test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

How did you like the new episode Butterfly

grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
Just like to know your opinion on it
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."

How did you like the new episode Butterfly 97 votes

Yes I loved it the whole way true
46%
commanderkassytimv94antonine3258thetaninegpgtxmustrumridcully0e30ernestquesteriusmindwindvegeta50024tolmariusazrael605aesicagoodscotchpeterconnorfirstkasrakendrailhserhatgs1905tacofangsmarkhawkman 45 votes
No man, it was lame and very poor written
20%
rooster707tehbubbalookayajaysysil84cirran1captiannemo117dragnridrsynfoolavaloreahcyconianlordthay8472darakosspattonianscrooge69fatman592lawstanzposvalisnowpig74crosis2014koraheaglecry 20 votes
I won't say it was bad but it wasn't good either
31%
ikonn#1068turbionmajosea61sabrevt1100gulberathippiejonkjwashingtonfleetadmiraltacokitsunesnoutyoosty1arabaturkyrrokdlmc85shadowwraith77aelogriagameversemanjim625sistericdamainxlianthelia 31 votes
I don't play STO for now I have a break ATM so heck how should I know
1%
bergins 1 vote

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2015
    I have seen much better episodes written, it's was yeah how I say this... Boring... Fighting the Borg was too easy even on elite this mission was boring. Rewards for now sucks too. The story telling was ok but the game play sucked...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    /sigh

Please do not word the poll options so specifically. Why? Because according to your poll options, there is no choice at all for someone who enjoyed the mission overall, but thought it had some problems. Just give people a simple generic option that doesn't put so many words in their mouth that there winds up being no option they can completely agree with.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,843 Arc User
    This is the closest option to how I feel...personally the only thing that seemed kinda silly to me was the quick little tests on the holodeck then off to use the weapon right away.
  • Options
    you can choose an option and point it out why you choose that here bellow or you don't choose any off them and just leave an comment it's that simple, I can't write a poll with everyone's wishes then you would get a poll with maybe 200 options or more...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    lianthelia wrote: »
    This is the closest option to how I feel...personally the only thing that seemed kinda silly to me was the quick little tests on the holodeck then off to use the weapon right away.

Yeah found the holo deck thing silly indeed you play a written scenario but there was no choosing at all to choose an win option or something
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    kirk2390 wrote: »
    I can't write a poll with everyone's wishes then you would get a poll with maybe 200 options or more...

I'm not suggesting you write a poll with everyone's wishes, I'm suggesting you do not word the options so specifically. You gave absolutely no option for anyone who thought the mission was good, but didn't love everything about it. I don't think that is some super niche "give everybody their own exact wording" option; I think that is actually a pretty generic option that many people would agree with.
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    There needed to be less extreme answers. For me, this fits best: "I liked it for the most part, but there's things that could've been done better."

The good: The emphasis on story advancement instead of constant combat was a nice breath of fresh air, especially when compared to mindless kill-a-thon episodes like blood of the ancients. Don't get me wrong, combat is great, but not when it's all there is to do, and there's certainly room for missions that are story-heavy, combat-light.

The bad: Every element felt too short and rushed. Few minutes in simulation 1, then 2, then 3, then the borgiverse. I'd have preferred having a bit more interaction (digging around, combat, npc interaction, whatever) during each simulation. I really enjoy exploring alternate timelines, such as what we did in the temporal ambassador episode. Unfortunately, that level of exploration/interaction in every simulation plus the borgiverse would've made this episode even longer than the one introducing the dyson science destroyer. Had it been up to me, I'd have broken this up into 4 featured episodes--1 for each of the 3 simulations and the 4th for fixing the borgiverse blunder.

The ugly: A few things.

1) Douchy Krenim Guy (Noye) was rather poorly portrayed--cartoonish and irritating. If my suspicions are correct, we'll be seeing more of him as Annorax 2.0, with his own personal mission to restore his missing wife once he combs over the shielded computer core and realizes what happened. If we're going to see too much more of him, I hope cryptic whips his voice actor into shape a bit and writes for him a little better.

2) The timeship. In Voyager, Annorax's timeship was a nearly-indestructible beast, likely because it existed outside the timeline. Why was this version so fragile? This actually really bothered me and felt like a rather lazy way to forcefully create an Annorax 2.0 character out of Noye.

Oh well, overall I did enjoy it.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Your polls are the worst polls ever created.

We should start a poll to revoke your ability to start polls. No matter how many you make, you just never learn.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,954 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    ...its precisely what I was expecting when the Krenim were brought into this (ie. "Dust to Dust", the side comment Kim throws out during the warp-chase.)

That's not to say it was a bad mission, the writing, execution, and gameplay were top notch for STO (cloaking-in ships was a nice touch that I personally would have overlooked). But...I don't know it just feels more like an obligation for the season than entertainment for its own sake.

