test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Explain this cryptic - launcher phishing warnings

For the past three days i've had my antivirus telling me its blocking something that STO is doing every single time I run the launcher. It seems to be quite sure there is some phishing going on via the client. Keep in mind there are no viruses or anything else on this computer, its a fresh install of windows with literally nothing beyond windows, STO and an antivirus installed.

see for yourself:

2d5ms0.jpg

Comments

• ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    Never heard of false positives generated by the heuristic engine ?
    signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
  • zellkarrathzellkarrath Member Posts: 182 Arc User

Basically this.

My Kaspersky has been accusing Steam updates of being a Trojan for a while now. Anti virus programs typically trip up like this every so often, and detect legit programs for weird reasons. If you are really worried about it though, just send in a support ticket, or try to contact Kaspersky about it.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    You might want to uninstall Kaspersky and switch to something like MSE which is free.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/14/us-kaspersky-rivals-idUSKCN0QJ1CR20150814
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Well... The STO launcher is of course trying to "phish" your username and password for Star Trek Online so it can do devious things like log you into Star Trek Online and let you play the game.

Amusing that it's Kaspersky that is reporting the false positive - didn't I just read an article about how Kaspersky tried to trick rival company anti-virous software to report false positives and thus damage their reputation?​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • laferrari1laferrari1 Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    Gonna call it: #OSX
    I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    The problem here is, that you depend on a AV program....

You'd get much further in common sense, especially since what Mustrum is a confirmed case.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    You really want Cryptic to explain to you that your Anti-Virus is reporting a false positive?

The prompt gives you the instructions you need right there on the screen. Click the link, allow the application, and you're done.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    You might want to uninstall Kaspersky and switch to something like MSE which is free.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/08/14/us-kaspersky-rivals-idUSKCN0QJ1CR20150814
    I once heard of an AV update take a JPG that had been sitting on an HDD for YEARS, and declare it to be a virus..... yeah, I verify everything AV programs tell me they're cleaning off.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    ARC is full of bloat/spyware
    This has come up a lot since ARC was launched, and while the ARC team along with other players have said it doesn't, and it really doesn't. Official quote from Adam -
    pweadamanteus wrote: »
    <snip>
    Arc is not spyware or bloatware for those making that accusation. There are even other players who have checked out the Arc coding themselves and there is no spyware or bloatware associated with Arc.
    <snip>

Read the sticky next time.

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1159287/frequently-created-threads-f-c-t#latest
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    bioixi wrote: »
    This has come up a lot since ARC was launched, and while the ARC team along with other players have said it doesn't, and it really doesn't. Official quote from Adam -
    <snip>
    Arc is not spyware or bloatware for those making that accusation. There are even other players who have checked out the Arc coding themselves and there is no spyware or bloatware associated with Arc.
    <snip>

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1159287/frequently-created-threads-f-c-t#latest

It's not ARC that's triggering this--so it's not an FCT thing. I don't even have ARC on my system. I use Steam instead and Kaspersky pops up with this warning for me too.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,317 Arc User
    Do people still use Kaspersky ? What is your operating system? OS2 Warp?
    I don't think i have ever seen a positive review for Kaspersky.

But as others pointed out, it's a false positive. Arc is not spyware.​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • seansamurai1seansamurai1 Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    Me to, open through steam to. I just ignore it. And frankly I'll stick to Kaspersky as its still one of the least rescource intensive and Ive never had issues with it. Unlike all the others Ive tried.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    have you tried MSE? It works nicely for me.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    gulberat wrote: »
    <snip>
    <snip>

It's not ARC that's triggering this--so it's not an FCT thing. I don't even have ARC on my system. I use Steam instead and Kaspersky pops up with this warning for me too.

It's still the custom STO launcher.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    the problem here is you're using kasperksy... try avira free or hell purchase it but get rid of that TRIBBLE
    Every AV at one point gets a false positive, this is the first time its happened to me and again, Im not uninstalling a paid for item because some unknowns on the internet said it was bad.
    Frankly, my experience of it is totally opposite.
    AVG let me down.
    Norton let me down (multiple times)
    Symantec let me down multiple times.
    Plenty of free ones have not been all that great either, with limited updates, slow scans, slow response to a threat, or just outright refusing to remove an issue.
    Really, the whole pop up isnt even an issue, just click ok and continue. Thats not hard is it? No biggy?
    To also note, Kaspersky is still on the 4.5-5 star review train
  • zellkarrathzellkarrath Member Posts: 182 Arc User
    I'm not sure why people are getting this false positive either btw. I have Kaspersky, and it hasn't had any issues with my STO launcher yet.
    edited September 2015
    To also note, Kaspersky is still on the 4.5-5 star review train

You now reviews mean nothing right? Large companies pay for positive reviews and have lots of employees falsifying reviews, because bad publicity is worse than a bad product and good publicity is better that a good product.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    Every AV at one point gets a false positive, this is the first time its happened to me and again, Im not uninstalling a paid for item because some unknowns on the internet said it was bad.
    Frankly, my experience of it is totally opposite.
    AVG let me down.
    Norton let me down (multiple times)
    Symantec let me down multiple times.
    Plenty of free ones have not been all that great either, with limited updates, slow scans, slow response to a threat, or just outright refusing to remove an issue.
    Really, the whole pop up isnt even an issue, just click ok and continue. Thats not hard is it? No biggy?

try avira... updates are daily, sometimes 2 or 3 a day if theres been a recent surge in some new virus or such. Scan is quick and thorough, allows you you delete, ignore, or quarantine files that it flags. Even an 'always ignore' for files you KNOW are false positives.

norton and symantec are almost viruses in their own right anymore... not sure how they're still suckering people into paying for them. AVG has let down many.

for other things there's also malwarebytes and spybot search and destroy. (though ofc dont run multiple software of this type at once, but when being thorough on your system these 3 make a great trifecta)
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    I've been using Norton for almost a decade and have never had a problem.
    McAffee on the other hand disappointed me right out of the starting gate back in the early 2000's.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Of all the free Anti-Viruses I have tried, I have had the most success with 360 Internet Security. Most people haven't even heard of it, but it's a very powerful and full featured utility.

I used to service and repair PC's and the one I found to be the least effective was Avast by far. I can't tell you how many PC's I have had to clean because they had a fully updated Avast running and the system had 100+ malware/virus items.

AVG worked well for me too, but it got annoying because it keeps popping up asking me if I want to buy stuff, that was the only reason I moved away from it.

Even as good as 360 is for me though, it still detects Homeworld Remastered as a virus every time Steam tries to update it. It happens with everything from time to time.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    It's funny, everybody has their antivirus story. Product X never detected anything and the user claimed to have hundreds of infected objects on the PC, product Y broke everything out of the box, the whole computer was trashed and only product Z works at all.

The big tests and reviews, repeatedly, attest that basically all anti-virus solutions have about the same detection scores (only insignificant differences), only Windows Defender (Win 8-10 built in solution) seems to really lack behind. Other than that there's not much difference other than personal taste. I used Norton, Kaspersky, GData, Avira, Avast and a number of others and aside from GData which did not let you ignore findings but demanded to either quarantine or delete them (even if you knew it was a false positive) no product ever "disappointed" me - in the end I kept coming back to free solutions because they are free. Because I also know what to do to keep the system safe in the first place. If you are repeatedly and over and over dependant on an AV solution "saving" you, you are doing something wrong pig-23.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    <snip>
    <snip>

That particular accusation was particularly hilarious to me when it surfaced because, you know, thank goodness you didn't have any other software from PWE on your system! Wouldn't the game itself be the more likely way to get malware onto your system or collect personal data and send it to Bad Guys everywhere?

+1 heuristics getting it wrong sometimes.

As for me--not that anyone asked--MSE and MalwareBytes gets the job done, along with not always running in an Admin-capable account.

boldly-watched.png
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    For the past three days i've had my antivirus telling me its blocking something that STO is doing every single time I run the launcher. It seems to be quite sure there is some phishing going on via the client. Keep in mind there are no viruses or anything else on this computer, its a fresh install of windows with literally nothing beyond windows, STO and an antivirus installed.

see for yourself:

2d5ms0.jpg

False positive. It happens. Kaspersky has a web page to report those at http://newvirus.kaspersky.com/ (in fact I just sent in a report because I'm having the same issue).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • skrapnelskrapnel Member Posts: 75 Arc User

This, and Kaspersky especially is notorious for false positives.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    Best antivirus out there is common sense.

Follow a few basic rules and you will never need antivirus..

If you pay for it, they saw you coming.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    sunfrancks wrote: »

Because common sense totally defeats remote DNS spoofing and man-in-the-middle attacks. Because common sense averts CORS exploits.

Yeah...no.
    boldly-watched.png
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    jbmonroe wrote: »
    sunfrancks wrote: »

Because common sense totally defeats remote DNS spoofing and man-in-the-middle attacks. Because common sense averts CORS exploits.

Yeah...no.

No one said it should be your only defense... But 99.9999% of all viruses would probably have died in their infancy, if people had considered what that little dialouge said, before they blindly clicked "Accept".
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas