched Star Trek even in Ds9 during the Dominion war they had episodes that had nothing to do with that. I found those episodes a welcome break from the story. Now I have nothing against remaking content but the missions that are gone for good should be just redone as exploration missions in the nebulas or as side missions. But Season 11 looks to be as bland and boring as Season 10 and 10.5 What will it be cryptic removing 10 episodes adding 4 giving 1 or 2 queued events and some useless dil sink. My enthusiam for season 11 is draining

Um excuse me? Useless Dil sink? Unless you have inside information about the game that they didn't release, I don't think we're getting an new Dilithium sink in season 11. There's still plenty that they announced that will be part of this season:

-Cardassian Struggle revamp (Prelude to new Mirror Universe stuff)
    -Two new episodes
    - Season focuses in on an enemy that has been in Star Trek but never in this game
    - new Badlands Battlezone w/ a new Rep, possibly to do with the Mirror Universe
    - Admirality System (Space doff system which makes use of the ships we have to assignments)
    - of course, new queues

Never judge a season until it's fully out on tribble.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,401 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Mirror Bajorans are so much more fun.
    Unfortunately, it seems Mirror!Kira and Mirror!Leeta are the exceptions as
    *WARNING SPOILERS about one of the revamped episodes on Tribble*
    the other Mirror!Bajoran NPCs on the Mirror!Hathon map react like the Prime!Bajorans, except maybe slightly lacking a backbone. Heck, the Vedek is even opposed to violence, friendly and thankful towards you when you bring back the Mirror!Orb. Granted, they could think you're part of the Terran Empire but seeing you killed a bunch of Imperial soldiers under the orders of the Fleet Admiral across the map, I doubt it. Also, for once, a strong NPC has a reason to be so strong despite looking like any other NPCs of his kind. I honestly didn't expect the twist, considering the stuff related to it was supposed to start in the next unreleased revamped episode.

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Cutting old missions? Good riddance. Toss it into the grave with old exploration and Divide et Impera and bury it. It's old TRIBBLE that looks as cheap and rushed as it actually was and it's long overdue for a culling.

I'm still intensely irritated that it's only being replaced by four mission, though. I understand it isn't practical to replace cut stuff at a 1-to-1 ratio, but we're talking a substantial loss of quantity. I don't think anyone would have made too much of a fuss if you puffed it up to six or so episodes at a minor quality loss.
  • Options
    bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    the other Mirror!Bajoran NPCs on the Mirror!Hathon map react like the Prime!Bajorans, except maybe slightly lacking a backbone. Heck, the Vedek is even opposed to violence, friendly and thankful towards you when you bring back the Mirror!Orb. Granted, they could think you're part of the Terran Empire but seeing you killed a bunch of Imperial soldiers under the orders of the Fleet Admiral across the map, I doubt it. Also, for once, a strong NPC has a reason to be so strong despite looking like any other NPCs of his kind. I honestly didn't expect the twist, considering the stuff related to it was supposed to start in the next unreleased revamped episode.

Considering how Bajor looks like, it seems more plausible that the Vedek was the exception to the rule.

• Options
    bioixi wrote: »

Considering how Bajor looks like, it seems more plausible that the Vedek was the exception to the rule.
    There are also the
    Bajoran guards at the checkpoint who are frightened by your character getting rid of the universe-displaced Cardassians and kicking Admiral Leeta's lame troops.
    I'd say they didn't have much choice but to let Mirror!Bajor become what it is now. Apathetic citizens and all the related tropes, maybe.

#TASforSTO
  • Options
    heavensrunheavensrun Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    I'm a little tired of "It's sexy! That's how you know how it's evil and corrupt!" Some of the nicest places you can live in the world today are open-minded about sex.
  • Options
    heavensrun wrote: »
    I'm a little tired of "It's sexy! That's how you know how it's evil and corrupt!" Some of the nicest places you can live in the world today are open-minded about sex.
    That's not the sexy factor that is important, that's how it's used that is important to emphasize the evil. That'd be like having Mirror!Vatican City with 5 sex shops/strip clubs surrounding the St Peter's Basilica.
    #TASforSTO
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    That's not the sexy factor that is important, that's how it's used that is important to emphasize the evil. That'd be like having Mirror!Vatican City with 5 sex shops/strip clubs surrounding the St Peter's Basilica.

