test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Coincidence Theatre presents: Parallels with a really obscure game.

Disclaimer: This thread is mean in jest and because I like seeing weird parallels, I don't think anyone at Cryptic is even aware this game exists let alone copied it. I mean, why would you want to?

I speak of a couple of similarities with Star Control 3. A terrible old game about 10 people and a guy called Steve actually played.
Specifically, of one set of aliens in it.
Servants of an ancient race of energy beings bent on destroying all sentient life in the galaxy.

Who appear in a vast fleet of grey pointy ships.

4827-star-control-3-dos-screenshot-the-final-battle-with-the-eternal.gif

STO_20150414101102.png

And are six eyed creatures with frowny scowls called Heralds.

latest?cb=20121203030525

CBr5K3cUIAA4z0n.png:large

Coincidence? Or MASSIVE RIPOFF SCANDAL?
Well, minor coincidence, obviously. Still, I can never shake the memory of Star Control 3 when I think of Iconian Heralds.. and it's a game best forgotten. Oh well.
But now all you have to see it too! HA.

Comments

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Massive rip-off and low-quality scandal. These people used time travel to see the story and creatures of Star Trek Online, and then traveled back to their own timeline to recreate the efforts - but failed to bring the advanced computer tech with them.

Temporal Investigations will arrive soon. No later than yesterday.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • davidsjonesdavidsjones Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    One of the 10 people (besides Steve) was an Iconian. This Iconian used advanced genetics to create thier Heralds bsed on the Heralds of the above mentioned game.
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    I kinda prefer the Star Control 3 ships honestly. Typical Cryptic, they can't even blatantly copy ideas right...​​
  • littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    The funny thing is Star Control 2 was a brilliant game. Okay, that's not really funny, but the points still stands.
    Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
    Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
    Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
    Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    Thank you for the laugh. Much appreciated!
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • f9thretxcf9thretxc Member Posts: 505 Arc User
    lizwei wrote: »
    Disclaimer: This thread is mean in jest and because I like seeing weird parallels, I don't think anyone at Cryptic is even aware this game exists let alone copied it. I mean, why would you want to?

I speak of a couple of similarities with Star Control 3. A terrible old game about 10 people and a guy called Steve actually played.

LOL, I had to laugh out, as my Name is Stephen, and yes, I played all 3 star Controls way back when. C-64 I believe.​​
    My mother always told me to walk away from a fight, The Marines taught me how.
  • tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    The Star Control games were hardly obscure, they were quite popular.
    /channel_join grind
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edalgo wrote: »
    And it also looks like they modeled the Iconians after the Drej from Titan AE!

No. No they did not.

Th Drej oozed cool, the Iconians ooze "why is there bit of black lips in their face, lol".

Also the Drej would have won the war XD
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    until the first time they ran into someone equipped with an energy siphon and absorbed them all into their ship's power reserves

i hear drej energy is particularly useful for terraforming purposes​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    until the first time they ran into someone equipped with an energy siphon and absorbed them all into their ship's power reserves

i hear drej energy is particularly useful for terraforming purposes​​
    Indeed. They managed to make a class-m planet out of random asteroids and giant chunks of ice with it!

I gotta say the Drej were an awesome race concept though.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    The Star Control games were hardly obscure, they were quite popular.

Star Control 2 was popular.
    Star Control 3 was so terrible the creators of SC2 publicly denounced it.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Indeed. They managed to make a class-m planet out of random asteroids and giant chunks of ice with it!

I gotta say the Drej were an awesome race concept though.

genesis did one better, though; it made a planet and a main sequence star out of a nebula, and that's not even solid matter

too bad genesis went and exploded later, but that's what happens when you use such an unstable element in the device​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.