test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Should CatStar be in STO?

13»

Comments

• smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    No
    Simple if your readers/viewers/listeners et. al ask for more then give them more. If you are having to ask your readers/viewers/listeners if they want more then the answer is always NO.​​
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    No
    smeeinn1t wrote: »
    Simple if your readers/viewers/listeners et. al ask for more then give them more. If you are having to ask your readers/viewers/listeners if they want more then the answer is always NO.​​

That's not always the case, as sometimes I have been surprised to find out that someone I had no idea was ever reading my works was, because they would go for years without commenting. That said, sometimes it is also important to consider what medium is the right one to use, or what is the appropriate venue, which is why I have suggested the OP consider collaboration with a Foundry author as opposed to the original proposal.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    No
    catstarsto wrote: »
    take it easy...no need to strangle me lol
    andre-giant-choke.gif
    not sure i get where the anger comes form on it, was just a simple poll. im not saying im self intitled, nor am i trying to be as forceful as stan lee with his characters....was just a poll, not even a request to have him in the game. =O.o=
    Don't be disingenuous, you were hoping everyone would say "Yes, we need moar CATSTAR!!!!" so please don't insult our collective intelligence by protesting otherwise...

In the past, I felt you were a well-meaning 'jester' who got more abuse than you deserved, and I actually felt sorry for you. Now I don't. You need to realise that people don't find CatStar as funny or novel you do, and stop this behaviour which is nothing more than self-aggrandizing trolling of the forums. You gave it a try (admirable) it wasn't well received, so learn from that, don't just keep on regurgitating the same in the hopes that folks will 'come to love it'. In the past, the anger was underserved, now you bring it on yourself by courting attention... :-\

• otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    Yes
    Poles like this are like throwing chum into shark infested waters. Catstar and I are admitted artists and as such seek the adulation of fans as well as constructive criticism that helps us better ourselves, but we also know it will bring out the extream haters that only want to tear us down by calling us names and spewing invictives like warp plasma. This poll is simply testing the waters.
    Fleet Admiral Stephen
    No
    otisnoble wrote: »
    Poles like this are like throwing chum into shark infested waters. Catstar and I are admitted artists and as such seek the adulation of fans as well as constructive criticism that helps us better ourselves, but we also know it will bring out the extream haters that only want to tear us down by calling us names and spewing invictives like warp plasma. This poll is simply testing the waters.

But CatStar does not seek constructive criticism, simply ongoing adulation for a joke which, frankly, wasn't ever that funny to begin with, then acts all butthurt and defensive when people tell it like it is, and say they're not interested and consider their polls/posts as little more than attention-seeking... I once felt sorry for the abuse received, but not anymore, because Catstar now courts the attention with a joke which is clearly not appreciated, and I'm not in the mood to indulge it anymore...
  • catstarstocatstarsto Member Posts: 2,149 Arc User
    edited July 2015

your a good man Otis, thx for your patience...

There has always been a handful thats protested me since i first came, cactus berrys can be very sweet...u just have to get past the thorns that come with them. Hecklers have been with me since i first came here, a few are the same faces with the same lines. I try and play off them while i have the mic.

The questions seem to be:
    1: "who do I think I am to make something and then telling people about it?"

2: "why should my character be associated with STO?"

3: "DO I think im entitled to anything better then anyone else?

4: "Do i have the right to play off my hecklers?"

5: "Was this poll self serving?"
    1: Im an artist like many of you, i have the same right u do to make and share.
    2: Because it already is as some of u mentioned, Imagine being treated the same way everytime u post something meaningful to u!
    3: People who ask this are fearful, im entitled to what ever i reach for, just like you....(artist) spend your time finding something you want and quit slapping my hand away when i reach for something I want.
    4: yes, if you have the right to persue me like a rain cloud, i have the right to bring my umbrella
    5: arent they all, every thread we make is us saying, "hey come here and listen" how many have you guys made??

im here so get over it :P
    thx for those who didnt go overboard voting no commentary, i hope i can improve and provide u better entertainment in the future, and those who voted yes, (takes a bow) im glad my work was worth your time
    No

1: Im an artist like many of you, i have the same right u do to make and share.
    2: Because it already is as some of u mentioned, Imagine being treated the same way everytime u post something meaningful to u!
    3: People who ask this are fearful, im entitled to what ever i reach for, just like you....(artist) spend your time finding something you want and quit slapping my hand away when i reach for something I want.
    4: yes, if you have the right to persue me like a rain cloud, i have the right to bring my umbrella
    5: arent they all, every thread we make is us saying, "hey come here and listen" how many have you guys made??

im here so get over it :P
    thx for those who didnt go overboard voting no commentary, i hope i can improve and provide u better entertainment in the future, and those who voted yes, (takes a bow) im glad my work was worth your time

1. Yes you do. But when people do not enjoy your output, (which 80% of voters do not) change the record, not just keep trying to gauge interest for something where the lack of interest, is quantifiable...

2. If people consistently did not enjoy what I was writing, I would stop writing. The lack of feedback for Academy Daze is directly responsible for why I've had little motivation to write anything else...

3. You're clearly not a child, so stop acting like one. You're 'entitled' to absolutely nothing. This forum allows us the chance to post our work, but as above, when that output is not well received, it's time to change the output... But you can't/don't/won't do that, and just keep trolling to 'gauge' interest for CatStarSTO. Well, the poll is in 80% of voters aren't interested, so please, give it a rest and direct your creative energies to other endeavours... :-\

4. Yes, you have the right to reject feedback you disagree with, but that raises the following question: Why seek feedback if you are only going to reject anything you disagree with? That is not receiving constructive criticism, and invalidates the asking process... Not everyone who disagrees with your work hates you, or it, it just means it's not for them. For example: Lynx deoderant (also sold as Axe) drop their least popular scent every year. That doesn't mean that those scents were bad, it just means that they weren't popular, so they don't go out of business, they just release new scents...

5. Sure, but they're not all on the same subject which has been done to death...

Feel free to ignore (I'm sure you will) just my final .2c on the subject...
    Yes
    I think the idea of the foundry mission would be great. Say the Player and crew run afoul of Q who sends them into an alternate timeline and drops them into a Catstar adventure and the only way to get back to their own timeline is to help Catstar with his mission.
    Fleet Admiral Stephen
    edited July 2015
    I think the idea of the foundry mission would be great. Say the Player and crew run afoul of Q who sends them into an alternate timeline and drops them into a Catstar adventure and the only way to get back to their own timeline is to help Catstar with his mission.

marcus is partly right, considering the voting, its why i made the poll so i have no issue withthat, its accurate numbers, some people have given good feedback i never had objection to that...its the having to always defend myself from the "how dare you ask/participate/do/post, such a thing?!!!!!" crowd that gets me worked up everytime. You begin to think your sub-human in their eyes and become cynical toward them. I never see this level of negativity when others post similar things. :/
    Post edited by catstarsto on
    No

marcus is partly right, considering the voting, its why i made the poll so i have no issue withthat, its accurate numbers, some people have given good feedback i never had objection to that...its the having to always defend myself from the "how dare you ask/participate/do/post, such a thing?!!!!!" crowd that gets me worked up everytime. You begin to think your sub-human in their eyes and become clinical toward them. I never see this level of negativity when others post similar things. :/
    When others post similar things, they tend to take the critique onboard and act accordingly. Worffan, for example, stopped writing about Three, when it became clear people found her an unpopular character, and he began writing with a new set of characters. I would also, however, point out that Worffan never overcame a frequently raised point that all his characters 'spoke with the same voice', and IMHO, that was ultimately detrimental to the overall readability of his work... The amount of times you have posted about CatStarSTO in ways which come across to readers as attention-seeking/trolling, goes beyond the point where other writers have taken the opinions of their critics onboard, and revised their approaches accordingly, hense the lack of interest/hostile receptions you are experiencing... As before, I used to feel sorry for you, because I felt the amount of abuse you'd received was unacceptable, but rather than coming back with a new slant, you've just continued to pitch CatStarSTO, so you can no longer then claim surprise when people are less than receptive (as MirrorChaos pointed out upthread) I'm not trying to be unpleasant, but to highlight what the issues may be...

I'm only touching on this, because I forgot to make a point which several others mentioned above: Foundry may well be a better outlet for your output B)

marcus is partly right, considering the voting, its why i made the poll so i have no issue withthat, its accurate numbers, some people have given good feedback i never had objection to that...its the having to always defend myself from the "how dare you ask/participate/do/post, such a thing?!!!!!" crowd that gets me worked up everytime. You begin to think your sub-human in their eyes and become clinical toward them. I never see this level of negativity when others post similar things. :/
    When others post similar things, they tend to take the critique onboard and act accordingly. Worffan, for example, stopped writing about Three, when it became clear people found her an unpopular character, and he began writing with a new set of characters. I would also, however, point out that Worffan never overcame a frequently raised point that all his characters 'spoke with the same voice', and IMHO, that was ultimately detrimental to the overall readability of his work... The amount of times you have posted about CatStarSTO in ways which come across to readers as attention-seeking/trolling, goes beyond the point where other writers have taken the opinions of their critics onboard, and revised their approaches accordingly, hense the lack of interest/hostile receptions you are experiencing... As before, I used to feel sorry for you, because I felt the amount of abuse you'd received was unacceptable, but rather than coming back with a new slant, you've just continued to pitch CatStarSTO, so you can no longer then claim surprise when people are less than receptive (as MirrorChaos pointed out upthread) I'm not trying to be unpleasant, but to highlight what the issues may be...

I'm only touching on this, because I forgot to make a point which several others mentioned above: Foundry may well be a better outlet for your output B)

no, its fairly solid on the dangers posed of even mentioning CatStar let alone thinking about actually adding him to the game. but then again there is always Krenim technology to remove those pesky obsticals! :P
    http://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/3adgy8/cryptic_cat_in_a_bottle_i_told_you_that_krenim/
  • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Yes
    no, its fairly solid on the dangers posed of even mentioning CatStar let alone thinking about actually adding him to the game. but then again there is always Krenim technology to remove those pesky obsticals! :P
    http://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/3adgy8/cryptic_cat_in_a_bottle_i_told_you_that_krenim/
    Well, if you really feel that CatStar is so unpopular that it depresses you, maybe you should shelf him and create something new. You're an artist and a storyteller--surely you have new ideas banging around in that hairy head of yours. Take what worked with CatStar, jettison the stuff that didn't, and start writing, or drawing, or whatever. Caitians can't be the only thing that sparks your imagination. Go wild and make something fun.

You should create things you like to create, but writing or making art is a social activity. You do it both for yourself and your audience, and if you can't find common ground with your audience on one project, try another.

Moving on is part of creating. Sometimes a work just drags on and stops being useful. Then it's time to drop it, and do something new, which will usually turn out better.
    Post edited by alexmakepeace on
    No

alexmakepeace has already summed it up way better than I could B)
    edited July 2015
    Well, if you really feel that CatStar is so unpopular that it depresses you, maybe you should shelf him and create something new. You're an artist and a storyteller--surely you have new ideas banging around in that hairy head of yours. Take what worked with CatStar, jettison the stuff that didn't, and start writing, or drawing, or whatever. Caitians can't be the only thing that sparks your imagination. Go wild and make something fun.

You should create things you like to create, but writing or making art is a social activity. You do it both for yourself and your audience, and if you can't find common ground with your audience on one project, try another.

Moving on is part of creating. Sometimes a work just drags on and stops being useful. Then it's time to drop it, and do something new, which will usually turn out better.

I was just trying to let it go with a joke.
    post-9788-I-guess-you-guys-aren-t-ready-gOht.gif

lets try it again
    sw5520725sw.gif

whoops
    planet_of_the_apes_0.jpg

Seriously though, i wish they had a race changer voucher like other games. I have too much put into CatStar hes already level 58, James T Cat is 53, So is Adventure Cat, Caitian Picard is only 52. if i where to begin leveling my humans I would have to start back at 50 again. :/ if they didnt get so insane with the leveling i would have leveled all of them by now. and i would probably use Flash to make a comic out of the Delta quadrant story, since i gave him Bruce Campbel's personality. this would of lead to smart allic comments to the npcs in the game.

EDIT: I guess my cats can always get a job working at that Nimbus town saloon
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-SYZrNGwgRM4/VbTpfVyXniI/AAAAAAABLuI/iLO1e2LJZso/w426-h320/15+-+1
    Post edited by catstarsto on
    Yes

I was just trying to let it go with a joke.
    post-9788-I-guess-you-guys-aren-t-ready-gOht.gif

lets try it again
    sw5520725sw.gif

whoops
    planet_of_the_apes_0.jpg

Seriously though, i wish they had a race changer voucher like other games. I have too much put into CatStar hes already level 58, James T Cat is 53, So is Adventure Cat, Caitian Picard is only 52. if i where to begin leveling my humans I would have to start back at 50 again. :/ if they didnt get so insane with the leveling i would have leveled all of them by now. and i would probably use Flash to make a comic out of the Delta quadrant story, since i gave him Bruce Campbel's personality. this would of lead to smart allic comments to the npcs in the game.

EDIT: I guess my cats can always get a job working at that Nimbus town saloon
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-SYZrNGwgRM4/VbTpfVyXniI/AAAAAAABLuI/iLO1e2LJZso/w426-h320/15+-+1

Don't even think of changing Catstar, just tone down your reteric and have fun with what you have. RP is still play, you are not your character. Sure our characters embody some of who we are or what we want to be but they are not us,. Build your castle in the clouds by don't move in, keep one foot on the ground. You are a great writter with a wonderful imagination and you created a great character line-up don't throw it away because not everyone likes them.
    Fleet Admiral Stephen
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    No
    What's a catstar?

Edit: Oops. Necroed a thread. :s
    Post edited by monkeybone13 on
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    Yes
    Only after he is neutered, declawed, and housebroken
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • messahlamessahla Member Posts: 1,160 Arc User
    No
    No catstar because your link failed therefore on the grounds of 404 not found i must vote no because of a broken link.....and i was so close to clicking yes lol