Added to that, I think what's being implied isn't just sex as a concept. Without having played the episode, and only seeing the few preview images in the dev blog, I'd say it's sexual exploitation and quite possibly predation that is being suggested in the MU--i.e. unhealthy sexuality.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    heavensrunheavensrun Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited September 2015

That's my point, though. Sex shops are not inherently evil, but in fiction, constantly, sex is a shorthand for corruption. Want to show that Mirror Kira is evil? Make her sexy and bisexual! Evil mirror universe? Midriff! Corrupt Mirror Bajor? Sexy neon signs!

I'm kinda sick of it. STO isn't the only offender on this.
  • Options
    tinyfistedtinyfisted Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    That's my point, though. Sex shops are not inherently evil, but in fiction, constantly, sex is a shorthand for corruption. Want to show that Mirror Kira is evil? Make her sexy and bisexual! Evil mirror universe? Midriff! Corrupt Mirror Bajor? Sexy neon signs!

Almost right. The mirror universe isn't inherently _evil_. It's inherently _opposite_. Modern Starfleet uniforms are modest and non-discriminatory. So Mirror!Starfleet uniforms are both gender dimorphic _and_ immodest (for the one gender). The premise that Starfleet is _good_ is what made Mirror!Starfleet (I love this notation!) evil.

What you're seeing in Mirror!Bajor isn't corruption so much as immodesty and likely irreligiousness. (...Although it may well be corruption, too, since Bajor's corruption was mostly limited to
    certain members of their theocracy
    .)

Now, the interesting part for me is what this means for Kira. Kira is sexually modest. Mirror!Kira is sexually flamboyant. However, since there's no evidence of obvious orientation differences in other character pairs, I'm sort of wondering if Mirror!Kira is bisexual because Kira isn't... or because she is! (Which would be pretty cool, actually, since Kira was never written to be a (bi)sexual stereotype.)
    86B6EC45459D17DB8AE6CD5F51C13A90CDC00A85
  • Options
    edited September 2015

I'm kinda sick of it. STO isn't the only offender on this.
    And you keep missing the point actually. Why is Mirror!Kira evil? Not because she's sexy and bisexual, otherwise, Prime!Kira and Prime!Dax are evil as well, but because and I quote Memory Alpha:
    Kira was formerly the Intendant of the Alliance space station Terok Nor, with her second in command Elim Garak. Kira ruled over the station with an iron fist, but used varying methods to do her job. She was manipulative where necessary, but ruthless and violent on other occasions, often rounding up Terran slaves and executing them randomly. She did, however, often view certain people with a certain affection, allowing them privileges in return for their loyalty and dedication. When Major Kira Nerys crossed through the Bajoran wormhole into her universe in 2370, the Intendant became enamored with her counterpart. (DS9: "Crossover")

Kira often displayed hedonistic tendencies, surrounding herself in her quarters with Human slaves both male and female. By 2375 she had also, apparently, engaged in a relationship with Ezri Tigan. (DS9: "The Emperor's New Cloak")

She was particularly fond of Benjamin Sisko. She allowed him to have a ship and a crew, which he used to commit acts of piracy in order to collect tribute for her. She was horrified when Sisko turned against her and formed the Terran Rebellion. (DS9: "Crossover")

[...]

Kira was captured by the rebels in 2372 and tortured for information, but escaped after having manipulated Nog into helping her escape, killing him shortly afterwards. (DS9: "Shattered Mirror")
    She's evil because she's a sadistic, hedonistic, and depraved murderer using her sex-appeal to get what she wants. Not because she's sexy. Sure, you can assume that being sexy MAY be the first hint it's an evil universe, but it's because of the implications and everything around it.

If I land in another universe on a beach with sexy people, I'm not gonna assume it's a mirror/evil universe.
    If I land in another universe in a military location I know from my universe with women showing cleavage, a slave market, banners saying "heil our emperor", and a female prisoner looking beat up being brought to the brig by 2 officers (male and/or female) laughing darkly and slapping her butt, I'm gonna assume I didn't land in a nice universe.

So, really, it's actually:

Want to show that Mirror Kira is evil? Make her sexy and bisexual and depraved and a TRIBBLE, murderer ! Evil mirror universe? Midriff, brutality, torture, manipulation and knives behind the back! Corrupt Mirror Bajor? Sexy neon signs around a temple holding the Bajoran equivalent to the holy grail!
    Post edited by saurializard on
    #TASforSTO
  • Options
    farshorefarshore Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    I thought the original point to the Mirrorverse was to show that only humans were mirrors. If there's one Mirror character that doesn't make a whole lot of sense it's Smiley, unless O'Brien is a true neutral character and thus has no opposite.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I played this on Tribble last night and hated it.

It started off with blatent racism and having lines my captain would not say. And then we end up fighting Mirror Leeta who is nothing but Team Rocket in always running off. I didn't think it was possible to turn a Star Trek character into a cartoon character!

And on top of it all, we now have Mirror Prophets, when its stated in Star Trek canon that the Prophets are inter-dimensional and exist outside of time. Which means Mirror Prophets cannot exist! To make it worse, the Mirror Prophets said, "I didn't think we get it back"....wait, don't the Mirror Prophets exist out of time, so how could they express such linear and emotional thinking? Meh.

I swear, whoever took over for Kestrel is a terrible writer. I've honestly seen better Foundry missions than this drivel. It's ashame we lost 13 hours of content for content that's done in under 7 minutes.
  • Options
    farshorefarshore Member Posts: 353 Arc User
    -The previous Cardy story arc was nowhere near 13 hours, more like 2.

Each mission takes about 30 minutes to an hour, and there are 19 of them. If you actually read the dialogue and try to enjoy the arc, you'll spend considerable amounts of time playing it.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    And on top of it all, we now have Mirror Prophets, when its stated in Star Trek canon that the Prophets are inter-dimensional and exist outside of time. Which means Mirror Prophets cannot exist! To make it worse, the Mirror Prophets said, "I didn't think we get it back"....wait, don't the Mirror Prophets exist out of time, so how could they express such linear and emotional thinking? Meh.
    As I said in another thread
    Also, to add onto something.

Prophets are "inter-dimensional", that is true. However, dimensions are things within a singular universe, not multiple universes.

Being "inter-dimensional" does not mean one exists in multiple parallel universe, only that one exists within multiple dimensions with one universe.

"inter-dimensional" =/= "inter-universal"

Also
    -Team Rocket doesn't run away. They get blasted away

It's convienent that you fail to quote the reply I've left in that same thread. Quoting directly from Memory Alpha that the Mirror Universe is confirmed NOT "another universe" but another Dimension of the Prime Universe. And I've directly quoted the description of the Bajoran Prophets being interdimensional.

So by Star Trek itself and offically cited sources. Mirror Universe Prophets cannot exist, because they would be the same ones.
    Team Rocket doesn't run away. They get blasted away

Obviously you have an unhealthy obsession with me in having to disagree with everything I say. Nontheless, they written Mirror Leeta as a stupid cartoon character, even if you don't agree with the Team Rocket Reference.

There are two letters in the alphabet that bests replies to this: B and S.
  • Options
    bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    It's convienent that you fail to quote the reply I've left in that same thread. Quoting directly from Memory Alpha that the Mirror Universe is confirmed NOT "another universe" but another Dimension of the Prime Universe. And I've directly quoted the description of the Bajoran Prophets being interdimensional.
    Except nowhere in the TV shows is that ever confirmed. And, in fact, the wiki OUTRIGHT states it IS another universe. Whats more, is that if it is another universe, it cant be another dimension, because those are two contradictory things.

A universe is made up of multiple dimensions. Fluidic space is a dimension. The Mirror Universe is a universe, with its own dimensions.

You are both right, the mirror universe is a parallel universe, but it's also self contained in a dimension of our universe as opposed to an independent parallel universe like an anti-matter universe.

that's why they Terrans use a multidimensional transporter and interdimensional rifts to travel between their universe and ours.
    Post edited by bioixi on
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Um, yeah.... there is NOTHING in canon to suggest that the Prophets exist outside the universe. Outside time, yes, but not outside the universe.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    just one obvious question, since when does bajor use human english for its own bars and holosuites in its advertising?
    bajoran script: http://en.memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Bajoran_language. maybe its just me, but it should be in bajoran script instead.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    just one obvious question, since when does bajor use human english for its own bars and holosuites in its advertising?
    Since it was conquered by the TERRAN empire??

even a conquered enemy retains its language,history and culture. so that doesnt fly.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    Since it was conquered by the TERRAN empire??

even a conquered enemy retains its language,history and culture. so that doesnt fly.

How about the fact that it is just a game and it makes it easy for us to understand it?

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Um, yeah.... there is NOTHING in canon to suggest that the Prophets exist outside the universe. Outside time, yes, but not outside the universe.

No, no. Never said anything about them "existing outside the universe".

What they're saying is the MU is in another Universe and has it's own prophets. What I'm saying is it's the same universe but another dimension, where there cannot be mirror prophets.
    Except nowhere in the TV shows is that ever confirmed. And, in fact, the wiki OUTRIGHT states it IS another universe. Whats more, is that if it is another universe, it cant be another dimension, because those are two contradictory things.

A universe is made up of multiple dimensions. Fluidic space is a dimension. The Mirror Universe is a universe, with its own dimensions.

Yes, I won't deny it specifically says "Mirror Universe" is it's own universe. And the creator back in the 60s said it was meant to be another Universe. But I reitterate the 60s. Because what was a "Mirror Universe" in those days evolved by scientific study and the correct modern term is "another Dimension".

Case in point. Click on the "parallel Universe" in that very source you cited.
    A parallel universe, also called an alternate universe, is a self-contained universe existing separate and parallel to the primary universe.

There are different types of parallel universes. Some are separate dimensional planes. Some of these planes are governed by completely different physical laws, while some duplicate the primary universe closely. Some parallel universes exist within subspace, while others exist as completely different quantum realities.

Care to look at the bold?
    The most frequent contact between the primary universe and a parallel universe on a different dimensional plane involved the so-called mirror universe, with the first reported crossover occurring in 2267. Passage between the universes was accomplished using a Tholian artificial interphasic rift, the transporter boosted by a power surge from a magnetic storm or the warp engines, a plasma injector leak during the passage through the Bajoran wormhole, and the multidimensional transporter device, which reconfigured transporters to allow passage without the need for a power boost. In the mirror universe it was believed by the Terran Empire that parallel dimensional planes do not exist, until the Tholians opened the rift in 2155 to the future of the primary universe. (TOS: "Mirror, Mirror", "The Tholian Web"; ENT: "In a Mirror, Darkly"; DS9: "Crossover", et.al.)

Interphasic rifts also contained a parallel universe completely empty and devoid of life between dimensional planes. The rift itself allowed interaction between the dimensional planes of at least the primary and the mirror universe by overlapping them for periods of time. (TOS: "The Tholian Web", ENT: "In a Mirror, Darkly")

So as you was quick to say I was in error, the Memory Alpha definition of Parallel Universe confirms what I originally stated, that the Mirror Universe is indeed isn't a real universe, but another dimension of the Prime Universe.

Much like how the new Star Trek is regarded as it's own universe, but it's temporal dimension that's paralleling the original. Which if you think about it its like how you have different spectral wavelengths. You see it different ways, but it's all just light.

Furthermore:
    The Prophets, while identifying themselves as being "of Bajor", were a non-corporeal extra-dimensional race known to reside in the realm known as the Celestial Temple. The Prophets had the ability to foresee all the consequences of their actions and did not conceive their existence in terms of linear time. The portal to the primary universe was the artificial wormhole. Humans in this dimension had the ability to relive any past event of their lives in the form of subjective or shared visions. (DS9: "Emissary")

So there you have it, the wormhole aliens are interdimensional that exist between dimensions, and the Mirror Universe is another dimension. So therefore there cannot be any Mirror Universe Prophets.
    No, you simply make so may fallacies and incorrect statements that anyone replying to you basically have to contradict every point you make.

But anyways, such behavior is not unheard of in Star Trek, which was often known for its cartoony plots and characters.

Oh, how gentlemenly correcting my fallacies and errors. I was beginning to get the impression you was stalking me in following me from thread to thread conducting such noble actions.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited September 2015

No, no. Never said anything about them "existing outside the universe".

What they're saying is the MU is in another Universe and has it's own prophets. What I'm saying is it's the same universe but another dimension, where there cannot be mirror prophets.