Have the Krenim, have to have the "time travel gone wrong" story. Now let's move along to how we're really going to resolve this.

lianthelia wrote: »

Well they did have to fit this into a 10-20 minute STO mission and cutting corners does setup a nice, believable reason for why it all went so horribly wrong.

I mean what message would it send if we spend hours in the simulator, got every small detail right, and then assimilated romulus? It doesn't matter how hard you try or how carefully you consider a situation, you will ALWAYS TRIBBLE it up?

This way there's a nice little "the more you know" style lesson: don't be an idiot. :P
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    ugh... no option for "I liked it but there were still lots of problems" or "it was way better than the last several, but still not great." next time maybe just give us a 'rate it 1-5 stars' set of poll options -.-
  • Options
    kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
    I vote for in between, it's better than some of the other episodes we have, but could have been done a bit more interestingly. The rush we had for instance towards using the ship the first time could have made sense if we suddenly had a bunch of heralds suddenly invade the facility, and we had to escape with the weapon immediately to do the incursion we found most favorable.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    I liked it!
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    aesica wrote: »
    There needed to be less extreme answers. For me, this fits best: "I liked it for the most part, but there's things that could've been done better."
    This would be my answer, too.

But since I can't have that, I guess I'll just pick the most positive answer to find. Because I absolutely must choose an option in a poll. :)​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    aesica wrote: »

The good: The emphasis on story advancement instead of constant combat was a nice breath of fresh air, especially when compared to mindless kill-a-thon episodes like blood of the ancients. Don't get me wrong, combat is great, but not when it's all there is to do, and there's certainly room for missions that are story-heavy, combat-light.

The bad: Every element felt too short and rushed. Few minutes in simulation 1, then 2, then 3, then the borgiverse. I'd have preferred having a bit more interaction (digging around, combat, npc interaction, whatever) during each simulation. I really enjoy exploring alternate timelines, such as what we did in the temporal ambassador episode. Unfortunately, that level of exploration/interaction in every simulation plus the borgiverse would've made this episode even longer than the one introducing the dyson science destroyer. Had it been up to me, I'd have broken this up into 4 featured episodes--1 for each of the 3 simulations and the 4th for fixing the borgiverse blunder.

The ugly: A few things.

1) Douchy Krenim Guy (Noye) was rather poorly portrayed--cartoonish and irritating. If my suspicions are correct, we'll be seeing more of him as Annorax 2.0, with his own personal mission to restore his missing wife once he combs over the shielded computer core and realizes what happened. If we're going to see too much more of him, I hope cryptic whips his voice actor into shape a bit and writes for him a little better.

2) The timeship. In Voyager, Annorax's timeship was a nearly-indestructible beast, likely because it existed outside the timeline. Why was this version so fragile? This actually really bothered me and felt like a rather lazy way to forcefully create an Annorax 2.0 character out of Noye.

Oh well, overall I did enjoy it.

Agree with you 200% !!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    The holodeck part should have actually given you more to do than just read panels...how about finding yourself in the middle of a firefight, space or ground and something actually fun to do? One minute, the Breen have taken over, the next the Dominion, another and our galaxy is like the mirror universe's, the Krenim there conquering us, or the Iconians finally having killed everyone and you're all that's left, etc. Just something more!
  • Options
    ggsimmonds84ggsimmonds84 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    I like that it was more story driven and less focused on combat. As a Trek game we need much more of that.

However, the outcomes and story were pretty bad.

Puts me in a tough spot. If I criticize it Cryptic may decide, okay lets just stay with pew pew missions in the future.
  • Options
    Your polls are the worst polls ever created.

We should start a poll to revoke your ability to start polls. No matter how many you make, you just never learn.

If you don't like my polls why give an reaction on it, I really don't understand your cheer for negativism if you don't like me or my writing or polls please don't read it matter a fact stay away, or come with an constructive answer I can go with learn from it and maybe do better next time otherwise I suggest not to enter my writing or polls just skip them next time thank you....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    my opinion on the mission is simple. it was a waste of effort. its one of those nothing ventured nothing gained episodes. if the end result means nothing then you accomplished nothing. why bother?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Why not just grade it from 1-5? Do people know how to even set up polls?

I'd give it a 3. We could have kept going with the alterations. Maybe use the weapon on the Hanssons so the Borg never came to the AQ in the first place so would't assimilate Romulus etc.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    artan42 wrote: »

I'd give it a 3. We could have kept going with the alterations. Maybe use the weapon on the Hanssons so the Borg never came to the AQ in the first place so would't assimilate Romulus etc.​​

Hello you seen TNG, it was Q that introduced Star fleet to the Borg thank you, so you should then point the weapon at Q , Well that wont work because before you even pull the trigger Q already snapped his fingers at that time. LOLZZZ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options

I'd give it a 3. We could have kept going with the alterations. Maybe use the weapon on the Hanssons so the Borg never came to the AQ in the first place so would't assimilate Romulus etc.

