test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STILL crashing on the Out in the Cold mission

Reported this in the beginning of the year, but can't find the old thread.

Basically: With my romulan captain, During the mine combat (on Zafira or how it's spelled) part of the mission (Out in the Cold) the game randomly crashes in random places. Moving through the mine, being in combat, or just standing still makes no difference. It just crashes when inside that mine and it's impossible to complete the mission.

Tried switching between DirectX 9, 10 and 11, but it makes no difference other than DX9 having drastically higher GPU load and lower framerate. Full screen / windowed / borderless, also makes no difference.

This is a location specific problem as nothing else (except for some pointless cutscenes) in the game makes my client crash. I have been able to do this mission in the past on other captains (human/vulcan/trill), but after you released the Delta Quadrant this mission has been broken and unplayable.

It appears to be a problem with lack of proper error handling and as far as I can tell, something is supposed to trigger while in the mine and instead crashes the client.

Comments

• Options
    bobsled624bobsled624 Member Posts: 267 Bug Hunter
    I can confirm this crash issue.

PC Specs;

Processor CPU: AMD FX6300 4.10Ghz 6 Core
    CPU Cooling: AMD Original Heatsink & Fan
    Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz (8GBx1)
    Motherboard: Asus M5A97 Plus
    Hard Disk 1: 1 Terabyte Hybrid with SSD Technology
    Optical Drive: 24X DVD Rewriter
    Video Card: AMD Radeon HD R9 280 3GB
    Sound Card: Realtek 8 Channel HD Audio
    Power Supply: Integrator 500 Watt 80+ Certified
    Operating System: Windows 10 Standard 64 Bit
    Keyboard: Roccat Arvo compact gaming Keyboard
    Mouse: Roccat LUA Tri-button Gaming mouse

This map is causing me multiple random CTD issues and is making the mission nigh unplayable.

Captain Mark Shranz | bIng 'aj Ro'Tal | erei'Riov Koval tr'Liun

"Your fun is not wrong" -Jeremy Randal@borticuscryptic

Proud Member of the Operational Support (Bug Hunter) Team
  • Options
    willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    I finished it recently . But it always crashed after i killed 7/8 breen groups. Had no idea why. then i saw that there was a console nearby (you have to deativate those three forcefield generators or transport inhibitors or whatever they are) So in the missions that crashed i always killed the first breen group in the room (the las room,with 2 consoles and 2 groops) then moved to kill the second group and the game crashed.

Now i killed the first group, deactivated the console, killed the second group and deactivated the console there too and could finish the mission.

You should check where the game is crashing, are there any consoles that you need to deactivate first before moving along? Or DID you deactivate any consoles but you had to kill a goup of breen first.

Looks like you have to do everything in the right order or the mission crashes. unfortunately there is no way to know what the right order is.

• Options
    sagison1sagison1 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    Zaria crashing for me as well, repeatedly. I'll pile on here (am also in a separate thread complaining with same issue). My latest CTD ID is 44392868. For me, game crashes after I enter the last room, regardless of the order in which I kill the Breen groups or activate consoles. It's game breaking, as I cannot progress. Very frustrating, especially since this issue has been going for so long.
  • Options
    renebrehmer#9819 renebrehmer Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I've yet to find a pattern in the crashes. I know the consoles are there, but I get crashing in the hallways between rooms as well. I thought at first it was the freeze effects that caused it, but the Breen guys don't even always use the freeze guns, so it can't be that.

I've also tried doing it without my Kobali boff, but that made no difference whatsoever.

I have another captain to run through this mine in a few days, so I'd rather like to see it fixed. Or... at the very least make it skippable. That mission IIRC don't really do anything for the story anyway.

But, since I forgot to list my system specs (even though there's no indication of it being hardware related):

CPU: AMD FX8350 4 GHz 8 Core (running 4.1 GHz @ 1.25 V)
    Cooled with CoolerMaster Hyper EVO 212 super silent.
    RAM: 16 GB DDR3-1600 (4x4 GB) Kingston HyperX Genesis
    MB: MSI 990FXA-GD80 (AMD FX990A chipset)
    HDD: WD Caviar Black 640 GB (old, but solid), WD Caviar SE 320 GB (even older), Seagate Barracuda ST2000 2 TB (not very old, but not very good)
    Optical: LG (HL) 24x multi-format DVD+/-RW
    Video: Asus Geforce GTX960 2 GB STRIX (DCOC2) - OC'ed with the big fat copper cooler.
    Audio: mobo built-in Realtek HD THX 8.1
    PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 620 W (55 A PCI channel)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (a black silent monolith, recommended for anyone looking for a sleek and clean computer)
    KB: MS Comfort Curve
    Mouse: Logitech Performance MX (2nd gen)

Load and temp wise my computer is bored playing STO. Very few parts of the game are heavy enough that the graphics card needs to turn on the fans. I can't name any other semi modern 3D game capable of high fps at 23% load.

EDIT: Missed a line