test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fish identification

markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
Soo... I saw these in a creek near where I live and I'm trying to figure out what they are. I might get a picture later, but I don't have one now.

Area: North America, Arkansas, so it's a freshwater fish that can tolerate cold weather.

diet: they seem to eat algae. When I sprinkled chopped tuna in the water they simply swam around it and let the other fish and crawdads eat the tuna.

size: the fish I saw were around 3-4 inches

appearance: long, thin fish with a generally dull coloration and orang-red-ish fins. Also when they eat they tend to twist side to side and that makes their scales sometimes reflect light.

another thing that I noticed is that their dorsal fin seems to be hinged so that they can use it like a rudder.

My best guess it that it's some sort of carp, but I have no idea what sort.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
My character Tsin'xing
Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Gonna have to wait for a picture for sure.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    Judging from your description and this website, you're probably looking at one of the sunfish varieties - sounds like either the orange-spotted or breeding male green.​​
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Well... I looked them up on Wikipedia and they had a different shape. Sunfish are kinda tall and flat, not long and thin(except the bass family, but those are larger). Also they don't have a hinged dorsal fin.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg