test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Junior Officer Weekend!

Comments

• lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    kianazero wrote: »
    Aaaaand, Romulans get no love... as expected.

So you want both your faction aligned DOff and an extra DOff on top?

Not at all; I'd love to be able to trade in the Fed/KDF Doff for the unique Romulan one. They had her ready to go two events ago, and even said 'we just had a bug that made the contact disappear, don't worry, it'll be fixed by next event', and that so-called fix was simply deleting the contact.
    perji wrote: »
    Does Commander Rojal even exist now?

GLPvegc.png

It was explained last time by the previous community manager, captiansmirk, that what happened was there was old code in the game that shouldn't have been there and Romulans were never meant to get a unique doff. They were always intended to get their allied faction's doff. The doffs all have the same active power and the only difference between them are the traits. So it's not like you're missing out on a unique active power.
    'Never' is a bit of an exaggeration when the old code in this case wasn't a remnant of something that was put in and then removed, but of something they never actually properly implemented but which they did consider implementing to the point that code was written for it. Clearly at some point between LoR's development and the first Junior Officer Appreciation event after LoR's release it was something they did consider doing and had begun to move toward doing.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    tamereth wrote: »
    I take it we still can't reclaim the exocomp if it died on an away mission in previous years?

Nope. Under the Reman image the blog says
    *This is not available if you already claimed it the last time we ran the event.

It would be nice if they added the doffs to the reclaim tab of the dilithium store for characters who obtained them so if you ever did lose it you could get a replacement.

This event seems to have come up suddenly. I'm happy I can get the doff on all my toons that need it. :D

I won't be scanning particles at the academy. I have 15 characters I'm doing the other event on, the Crystalline Cataclysm, so I don't have time to spend 2+ hours of fail trying to get enough particles. I'm actually surprised there aren't a lot of complaints this time about how most particles you scan collapse without ever getting the option to choose a type of scan to collect it. And that's why I never collect particles in this event. I just get the special doff for characters that need it, flip the cadets the bird, then go on my way.
    lordinsane wrote: »
    kianazero wrote: »

Not at all; I'd love to be able to trade in the Fed/KDF Doff for the unique Romulan one. They had her ready to go two events ago, and even said 'we just had a bug that made the contact disappear, don't worry, it'll be fixed by next event', and that so-called fix was simply deleting the contact.
    Does Commander Rojal even exist now?

GLPvegc.png

It was explained last time by the previous community manager, captiansmirk, that what happened was there was old code in the game that shouldn't have been there and Romulans were never meant to get a unique doff. They were always intended to get their allied faction's doff. The doffs all have the same active power and the only difference between them are the traits. So it's not like you're missing out on a unique active power.
    'Never' is a bit of an exaggeration when the old code in this case wasn't a remnant of something that was put in and then removed, but of something they never actually properly implemented but which they did consider implementing to the point that code was written for it. Clearly at some point between LoR's development and the first Junior Officer Appreciation event after LoR's release it was something they did consider doing and had begun to move toward doing.

I agree and I've always felt that way. It did look like Romulans were going to get their own unique doff from this event but Cryptic changed their mind and forgot to remove the code from the game before the event started. Their reason for changing their minds might have been because they didn't want Romulans to get both their doff and their allied faction's doff and they couldn't figure out a way to make sure they only got their unique doff. Who knows?

Romulans still get a doff from this event so to me it's not a big deal. It was disappointing they couldn't get that liberated borg doff, but it is what it is.
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,630 Arc User
    GLPvegc.png

Seems like the same 'bug' that keeps the dev team from putting Contraband turn-in Security Officers on New Romulus.

Oh wait, there are additional turn-in Security Officers on DS9 and nobody is 'double dipping'. :s

Come on talented dev team... either fix the 'half-faction' items (Maintenance Engineer (shown above), Security officers on New Romulus, 'Academy' mid-term question giver on New Romulus, etc.) OR truly make the Republic a full-fledged faction with all their own separate resources. :)
  • borgified007borgified007 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    Was wondering why xp seems to be almost nonexistent for doffing anymore. So Cryptic nerfed the XP awards from doffing huh. Just another in a long line of nerfs, vendortrash nerf, patrol nerf, doffing nerf etc.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    GLPvegc.png

Seems like the same 'bug' that keeps the dev team from putting Contraband turn-in Security Officers on New Romulus.

Oh wait, there are additional turn-in Security Officers on DS9 and nobody is 'double dipping'. :s

Come on talented dev team... either fix the 'half-faction' items (Maintenance Engineer (shown above), Security officers on New Romulus, 'Academy' mid-term question giver on New Romulus, etc.) OR truly make the Republic a full-fledged faction with all their own separate resources. :)
    Yeah, I didn't buy Smirk's explanation simply because T'ress is a unique doff with a picture all her own. IF it was actually never meant to be then they wouldn't have made the art asset. To me, a more likely explanation is they changed their minds for some reason. Maybe there was an issue with preventing Romulans from getting the Allied doff?

Also there's the matter of them going and actually programming the quest to get the doff as well. New missions don't get added to the game accidentally...
    Was wondering why xp seems to be almost nonexistent for doffing anymore. So Cryptic nerfed the XP awards from doffing huh. Just another in a long line of nerfs, vendortrash nerf, patrol nerf, doffing nerf etc.
    Nope. you're doing it wrong is all.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • tempus64tempus64 Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    Security officers on New Romulus, 'Academy' mid-term question giver on New Romulus
    Definitely this. It's extremely annoying spending all my time away from "home". Don't care too much about things like DOFFs but this is a big one for me.
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    stopped doing this event the last time as the academy part is extremly boring and tedious so will miss this event out
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    GLPvegc.png

here is no Security Officer on the Klingon Academy or the Starfleet Academy either. Since you get DOFF recruitment assignments on New Romulus, too, maybe Cryptic also considers New Romulus more like the Romulan equivalent of the Academy, and doesn't want the place to be too convenient?​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 698 Arc User
    GLPvegc.png

here is no Security Officer on the Klingon Academy or the Starfleet Academy either. Since you get DOFF recruitment assignments on New Romulus, too, maybe Cryptic also considers New Romulus more like the Romulan equivalent of the Academy, and doesn't want the place to be too convenient?​​

Not quite. New Romulus doesn't have a Loresinger/Midterm Contact either, which the academies do.
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    vorwoda wrote: »
    GLPvegc.png

Not quite. New Romulus doesn't have a Loresinger/Midterm Contact either, which the academies do.

My suspicion is that all of the things mentioned here are not there in order to prevent further "double-dipping" for Romulans. Security Officers should be able to be worked around by just cloning the existing ones for Starfleet and KDF and placing them in New Romulus Command, since that's exactly what they did when putting them in multiple places for those factions to begin with, and it would be just another "storefront" offering the exact same exclusive assignments. Lore mission contacts might be trickier, but they do have the duty officer contact store that is mutually-exclusive with the ones for allied faction, so it could be possible to open a new one. If it isn't, then the same clunky mechanic as mentioned above would work, cloning the contacts from the allied academies and placing them inside New Romulus Command, set to only give missions to Romulans that are allied to their native faction. It would be a little bit clunky-looking, as mentioned above, to have these representatives of other factions in Romulan facilities, but there are Romulan Republic NPCs in both other factions' main hubs, so it could be viewed as a nod toward fair play.

A side note on this is that the ship has already sailed on keeping New Romulus Command equivalent to an academy, since it has a bunch of things that are normally found in other hubs for the other 2 factions, such as a Bridge Officer trainer, a ship selector and a shipyard. If you don't want them in there for the sake of making it "too convenient," then put them outside in the Flotilla and give people a reason to go there after level 10. I'd suggest outside in the Staging Area, but that would lock them at level 50 minimum, and that's hardly fair.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • thestargazethestargaze Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    Am I the only one that feel the panic over not being able to do the scan particle event on all my toons (5+)? To obtain purple doff I have to get 75 items.. that is a very long time spending on academy to obtain that number .. add that to the number of toons you got. *sighs*
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    Hmph. Can't even get the KDF doff, never mind the Romulan one, as a KDF-aligned Reman... "Laroj" simply won't talk to me. Oh, well.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • kermanikermani Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    Am I the only one that feel the panic over not being able to do the scan particle event on all my toons (5+)? To obtain purple doff I have to get 75 items.. that is a very long time spending on academy to obtain that number .. add that to the number of toons you got. *sighs*

man just don't do it, this is worst event of them all

I just look to see which characters have the fewest doffs and use those. Some of my characters have no real use for yet another purple doff beyond selling on exchange.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • kaspa000kaspa000 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Will we be able to finally turn in the Romulan Recruitment mission? The npc commander Rojal that has been missing for 2 years? Still have this mission in my mission log and would be sure nice to finally cash it in. They should just give Romulans T'ress in the c-store as a promo box already and put this issue to bed.
    Who made the pool yellow? :confused:
    kaspa000 wrote: »
    Will we be able to finally turn in the Romulan Recruitment mission? The npc commander Rojal that has been missing for 2 years? Still have this mission in my mission log and would be sure nice to finally cash it in. They should just give Romulans T'ress in the c-store as a promo box already and put this issue to bed.

The answer is no. It would have been mentioned in the dev blog if they had their own contact and unique doff from this event. You might as well just drop the mission because you'll never be able to complete it.

Again, it was already explained by Cryptic in the past that Romulans were never meant to get their own doff. Get over it.

You can still get your allied faction's doff. If allied with Fed talk to Lt. Ferra at starfleet academy. If allied with KDF talk to the S'stas (though I think I had to talk to the Imperial Personnel Officer to get the doff). It would have been nice if @pwlaughingtrendy had put this info in the dev blog. The blog just says to talk to your duty officer contact.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,404 Arc User
    Again, it was already explained by Cryptic in the past that Romulans were never meant to get their own doff. Get over it.
    And again, it was the second explanation. The first one being "it's a known bug and we don't have time to fix it for this week-end, but don't worry, we'll have it fixed in the future".

#TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    kermani wrote: »

Exactly. I have 2 new captains that will pick up their free doffs, but they will not be chasing blue balls.
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    And again, it was the second explanation. The first one being "it's a known bug and we don't have time to fix it for this week-end, but don't worry, we'll have it fixed in the future".

Yes romulans will never get there own Doff then why were we told the first time that it was a bug and would be resolved it was only later that they said we were not meant to get one. I believe they changed there mind. It will not make people stop mentioning it during this event and future events like this one but to all my romulans who have the mission logged. You will never complete it due to cryptics lazyness and incompetence. And things like this remind me why I no longer give money to this company
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    kermani wrote: »
    Exactly. I have 2 new captains that will pick up their free doffs, but they will not be chasing blue balls.
    AH, good, I will see you at Qo'nos then. :D (the Klingon version is red-orange balls)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Someone had said you get an operations doff if you don't choose a cadet. It's not working so I'm thinking it's a troll, more subtle than the "150 for UR doff" that's been said.

Operations is part of Engineering though right? I never paid enough attention to all that.
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited August 2015

Nevermind that Romulans also get two bites of the cherry when it comes to the regular DOff recruitment projects at SF/Klingon Academy and the Romulan Command Centre.

Yeah, a bunch of white and green ones mostly, that will be discarded. If you have a year and plenty of dil, you can get a blue crew eventually. It is -much- easier to get a -purple- crew up on a human Fed char, so I'm quite frankly not seeing the fruity deal here. Not to cherry-pick on anything, but since I have a royal pain in the posterior getting my Romulan ship filled with Romulan crewmembers, your post is not resonating with my own experiences. It is like you're talking about another game or something.

( Edited for family friendly values. )
  • batdoodbatdood Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I'm not sure if I missed something. I never got the Fed Exocomp. On one toon, I've run through the event 3 separate times this weekend and claimed 3 Purple Doffs but no Exocomp. This is the first times I'm ever done this event. Is there something special that I have to do to get it?

*EDIT* I didn't realize that I had to speak to Lieutentant Ferra first. I've only had 2 posts so far on this forum and had to edit them because I found my own answer. What a knucklehead. lol

Nevermind that Romulans also get two bites of the cherry when it comes to the regular DOff recruitment projects at SF/Klingon Academy and the Romulan Command Centre.

Yeah, a bunch of white and green ones mostly, that will be discarded. If you have a year and plenty of dil, you can get a blue crew eventually. It is -much- easier to get a -purple- crew up on a human Fed char, so I'm quite frankly not seeing the fruity deal here. Not to cherry-pick on anything, but since I have a royal pain in the posterior getting my Romulan ship filled with Romulan crewmembers, your post is not resonating with my own experiences. It is like you're talking about another game or something.

Meh, why use a crew that's all one race? It's impractical. It gives you very limited options for traits.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Someone had said you get an operations doff if you don't choose a cadet. It's not working so I'm thinking it's a troll, more subtle than the "150 for UR doff" that's been said.

Operations is part of Engineering though right? I never paid enough attention to all that.
    It might default to engineer yes. I was pondering that earlier myself and am not sure what happens. It might just give you a random purple.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 980 Arc User

Meh, why use a crew that's all one race? It's impractical. It gives you very limited options for traits.

Some of us prefer RP (or similar) approach to practical :)​​
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 698 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    guljarol wrote: »

Exactly.

However, there's one main (and very silly) reason why I'll still have a few alien DOFFs when all is said and done.

Replicator permissions.

Why are race-specific chefs and bartenders necessary to run a replicator? Surely the devs understand what "computer programming" means? Do we secretly have a member of the Picard family imprisoned in our galleys, pumping out Chateau Picard on call 24/7? And right next to him, is that Howard Johnson who's busily whipping up the notoriously unreplicable Banana Splits on demand?

I kid you not, Banana Splits require their own special DOFF to make them! REALLY?!?! What genius thought that up?

But since that's the case, why can't Romulan chefs make Romulan Jumbo Mollusks? We can get a Ferengi chef and order:
    * Ferengi Jellied Gree-worms,
    * Ferengi Snail Steak,
    * Ferengi Tube Grubs, and
    * Flaked Blood Fleas,
    but we can't get ANY Romulan food on a Romulan ship?! Really? It's a replicator for crying out loud! Please remove the ridiculous permission requirements and just let the blasted things work!

Until they do, though, we've got our own slave-driven food courts on board, apparently. >:) Brings a whole new meaning to the term "galley slave"!

Oh, and Klingon chefs serve Blood Wine, while Klingon bartenders can't. Which also makes no sense.

Darn. Now I'm hungry, too.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    edited August 2015

No, just Romulan would be fine, thank you. No need for aliens roaming on my ship. They could be spies onion-13.gif​​

Reman DOff for Romulans aligned with Klingons (as well as the Klingons themselves), who's spying on who?

Edit, just in case: I get a Reman DOff with the Reinforcement mission so far with my Klingon characters (have to go down the entire list to be sure).
    vorwoda wrote: »

Exactly.

However, there's one main (and very silly) reason why I'll still have a few alien DOFFs when all is said and done.

Replicator permissions.

Why are race-specific chefs and bartenders necessary to run a replicator? Surely the devs understand what "computer programming" means? Do we secretly have a member of the Picard family imprisoned in our galleys, pumping out Chateau Picard on call 24/7? And right next to him, is that Howard Johnson who's busily whipping up the notoriously unreplicable Banana Splits on demand?

I kid you not, Banana Splits require their own special DOFF to make them! REALLY?!?! What genius thought that up?

But since that's the case, why can't Romulan chefs make Romulan Jumbo Mollusks? We can get a Ferengi chef and order:
    * Ferengi Jellied Gree-worms,
    * Ferengi Snail Steak,
    * Ferengi Tube Grubs, and
    * Flaked Blood Fleas,
    but we can't get ANY Romulan food on a Romulan ship?! Really? It's a replicator for crying out loud! Please remove the ridiculous permission requirements and just let the blasted things work!

Until they do, though, we've got our own slave-driven food courts on board, apparently. >:) Brings a whole new meaning to the term "galley slave"!

Oh, and Klingon chefs serve Blood Wine, while Klingon bartenders can't. Which also makes no sense.

Darn. Now I'm hungry, too.
    Well... what would YOU do to add replicator unlocks? :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing