test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ships of the Line 2016 Calendar now available, including some STO related content.

Comments

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    "STO-Related", as in that one dude's awful looking bucket of a ship with the fugly neck and glued on engineering section and pinched-sphincter deflector that he was delusional enough to think was Enterprise-F material, and got butthurt when few people on deviantart/Trekbbs shared his love for every single horrible aspect of it.
    Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel about the ship...

For everyone else: STO-related also seems to be this:
    Star%2BTrek%2BShips%2Bof%2Bthe%2BLine%2B2016%2Bcalendar%2BThomas%2BRaube%2BA%2Bnew%2BHome%2Bfor%2Bthe%2BRhiannsu.jpg
    As it is a fleet of Romulan ships approaching New Romulus, their new home.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    As it is a fleet of Romulan ships approaching New Romulus, their new home.

Funny, I thought that could be any planet.
    Me too, but the description states it is New Romulus.​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    As it is a fleet of Romulan ships approaching New Romulus, their new home.

Funny, I thought that could be any planet.
    Me too, but the description states it is New Romulus.​​

The description actually says it is Rator III. New Romulus has a purple hue, not greenish.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    Ordered mine over the weekend.
    I've got them all tucked away, plus both of the books.
    LUV um!
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    captainchaos66captainchaos66 Member Posts: 409 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I have to say that I kinda like #2. Anyone know what class that is? or if there are more pictures of it? I would like to see that as a t6 Sovereign skin. From that one picture it looks like a pretty sexy ship.

EDIT: Its the Insignia class. I've seen threads requesting this ship before,, VERY nice!
    Fleet Admiral In charge of Bacon
    Fighting 5th Attack Squadron
    The Devils Henchman
  • Options
    sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    I'd kinda dig the Insignia class in-game at some point. It'd make a neat T6 starcruiser, I think. It already has a general resemblance to the T5 ones. Probably would have to jump through the same legal hoops with Mark Kingsworth as they did with Mark Rademaker though.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    "STO-Related", as in that one dude's awful looking bucket of a ship with the fugly neck and glued on engineering section and pinched-sphincter deflector that he was delusional enough to think was Enterprise-F material, and got butthurt when few people on deviantart/Trekbbs shared his love for every single horrible aspect of it.
    To be fair, I think I'd be pretty 'butthurt' if I put time and effort into designing a ship, only to have my efforts belittled and my work insulted.
    And what is more, I've seen worse - a LOT worse. I mean, the old (sci-fi meshes) Excalibur class, for example - nothing more than an fat, bloated, Sovereign class with straight nacelle pylons. And the Insignia class (ironically featured in the calendar) looks like a pizza. But they don't seem to be as ridiculed as that particular Enterprise-F design was.

Yeah, the person who won really got reamed by the vocal trolls of the STO community back them as they were extolling the virtures of Fuzzym0dem's entry at the end of the "Design the Next Enterprise for STO" contest...oh, wait...
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    I'm going to presume that the folks who don't understand the phrase 'ships of the line' are the same folks who are completely clueless about the meaning of flagship. The former does not exist anywhere in Star Trek or in STO.
  • Options
    fuzzym0demfuzzym0dem Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel about the ship...
    ​​

I assume he knows I'm the one who designed it.
    To be fair, I think I'd be pretty 'butthurt' if I put time and effort into designing a ship, only to have my efforts belittled and my work insulted.
    And what is more, I've seen worse - a LOT worse. I mean, the old (sci-fi meshes) Excalibur class, for example - nothing more than an fat, bloated, Sovereign class with straight nacelle pylons. And the Insignia class (ironically featured in the calendar) looks like a pizza. But they don't seem to be as ridiculed as that particular Enterprise-F design was.

I sulked for a while, yeah. After solidly winning the fan vote I really expected to make the top judges 25. I made an effort not to be a jerk about it though, but couldn't control the reactions of some of my more... colorful supporters.

Having since been credited with inspiring the design of the Command Cruisers and making it onto the calendar feels pretty good though. CBS paying me for the design was also nice. The half a million hits on youtube is cool, and getting Andrew Probert's feedback was amazing, and I've since been able to get him to critique some of my other designs. (Contrasting his advice with Chris Roberts' advice on the same design is fascinating, as they come from very different schools of thought, and I have equal respect for both.)

So I think it was well worth it in the long run.

Yeah, the person who won really got reamed by the vocal trolls of the STO community back them as they were extolling the virtures of Fuzzym0dem's entry at the end of the "Design the Next Enterprise for STO" contest...oh, wait...

I've always felt a bit bad for Adam Ilhe, who won the contest, given the reception his design received from some corners. You can't make everyone happy all the time, and that's especially true for Trekkies, as our perception is heavily colored by which series and films we grew up with.

If you are interested, there is a bunch more material on my design here. Bridge layout, saucer separation, turn table animations and such.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,182 Community Moderator
    Wait... Chris Roberts as in... Wing Commander?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Apparently so. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,182 Community Moderator
    Holy... buckets.

I LOVE WING COMMANDER! I wish we'd get a new game...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Holy... buckets.

Your wish is granted, or will be soon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJJ9TcGxhNY

Star Citizen is the spiritual successor to Wing Commander/Privateer/Starlancer/Freelancer.

Currently in alpha. The first single player campaign (of 3) is next year, and multiplayer hopefully a year later.

It's an indie game, and holds the world record for highest amount of crowd funding with 80+million dollars and climbing.

I had the privilege of working with Chris Roberts and the Star Citizen team as part of an internship/spaceship design reality TV show.

It's going to be the best game you've ever played, and I say that completely earnestly.
  • Options
    Got the Calendar today along with the 2016 TOS one.
    Both very nice!
    B)
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited August 2015

I liked it. Cryptic seemed to like it too; they made the command cruisers look real close to it.

Now Fuzzy's Star Citizen ship... I wasn't a fan of that. I'm really not a fan of asymmetry.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    fuzzym0dem wrote: »
    Holy... buckets.

Your wish is granted, or will be soon.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJJ9TcGxhNY

Star Citizen is the spiritual successor to Wing Commander/Privateer/Starlancer/Freelancer.

Currently in alpha. The first single player campaign (of 3) is next year, and multiplayer hopefully a year later.

It's an indie game, and holds the world record for highest amount of crowd funding with 80+million dollars and climbing.

I had the privilege of working with Chris Roberts and the Star Citizen team as part of an internship/spaceship design reality TV show.

It's going to be the best game you've ever played, and I say that completely earnestly.

I thought it was supposed to be available this year?

All that money and they couldn't release it on its original schedule?

Makes me glad I didn't take that bait.
  • Options
    I'm well aware of Star Citizen. I just don't know if it will be F2P friendly or not considering my financial situation.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I'm well aware of Star Citizen. I just don't know if it will be F2P friendly or not considering my financial situation.

It's already a massive PTW game, don't count on it being F2P.
  • Options
    daveyny wrote: »

It's already a massive PTW game, don't count on it being F2P.

You can play multi-player for $10 one time cost with no monthly fee, as long as you don't mind working on someone else's crew and saving up game credits for a ship of your own. Everything will be purchasable in game.

And yes, ambitious games take a lot of time. I personally hope they don't rush.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Funny, I recall quite a bit of support for the Fuzzyprise. It's a matter of record that it had enough fans to secure the popular vote, so it's hard for me to see how anyone can say it was only a "few" people.

I for one rather like it. It's a configuration I'd never seen before, it's different, but still strikes the iconic cruiser profile. Certainly looks more Federation at a glance than a lot of well-loved canon ships, like the Saber or Defiant.

Glad to see it's getting some recognition. I might actually buy one of these calendars now.
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    I thought the 2016 Calander (the 50th Anniversary) was supposed to be full of selected fan-made Star Trek artworks. What happened?

