test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Catalyst Driver and STO crashed

vayicvayic Member Posts: 4 Arc User
Today I got the new catalyst driver (15.7.1) for my AMD R9 200 and now everytime I start STO I get in and crash in 30 secs. I get graphics glitches like grey models and lock ups , then my whole rig freezes and either bluescreens or I have to force restart. I can play other games, like witcher 3 with max graphics without issue (tested it by running around killing things for 30 minutes). Anyone else having a problem like this? It just started this afternoon after updating my drivers.

Comments

• kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Rollback to your previous drivers. A lot of times better and newer drivers are not "better". And since STO is not really fully compatible with DX11 libraries anyways, it is really not important if you upgrade to your lastest drivers. STO will never recognize em in the sense of taking advantaje of their capabilities and new features or fixes.
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    I've had this issue since season 10 live.

you can get around it by loading the game in safe mode, a hassle yes but it works 90% of the time.

If your one of the 10% who can't even load in safe mode roll back.

But! it solely depends on if you play other games other than sto as updates may be to your advantage elsewhere.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • vardanoirvardanoir Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I'm having this same issue but mine started after I updated to Windows 10 OS and then updated my amd video drivers to the 15.7.1 for win10-64bit version. I was using the 15.7.1 for windows 7 just fine earlier today but after this latest driver update for windows 10, I can't even load into the character screen much less get to my options to see if I can change to using DirextX9 instead of 11 that I know I have my options set to. Gonna roll back to previous driver version and see if I can change the directx options then roll forward to the new update again. otherwise if this doesn't work, I may not be playing STO until the devs or amd does something to fix this issue. I won't use old drivers just for one game if it's the only one being affected.
    vardanoir wrote: »
    I'm having this same issue but mine started after I updated to Windows 10 OS and then updated my amd video drivers to the 15.7.1 for win10-64bit version. I was using the 15.7.1 for windows 7 just fine earlier today but after this latest driver update for windows 10, I can't even load into the character screen much less get to my options to see if I can change to using DirextX9 instead of 11 that I know I have my options set to. Gonna roll back to previous driver version and see if I can change the directx options then roll forward to the new update again. otherwise if this doesn't work, I may not be playing STO until the devs or amd does something to fix this issue. I won't use old drivers just for one game if it's the only one being affected.

have you tried what i said above? hzG3baX.png​​
    JtaDmwW.png
  • dkeith2011dkeith2011 Member Posts: 595 Arc User
    Rolling back to 15.7.1 for Windows 7 64bit here, hopefully things go back to normal.
    ok so windows 10 plus the amd driver update for windows 10 fubar'd my pc. couldn't play this or any game I own. so I just spend hours updating, and more hours reverting back to windows 7 Ult. After the revert I uninstalled the amd driver and catalyst control center completely then reinstalled the 14.9 version of my Radeon 7870. however the moment I log into the game and try to get the game back to windowed mode and then click the button to make it snap out to fill my screen, I get a windows recovery message about my video card then the game becomes unresponsive with a white screen forcing me to use task manager to shut it down. I've even uninstalled the game completely from steam and reinstalled it. I now cannot play the game cuz the moment I try to maximize the window the video crash happens and the game become unresponsive.

So here's the thing. I tried your advice about safe mode before I reverted my windows 10 back to my old windows 7 ult and it didn't work. game kept crashing soon as I tried to make the window bigger, so now what do I do? I'm back to running windows 7 with even older video card drivers yet the game is still not working.
    I should note that the game was running just fine for me even with the 15.7.1 amd drivers all day today and since I updated to those drivers sometime during the week. it was only after the windows 10 + amd drivers update to 15.7.1 for windows 10 that I started having this crash issue
    edited August 2015
    So once again I uninstalled my complete video driver + CCM for my video card then reinstalled it using the 15.7.1 drivers for win 7 64bit. I then ran the game in safe mode, went into my options, made sure i was on windowed mode, and set my direct x to the last one on my list so it was using direct x9. I was able to log into a character successfully so I did as suggested and exited the game and tried to log in normally ...as soon as I tried to maximize the game window to fit my 32in monitor (it's a tv actually) the game froze and became unresponsive making me have to force close it from the task manager. I swear I was playing the game with these exact settings earlier today and for the last 3-4 days since my original updating of my drivers. Since attempting to update my OS and then the video drivers to work with windows 10 my game and even others I own won't work. So reverting my OS back to 7 Ult and then reverting my drivers to a compatible version for win7 hasn't helped if I can't run the game in some sort of full screen or even at all without it just up and freeze crashing on me. If anyone has any other advice i'm willing to give it a go seeing as from what I've read here customer/tech support is pretty much non-existent on Cryptics/PWE end when it comes to video driver issues.
  • mastergizmastergiz Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Same boat mates . after upgrading to windows 10 Pro game stop with vid driver fail,and this is on my gamming computer, never had any problems before win 10....so fix this Cryptic.......
  • buffer4buffer4 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    I have the same problem with AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 Drivers and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit after the upgrade where running the game in DirectX 11 and it causes my Driver to crash and reset. I logged into the game in Safemode and changed the Graphics from DirectX 11 to DirectX 9 and relaunched the game. So far I've had no issues with crashing.
  • stravuusstravuus Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    have you tried what i said above? hzG3baX.png​​

There is only one driver for win10, so you cant roll back. And did you try to play the game in safe mode? It not a solution, at least for me.

• aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    I have Win 10 and latest catalyst drivers, was working PERFECTLY until thursday's (13th august) update and now I can't launch the game at all unless i do it in safemode. Annoying as hell. Nothing changed on my system between 12th and 13th except the update to STO.
    LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!
  • kharn77kharn77 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Same issue, sometimes it works other times it does not, usually you have to Force Verify, but there is no guarantee that will work either, seems no one is offering any real solutions, I cannot even open it in Safe Mode, damn thing wont let me.
  • wolfmoonstarwolfmoonstar Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    The 15.7.1 AMD drivers have issues in Windows 10. The overall suggestion is to go back to the Win 7/8.1 15.7 drivers.
    Finally, I can relax and enjoy the vast beauty of the Galaxy.
    The 15.7.1 AMD drivers have issues in Windows 10. The overall suggestion is to go back to the Win 7/8.1 15.7 drivers.
    kharn77 wrote: »
    Same issue, sometimes it works other times it does not, usually you have to Force Verify, but there is no guarantee that will work either, seems no one is offering any real solutions, I cannot even open it in Safe Mode, damn thing wont let me.
    aliguana wrote: »
    I have Win 10 and latest catalyst drivers, was working PERFECTLY until thursday's (13th august) update and now I can't launch the game at all unless i do it in safemode. Annoying as hell. Nothing changed on my system between 12th and 13th except the update to STO.
    stravuus wrote: »
    jam3s1701 wrote: »
    have you tried what i said above? hzG3baX.png

There is only one driver for win10, so you cant roll back. And did you try to play the game in safe mode? It not a solution, at least for me.

sooo...

What is the error you are getting?!?

Can you load in safe mode then when in game ramp up the settings?!?

have you tried to delete the driver off and then let win Update find the right one from Win 10?!?
    (mainly due to the fact Win Update now has to handle all updates to avoid conflict, coz hey Microsoft!! :s)
    ​​
    JtaDmwW.png
  • scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    workaround the crashes: min graphic settings game looks TRIBBLE ut no crashes... i hope u fix it soon dont enjoy playn with TRIBBLE graphics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aleyskevbrownaleyskevbrown Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I'm getting crashes constantly. And, no, I'm not going to roll back to Windows 7 and an earlier AMD driver just for a game.

I'm one of the returning players who got lured by that free promo to 60 and the free Andromeda. Was going to drop some coin to get a T6 battlecruiser, but there's no point if the game can't go 5 minutes without crashing.
  • akilaganakilagan Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    Its really not a Cryptic thing....ITs Microsoft......They dont want us playing anything other then there games....I also had no problem untell I upgraded from windows 7 to 10......Microsoft just hates there customers.