test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dilithium and Upgrade costs too expensive

Old players should have no problems farming Dillx but new players probably have problems with the reduced dilly we get from missions/the increased difficulty.

Anyway we are limited to less than 9000 refined Dilly per day Thats not enough unless we buy a lot of Dilly with Zen we have to buy with RL money . Not the purpose of f2p is it?.

A simple 3-4 piece Rep. system space set will take all the Dilly i can refine in 12-16 days if i have enough to refine 8000 a day. Thats only Mk XII

Upgrading that will probably cost 2-3 times that much or more if i want to get it to UR/Epic. And some Items only get the best mods for good combinations at UR/Epic
one XII ground set for 27000 + upgrading.

Fleets also need Dilithium, some projects need several 100k Dilly.

And every reward we get, like now for the crystalline event or from finishing Rep. systems, is Unrefined.

So i'd say

1: Raise the refining cap. With all the things we need Dilly for, the limit of 8000 we still have from pre-DR isn't enough

2: Increase the amount of TP from Upgrades. From 12500 to 25000 or 37500. Thats not too much, just realistic regarding the costs

3: Allow us to craft or buy (at the Academy?) a limited amount of upgrades that grant a 100% rarity increase. Limited, as i said, to maybe 1-2 a week or so. So not everyone will run around in full-epic gear (so elitists don't have to be afraid that poor players can get good gear too [sarcasm].) i wouldn't mind if those require 5 or even 10 salvaged Techs or rare materials or 10k dilly. (not all three of those obviously). They can be that expensive as long as the are not as espensive as the ludicrous amount of Dilly and TP we need now for one rarity upgrade

4: Fleet projects should focus more on fleet marks instead of Dilly and Doffs

5: Rewards should be refined Dilly no matter if its Rep. mark conversion, Events, reaching T5 in rep. systems...

That won't hurt anyone, or only very few but will increase the gamepay exerience /fun of many Players. And can that be a bad thing?

Comments

• Options
    captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    Anyway we are limited to less than 9000 refined Dilly per day Thats not enough unless we buy a lot of Dilly with Zen we have to buy with RL money .

Funny how that works, huh? Cryptic doesn't care if you feel you're getting your gear upgraded at a reasonable pace, they only care about you giving them money. In fact, in that sense, the longer it takes the better, in their view.

I'm not meaning to be rude, just saying that Cryptic doesn't care and so it isn't going to change.
  • Options
    scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    thats the reason why I omly play 3 toons now which i do upgrades on... and not even my main is on full epic yet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    Anyway we are limited to less than 9000 refined Dilly per day Thats not enough unless we buy a lot of Dilly with Zen we have to buy with RL money . Not the purpose of f2p is it?.

That is the purpose of F2P, actually.

You can spend money to make things go faster (getting more Dil quicker by buying it), but everyone can get to the same value in the end.​​
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    In a minute, a certain player who likes to repeat himself epicly, and likes ferengis will be here and claim they are too cheap...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    There is a lot of ignorance in the first 3 posts. You guys simply know nothing. Your posts are typical knee jerk reactions from people that that don't understand how the system works and how to take advantage of it.

OP, there already is no refinement cap. That's right. You can get as much dilithium as you want if you simply create more and more toons. This goes for captainanimal3 as well. Really? That's why you only play 3 toons? Ever heard of dilithium slave toons?
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    Honestly I haven't had much cause to complain about the cost of upgrading items... until I try to upgrade something past MK X, then the costs get to be noticably more expensive.

That comes from the extremely low tech points required to upgrade MK I to MK II, but as MK grade increases the cost to upgrade multiplies, x2 each mk grade, after MK X it starts to get noticable. And after MK XII it starts to get painful.

I'd be cool with a modest increase to tech points, 33% - 50% increase would make upgrading items to XIV less painful.

What really frosts my exhaust port is the rarity upgrade chances and the random [Mod] you're likely to get and not want.

It's most annoying to spend a small fortune in crafting, then upgrading that perfect beam array only for it to get an [Acc] mod on the MK XII upgrade! :s

And yeah, the dilithium cap is fine.

You know that the effective 'account cap' is 414,000 dilithium/day?

(That's the max of 46 characters @ 9000/day)
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I only use the upgrade system to get a higher Mark on my gear. Not to get them into Epic, Gold, etc. last time I upgraded it as around 40-60k for my ship gear. From Mk10 to Mk11. I will hit it again once I get up to that amount again. Which is soon, as I'm finishing up another Rep. So then I will be at Mk12. This is how I been using the system and it works nice for me.

Another way I used it. Was to build a rifle I wanted and didn't have. Built a low level (Mk8) so it would be Epic and nice stats. Then upgraded it to Mk12. So I would have a sweet rifle to match my other ground weapons.

Making the Dil Refine cap higher won't solve nothing. Only really mess up the system. Its there for a reason. So at least most people can use it. Not everyone has Dil like that, I rarely hit the cap.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    What a novel idea!!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited August 2015
    farmallm wrote: »
    Making the Dil Refine cap higher won't solve nothing. Only really mess up the system. Its there for a reason. So at least most people can use it. Not everyone has Dil like that, I rarely hit the cap.

Has anyone stopped to think what effect raising the cap will have on the zen exchange? There are people screaming that it's too high as it is now. But by all means let people like myself refine more of the ore that we have stock piled and watch the exchange spiral onward and upwards. All that will end up happening, is the void between certain elements of the player base will grow wider. And it'll simply result in more complaining in game and on the forums.
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• Options
    tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    I'm a community-minded individual, so I can't agree with raising the daily refine cap or reducing the size of fleet or item upgrade dilithium sinks.

Raising the daily refine cap would be bad for the in-game economy, the daily influx of new refined dilithiums would simply increase, effectively devaluing dilithiums. Reducing the effectiveness of some of the larger dilithium sinks, by lowering the total cost of a dilithium-based item upgrade path or reducing the dilithium cost of fleet projects, would simply reduce the Casual player's reliance on other people's dilithiums.

Combine these two, and it would be very bad, indeed. It'd effectively ruin the players-helping-players balance of STO's F2P economy model and turn dilithiums into a worthlessly inflated currency with minimal use.
    /channel_join grind
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    It's F2P, so there are limits on refinement. Those limits also keep inflation at bay, since there are power farmers sitting on mountains of unrefined dil and marks.

If you "need" upgrades "now!" because "reasons!!" you can add farming alts or pay $5 in zen for 110,000 dil on the dil exchange.
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    As others have said, raising the dilithium refining cap is a terrible idea. Dilithium can only be exchanged for Zen for reasonable rates because of this cap, so raising the cap would only widen the gap between free and paying players. As a free player, I most definitely don't feel like getting cast down even further.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    aesica wrote: »
    As others have said, raising the dilithium refining cap is a terrible idea. Dilithium can only be exchanged for Zen for reasonable rates because of this cap, so raising the cap would only widen the gap between free and paying players. As a free player, I most definitely don't feel like getting cast down even further.
    There isn't really much of a gap between paying and non-paying players on the lower end of the economy scale. If anything, non-paying players are more likely to be higher up because they generally have more experience with grinds that involve minimizing consumption while accommodating the demands of paying players who wish to consume, consume, consume.

The real gap is between those who are and those who are not established players, as their consumption rates are usually quite different. This leads to the cliche situation where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
    /channel_join grind
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    If upgrading is too expensive, then don't upgrade anything. Game's too effin' easy as it is.
  • Options
    sqwished wrote: »
    Has anyone stopped to think what effect raising the cap will have on the zen exchange?

One of the benefits of not using that Dil-exchange: Not having to worry about such trival matters :)
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
  • Options
    anazonda wrote: »
    Has anyone stopped to think what effect raising the cap will have on the zen exchange?

One of the benefits of not using that Dil-exchange: Not having to worry about such trival matters :)
    There are a considerable number of players who do not "bother" with the dilithium exchange (and sometimes even the EC-based exchange) because, frankly, it intimidates them. Fear, and the perception of risk, is a powerful motivator for some people to opt-out of the economic mini-game and remain poor.
    /channel_join grind
  • Options

There are a considerable number of players who do not "bother" with the dilithium exchange (and sometimes even the EC-based exchange) because, frankly, it intimidates them. Fear, and the perception of risk, is a powerful motivator for some people to opt-out of the economic mini-game and remain poor.

You keep telling yourself that kiddo.
  • Options

You keep telling yourself that kiddo.

Why would I have to say that to myself? It's what they say in open chat, son.
    /channel_join grind
  • Options
    claudiusdkclaudiusdk Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    With all the things that cost Dil, and how few options there is to farm it. And limits on how much can be refined daily.
    Yeah, dil prices do need to be lowered in some areas.

Fleet projects, fleet upgrades, fleet ship and ground gear, rep stores, rep gear projects, fleet ships, ship upgrades... to name a few things that cost dil.
    And there will only be more and more things that cost dil getting added with each large update.

Heck, why do the featured starbase projects even cost so much dil? Don't get me wrong, I love the visual upgrades. But thats all it is to most of them.. a minor visual upgrade. (inb4 "HURR THEN DON'T BUY THEM!" No, just shut up and buzz off, this isn't a topic about "why even buy it then", its about the cost.)

So yeah. Lower the Dil costs a bit here and there please. Atleast to even it out a bit. Would be helpful for the typical fleets.
    "Please, Captain, not in front of the Klingons."
    Spock to Kirk, as Kirk is about to hug him.
    Star Trek V: "The Final Frontier"
  • Options
    claudiusdk wrote: »
    With all the things that cost Dil, and how few options there is to farm it. And limits on how much can be refined daily.
    Yeah, dil prices do need to be lowered in some areas.

