What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Advanced PVE Queue Changes

Comments

• Options
    reaperreborn64reaperreborn64 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    you guys know this will kill the que's even more now people will try and think they are doing good when their dps is 3k or lower in an advanced making a higher skilled (better equpied) player carry that person through right...so now will we not only have raging about pugs in the DPS channels now we'll have it on ESD and every other channel. i think it feels like you guys are now punishing those who carry the team and rewarding those who dont really wanna participate but get the award. i've personally worked very hard to get where i am...i'll que privately from now on thats all there is to it now thanks cryptic for punishing those who care and pay for this game
  • Options
    trillbuffettrillbuffet Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Well my view/opinion whatever is that people usually just do their own private queues which is a very very few select people. Then when you look at the people actually in pug queues its very very low number because it will show that not many games are being played of that type.

Plus on the other hand the way that reputation system and queues are designed with this per character mold by time I get all the characters that I would want stuff from a given rep I have done this so many times that I am sick of doing anything involving that rep so its like this when I get on. Lets see anything fun and enjoyable to do... I look for a queue with more than 1 person in it which is very hard to find and then the ones I do see I am like yeah I'm still sick of that.

I guess eventually when its been done so many times and stuff keeps gradually moving away from Star Trek it just feels like bland content from any other mmorpg out there. Plus I figure looking at where STO is and games that came before or around STO's start have moved onto making sequel games or huge upgrades where STO would be a rival to those games if they are up or used to be up but this one game I've been playing makes me think with these secret cryptic projects they are most likely collecting the chips from this game and then releasing a sequel heh. Which being I am not a big fan of these mega grinds I most likely wouldn't come back for a sequel game because thats where it feels this is heading.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    beameddown wrote: »

the mass exodus from the stf cues were caused by folks tired of carrying dead weight players through content ONLY BECAUSE those dead weight players were more concerned with what color their toons uniform is OVER the ship build that toon flys...

dps channels, stf channels, they gained more popularity- and the random cues where largely abandoned to the dead weight players...

The dead weight, as you describe them, left first - mostly by the end of November. They were blown away by the increased difficulty. I got very alarmed by this and it's why I got involved in the issue as to me it signaled a dramatic change in marketing philosophy. Eventually new dead weight even worse than the old moved in after the new year and during the anniversary. This drove out the supahstahs and now finally the new dead weight has also left.

If it were my game I would gear it towards the casual Trek fan who may spend once in a while. That was how it was geared for 4+ years. Basically, many people who pay a little bit. Suddenly the switch was made in October to cater to whale gamers. But who will they play with? Ah. Themselves. In private groups.

I really don't know if this move signals a shift back to trying to get more people to spend a little. Or is it so that the whales can have someone to play with publicly sometimes if they want.

As I said in December if the queues were left to languish until after the anniversary was over it would be much too late. I don't see any way back from the whaleroad. And that's fine with me as long as it keeps the lights on.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    cncshadecncshade Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    primar13 wrote: »
    Can we Please have a List of Affected Queuse? Or will that be in the next round of Patch Notes?

I feel this is really stupid. If I may ask why do you keep making the game easier????? Instead of letting the players themselves get better. Everytime you nerf something you leave the people that already walk on advanced queues less to do. Also there is no reason to Nerf anything because me and my fleet have NO problems finishing optional objectives even before you nerfed it the first time. I say leave it alone and let player get good on their own instead of catering to them.
  • Options
    kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    It is long overdue. Too long have the advanced pve's been nothing but a mega-DPSorGTFO club. Should we really have such a hostile culture where anyone who wants to try something new must instead be trolled and flamed upon? Should we really impose a MK XIV epic everything or GTFO rule in advanced? Elite levels should be left for the elite, but it's time to put advanced back within reach.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    kyrrok wrote: »
    It is long overdue. Too long have the advanced pve's been nothing but a mega-DPSorGTFO club. Should we really have such a hostile culture where anyone who wants to try something new must instead be trolled and flamed upon? Should we really impose a MK XIV epic everything or GTFO rule in advanced? Elite levels should be left for the elite, but it's time to put advanced back within reach.

These kinds of posts make me lmao, as there is no need for uber high dps to complete an advanced nor, is there any forced need for mkxiv gear to do an advanced.

Heck, I can get by on doing 6k-10k dps by gimping myself and, using mkxi gear for peats sake.

Even if I didn't gimp myself, mkxi gear is more than sufficient, to do advanced missions!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    calyx82 wrote: »
    but isn't that the point is to help new players to build up and to team?

exactly inexperienced players cant really learn without actually participating.

they can test and test and test their builds outside the queues but the real test for them would be in adv. so I think this complaints about inexperienced players are rather stupid tbh.

if they want to avoid it, then cryptic should actually have built in mini-tutorials at the start of each queue just to explain how it works. doesnt have to have cutscenes or something just pictures and text.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    kyrrok wrote: »

Exactly. Those who want to complain about "noobs" and "scrubs" and people they blindly assume "don't spend" and "don't care" should be given their own little Elite corner so that they can keep themselves and that mindset elsewhere. That's what the blogs described--falsely at the time!--before DR came out. So maybe it is time to get all of the Elites created and released, so that the cause for complaining and elitISM is removed. Those who don't want to play with the unwashed masses...won't "have to" hold their noses and do so. :rolleyes:

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Those were not optionals in advanced!

