test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Welcome to Vanilla Forums

Comments

• Options
    admiraltrappittadmiraltrappitt Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    So, now I can post again (thanks!) I'm going to list my main concerns.

1:Signatures. While I'm not a fan of animated sigs generally, I don't want to turn them off. Any way of making there be less frames in the sequence would be appreciated. That, and some are too large. Way too large.
    2:Colour. That is it.
    3:Avatar images are way too tiny, not that I have gotten around to adding mine back in.
    4:I've never logged onto CO, so why does it list me as a CO player?
    5: I'm not sure if it is still an issue, but when I looked at a post of mine the other day, (before I could post) it said my post count was 0.
    6:No next page/navigation bar a tthe end of the page. This is vital. It is ridiculous to read the thread, then choose to read the next page, so you have to go to the top to see if there is a next page/go to the next page.

Sorry about my moaning.
    Proad admin of the Star Trek Battles channel. Join today!

I actually like Delta Rising.
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Well, it looks vanilla. Do we get a chance to snazz it up sometime?

Will we be able to use the Avatars from the previous website?
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Thanks for getting this back up. I concur about a navigation bar at the bottom, though hitting the Home key works to get back to the top, rather than scrolling.

And I'd like more color choices too, white on black is hard on the eyes. I rather prefer a light blue on dark blue myself.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    ussboleynussboleyn Member Posts: 598 Arc User
    It says i'm a "Battle of Immortals User"

i'm not even sure what that is.

How can I remove it?

/\
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I can post now!!!! I appreciate all your work Trendy, I really do, but that being said I truly feel the previous forums were infinitely better than Vanilla in every way.

EDIT: So I saw so many people complaining about signatures, but I didn't see any at all an actually thought they were disabled. Then I went to desktop mode (I use the forums almost exclusively on my phone) and saw them finally, but the forums were completely unusable because the window would not scroll left and right. Could you either fix that scrolling issue or, better and likely easier, give us the option to enable signatures and any other desktop exclusive goodies while on the mobile version of the forums? Please?
    Post edited by evilmark444 on
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    No dev tracker, weird requirements for animated stuff, avatars eensy weensy- I'm not a huge fan of these new forums.
  • Options
    mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    Hmm, these new forums seems to be a pain. Everytime I log-in the guard security thingy asks me to get that code, go the email, grab it, then imput it back here :/ I get it that more security is good but this is ridiculous.
    Text is too tiny, barely see anything on big screens.
    No dev traker and no next page on bottom of the threads.
    And please put some decent limitations on attached gifs/images on ppl signatures. It allready starting to look silly. I am reading a few words on some posts but I am viewing (and loading aswell) what it looks allmost like a whole damm movie on some signatures. Every teenagers put in there ridiculous amounts of gifs/animated memes wich stress alot of bandwidth, not just players but i imagine soon on PWE servers aswell.
  • Options
    geminisierrageminisierra Member Posts: 180 Arc User
    is there any way to have the "discussion" link only show the STO forum?

so far I'm not impressed with this forum and the lack of abilities in the forum
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    is there any way to have the "discussion" link only show the STO forum?

so far I'm not impressed with this forum and the lack of abilities in the forum

When you're on the home page, if you hover over the boards you'll see a little cog appear at the top right of them. Clicking that and selecting 'hide' will stop messages from those boards showing in the discussions page.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    > @mosul33 said:
    > no next page on bottom of the threads.

Funny thing is, the mobile version of the forums DOES have page selection buttons at the bottom of the page. This thing was still a good month or two away from being ready for release with all the missing features and platform specific issues.

You have to give Trendy credit, she's doing everything she can to get it resolved, but whatever higher up decided it was time to pull the trigger on Vanilla was absolutely out of his mind. It simply was not ready yet.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Hmmm, this is pretty basic; it's a shame PWE can't afford better with all those MMO's grinding out cash for them. At least PWE's tech people did finally solve my forum login issues, so I can post again. Thanks PWE!

WTF!?!? I'm now a Champions Online user?? I've never even visited any other Arc games...!
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    I'm getting the repeated challenges from ARC Defender too - I'm guessing it's because (like many people in UK/Europe) I'm coming through on a dynamically allocated IP address, and the security system isn't set up to handle that. (According to the emails I get with the new PINs, I'm logging on from Manchester or Milton Keynes, both places I haven't been to in years, and that you couldn't pay me to visit.)

I find the font size absurdly large - I suppose I could fiddle around with my browser settings and try to shrink it down to manageable size - and the animated GIFs are already getting annoying. Dancing bananas, for crying out loud - what is this, 1997 or something? As for all the Facebook integration and social-media garbage, it can naff off, as far as I'm concerned.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    > @shevet said:
    > I'm getting the repeated challenges from ARC Defender too - I'm guessing it's because (like many people in UK/Europe) I'm coming through on a dynamically allocated IP address, and the security system isn't set up to handle that. (According to the emails I get with the new PINs, I'm logging on from Manchester or Milton Keynes, both places I haven't been to in years, and that you couldn't pay me to visit.)
    >

Shouldn't be a dynamic IP issue, here in the US static IPs are mostly reserved for businesses and often cost significantly more than dynamic IPs. I'd imagine that's how it works in most countries, but at any rate I've logged in on my phone and PC, both using US based dynamic IPs, and haven't even seen Arc Defender at all.

Perhaps Arc is not correctly configured for international traffic?
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited June 2015
    shevet wrote: »
    I'm getting the repeated challenges from ARC Defender too - I'm guessing it's because (like many people in UK/Europe) I'm coming through on a dynamically allocated IP address, and the security system isn't set up to handle that. (According to the emails I get with the new PINs, I'm logging on from Manchester or Milton Keynes, both places I haven't been to in years, and that you couldn't pay me to visit.)

I find the font size absurdly large - I suppose I could fiddle around with my browser settings and try to shrink it down to manageable size - and the animated GIFs are already getting annoying. Dancing bananas, for crying out loud - what is this, 1997 or something? As for all the Facebook integration and social-media garbage, it can naff off, as far as I'm concerned.
    > @shevet said:
    > I'm getting the repeated challenges from ARC Defender too - I'm guessing it's because (like many people in UK/Europe) I'm coming through on a dynamically allocated IP address, and the security system isn't set up to handle that. (According to the emails I get with the new PINs, I'm logging on from Manchester or Milton Keynes, both places I haven't been to in years, and that you couldn't pay me to visit.)
    >

Shouldn't be a dynamic IP issue, here in the US static IPs are mostly reserved for businesses and often cost significantly more than dynamic IPs. I'd imagine that's how it works in most countries, but at any rate I've logged in on my phone and PC, both using US based dynamic IPs, and haven't even seen Arc Defender at all.

Perhaps Arc is not correctly configured for international traffic?

I log in from the UK just fine with a dynamic IP. The only time I get an Arc popup is when I've cleared out my cookies. If you have it set to delete cookies when you close your browser, then that's why you'd get a notification each time.
    It is possible to completely disable the arc defender system though, go here and click on Manage Account Guard.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    Reposting my opinion from the GD thread on the new forums:

My biggest gripe is the fact that the new forums still do not have a default widescreen format, or a sort of selective resolution format (that adjusted the width of posts according to a user-selected resolution size) to make up for all the MySpace-like glitz and glamor that is now possible with each post and to make use of all this dead space to the left and right of each post. I really do wish they did have full and widescreen options that can be toggled in the user settings.

As it is, it feels like I'm still back in the late 90s or early 2000s when it was only full-screen standard for forums until widescreen monitors gradually became common enough to start allowing for widescreen or resolution-based forum scaling. I wouldn't be complaining as much if there was a tasteful game-themed background for each game-specific forum like some of NCSoft's or Blizzard's game forums, but here, with about 5-6 inches of dead dark gray space on either side of a post on a reasonably large widescreen monitor, it makes the forums feel "cheap". If Vanilla is as great as the Devs are making it out to be, please prove it by theming each game forum to their respective games.

I also miss the ability to preview a thread just by hovering the cursor over the thread title, so you could guess as to whether the thread was worth checking out (legitimate non-rant discussion) or just a waste of time (rant-filled openers).

As well, I'm also annoyed that they don't have readily available font color and resizing options built into the text editor, and that it requires 3rd party addons and script editors just to make visible. Again, if Vanilla is all that it's cracked up to be, it should be capable of doing what the old forums did but better. Restrict the level of font resizing so you don't have size 50 letters in an opening rant if you must. Allow some color options to emphasize points or make certain posts easier to read (such when posting layouts or equipment).

I could care less about ungodly-sized signature images or animations, but all the hyping of what Vanilla can do isn't lining up with what's available to us vs what was available to us in the old forums.
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,524 Arc User
    When browsing on my phone, the bottom page number box, back and forward boxes, and the last page box are white background with white text. If the background of these buttons are changed, please do not make them black, as that would basically not make them visible outside of the text.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User

I log in from the UK just fine with a dynamic IP. The only time I get an Arc popup is when I've cleared out my cookies. If you have it set to delete cookies when you close your browser, then that's why you'd get a notification each time.
    It is possible to completely disable the arc defender system though, go here and click on Manage Account Guard.

Interesting... I tried that, and just got a message saying I didn't have cookies enabled, and had to enable them to log in.

Since I do have cookies enabled, it seems Cryptic and ARC have some difficulty in recognizing that fact. Perhaps it's because I use IE, instead of the cool browsers people are supposed to use?
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,471 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    In the summary of the Information and Discussion section for Star Trek Online, announcements is spelled wrong and instead reads annoucements. Please fix. Thanks. :)
    Post edited by sthe91 on
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Will we have the ability to set favourites to particular Arc forums (such as STO and Champions Online), where we can have our favourite forums ready to peruse without going through a bunch that doesn't interest us?

Maybe a way of collapsing the main list of forums to reduce the need to scroll, and yet keeps the other forums visible if we did want to check them out.
  • Options
    ajlagaranajlagaran Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    I'm sure you guys worked hard migrating everything over here and I appreciate that. But honestly, I don't like the look of this forum. I think it looks too plain and bland over-all, lacking color. In fact, the black and white somewhat bugs my eyes. The other forum was also black and white but it did not bug me like this forum does. I realize it may not bother other people.

I haven't even used this new forum long enough to know if I like the features or not.
  • Options
    jonathanlonehawkjonathanlonehawk Member Posts: 674 Arc User
    Will we have the ability to set favourites to particular Arc forums (such as STO and Champions Online), where we can have our favourite forums ready to peruse without going through a bunch that doesn't interest us?

Maybe a way of collapsing the main list of forums to reduce the need to scroll, and yet keeps the other forums visible if we did want to check them out.

You can hide individual game forums on the main page. Click the gear that shows up on the right side and select hide.
    Formerly Known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    STOSIG.png
    Please enable us to buy a token with Zen to faction change a 25th Century FED to a TOS FED.
  • Options
    raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    What was the point moving to Vanilla forums? I miss the old forums.
  • Options
    kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    How do I change what I'm a "user" of? I don't even have Champions.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    Thank you to whom ever is responsible for the pages appearing at the bottom of the threads and for the 10 posts per page returning! These are very welcome additions to the Vanilla forum structure! :) Is there any update on when we can possibly expect forum titles like Career Officer and the many others that were available to us in the past? Keep up the great work, STO forum team!
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    Thank you so much for listing the Child Categories on the main page! Makes navigating the forum a lot easier. :)
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    captz1ppcaptz1pp Member Posts: 931 Arc User
    Is it just on my monitor, or did the forum's design change again, because now all button words are blue.
  • Options
    psygn0sispsygn0sis Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    can we have the "todays posts" button back. These forums are really not that good, and the arc pin # keeps popping up,it's the same PC I've been using for a couple years now.
    CLR.png
  • Options
    roninfelroninfel Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    Hey we had forum titles before are they still available? I can't find them anywhere in my settings. Other than that and the generic look, they seem to be working well.
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    roninfel wrote: »
    Hey we had forum titles before are they still available? I can't find them anywhere in my settings. Other than that and the generic look, they seem to be working well.

I haven't seen them appear yet either. It would be nice to have an update on those returning.