Options

Junior Officer Weekend!

13»

Comments

• Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    vorwoda wrote: »
    guljarol wrote: »
    Meh, why use a crew that's all one race? It's impractical. It gives you very limited options for traits.

Some of us prefer RP (or similar) approach to practical :)​​

Exactly.

However, there's one main (and very silly) reason why I'll still have a few alien DOFFs when all is said and done.

Replicator permissions.

Why are race-specific chefs and bartenders necessary to run a replicator? Surely the devs understand what "computer programming" means? Do we secretly have a member of the Picard family imprisoned in our galleys, pumping out Chateau Picard on call 24/7? And right next to him, is that Howard Johnson who's busily whipping up the notoriously unreplicable Banana Splits on demand?

I kid you not, Banana Splits require their own special DOFF to make them! REALLY?!?! What genius thought that up?

But since that's the case, why can't Romulan chefs make Romulan Jumbo Mollusks? We can get a Ferengi chef and order:
    * Ferengi Jellied Gree-worms,
    * Ferengi Snail Steak,
    * Ferengi Tube Grubs, and
    * Flaked Blood Fleas,
    but we can't get ANY Romulan food on a Romulan ship?! Really? It's a replicator for crying out loud! Please remove the ridiculous permission requirements and just let the blasted things work!

Until they do, though, we've got our own slave-driven food courts on board, apparently. >:) Brings a whole new meaning to the term "galley slave"!

Oh, and Klingon chefs serve Blood Wine, while Klingon bartenders can't. Which also makes no sense.

Darn. Now I'm hungry, too.

Very true, I wanted more Romulan options. They could gave us this on food. What gets me is, you can't even access your own ship's chef or bar tender.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    It's in the console on the bridge. you have to scroll down to the bottom.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    thedancingfoxthedancingfox Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    Hello,

QUESTION 1.
    * What number and range of traits can the purple junior officers get for FED?
    * What races are available for FED?

Is there a chance, for example, no matter how small of getting four "good" traits? (Good as in the sense of Resolve or Efficient or a combination which allows three criticals on a DOFF mission?)

I ask because based on my last remembered sample size of . . . one . . . that out popped a purple DOFF with three traits which on the face of it didn't look particularly inspiring and made me question the effort.

I'd like to think that there is a chance of getting a good trait set if it is going to take 35 minutes of scanning.
    I mean, happy with a free purple DOFF. But would be happier knowing that there is "upside potential."

QUESTION 2.
    * On a related note, is there a chance, no matter how small, of getting *any* DOFF from the academy personnel officer? Eg 99.99% that you'll get a standard white FED DOFF, but a 0.01% chance that you may get a lockbox DOFF?
    I'd like to see that.

I'd very much like to see something like the Angband approach to "rarity", where it rolls again and again until it fails, and that point the rarity is fixed. For example, roll to become a Common - pass, roll to become an Uncommon - pass, roll to become Rare, Very Rare, and then finally Lockbox. So there would be a miniscule chance to get that Gamma Quandrant DOFF appearing from an Academy personnel mission . . . but there would be a chance. Which would mean that very long term DOFFers would have an opportunity to access some of these (like the special R&D DOFFs) other than by a purchase.

Uh, to be clear. Q2 is "Is that possibility already there?" Has anyone seen an "unusual" DOFF from the personnel officer? The supplementary if "no" is then the suggestion of "This would be nice to have."

Thanks.
  • Options
    sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    Meh, why use a crew that's all one race? It's impractical. It gives you very limited options for traits.

Because I am a Romulan in a Romulan ship. As opposed to a Federation or Klingon ship. When I load into the game, they tell me I'm a Romulan, so that is my baseline expectation. When I buy a ship for 3000 Zen, they tell me it is Romulan. So when I put a crew together, it makes sense to go with what i know. Or else I'm probably not a Romulan at all, and then comes the existential questions. Why buy a ship, when I can't play it like advertised? What is the point of all this?

If I should turn out to be a function without a form, then I am nothing but a ghost in the machine. And I can tell you right now that as a ghost, my care for the surroundings is somehow lost, up to and including any mundane cash shops.

