test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Proposal for in-game DPS titles.

repetitiveepicrepetitiveepic Member Posts: 6,549 Arc User
They could connect it to a system like the one that added the purple delta after the names of deltalts during the delta event.

As u got higher DPS it would show the number, like 5k, 10k, 20k etc after ur name and also when ur k got higher it would change colors like a brown color for 10k and then a metal silver color for higher and a gold and then if u got it really high like make it animated flashing colors and maybe the top person gets every color in the rainbow pulsing and if u got more k then not just have the flashing colors but also make the font much bigger though and give special titles to go along with the colors and numbers like DPS master or samurai or or wizard and if u got high enough k for it to make you have the flashing numbers and the huge numbers font and the title of wizard then u could get some special clothing like a master chain for master and a samurai armor for samurai and a wizards robes for the top title which could be wizard!
free jkname.

#MOGA Make Orions Green Again

zsoRuFM.jpg

Proposal for in-game DPS titles. 204 votes

Yes
14%
f9thretxctehbubbaloolatiasracerpsyman87daniela1055hyplcidjackrepetitiveepicsnipey47anandospcpsych2lcomdriverx1c3c0ldxankokunekokriss257strous1amayakitsunelagomorphicthelordofshadesnh3rd 30 votes
No
85%
nightkenprimar13blassreiterusikonn#1068kamuii2sle1989themartianbernatkvirusdancerberginsshpoksdivvydaveoldravenman3025strongyp1dabelgravealexraptorrcoupaholicdaboholicmirrorchaosrahmkota19 174 votes

Comments

• Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    No
    Let's give people yet another reason to insta-quit the PvE queues. Yeah, great... :#
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    No
    Not everyone cares about it. As long as I get to destroy the enemy and not die, I'm satisfied. I don't have to do it within seconds. It would be dull. The fight, the strategy, the challenge is interesting; can't have that if they're dead a moment after my firing weapons. Numbers do not interest me, and even less - players who will go and insult me to their hearts content because of my low number (there are such, as existence of certain threads proves).

So give me DPS title "Doesn't give a Frack about DPS".
  • Options
    ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    No
    Just what this game needs... DPSers with a god complex using forum titles to judge others.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • Options
    admiraldunwalladmiraldunwall Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    No
    This would just segregate the playerbase further. People moaning about the dead ques now? Imagine the DPSers if they are on a team without these titles.

These wouldn't add anything to the game but further animosity and hostility. Those who do high DPS are already a part of the DPS channels. Isn't that enough, or do you really need to wave your ding-dang-doodle in everyone's face?

Then again, the mention of samurai armour and wizards makes me think this thread was made to rustle jimmies.

tumblr_n8bewt4QjC1qm2fu4o2_r1_400.gif
    "Polls are so annoying, let's make a poll to see who agrees!"
  • Options
    smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    No
    E-peen... .
    :/
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    For something like that to remotely work, Cryptic first would need to integrate a system measuring your damage output (dps is a function over time, so stating "I deal 20k dps" is a nonsensical statement to begin with) via in-game mechanics.

People in the STO forums still only use third party tools to read out the combat log and the big numbers they post can easily be manipulated. The game itself would need to give a number if you want to base titles on it - and the game itself doesn't even tell us our damage potential or does document what "damage" is at all. So, yeah...
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    yarbrough08yarbrough08 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Yes
    I vote for it, not because I want it there beside my name all the time though. I think something similar to the titles we get for accolades would be awesome. DPS milestones would be great, and titles that correspond with those milestones.. I would also like an accurate read of my DPS on the hud, but not necessarily for everyone to see (that way people can have their privacy). If I achieve a certain DPS level, perhaps I would want to display my DPS milestone title - but do not force it on people.

IMHO - once you have an awesome ship and crew, the game becomes too easy. Striving for those milestones would be another way to keep players interested in the game..

EDIT: (also, why does it say I am an arc user - I do not use arc - or steam for that matter)
  • Options
    plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    No
    Rainbows eh? Right..., no thanks.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    We have two DPS leagues with straight forward rules and good administration to sort out which player can do what at which scale. Why do we need an in game title for it?

Wait… Is this just some kind of troll thread to get more bad blood between DPS crowed and none carers?
    shazia9191 wrote: »
    A very good idea, I think. It's sad that some people in this game are so insecure about themselves that a little thing like a title can get them worked up. We don't really care if you 'don't care about dps,' some of us do, and we think this is a top notch suggestion.

Ah, yea it is.

Byebye

animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    No
    ...and then if u got it really high like make it animated flashing colors and maybe the top person gets every color in the rainbow pulsing and if u got more k then not just have the flashing colors but also make the font much bigger though and give special titles to go along with the colors and numbers...

You are trolling, right? RIGHT???

• Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    No
    Hmm, given the game itself doesn't have a parser...

If it had, what would it count as damage? Including pets? What about called fleet support? Etc.

All that to say, of course not.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    orionburstorionburst Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    No
    Sorry Druk, but this is one of the worst ideas you've ever come up with - running around pre rep in the stf elite gear costume to show off was one thing, but this idea takes the biscuit, blends it and then cremates the crumbs with a flamethrower
    344qvwl.jpg

I'm an Arc user? Yeah, right..I'd rather eat a chainsaw, blade first
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    No
    1f76438581c6ca5aad386e957536ff087cccf500516544b64706d3301fef7d04.jpg

/10chars...
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    I'm all for - essentially - an in-game parser. Preferably one that only advises you of what you did for numbers, and gave you "generic" information on the other 4.

IE, you run ISA. You get your DPS / healed / tanked (aka damage absorbed) numbers crystal clear, with a highest / median / average (low when someone suffers from AFK penalty only) for the team's effort.

This way, when you see your numbers "significantly lower" than the top guy (or even median), they might want to start upping their build, but joe scimitard doesn't get to publicly flaunt his e-peen (we don't want indecent exposure, after all... :tongue: )

Also, being an in-game source, it's not going to hit some of the "fails" of the combat log such as missing out on the activities happening on the far side of KASx, etc.
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    xarynn2058xarynn2058 Member Posts: 158 Arc User
    No
    Because badges are really need to throw more fuel on the fire of elitism.
    S1J6m8B.jpg
  • Options
    dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    No
    Sorry, but DPS elitism is really one of the few things driving this game, economically and otherwise. Since endgame is lacking in a major way in STO (face it: there really isn't any endgame), PVP is all but dead, and the RP crowd are content to sit on Risa pretending to sunbathe, what other challenge or milestone is there in STO? The aim to achieve higher and higher DPS levels is really all that's left.
    While what you said is sad but true: Do you really wanna have flashing ingame titles in rainbow colors? I think OP is just trolling.

• Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    No
    Sorry, but DPS elitism is really one of the few things driving this game, economically and otherwise. Since endgame is lacking in a major way in STO (face it: there really isn't any endgame), PVP is all but dead, and the RP crowd are content to sit on Risa pretending to sunbathe, what other challenge or milestone is there in STO? The aim to achieve higher and higher DPS levels is really all that's left.
    e32971d4923a4f5fcfe8ca03dca6aad6f2490494f3f5d54ca3fc8af48cbced15.jpg
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    Yes
    dgdolph wrote: »
    Do you really wanna have flashing ingame titles in rainbow colors?

Entirely too literal.. We should use something like this to catch the devs attention. The devs will decide how they want to implement something... (probably accolades & titles)

I would not want flashing DPS #'s either, but I would want accolades & titles..
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    No
    I voted NO.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    No
    While what you said is sad but true: Do you really wanna have flashing ingame titles in rainbow colors? I think OP is just trolling.

Lately I take a long time to notice troll posts...
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    No
    An option that would lead to nothing but elitist exclusion of players that didn't meet a certain standard.

Even as someone that can easily do 40k+ I still wouldn't want it.

No way.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    Do you really wanna have flashing ingame titles in rainbow colors?

Entirely too literal.. We should use something like this to catch the devs attention. The devs will decide how they want to implement something... (probably accolades & titles)

I would not want flashing DPS #'s either, but I would want accolades & titles..

Problem with "in game titles", to me at least:

1. Take Recluse / Scimitar(d) / other OP-as-heck ship / fleet of "nannies" into ISA.
    2. Earn title.
    3. Take / rebuild / leave nannies home so you have a sub-optimal build
    4. Watch players all go ??? when Mr(s). I have a 50k title just avoided AFK penalty
    5. Profit (?)

And this doesn't even take into account the previously mentioned PuG, see lack of titles, bail game; the "I have a title, do what I say" elitism game; even more pressure to cookie cutter, etc. etc.
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Yes
    Elitism is already in the game...

And no, I do not think any accolade or title should be a "get out of jail free card" (which we know that the devs would not do anyway)

I do not even notice the titles that people already have. I want them as another thing to work for, I could care less what someone else has for a title...
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    No
    Just what this game needs... DPSers with a god complex using forum titles to judge others.

Not forum titles, in-game titles. That appear next to your name like the purple Delta did.
    Just what this game needs... DPSers with a god complex using ingame titles to judge others.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    No
    I'll say no, just because there are far too many players in the game who take it as a "I'm so much better than you" thing.

If it wasn't a source of flame wars in public chat, I'd be ok with it. But pugs can get bad enough as it is, with someone shooting their mouth off when something doesn't go their way - not interested in giving the trolls another reason to troll.
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    No
    I'm 95% sure this is a troll attempt.

Just in case, as bad as an idea it as it is, it would be all but impossible to implement and work as it is intended.

As an example, I could just have a high DPS set up to get the title then change it to significantly reduce DPS afterwards.

Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    No
    Not unless there are also titles for the best at healing, crowd control, and all the hybrids in between.