test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

what happened to IQ fleet leaks

13»

Comments

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,467 Arc User
    The thing is that the IQ fleet fulfilled a role in the STO community. One which should have been fulfilled by cryptic.
    The amount of info from cryptic is abominable.

I'd prefer it if cryptic would publish a short term, medium term and long term projects list. Even if it was a mere line on a page I'd be nice to see what the developers are working on.

But cryptic releases info so sparsely that data mining is nothing but a natural response from the community.
    ​​
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,003 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    The thing is that the IQ fleet fulfilled a role in the STO community. One which should have been fulfilled by cryptic.

I'd prefer it if cryptic would publish a short term, medium term and long term projects list. Even if it was a mere line on a page I'd be nice to see what the developers are working on.

But cryptic releases info so sparsely that data mining is nothing but a natural response from the community.

Absolutely this. pig-42.gif

​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    Cryptic got sick of having to rush content before it was ready because it got leaked, and plugged the leak.

Wasn't the T6 B'Rel leaked some time ago? They aren't rushing that one out.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    Cryptic got sick of having to rush content before it was ready because it got leaked, and plugged the leak.

I think they rushed content because just maybe there are a lot less players then before and they want $$$ to hit some sales margin. That's business. You have games with content previewed years ahead of being released. I don't think people seeing a picture of a concept would force Cryptic to push stuff out.

Have you not noticed there has been less players in general?
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    woodwhity wrote: »
    Well, maybe cryptic learned something from it: Players want to know what will happen in the (near) future. And not just 2 days - 1 week in advance.​​

Cryptic: Here's what we're planning to do in the next month, bare in mind this is just our plans and are subject to change.
    Forums: Yay! Information!

2 Weeks later

Cryptic: Sorry something has been delayed/is unfeasible/is too buggy to release/ect.
    Forums: U Sux! You promised us! Cryptic can't even keep their promises! Game Is DOOOMED! ect. ect.

And now to counter your planned argument that those sorts of comments already happen -

If two paths lead to the same place anyway, why take the one that requires more work?

That's not very plausible. They have cut/withheld quite a lot of the leaked content before. Blaming the leaks for unfinished content is unreasonable.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer

​​

Come now. You've been around long enough to remember a time when we DID say what we were planning to do in the future, and how that bit us in the butt over and over and over.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited July 2015

How naive, cryptic rushes content because they cant afford to wait 1 year before all bugs are fixed. Not because of leaks.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Come now. You've been around long enough to remember a time when we DID say what we were planning to do in the future, and how that bit us in the butt over and over and over.

I dont really see your situation as having improved. Its not like you waiting longer for releases resulted in less bugs. Which are the cause of many complaints. Not to mention when you introduce things like the command-spec when players already told you it would impact serverperformance. One of the many bugreports you shoved aside. And I wont even start with something like Defera...​​
  • bluedarkybluedarky Member Posts: 548 Arc User
    edited July 2015

How naive, cryptic rushes content because they cant afford to wait 1 year before all bugs are fixed. Not because of leaks.

I dont really see your situation as having improved. Its not like you waiting longer for releases resulted in less bugs. Which are the cause of many complaints. Not to mention when you introduce things like the command-spec when players already told you it would impact serverperformance. One of the many bugreports you shoved aside. And I wont even start with something like Defera...​​

Yes but they used to tell us all their short (almost ready to release), medium (being worked on now) and long (planned to happen at some point) term plans and got ripped into by players when stuff didn't get shifted up lists, got shifted down lists, wasn't on any list or was removed from the lists.

To requote myself:
    bluedarky wrote: »
    If two paths lead to the same place anyway, why take the one that requires more work?

• orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Well, maybe cryptic learned something from it: Players want to know what will happen in the (near) future. And not just 2 days - 1 week in advance.​​
    Sounds like the community didn't learn a damned thing from it. They see the "leaks", but not all of them make it live. What happens? People here rage and moan that the content they was "going to release" or "was even patched into the game" was robbed from them, and they blame Cryptic for it. What would happen if those were actually revealed by Cryptic, but inevitably dropped? "WAAAH CRYPTIC PROMISED US THIS BUT WE NEVER GOT IT I'M NEVER PLAYING AGAIN EVEN THOUGH I'LL STILL BE HERE ON THE FORUMS COMPLAINING ABOUT IT WAAAH WAAAH WAHHHHHH"

No, screw that. If Cryptic is smart, they won't tell us a damned thing till they KNOW they'll release something.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

I can see where you're coming from, but it was kinda nice to know I would have a Valiant coming sometime in the future to spent money on. ​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • lsegnlsegn Member Posts: 594 Arc User
    a3001 wrote: »
    Actually, they say they're closing it down due to a couple of recent scares they have had. They may come back once the situation dies down a bit.

Too

​​

I'm inclined to agree with Tacofangs here, people are dicks. Cryptic trusted us to act as adults and we didn't so they withdrew that privilege... Still, there's got to be a better way than what we have now.

Priority Projects (definitely going to happen)
    Likely Projects (probably but not certain)

I'd be happy with just long term goals that are likely to happen but a long way off. It gives us hope for the future!

And retreating behind a wall of silence until a few moments before it hits the servers doesn't?

I understand how hard it is to deal with all the people and their individual expectations. But you can't please everyone but that's also not what you are trying to do. I am fairly certain that people, especially "veterans", would welcome the long since abandoned dialogue between players and developers again. It is interesting to know what you guys are working on and why.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited July 2015
    lsegn wrote: »

I'd be happy with just long term goals that are likely to happen but a long way off. It gives us hope for the future!

The problem is, there is no "Definitely going to happen" until we're a couple weeks from release.
    I've worked on things that were almost done, but had to be shelved for months because there was some tech necessary to make it work, and that wouldn't be in until ?

Things only get looser and less certain the further out you get. And if "Definitely" only exists within a month of release, by time you get to "long term plans," you're really talking about "This might be cool to do one day, maybe."

angrytarg wrote: »

And retreating behind a wall of silence until a few moments before it hits the servers doesn't?​

Oh, it definitely does. But if you're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't, then it doesn't really matter either way, right? And as Bluedarkly keeps pointing out:

Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • lsegnlsegn Member Posts: 594 Arc User
    lsegn wrote: »

The problem is, there is no "Definitely going to happen" until we're a couple weeks from release.
    I've worked on things that were almost done, but had to be shelved for months because there was some tech necessary to make it work, and that wouldn't be in until ?

Things only get looser and less certain the further out you get. And if "Definitely" only exists within a month of release, by time you get to "long term plans," you're really talking about "This might be cool to do one day, maybe."

angrytarg wrote: »

And retreating behind a wall of silence until a few moments before it hits the servers doesn't?​

Oh, it definitely does. But if you're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't, then it doesn't really matter either way, right? And as Bluedarkly keeps pointing out:

Yeah, I definitely understand that. It would be hard to get on a longterm timeframe, only a few major studios can do that if any.

I can't speak for most but I'm more interested in revamps and new features like Crafting, R@D, Armadas and the new Skill revamp that's been rumored. Ships and missions I'm content to wait for patiently, It's the big things I care about. I could be totally wrong but aren't those sorts of advanced systems in development for a pretty long time? In any case thanks for responding to the comments on the thread here, it makes me happy to see Dev's reading our requests! ;)
This discussion has been closed.