Anyhow, with all due respect to Fuzzymodem getting his DTNE Entry into the SotL 2016 Calander, I wouldn't say this is STO related since his ship never officially got selected. However if Adam Ihle's Enterprise-F / Odyessey-class or one of the Cryptic-designed ships made it to the Calander, then it really would be STO related.

Hmm, come to think of it. Maybe it would be a smart thing for Salami to give out a STO Ships of the Line 2016 Calander at the 50th Anniversary.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    According to the rules of the contest, all entries became the property of CBS and by proxy Cryptic.
    So technically, that design is a part of STO even though we haven't seen it appear in the game yet.
    There was a pic posted by Cryptic in the old forums during the contest, that showed nine of the final designs They were mulling over to pick First, Second and Third.
    One of those nine was quite obviously the "Fuzzyprise", so it wasn't hated by the Dev's at all.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I thought the 2016 Calander (the 50th Anniversary) was supposed to be full of selected fan-made Star Trek artworks. What happened?

Anyhow, with all due respect to Fuzzymodem getting his DTNE Entry into the SotL 2016 Calander, I wouldn't say this is STO related since his ship never officially got selected. However if Adam Ihle's Enterprise-F / Odyessey-class or one of the Cryptic-designed ships made it to the Calander, then it really would be STO related.

Hmm, come to think of it. Maybe it would be a smart thing for Salami to give out a STO Ships of the Line 2016 Calander at the 50th Anniversary.

Seems to me that anybody who takes the time to create artwork of Star Trek Ships, is probably a "Fan".
    (whether they worked on any of the shows or not)
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Seems to me that anybody who takes the time to create artwork of Star Trek Ships, is probably a "Fan". (whether they worked on any of the shows or not)

You completely misunderstood my comment. I wasn't disagreeing about fanarts in general or fans submitting artwork. My disappointment was that the 2016 SotL contest was supposed to be pure fanarts of ships "known but never seen" that was mentioned in Star Trek itself. My only guess they changed their mind and amended the rules.

And with this thread, like I said it really has nothing to do with STO. Just a fanart of a former DTNE contestant.
    According to the rules of the contest, all entries became the property of CBS and by proxy Cryptic.

So technically, that design is a part of STO even though we haven't seen it appear in the game yet.
    There was a pic posted by Cryptic in the old forums during the contest, that showed nine of the final designs They were mulling over to pick First, Second and Third.
    One of those nine was quite obviously the "Fuzzyprise", so it wasn't hated by the Dev's at all.

Now that you mentioned it, how could he submitted the artwork for the Calander if he gave up the rights when he submitted the design in the DTNE contest? Isn't that a breach of contract?

Besides, the majority who bought the calander don't even know it's connection to STO.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    1: are you sure you understood the rules

2: how would that prevent him from submitting it? he's NOT submitting it to a different company.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    1: are you sure you understood the rules.

I would say that point is mute at this point, don't you agree?
    2: how would that prevent him from submitting it? he's NOT submitting it to a different company.

Because those who entered the DTNE contest surrendered their rights to the work. Even if it was the same company (which it's not BTW), it's CBS's property now. So unless CBS was the one to contact him and give him the calander slot, I would think that would be a violation of the DTNE contract. But since the 2016 Calander is already published, that's their problem. But here, the thread should be at least moved to the fan section since this has nothing to do with STO in the broad sense of the term.
  • Options
    1: are you sure you understood the rules.

I would say that point is mute at this point, don't you agree?

Because those who entered the DTNE contest surrendered their rights to the work. Even if it was the same company (which it's not BTW), it's CBS's property now. So unless CBS was the one to contact him and give him the calander slot, I would think that would be a violation of the DTNE contract. But since the 2016 Calander is already published, that's their problem. But here, the thread should be at least moved to the fan section since this has nothing to do with STO in the broad sense of the term.
    Since the Ship of the Line calendar is also a licensed product, I doubt they would TRIBBLE that up.​​