test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

EC Sinks. Do we need them and what should they be?

My stance on the matter. Yes they are needed. What they should be is a harder question.

Don't reply with "Cryptic will never do it.", I'm not asking Cryptic, I'm asking you.

How would you feel if some character level c-store items could be brought with EC from NPCs? Things like more doff slots, boff slots, respecs, and the like. The c-store versions would still be there as an easier way to get these things. Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, should I repeat the question?

Do you think EC sinks are not needed and if not what do you think are good EC sinks?

Comments

• sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    The time-honored tradition of travel-for-basic-currency exists in the form of transwarp fees... which I never personally use. If combat consumables were more important (something else I almost never use), and dropped less frequently, it might add a more 'organic' form of EC sink; I'd suggest adding device slots and/or allowing more consumables per stack to accommodate such a change, though.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    I wouldn't mind dumping some ec into fleet projects, in order generate new Fleet credit revenues.

Not sure how I feel about NPC's selling c-store items for ec.
    ^ But, depending on cost of said items, it might upset the exchange ferengi's.

EDIT: Took out my ranting lol

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    I rarely have more than a couple million EC on my main, and usually less than 1M if that. No we don't need more EC sinks.

Cosmetic options would be ok though. Make the EC payable like rep projects, smaller amounts over time.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    Not all of us have the full billion and it is wrong to make this game where the rich get richer and the non-billionaires get f**ked over and over.
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Not sure if it's needed, but fleets may provide a nice sink. Especially with the huge costs for the new bonus projects (specifically the 750k fleet credit costs of those) it may be a nice way to dump some EC and earn fleet credits at the same time.

Of course you can argue that fleets already are an EC sink since you could buy normal doffs for 20k-30k, but that's really an inefficient way to do it and it also requires slotting projects that require other resources. Some bonus project like the T5 mark dump project, but for EC might work.
  • sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    gradii wrote: »
    I rarely have more than a couple million EC on my main, and usually less than 1M if that. No we don't need more EC sinks.

I'm in a comparable position; my net EC worth is ~70 million across four toons, and I'm painfully stingy with my EC. I'd agree that we don't need sinks, but some back-of-the-envelope math suggests STO has an EC inflation rate of something like 60-75% (with a similar but less stable rate for dilithium); not bad for an MMO, sadly, but not at all sustainable in the long term.
    sirmayday wrote: »
    gradii wrote: »

I'm in a comparable position; my net EC worth is ~70 million across four toons, and I'm painfully stingy with my EC. I'd agree that we don't need sinks, but some back-of-the-envelope math suggests STO has an EC inflation rate of something like 60-75% (with a similar but less stable rate for dilithium); not bad for an MMO, sadly, but not at all sustainable in the long term.

you sure there's no exploits around which are allowing this?

I know CO had an issue with people abusing farming certain enemies in a particular zone which caused huge "global" inflation.

Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
  • stumpfgobsstumpfgobs Member Posts: 297 Arc User
    I would significantly increase the cost of repairs for dying at advanced and elite difficulty. Both kinds of instances are pretty much intended for better geared players which should have the proper funds anyway - so it won't hit the new players.

On top of it i would add an EC entry fee for elite difficulty queues. The benefit of it would be two-fold. It will keep undergeared players out and will take some EC out of the game too.

Another thing that could take a lot of cash out of the game is selling certain upgrades for EC. Let's say 2 Million for 10 extra sale slots on the exchange up to a maximum of 100 or whatever?
    stumpfgobs wrote: »
    I would significantly increase the cost of repairs for dying at advanced and elite difficulty. Both kinds of instances are pretty much intended for better geared players which should have the proper funds anyway - so it won't hit the new players.

My main sports the gear and build for elite queues (especially ground) and I do NOT have a lot of EC.

• cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Why do you feel they are needed? What is the basis of your decision? I spend my EC on items on the exchange, most of the items being lock boxes items. Unless those items are added to a console where the EC is retired rather than transferred to another player, there is no way that I am going to transfer large amounts of my EC for ship batteries at the shipyard.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    Definitely not.
  • captaintroikacaptaintroika Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    Here's the problem with "EC sinks": if what you get isn't worth having, then no one will spend money on it. I'm not going to buy another set of space clothes when I already have the ones I want.
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 831 Arc User
    [color="#f1c232"]> @rosetyler51 said:
    > My stance on the matter. Yes they are needed. What they should be is a harder question.
    >
    > Don't reply with "Cryptic will never do it.", I'm not asking Cryptic, I'm asking you.
    >
    > How would you feel if some character level c-store items could be brought with EC from NPCs? Things like more doff slots, boff slots, respecs, and the like. The c-store versions would still be there as an easier way to get these things. Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, should I repeat the question?
    >
    > Do you think EC sinks are not needed and if not what do you think are good EC sinks?

NO[/color]​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • tacticalrooktacticalrook Member Posts: 810 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Small sinks really don't work out so well, it'd need to be very large amounts; as exclusive, limited-time options for the spacerich to help the economy recover.

They're the only ones capable of sinking enough existing ECs to make any sort of difference in the inflation rate for us poor folks to notice. As much as I don't like it, a small group being eligible to receive special things the rest of us cannot, it seems to be our only viable option at this point.

The other option is to completely devalue existing things by making them available from a vendor, for a limited time. This approach would benefit us poorer folks, as we could get in on the action, but overall it would have less of an impact. If the items are tradeable, we would be faced with over-saturation issues and people would be less likely to sink ECs once they saw how much less than the vendor price other players were willing to accept for them.

As it stands it seems our primary underutilized EC sink is currently in the form of the GPL store, which is essentially locked behind a dabo timegate for most of us as we either don't care to take part in or don't realize there are other ways of obtaining GPL. Even worse, we don't seem to have much of an interest in what's in the GPL store, for one reason or another.

I suppose a brutal, but potentially effective approach to sinking ECs would be to simply remove all commodities from all item drop tables, make them all bind on pickup, double their vendor prices, set the vendortrash value to 0, and only give players the option purchase them from a vendor. That would sink some ECs, no?
    /channel_join grind
  • spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    If you need an EC sink, I'll gladly take the EC off of your hands. I'm pretty sure I can find enough space poor Delta Recruits in the same boat, too. There, problem solved. Who's up for drinks?
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
    edited July 2015
    If you need an EC sink, I'll gladly take the EC off of your hands. I'm pretty sure I can find enough space poor Delta Recruits in the same boat, too. There, problem solved. Who's up for drinks?
    Don't be silly, putting ECs into circulation by giving them to another player has the opposite effect on the economy from sinking them.
    /channel_join grind
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    Don't be silly, putting ECs into circulation by giving them to another player has the opposite effect on the economy from sinking them.

This is true, give it to me instead. :)
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    Umm NO! I've made and spent over 50 million ec the last few weeks on fleet ship modules. And I've only made that because I spent months levelling R&D!

God knows what casual/new people do for ec!
    Umm NO! I've made and spent over 50 million ec the last few weeks on fleet ship modules. And I've only made that because I spent months levelling R&D!

What does that have to do with sinking ECs?
    /channel_join grind
  • lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    Cryptic has its EC sinks...it's called Lock Box Keys and Fleet Ship Modules. Any gold or LTS player can get those for free once a month which is 4 keys or 1 FSM. Also, it won't matter what new sink is added because of the said items only that Cryptic would stand to get more money if the value of items is lowered because odds are is that ec prices won't drop, because it is too easy to generate. So be careful what you wish for...

Also with the Dil Exchange it would take roughly 14 days for 1 toon to refine enough dill to equal the monthly stipend. Times that my 3 or 4 for a dedicated FTPer that equates to 30-40 million EC every 2 weeks at 8500 dil refined per day for 2 weeks and then converting to zen for keys for FSM.
    HzLLhLB.gif

lowy1 wrote: »
    Cryptic has its EC sinks...it's called Lock Box Keys and Fleet Ship Modules. Any gold or LTS player can get those for free once a month which is 4 keys or 1 FSM. Also, it won't matter what new sink is added because of the said items only that Cryptic would stand to get more money if the value of items is lowered because odds are is that ec prices won't drop, because it is too easy to generate. So be careful what you wish for...

Also with the Dil Exchange it would take roughly 14 days for 1 toon to refine enough dill to equal the monthly stipend. Times that my 3 or 4 for a dedicated FTPer that equates to 30-40 million EC every 2 weeks at 8500 dil refined per day for 2 weeks and then converting to zen for keys for FSM.
    What does that have anything to do with sinking ECs?
    /channel_join grind
  • hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User

What does that have to do with sinking ECs?

That there's already plenty to spend ec on? That cryptic shouldn't punish the average player because of the 1% again?
  • lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    lowy1 wrote: »

What does that have anything to do with sinking ECs?

Everything because it is extremely easy to earn credits in game with what I said. The only way to reduce credits in game is to reduce the generation of EC. The only way you do that is buy reducing the way it is generated, by selling loot to the vendor. That would be worse for not rich players than rich players.

HzLLhLB.gif

• shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    EC supply has already been throttled back a number of times - capping Foundry rewards, reducing prices at the vendors, that sort of thing.

As for buying Zen store items for EC - effectively, you already can: buy contraband for EC, turn it in for dilithium, use the dilithium to buy Zen. Do we particularly need any more sinks for EC? The people already dealing in hundreds of millions probably will continue to do so... the rest of us won't benefit, as far as I can see.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • azurealli4nceazurealli4nce Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    EC sinks are called fleet holdings. We just got a new one in 10.5 . This thread was over before it began.
    DPS-Bronze, DPS-Silver, DPS-Gold, etc. are FAKE! They were created by an outvoted minority who destroyed the original DPS channels!

Tactical Team sucked, once upon a time. I got it buffed. Don't think for a minute that Cryptic ignores forum feedback.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Bling stuff.

Special ornate clothes, solid gold shiny skins for ships, custom titles, extra options in the character creator, like the ability to make your toon much larger or have a huge special tail or a gigantic head or always have some ostentatious glow or aura for 100 or 200m EC. Even special ships themselves which you need one billion EC to get.

Cosmetic items that are exclusively only for the space rich, with the gate to getting them being large sums of EC, which gets sinked out.

How's about something like, O, I dunno, a super-expensive monocle?! That worked out real well for another company! XD
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    EC sinks are called fleet holdings. We just got a new one in 10.5 . This thread was over before it began.
    Let's be honest, they aren't particularly effective in their current state. I suggested a way to make them more effective, earlier in the thread.
    /channel_join grind
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

Besides, we already have plenty of EC sinks: they're called Superior Tech Upgrades.

This thread was over before it began.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    The main reason I even thought about EC sinks is to help out against the rising AH prices. I'm broke myself ingame so I'm not really targeting my fellow broke people. I'm mostly going after that "1%" that is sitting on the EC cap for themselves, their account bank, and fleet bank that is still making more money.

No I'm not trying to "eat the rich". In my perfect world, the Richie Riches would have over the top but not gamebreaking shinies to show off with while those who are not there yet would have more choices of where to spend their money besides on the AH, leading to higher prices on everything.

For example, you could pay the AH for some over 10 million EC gear or could use a NPC that will charge 90% less that to "reforge" your gear with new stats.

Right now you can make EC just staying still, without never firing a shot. Just about anything you can do ingame makes EC. And that becomes a bad thing where is so few ways to get rid of it.

I understand that anything that touches your money is scary so how about a small step. Have NPCs sell white versions of consoles. This will give new characters an easier time while leveling. Everyone would sell the same items, not counting tactical consoles. Feds would sell phaser/photon, Klingons would have disruptor/photon, and the Republic would have plasma/plasma torp. Pretty much the same way it is now with weapons.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    It's too late...

Everyone can see that.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas