test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is being done about the lag and rubber banding? DEV RESPONSE Page 3

mattjohnsonvamattjohnsonva Member Posts: 4,974 Arc User
It's getting worse Cryptic Devs, even sitting in sol and cycling my abilities I'm seeing short duration cool downs on most of them rather than instantaneous activations. My 80K ISA run is a distant memory as the same ship now with the same gear is lucky to parse 55K. I'm starting to forget what a torp spread looks like in ISA.

I think it's time we had some sort of feedback from the team as to what is being done with the lag in this game. For me personally it is the No 1 issue and judging from the comments in fleet and various channels it's pretty high up on most people's wish list although I wouldn't presume to speak for everyone.
There are a lot of working elements that are being changed with the powers affecting lag. Yesterday I went down to Cryptic and spoke with a couple people who really were able to put it into a better perspective for me.

The team is changing a lot of the way that these powers function with regards to the server. The major issue is their interaction with said server. Don't worry, your powers aren't going to be changing in a way that you can see (your pew pew and deeps deeps will largely go unaffected as I understand).

The team has a combined effort of different things. For one, they're fixing the powers as they can find them. There's been a large list of powers that they've already worked on to reduce the stress put on any server-side processes. The other effort is that they've included monitoring processes on live to get a better analysis of how different powers are hitting the server.

Let's say that mathematically, you have an interaction that creates a fair amount of server load. You get a few hundred people on Tribble using this at at time, and you might not see anything really substantial as far as server load goes.

But what if that same thing interacts with thousands of people on Holodeck? What if it's exponentially heavier on the server rather than simply additive? What if that power interacts with other powers creating an exponential recursive effect? It hits hard. But the team is working on it. Hell, they're bloody well tearing into the problem.

For a while, I have been putting out company-wide reports. I talk about this being an issue and in turn, Cryptic has been combing through the power interactions to change them so that you, the players, don't have this problem any more. They've showed me that they're working on it.

First thing: Game Crashes

The team has been working on a graphics related crash that's been dropping people. This is believed to be the major cause of crashes and it seems to be usually happening at or around startup. We have a test going through that will have potentially a major fix for it, but that's still in testing. We're getting more testing data on that.

We're still analyzing crash data to look in terms of any specific area related to it. There isn't a specific classification data pool for it (brand of graphics card, O/S, ram size, etc.) so the cause is still a little nebulous. But we're still narrowing in.

Second thing: Lag (Server Stalls)

There's a specific distinction between server stalling and client stalling. We have our data to tell us that there's data stalls happening on the server, so that's where a lot of our attention has been. We've been spending a lot of time doing analysis on the combat (powers) systems. This meant a lot of retooling of previously expensive computational designs. We're constantly retooling these powers so that they work better in terms of overall server load. This has been a case/case/case basis.

For some people, they see these in more intensive maps related to power usage. That being said, I'm happy with some of the changes I've been seeing. We're seeing another big batch of changes come into testing right now that we'll be able to analyze.

~LaughingTrendy
Post edited by mattjohnsonva on

Comments

• roninfelroninfel Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    One of my newer characters has yet to finish the delta storyline so I entered into one of the patrol storyline missions and preceded to have my gameplay grind to a halt.

As soon as I entered the system, the video cut scenes were jerky, my ship would lurch forward at .5 - 1km intervals and trying to navigate was out of the question. I didn't parse (because who parses a storyline mission) but I am pretty sure that the NPC damage was at a normal rate but my damage was way lower than normal.

I would be quite happy if season II was titled "The End to Lag" and had no new content and only fixed their system and brought the gameplay quality back to what it was prior to Delta Rising.

• praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    Things.

Things are being done.

We've been (re)assured that they've got people working on cleaning up the lag, analyzing abilities that are deemed taxing on the server and optimizing them. Fixes are being released as they come, instead of waiting and getting doing a bunch at once. It's a continuing process.

So... they're trying?
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,467 Arc User
    roninfel wrote: »
    One of my newer characters has yet to finish the delta storyline so I entered into one of the patrol storyline missions and preceded to have my gameplay grind to a halt.

As soon as I entered the system, the video cut scenes were jerky, my ship would lurch forward at .5 - 1km intervals and trying to navigate was out of the question. I didn't parse (because who parses a storyline mission) but I am pretty sure that the NPC damage was at a normal rate but my damage was way lower than normal.

I would be quite happy if season II was titled "The End to Lag" and had no new content and only fixed their system and brought the gameplay quality back to what it was prior to Delta Rising.

It's not an excuse, but the DQ patrol missions are notorious for their latency. Personally i stay as far away from the ocampa freighter mission/patrol and some others.

Having said that, perhaps the community as a whole should look at the most widely used ability (BFAW) as a potential cause for the ingame latency. ;)​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • moskatamoskata Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    The lag gets so bad that sometimes I have to hault my dilitium mining and wait for it to stop. Had to stop playing broken circle yesterday as well. Because broken circle broke my game with lag.
  • maskedmarvel1maskedmarvel1 Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    maybe if they stripped out half the powers that are in the game instead of adding a new one every other week and get rid of those bloody bubbles and swirly things , they are either blocking my screen or bringing it down to about 1 frame per second .
  • tinead51tinead51 Member Posts: 449 Arc User
    They've got "Top men" on it.... "Top men" :D
  • stumpfgobsstumpfgobs Member Posts: 297 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    It's just as bad as it has been for the last 6-8 months. Quite a few players in central europe get kicked out of the game around 19.00 gmt every day (except during the weekend - it's even worse then) and can enjoy a mandatory break for the next 2 hours.
    It is basically like maintenance but instead of no server its 'login2 timeout" and a bag of other connection related messages. Sometimes the client just takes about 15 minutes to switch from patching to "engage" even though there is no patch - sometimes it just flat out won't do anything.

And its not just sto, its neverwinter too. While at the same time everything else works fine. I really hope they get on top of this because i strongly suspect that it costs them a lot of players.
  • john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    They put out patch notes every so often saying they have made improvements or fixed certain parts of the lag to get our hopes up, but nothing ever happens. Its been 6 months, maybe in another 6 months we will have a game where you fight the enemy instead of the lag, but then I'm probably being to optimistic.
  • primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    The Devs Commented on this Repeatedly today! Please read the many Reddit Posts!

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/3fkrtd/lagits_been_beaten_to_deathbut_shouldnt_it_be/ctqkfea
    primar13 wrote: »

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/3fkrtd/lagits_been_beaten_to_deathbut_shouldnt_it_be/ctqkfea

Would it be such a bother for them to reply on their OWN forum?
    ​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    im sure its a combination of FAW and other powers like Kemocite , APB, APA, command cruiser , set , consoles , when you factor all the possible things that you activate ,the more variables the worst the lag gets , ive noticed this with alot my characters that focus on FAW style builds .
  • kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »

​​

I always find it funny that STO's forums are the worst and last place to get information. Reddit and Twitter are the place to be. Which sucks if you're older than 16.
  • urmuz1urmuz1 Member Posts: 59 Arc User

I don't play Reddit Online, so i don't read Reddit Posts. Devs answering in an unofficial STO forum is an unofficial answer
    Not an ARC user
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    ​​

I agree here. You know its bad when they don't even try to sort it out or tell stuff on their own forums.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Well, they do need the dev tracker, I'm working on a Windows 10 app that will keep all info centralized, as much as possible :smile:
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    I count 5 posts from a Dev in that one Reddit thread. Someone want to go through the last couple dozen threads here about lag and tally up the Dev post count?

Check out some of the other threads there as well. They actually interact with people there.

Can't say I care for the layout there, but there doesn't really seem to be a point in coming here anymore.
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    One of the other problems is when an improvement to the lag and rubber banding does happen with a patch, the very next patch has a habit of undoing the improvement of the previous patch.
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    It's getting worse Cryptic Devs, even sitting in sol and cycling my abilities I'm seeing short duration cool downs on most of them rather than instantaneous activations. My 80K ISA run is a distant memory as the same ship now with the same gear is lucky to parse 55K. I'm starting to forget what a torp spread looks like in ISA.

I think it's time we had some sort of feedback from the team as to what is being done with the lag in this game. For me personally it is the No 1 issue and judging from the comments in fleet and various channels it's pretty high up on most people's wish list although I wouldn't presume to speak for everyone.

They nerfed plasma explosions that should help with the lag. ;-)
    Tza0PEl.png
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,912 Arc User
    tinead51 wrote: »

I wonder how many got that reference... i did
    sig.jpg
  • kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    edited August 2015

So they just stuff the bug reports in a box marked "DO NOT OPEN" in Area 51 never to be seen or heard from again?

I also did.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    urmuz1 wrote: »

I don't play Reddit Online, so i don't read Reddit Posts. Devs answering in an unofficial STO forum is an unofficial answer

Unfortunately, this is how I feel--whether it's STO or Duolingo where devs answer things on Reddit instead of on their official site. Unless it's on the official site, it isn't official.

What is also sad and annoying is that someone in that reddit blames us, the forumgoers, for being the reason that we don't receive official updates. While I sometimes call the business decisions like they are, I hope I demonstrate that it is perfectly possible to do so without a bunch of personal invective.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,521 Arc User
    edited August 2015

You stole my thunder ! lol

"our systems designers are fixing up powers that are too "expensive" for our servers"

See this has me scratching my head. I thought they had upgraded some of their equipment in order to "improve stability".
    I coulda swore that's what they said about a month ago.
    I took that to mean that they were updating equipment to handle the increased load and the such.

Now it sounds like they're just Nursemaiding the old equipment.

Given game performance, especially at peak-times, (like the weekends), and in social zones, STFs, ect. Wouldn't increased capacity cause these problems too? I mean, I'm booted off all the time, a whole lot more on the weekends vs weekdays, same with the lag. (at least for me).

There have been times on the weekend, where I can't even log back into the account server, especially on the past few Sundays.

tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User

Nope I did not. But the last time I read about Cryptics Top Men looking into something it was to fix the bugged customization for the KDF Marauding (Diplomacy) Boff.

It got fixed about 2 years later as a side effect of removing what allowed KDF chars to save Risa-Bikini outfits on not zone restricted outfit slots.
  • nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    I've noticed severe rubber banding while in sector space. Painful to watch.
    I joined my fleet mates on an ISA run a few nights ago, the first I'd done for ages, since the last changes to the failure rules. I can see what Matt means when he mentions torp spreads. I lost count of the amount of times I requested this from my keybinds only to be greeted with....nothing...or one single torp fired.

I'm not enjoying playing Star Trek PowerPoint Online :(

As for the fact that the devs post elsewhere instead of here just makes me fume. I dont read Reddit. THIS is the official STO forum, the place I turn to for news on the game.
    server_hamster6.png

I think it's time we had an explanation as to why news is posted to every other media outlet other than their own forum, this seems to me as almost childish and certainly not professional .

I feel that communications are beginning to fail again. It improved greatly after the change in leadership at Cryptic but seems to have fallen by the wayside again.

Whenever there are systemic issues, game down, logins failing, etc. they post to twitter first and the forums last. I get it that twitter is essentially an instantaneous broadcast but not all of us are glued to twitter feeds!

server_hamster6.png
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User

Nope I did not. But the last time I read about Cryptics Top Men looking into something it was to fix the bugged customization for the KDF Marauding (Diplomacy) Boff.

It got fixed about 2 years later as a side effect of removing what allowed KDF chars to save Risa-Bikini outfits on not zone restricted outfit slots.

So, you don't get the reference, but you understand the inference.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • midniteshadow7midniteshadow7 Member Posts: 787 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Information has been posted on these forums as well as Reddit, Twitter and the like before.
    They are working on these things continuously.

Not everyone has problems. I for one, experience this only on the very odd occasions and I think most of that is due to the huge amount of apps I have open when I play!

Scanning this thread I see very little information that the Devs can use to help identify issues; I have only seen complaints.

Please give examples of maps/missions/powers that make the lag worse. Give dates, times (plus timezone!), errors, warnings etc that you get.
    Did others in your team have everything freeze up at the same time?
    If so or if not, are you all in the same country? (remember not give any personal information out!).
    Have you given the results of a ping test.

The more information you can give, the more the engineers have to use to try and diagnose the problems to then work out a fix.

I also saw someone mention about the Dev Tracker. The new one is in production - we will have it here as soon as we can.
    deleted

​​
    edited August 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    Scanning this thread I see very little information that the Devs can use to help identify issues; I have only seen complaints.

Please give examples of maps/missions/powers that make the lag worse. Give dates, times (plus timezone!), errors, warnings etc that you get.
    Did others in your team have everything freeze up at the same time?
    If so or if not, are you all in the same country? (remember not give any personal information out!).
    Have you given the results of a ping test.

The more information you can give, the more the engineers have to use to try and diagnose the problems to then work out a fix.

Please don't make it sound as if every single post on these forums is a complaint as that clearly isn't the case. There are a great lot of us who have posted detailed information - including Cryptic error tracking numbers and such - to the appropriate bug forums here. Most all of them go unanswered, or are said to be "fixed" but aren't, or get the general "we're working on it".

Personally, I don't see the harm in asking for an update on how these issues are progressing. Something besides "we're working on it" or "MMOs are complex" and the like would be nice.
    ​​

Exactly. There has been numerous, extremely detailed, traceroutes, ping tests and diagnostic output given on the forum before now. This is a call for an update on where we stand regarding this, as it is game breaking for many.

I found a post telling us like small children to submit more info quite frankly insulting, even more so from someone who starts his post off by stating how lag doesn't affect him? Wow. Just ... wow.
    server_hamster6.png
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    I'd love to know if there is any update for the lag. The lag was pretty horrible when I tried to play last night.