Yes, I won't deny it specifically says "Mirror Universe" is it's own universe. And the creator back in the 60s said it was meant to be another Universe. But I reitterate the 60s. Because what was a "Mirror Universe" in those days evolved by scientific study and the correct modern term is "another Dimension".

Case in point. Click on the "parallel Universe" in that very source you cited.
    A parallel universe, also called an alternate universe, is a self-contained universe existing separate and parallel to the primary universe.

There are different types of parallel universes. Some are separate dimensional planes. Some of these planes are governed by completely different physical laws, while some duplicate the primary universe closely. Some parallel universes exist within subspace, while others exist as completely different quantum realities.
    Care to look at the bold?
    The most frequent contact between the primary universe and a parallel universe on a different dimensional plane involved the so-called mirror universe, with the first reported crossover occurring in 2267. Passage between the universes was accomplished using a Tholian artificial interphasic rift, the transporter boosted by a power surge from a magnetic storm or the warp engines, a plasma injector leak during the passage through the Bajoran wormhole, and the multidimensional transporter device, which reconfigured transporters to allow passage without the need for a power boost. In the mirror universe it was believed by the Terran Empire that parallel dimensional planes do not exist, until the Tholians opened the rift in 2155 to the future of the primary universe. (TOS: "Mirror, Mirror", "The Tholian Web"; ENT: "In a Mirror, Darkly"; DS9: "Crossover", et.al.)

Interphasic rifts also contained a parallel universe completely empty and devoid of life between dimensional planes. The rift itself allowed interaction between the dimensional planes of at least the primary and the mirror universe by overlapping them for periods of time. (TOS: "The Tholian Web", ENT: "In a Mirror, Darkly")
    So as you was quick to say I was in error, the Memory Alpha definition of Parallel Universe confirms what I originally stated, that the Mirror Universe is indeed isn't a real universe, but another dimension of the Prime Universe.

Much like how the new Star Trek is regarded as it's own universe, but it's temporal dimension that's paralleling the original. Which if you think about it its like how you have different spectral wavelengths. You see it different ways, but it's all just light.

Furthermore:
    The Prophets, while identifying themselves as being "of Bajor", were a non-corporeal extra-dimensional race known to reside in the realm known as the Celestial Temple. The Prophets had the ability to foresee all the consequences of their actions and did not conceive their existence in terms of linear time. The portal to the primary universe was the artificial wormhole. Humans in this dimension had the ability to relive any past event of their lives in the form of subjective or shared visions. (DS9: "Emissary")
    So there you have it, the wormhole aliens are interdimensional that exist between dimensions, and the Mirror Universe is another dimension. So therefore there cannot be any Mirror Universe Prophets.
    Yeah, I don't buy that. Your argument hinges on making a distinction between terms that did not have proper definitions in the TV show. Also your argument does not account for the fact that multiple parallel realities/dimensions/universes exist that are not the Mirror. Or are you going to try to say that Anti-Lazarus was really Mirror!Lazarus?

While it is conceivable that the Mirror may be a special alternate universe, you didn't really demonstrate that it is canon. Furthermore, the real crux of the argument is whether the Prophets in the prime universe are the exact same beings that are seen in the Mirror universe. You only argument to try and support that is conjecture.

Also....
    Ronald D. Moore commented, "The intention was that there were Orbs on the other side, but they had been lost or destroyed or something and that they had passed into legend for the Mirror Bajorans."
    THIS is why a Bajoran from the Mirror tried to steal an Orb. NOT because there was only one set of orbs split between the two universes. (In STO there are separate sets in both.)

Actually.... have the Prophets ever actually shown anyone anything in a vision about the Mirror(novels don't count)? The most direct interaction I can think of was when a ship accidentally went to the Mirror when trying to transit the Celestial Temple. But that wasn't actually the doing of the Prophets.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,762 Arc User
    Time to bring in Mirror Kai Winn
    I like this idea. A decrepid old lady who can barely move as the hero of Bajor.
    farshore wrote: »
    I thought the original point to the Mirrorverse was to show that only humans were mirrors. If there's one Mirror character that doesn't make a whole lot of sense it's Smiley, unless O'Brien is a true neutral character and thus has no opposite.

It just means that Prime O'Brien has some dark, dark secrets.