Maybe that is a language that is understood. But I doubt it. ;-)
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Hello,

QUESTION 1.
    * What number and range of traits can the purple junior officers get for FED?
    * What races are available for FED?

Is there a chance, for example, no matter how small of getting four "good" traits? (Good as in the sense of Resolve or Efficient or a combination which allows three criticals on a DOFF mission?)
    Any purple you can get from regular recruitment, I got a Benzite this morning. Resolve is not found on most doffs you get at academy.
    I ask because based on my last remembered sample size of . . . one . . . that out popped a purple DOFF with three traits which on the face of it didn't look particularly inspiring and made me question the effort.

I'd like to think that there is a chance of getting a good trait set if it is going to take 35 minutes of scanning.
    I mean, happy with a free purple DOFF. But would be happier knowing that there is "upside potential."

QUESTION 2.
    * On a related note, is there a chance, no matter how small, of getting *any* DOFF from the academy personnel officer? Eg 99.99% that you'll get a standard white FED DOFF, but a 0.01% chance that you may get a lockbox DOFF?
    I'd like to see that.

I'd very much like to see something like the Angband approach to "rarity", where it rolls again and again until it fails, and that point the rarity is fixed. For example, roll to become a Common - pass, roll to become an Uncommon - pass, roll to become Rare, Very Rare, and then finally Lockbox. So there would be a miniscule chance to get that Gamma Quandrant DOFF appearing from an Academy personnel mission . . . but there would be a chance. Which would mean that very long term DOFFers would have an opportunity to access some of these (like the special R&D DOFFs) other than by a purchase.

Uh, to be clear. Q2 is "Is that possibility already there?" Has anyone seen an "unusual" DOFF from the personnel officer? The supplementary if "no" is then the suggestion of "This would be nice to have."

Thanks.
    There are a handful of doffs you can get in the purple pool that are unique. The Fed ones are Xindi IIRC. No these weren't newly added, they've always been there. the vast majority are fed member races, and it's weighted toward the core species(Human, Vulcan, Tellarite, and Andorian) IIRC. KDF seems to get one of Orion, Klingon, Gorn and Nausicaan.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 696 Arc User
    Well... what would YOU do to add replicator unlocks? :p

Make them mission rewards or DOFF mission rewards on their own.

The Comet Cocktail, for example is unavailable from the Drozana Bartender until you complete a certain mission point, then it is permanently available thereafter. They could do the same with other Replicator unlocks.

Or adjust the chef and bartender DOFF mission chains which already exist so that having them completed unlocks the other foods and drinks.

But I shouldn't have to have a plethora of chefs and bartenders in permanent attendance just to get the replicator to do its job on a reliable basis. One fabrication engineer should be able to handle replicator maintenance.
    There are a handful of doffs you can get in the purple pool that are unique. The Fed ones are Xindi IIRC. No these weren't newly added, they've always been there. the vast majority are fed member races, and it's weighted toward the core species(Human, Vulcan, Tellarite, and Andorian) IIRC. KDF seems to get one of Orion, Klingon, Gorn and Nausicaan.

I've gotten Lethean ones on KDF-side, too, and Rigellians, Trill, Deltans, Ferengi, and Betazoids (that I recall) FED-side.

• Options
    thedancingfoxthedancingfox Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    [quote="markhawkman;12697051There are a handful of doffs you can get in the purple pool that are unique. The Fed ones are Xindi IIRC. No these weren't newly added, they've always been there. the vast majority are fed member races, and it's weighted toward the core species(Human, Vulcan, Tellarite, and Andorian) IIRC. KDF seems to get one of Orion, Klingon, Gorn and Nausicaan.[/quote]

Thanks for the response. :)

So in short, there are a few "special" DOFFs in the pool that you might be able to get.

Just it is a limited pool. No chance of a lockbox DOFF coming into existence. (Which would be nice.)

Thank you!

D.F.

• Options
    origcaptainquackorigcaptainquack Member Posts: 614 Arc User
    since event ended yesterday why isnt this thread closed? is mods slacking?