Install Arc

Torpedoes, why we dont use 'em and when we would

12346»

Comments

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,241 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    rmy1081 wrote: »
    “Is this on ISA or CCA?”
    Last time I looked the top torp boat for an Eng was 5th place in ISA and 1st place in CCA. With results like that I don’t see how someone can say torpedoes are severely lacking behind. Torpedo boats have problems but not to the point they are severely lacking.

For me my highest damage single weapon is mines and Kemocite makes up about 13% of my total damage. If you like I can upload a pic and graph that breaks down my weapon damage. As for my comment on pilots I am an Engineer so that’s what I compare myself to, other eng pilots. I don’t follow the tac pilots as closely as I know I will never beat them in DPS, just like they will never beat me in tank. Not really looked that closely into the DPS difference between a Tac torpedo boat, Sci torp boat and Eng torp boat. I only know in the Eng league, torpedo boats are holding their own against energy boats.

“And, are those records since Kemocite was introduced? Not that I'm saying Kemocite should be nerfed but if most of the damage is coming from kemocite, it would seem that kemocite is the DPS and not the torpedo.”
    No idea as I didn’t followed the records until recently (last few weeks). Around last XP bonus weekend I ran out of things to do so decided to see how far I could push my DPS to give me something to do in game. In my case my DPS records are after Kemocite has been introduced but that’s not because of Kemocite. I only started to play with high end DPS setups around when the research lab consoles came out in my fleet. Without Kemocite I would still be well over 75k DPS, perhaps more once I upgrade my gear.

“I've ran a tac and sci torpedo boat in the past and did well enough, but I've never felt that there's a synergy with engineers and torpedoes. I could be wrong.”
    Concentrate firepower is a really good torpedo power that is mostly only found on cruiser themed ships which being an Eng pilot are the type of ships I go for. We can also use the new research lab console so that Eng team, EptS, Aux to stu all boost damage. That and with the 4/4 weapon layout cruisers can fly 2 torps, 2 mines, 2, DBB, 2 360beams with the Command spec that means energy weapons lower target kinetic resistance.

“but when someone asks for DPS help in the channels they usually say to ditch the torpedo.”
    They also tell me to ditch mines and that my torpedo of choice is rubbish. But my score with mines and the advanced radiant torpedo is over 20k dps higher than my other builds. Yet many in the 10k dps channel call those two weapons useless! Try asking when you get on later what people think of the advanced radiant torpedo or mines then take a look at my top scores in the league table. The advice some of them give doesn't match up with the results in the league table.

EDIT: I also get more damage from Torpedo High Yield 1, then Torpedo spread 3. Granted that's due to Concentrate firepower but some of the DPS channel still say high yield 1 is rubbish and to focus on spread 3.
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    In the Science table:

ISA
    • 1st 112k - Beam Boat
    • 2nd 92k - Beam + Torp
    • 3rd 85k - Beam + Mine
    • 4th 84k - Torp + Exotic
    • 5th 80k - Torp + Exotic

Hehe haven't looked at the tables in a while. They make me feel inadequate. :disappointed:
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    Thanks for the responses. It really helps. :)
    pottsey5g wrote: »

“I've ran a tac and sci torpedo boat in the past and did well enough, but I've never felt that there's a synergy with engineers and torpedoes. I could be wrong.”
    Concentrate firepower is a really good torpedo power that is mostly only found on cruiser themed ships which being an Eng pilot are the type of ships I go for. We can also use the new research lab console so that Eng team, EptS, Aux to stu all boost damage. That and with the 4/4 weapon layout cruisers can fly 2 torps, 2 mines, 2, DBB, 2 360beams with the Command spec that means energy weapons lower target kinetic resistance.

1) I'll have to try that out. I have a similar build on my sci command cruiser but with 3 tetryon DBBs, 1 torpedo, 3 360 beams in the back (1 tetryon, 1 antichronoton, 1 KCB), and the web mine using the nukara weapon set and the antichronoton set. It's a really inexpensive build.

2) That's ship powers and not captain powers. I could easily put a tac or a sci captain in that ship and do a bit more dps because of buffs/debuffs.
  • uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    EDIT: I also get more damage from Torpedo High Yield 1, then Torpedo spread 3. Granted that's due to Concentrate firepower but some of the DPS channel still say high yield 1 is rubbish and to focus on spread 3.

That might also have to do with the torpedo you're using. I get best HY results with particle emission and enhanced bio torps and best TS results with neutronic and gravimetric. I can use TS with PEP and enhanced bio, and HY with neutronic and gravimetric, but it's not optimal. I don't know about vanilla torpedoes like photon or quantum, nor about the radiant quantum.

HY and TS aren't working correctly though. There have been test results that showed HY1 better than HY3 if a single torpedo crits, which makes no sense. There are broken procs with TS.