test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lag: Place your bets!

xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
Personally, I'm starting to think STO has been broken beyond repair. Hardware crippling abilities, among other things, that may simply have no fix, short of disabling the whole lot of them.

Weeks of lag. Months. Years?

You tell me...

Lag: Place your bets! 70 votes

The lag is permanent. The game is broken. Get used to it.
58%
aduinfinrod1shpoksxelene13sabrevt1100captainoblivousxapocalypseponyxsarossjosan369jaymclaughlinangrybobhdenniskr87psych2larliekkosdarthnomadkillertigrovaya13akulalordprotiusquepancaptiannemo117themariepeterconnorfirst 41 votes
We'll make it to the next anniversary without a fix. Lagfest 2016!
22%
mattjohnsonvasmokeybacon90stuntpilotbobtheyakvegeta50024swamarianjohn98837crusader2007rakija879ryikegrabbinamolotoxd0vahki11npraxi5ciranferaadmiraldunwallstorules 16 votes
Lag? What lag?/I don't play space queues.
18%
psyman87crypticarmsmanartan42arabaturwhere2r1comdriververulerthatcursedwolfdamainxwhitehawkushunteralpha84sirmaydayazurealli4nce 13 votes

Comments

• sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I have no problems now with lag and had almost none previously. The only places were Undine space zone and ISA. I haven't played those in a while.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    I have no problems now with lag and had almost none previously. The only places were Undine space zone and ISA. I haven't played those in a while.

That would be option 3. :)
  • spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User

That would be option 3. :)

What if I don't see lag in space queues?
    ​​
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif

​​

If true, I would say, "Cryptic, for the love of God analyze every aspect of this here player and find out why he is not suffering like the rest of us."

I've asked many times in team chat as I'm stuttering, rubberbanding and trying in vain to get abilities to work, "am I the only one getting this?". Because I want to know if it's just me. Is it something I can fix.

It's not.
  • kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User

Basically the places where i also suffered the most lag. But since 2-3 months ago, the lag is getting so bad that sometimes is ridiculous. I can be playing a perfect stf with no lag at all, and suddenly, boom, rubberbandin issues and cannons getting no response and other things. The problem is im pretty sure it is not on my end, because other players are also suffering it when i ask in the zone chat.

The most laggy zone at the moment could be the tholian red alert. If you are not lucky, get ready for constant lag spikes and rubberbanding. Again, i never had lag in this game, not until 2-3 months ago. Cant remember what happened by that time.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Maybe it's from being in the northeast but it is very smooth for me. During the exp weekend I must have done 100 red alerts and saw no trouble. The Undine zone has always been a flipbook for me in a crowded planetkiller. Maybe it's 25% better these days than at the start of it. But other than that I have no complaints.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• tigrovaya13akulatigrovaya13akula Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    Here's a thought on the lag; especially since summer started; it's HOT outside! I live in the northern Lower Peninsula of Michigan, and it gets pretty darn hot up here in the summer. My cable/internet/phone line, and several of my neighbors have been glitchy on & off a lot this summer -- cause temps have been in the 80's a lot. Yeah inside just turn on the AC & you're comfortable; but cable & phone lines are up high on utility poles (not buried underground) where I live, so even if indoors is nice & cool, outside it ain't.

Ok, what's the biggest bottle-neck gateway server for the eastern seaboard? It's in Atlanta, GA; COGENTCO.com.
    I'm not from the south, but I've lived there. Florida & Georgia are both basically "swampland" states inland from the beaches. And let me tell ya, it gets REALLY hot & muggy come summertime in those states. So, this begs the question; does Cogentco use actual air conditioning for their servers/gateway, or the cheaper "Redneck" method of AC? Which is basically, open all the windows & turn on the ceiling fans. My guess is that Cogentco uses the cheaper method.
  • xparr15xparr15 Member Posts: 283 Arc User
    If you're going to go through the effort of making a poll, at least make a choice that is different from what you believe (i.e. I am not experiencing lag). I believe you and many other players have lag recently but myself and many others do not. And yes I do space queues.
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    "Well I don't have lag, so there must not be any, or it must just be on your end!"

Yes, just like how just because I have a cheese sandwich sitting on my desk means that there is no hunger in the world. Hungry people must just be doin it rong.

Lag has taken a new turn for me, where instead of just the usual rubber banding and abilities going on CD, it's now started to randomly DC me to the login screen randomly.
  • svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    I don't have lag or a sandwich.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    Well this lag has been around for a long time 9 months of people highlighting it on the forums. I think its here to stay under the games current owners. The game somewhere in the code is broken and if they have been working hard to find the reason they either can't find reason or the code is so corrupted that its unrepairable.

I'd also like to have the dam power tray fixed as well. Pressing available skills in space for them to go onto anything between 3-8 sec cool down is a pain in the TRIBBLE, sometimes it chains try one skill then another and they both go into cd and fail to activate. Or playing ground and trying to activate heals and having to press 3-4 times before it pops by that time you're dead, so a perfectly good hypo or adrenaline rush wasted, or after placing a transphasic bomb trying to detonate the darn thing click click CLICK.

Cryptic can pay for any mouses i break trying to play their game.

Bring back the old icons. Never had this issue until they update them.
  • smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    Another twisted poll with loaded answers...

Where's the "I haven't experienced any lag on any content, ground or space, queues, FEs or anything."

Surely there are threads galore on this very subject, what purpose does holding a poll serve? Can't you just try submitting a ticket and opening a discussion thread on the Bug section. (Sorry if a little peevish, but all these polls are taking away from the impact that poll function could/should have.)

Lᴏᴏᴋ
    Aɴᴏᴛʜᴇʀ
    oUfxUeJ.gif
    Pᴏʟʟ
    ​​​
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • d0vahki11nd0vahki11n Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    I almost rubberbanded all the way back to Cadet today!
    2015_10_17_181_01bcccf5619c5811eb14_1.jpg
    smeeinn1t wrote: »
    Another twisted poll with loaded answers...

Where's the "I haven't experienced any lag on any content, ground or space, queues, FEs or anything.
    "

EVEN IF there are players who experience no lag anywhere (and actually play everything), at this point it is so pervasive, I'm not sure it matters. Teammates, fleetmates, total strangers, DPS channels, all experiencing the same lag I am. Dozens of people I've chatted with in the last couple of days, as we are all lagging about.
    Can't you just try submitting a ticket

Would go unnoticed.
    and opening a discussion thread on the Bug section.

Would go unnoticed.
    Surely there are threads galore on this very subject, what purpose does holding a poll serve?

And here you are. Along with others telling the story of how after months and months and months, game breaking lag is still here.

Hate to admit it (I'm with you on the whole "poll overkill" thing), but polls get attention. Have you seen one yet that had no votes?

Besides, I am genuinely curious as to how many others think that we have a serious problem (the hardware killer abilities/traits/what-have-you) that may not have a solution vs just being serious enough that it is taking ages to fix.
  • angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    The last fix to the servers did fix something. When the game is not lagging or plain not responding, the whole thing seems smoother. But, it also seems to have increased lag, SNRs and, DCs. I have never seen this game without lag of some kind. When I first started playing (before LoR) DCs were my biggest problem. Now, they have brought the DCs back as my main concern (as far a network issues go). I do wish for a fix but, I feel that either the task or the cost (or both) is beyond the scope of Cryptic.

angrybobh wrote: »
    When the game is not lagging or plain not responding, the whole thing seems smoother.

You figured this out by yourself.. ?? :)
  • angrybobhangrybobh Member Posts: 420 Arc User
    kittyflofy wrote: »
    When the game is not lagging or plain not responding, the whole thing seems smoother.

You figured this out by yourself.. ?? :)

no need to be a TRIBBLE. I'm sure most people can figure out that I meant smoother than it was.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Did quiet a few space PvE as of late. Almost thought the lag was gone.

All worked fine until a superlaggy KASA yesterday. All other team-mates complained about the same problem.
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • hatchetl4dhatchetl4d Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    Hence why I ain't playing for 3 weeks now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cassiusdiocassiusdio Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    I only have lag in the evening (I am GMT +1), if that happens I just switch to another game. Problem solved.
  • smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User

And here you are. Along with others telling the story of how after months and months and months, game breaking lag is still here.

Hate to admit it (I'm with you on the whole "poll overkill" thing), but polls get attention. Have you seen one yet that had no votes?

Besides, I am genuinely curious as to how many others think that we have a serious problem (the hardware killer abilities/traits/what-have-you) that may not have a solution vs just being serious enough that it is taking ages to fix.

Ooh I love it when someone gives a reasonable response, kudos for that. :+1:

Ok I would not for one minute try to claim that their is no lag in game, however this is only being experienced by some players. My issue with your poll is that it shoehorns people to answering in one direction only, there is not an option for those that have not experienced game breaking lag and that of the 3 answers you provide 2 answers are basically the same and the third is directed at players that wouldn't be affected by these issues anyway...

If this poll included options for players who are not experiencing these issues, while still playing the content, you might just receive a clearer image of how many are affected by this. 33 people had voted at the time of this post, many people that have not voted have posted comments. If you where to offer an option for those that are not experiencing problems, then you would have a demographic to work from, who knows we may be able to spot the differences between the lagged and the non-lagged.
    7H0tNfX.png​​
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    I haven't chosen an option because none of them apply to me.

I play all of the content and I've never had any serious lag except during periods when PWE/Cryptic have made some changes and admitted there's an issue.

I do have the occasional bit of non-serious lag, the odd rubber band, the odd stutter, but nowhere near what I have experienced in other games, and since the recent adjustments (apart from last week when they had issues with the login server) they've gotten less and my frame rate has improved.

Saying that, I am NOT saying there isn't an issue of lag for people, and I am definitely NOT saying it's the players machines, it seems to me that because it is a select number of people that experience the issues and not everybody that it may be a conflict between the coding of the game and certain components or configurations of components that some people have.

If it is that then that's one huge thankless task they have to fix it for everybody and it's going to take a lot of time with constant small tweaks over time to fix for everybody. It might be a good idea for someone to start a thread that is zero discussion and simply people listing their specs in full detail including make and model of components etc. to help them work out which configurations are an issue and work out how to fix it.
  • xelene13xelene13 Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    For me, the lag is horrible. I barely play now. I log in to do the bare minimum during events.

United States, East Coast, Comcast
  • xelene13xelene13 Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    I do wish for a fix but, I feel that either the task or the cost (or both) is beyond the scope of Cryptic.

Agreed.
    /10chars
    edited July 2015
    xelene13 wrote: »
    For me, the lag is horrible. I barely play now. I log in to do the bare minimum during events.

United States, East Coast, Comcast

Omg, living in the East Coast and you have horrible lag?? are you sure that it is not on our end?

I only will say this. Things dont last forever. And cryptic needs better servers since eons ago. But again, its all about money, so, forget about new servers.
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,272 Arc User
    Lag is back...guess at least until 10.5 launches and they get around to fix it...perhaps a few more weeks.
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
    smeeinn1t wrote: »
    Ooh I love it when someone gives a reasonable response, kudos for that. :+1:

I try to at least appear rational. :)

As for the poll, yeah it could have been a little more scientific. Let me just share this with you.

Someone came across the DPS channels starting up a Starbase Fleet Defense. "Cool" I thought. It's rare to play that now, so I signed up. Just before the first wave of baddies came, someone types in chat "here comes the lag!". Sure enough, the ships warp in and on comes the lag. "WTH, this is unplayable", someone else complains.

Later I joined a Khitomer Accord Space Advanced. One of the team says, "this is going to be lagtastic." And then lag started building until we were all doing the herky-jerkies.

I do not know these people, nor do they know me, where I live or anything about my computer or connection to the internet. Yet, they are able to predict when I will have lag. I'm a little perplexed as to how one could do that, if it's not happening to everyone. Also, I've had a few recent experiences with "no lag" players who ultimately admitted they don't run STFs.

So, there are some of the events that lead to my somewhat biased poll. You've either experienced the lag, or you are not doing the same content. Perhaps someone can author a more appropriate information gathering poll on the matter.

Maybe you would like to make a poll. :smiley:
  • alex284alex284 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    KSA, ISA, and SBFD are definitely the worst, but I had a really laggy round of MTA this weekend and I always have issues with BHE (although that's probably a graphics card issue). Korfez can be laggy too.

I'm wondering why these "I don't get lag" folks never speak up in-game. When people are in chat saying "so much laaaaaaaaag!" why doesn't anyone ever say "What lag? That ran totally smoothly for me"? How come the no lag folks are only in the forums?
  • spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited July 2015

If true, I would say, "Cryptic, for the love of God analyze every aspect of this here player and find out why he is not suffering like the rest of us."

Given a cursory glance, I'm voting its because the only queues I play are normal. The complaints I'm seeing here are from Advanced/Elite.​​
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
    Later I joined a Khitomer Accord Space Advanced. One of the team says, "this is going to be lagtastic."

:D:):D