Fleet projects, fleet upgrades, fleet ship and ground gear, rep stores, rep gear projects, fleet ships, ship upgrades... to name a few things that cost dil.
    And there will only be more and more things that cost dil getting added with each large update.

Heck, why do the featured starbase projects even cost so much dil? Don't get me wrong, I love the visual upgrades. But thats all it is to most of them.. a minor visual upgrade. (inb4 "HURR THEN DON'T BUY THEM!" No, just shut up and buzz off, this isn't a topic about "why even buy it then", its about the cost.)

So yeah. Lower the Dil costs a bit here and there please. Atleast to even it out a bit. Would be helpful for the typical fleets.
    It seems like you may be underestimating the quantity of existing dilithiums people already have in-game, how many new dilithiums are being refined every day, and the implications of the the dilithium exchange in its ability for players to help other players by trading their grind time for zens. If STO were a single player game instead of an MMO, and didn't feature any players-helping-players system, I would agree the system's dilithium prices for things would be a bit unreasonable. It is an MMO, however, and players have the ability to rely upon other players to spend their grind time for the benefit of the zen holders. Making it easier for players to acquire all the dilithiums they need for personal consumption, by lowering the costs of things, would severely damage, if not destroy, this relationship between players and reduce the game's revenues.
    /channel_join grind
  • Options
    happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    f2pdrakron wrote: »
    Its pretty clear those people dont think much, they are incredible shortsighted to not call them what would be a violation of the board rules, dont you think its interesting how instead of asking for a cost reduction on Rep gear they go on about the Dilithium cap, its quite clear what they want is not easier to obtain gear (after all, we could just slice 25% of all Dilithium costs and rewards and maintain the cap that would have a far less negative impact that a 25% increase on the chap) but they just want to raise their refine Dilithium output while thinking that would have no changes on the economy since they are very special people.

0_o

Supply and demand. It's an X/Y axis.

If you reduce the dilithium prices by 25% people need 25% less dilithium. That means demand is lowered. That means more people have dilithium to sell on the Exchange, and since people need less dilithium they are less likely to sell zen for it at a competitive rate.

The suggestion of raising the cap increases supply, but doesn't change demand thereby resulting in a supply surplus. Your suggestion doesn't change supply, but decreases demand resulting in a supply surplus.

Either way you're going to see a similar impact on the equilibrium.
  • Options
    If the goal of reducing the dilithium cost of things is to make it so people can "finish" and no longer use the sink (e.g., completely upgrading everything they own), there will be fallout.
    /channel_join grind
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    While your second option is actually valid, your first is totally besides the point. If they increase the refinement rate, sooner or later they would adapt prices too, so nothing would be gained ;)​​
  • Options
    There isn't really much of a gap between paying and non-paying players on the lower end of the economy scale. If anything, non-paying players are more likely to be higher up because they generally have more experience with grinds that involve minimizing consumption while accommodating the demands of paying players who wish to consume, consume, consume.

The real gap is between those who are and those who are not established players, as their consumption rates are usually quite different. This leads to the cliche situation where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
    I know. My point is that, by raising the dil cap, us non-paying players won't be able to get as much for our dilithium because dilithium will be worth less than it currently is. It would be harder for the "rich to get richer" unless said wealth involves buying Zen in bulk.
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    I am all for raising the cap. I am tired of trading my zen for 250 dil or below, I want 500 dil per 1 Zen.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    new players don't need to upgrade anything, they pick up higher level gear as they advance through the levels.
    once they reach lv60 and if they wait until they have plenty of high level gear mk11 rare/v.rare & mk12 rare/v.rare they have picked up in game drops and rewards and if they have saved any dilithium they have been rewarded, have completed all the reputations and have and taken part in events like the current CCE event that pays 64k total dil over the entire 3 weeks it runs they should have no problem gradually upgrading what they need to mk14 rare/v.rare keeping the upgrade costs to a minimum while still having gear that is perfectly adequate and they wont need to spend any money to upgrade anything.

it just takes time and patience.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    cidjack wrote: »
    I am all for raising the cap. I am tired of trading my zen for 250 dil or below, I want 500 dil per 1 Zen.
    And this is exactly why we need the cap where it is. If not lower. :)
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I'm still dreaming of cashing out, now having surpassed 10 million refined. The research labs are coming slowly. I'm in 4 different large fleets and only 1 is progressing at top speed. However, I still believe there will be a very small window to cash out when a mass of players hit T3 and see the dilithium pricetag for the extra traits. Will we break 200? I don't know. I'm selling half my supply at around 210 and washing my hands of it. After the window closes I think we are off to infinity and beyond.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."