Hello you seen TNG, it was Q that introduced Star fleet to the Borg thank you, so you should then point the weapon at Q , Well that wont work because before you even pull the trigger Q already snapped his fingers at that time. LOLZZZ

The Hanssons set off before that. The message from ENT had already reached the Borg before Q sent the Ent D out. The Borg were aware of us before Q magiced things up.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Star Trek Enterprise isn't a Star Trek series it doesn't belong their, SO I do not count them in. Enterprise was a nice series but doesn't belong between TOS,TNG,DS9,VOY. It's not Gene Roddenberry product. Now you ask why, well first off Enterprise was launched after the 4 known star trek series, second it didn't line up with stories already told, plus the fact technically it was far more advanced then 1701, 1701 A, or any other off the enterprises. There were so many wrongs that they quickly lost interest from fans that's why they couldn't finish the 7 seasons like they planned. So sorry to say story line off Star Trek Enterprise isn't there for me even if it is accepted by paramount.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    Star Trek Enterprise isn't a Star Trek series it doesn't belong their, SO I do not count them in. Enterprise was a nice series but doesn't belong between TOS,TNG,DS9,VOY. It's not Gene Roddenberry product. Now you ask why, well first off Enterprise was launched after the 4 known star trek series, second it didn't line up with stories already told, plus the fact technically it was far more advanced then 1701, 1701 A, or any other off the enterprises. There were so many wrongs that they quickly lost interest from fans that's why they couldn't finish the 7 seasons like they planned. So sorry to say story line off Star Trek Enterprise isn't there for me even if it is accepted by paramount.

DS9 and VOY had nothing to do with Gene, neither did the last half of TNG. Anyway, it doesn't matter if you like it or not, or either if you accept it or not, it still affects the series overall. CBS determines what is canon, not the fans, thank gods.

#TASforSTO

• Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    it left a very negative impression on me, and the future of my faction is seriously in question after playing that.​​
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

The Hanssons set off before that. The message from ENT had already reached the Borg before Q sent the Ent D out. The Borg were aware of us before Q magiced things up.
    When was Annika Hansen assimilated? Could it have been in response to the Q-Borg-Enterprise incident? Maybe in a timeline without Q's intervention, the Hansens would have been able to get back to Federation space to warn of a threat?​​
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    No amount of hate or disgust at the ENT series will change the fact it IS canon now. We can want it all to be just a bad dream and we'll wake up and ENT won't have existed, but it did happen, and there is no happy end to hoping it was a nightmare.
    Also I laugh at the idea that anything not Gene touched is non-canon... As artan pointed out... 1/2 of TNG, and all of DS9 and Voy were not part of his work.

As for your polls, your options really do suck, try a 1-5 stars thing next time. I'd give it a 3.5 on that cause frankly it was the best episode we've had in quite a while, but still had many issues.
  • Options
    darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited August 2015

NX more advanced than all the other incarnations of the Enterprise??? Oh do tell.....this should be fun. Also see Mirror Darkly......And your right it doesn't between the others...just before.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • Options

The Hanssons set off before that. The message from ENT had already reached the Borg before Q sent the Ent D out. The Borg were aware of us before Q magiced things up.
    When was Annika Hansen assimilated? Could it have been in response to the Q-Borg-Enterprise incident? Maybe in a timeline without Q's intervention, the Hansens would have been able to get back to Federation space to warn of a threat?

From what I can remember they set off (on rumours of the Borg) some time before 'Farpoint'. So the Borg are already known of (perhaps from Hirogen?, they live in both the Delta and Beta Quadrants) from before Q fiddled with the Ent D.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited August 2015

When was Annika Hansen assimilated? Could it have been in response to the Q-Borg-Enterprise incident? Maybe in a timeline without Q's intervention, the Hansens would have been able to get back to Federation space to warn of a threat?​​

Her assimilation took place between 2356 and 2361 (being a child at the time it takes a while to develop the drone physically). The Borg launched their first assault on the Federation and Romulans in late 2364 attacking various bases along the Neutral Zone, although their identities were unknown until Q introduced the Enterprise-D to them a year later.

So if anything alerted them to the powers of the Alpha/Beta Quadrants then it is either the Hansens or the Enterprise signal in the 22nd century. Both are very valid options, and we don't have a guarantee that now the predestination paradox has been set up that the signal won't loop on forever.

As another note to the ongoing debate, Gene Roddenberry did approve the concept of DS9, but no further than that (one of the last things he did with the show).