They were in fact, mandatory.

The optionals for all 3, consisted of some form of completing a specific objective, in a given amount of time only, while everything else was mandatory.

its true that i listed the wrong optionals there, but i distinctly recall right after DR launched there were certain objectives being listed as optional that were in fact, fail conditions. i am almost certain the nanite spheres in IGA were an example of such.
  • Options
    rygelx16rygelx16 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Allot of misconceptions going on in this thread.

They are NOT changing the difficulty of any queues.

They ARE changing the punishments for failure.

Most people who had issues with the new STFs were related to those crappy punishments, NOT the difficulty.

Difficulty and punishment for failure are 2 different things.

It's better to have great rewards for success than harsh punishments for failure.

If you still want harsh punishments for failure you can always have someone punch you in the face or something every time you fail an optional.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    exactly inexperienced players cant really learn without actually participating.

they can test and test and test their builds outside the queues but the real test for them would be in adv. so I think this complaints about inexperienced players are rather stupid tbh.

if they want to avoid it, then cryptic should actually have built in mini-tutorials at the start of each queue just to explain how it works. doesnt have to have cutscenes or something just pictures and text.

And bright flashing signs, with professors telling their students what they are doing wrong and, plenty of hand holding to lead them around and, etc. and, etc. and, etc...

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    gulberat wrote: »
    Exactly. Those who want to complain about "noobs" and "scrubs" and people they blindly assume "don't spend" and "don't care" should be given their own little Elite corner so that they can keep themselves and that mindset elsewhere. That's what the blogs described--falsely at the time!--before DR came out. So maybe it is time to get all of the Elites created and released, so that the cause for complaining and elitISM is removed. Those who don't want to play with the unwashed masses...won't "have to" hold their noses and do so. :rolleyes:

When actual good players, look at the so called masses doing weak sauce 100dps-3k dps, it's not elitism, it's those doing that little dps are actually scrubs.

Noobs are understandable but, experienced players are either lazy, trolling or, are well......scrubs!

• Options
    furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    rygelx16 wrote: »
    If you still want harsh punishments for failure you can always have someone punch you in the face or something every time you fail an optional.

Or play Elite STFs, which will still have insta-fail objectives.
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    its true that i listed the wrong optionals there, but i distinctly recall right after DR launched there were certain objectives being listed as optional that were in fact, fail conditions. i am almost certain the nanite spheres in IGA were an example of such.

They had made changes to the majority, awhile back.

And yes, there was that issue at one time!

But, we still find people shot down the majority of times, saying they are still listed as optionals.

Only a tiny few, still require modding by the Devs, to resolve the issue for those tiny few. [I believe like only 1-3 even still have this issue]

• Options
    edited June 2015
    These kinds of posts make me lmao, as there is no need for uber high dps to complete an advanced nor, is there any forced need for mkxiv gear to do an advanced.

Heck, I can get by on doing 6k-10k dps by gimping myself and, using mkxi gear for peats sake.

Even if I didn't gimp myself, mkxi gear is more than sufficient, to do advanced missions!

Okay, this has been bugging me for awhile, but I haven't taken the time to ask.

One minute, people in support of fail objectives, and harder STFs in general, will be arguing that they like them because they are supposedly "challenging".

And, in the next minute, when people are complaining that Advanced STFs are too hard, they will scoff and say that all you need to do is look up a decent build, a walkthrough, team up with the right people, etc. etc....

So...which is it? Do you find it genuinely challenging? Or does it become a cakewalk once you know you're doing and have people who are likewise?
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    you guys know this will kill the que's even more now people will try and think they are doing good when their dps is 3k or lower in an advanced making a higher skilled (better equpied) player carry that person through right...so now will we not only have raging about pugs in the DPS channels now we'll have it on ESD and every other channel. i think it feels like you guys are now punishing those who carry the team and rewarding those who dont really wanna participate but get the award. i've personally worked very hard to get where i am...i'll que privately from now on thats all there is to it now thanks cryptic for punishing those who care and pay for this game

"you guys know this will kill the que's even more now people will try and think they are doing good when their dps is 3k"

you know people using that program to track DPS of players in queues isnt really "accurate" as it really does depend on them actually getting a shot off which unfortunately is impossible when you have people with 30k or higher DPS running them with you as they've already destoryed the objectives before you can even shoot at them. so its not a reliable form of fair anazlysis its just a gauge.

that said, there are those who like to get carried so they just make a few shots then fly in circles for a bit but there are also people who legitimately never get the chance to even do any damage to begin with. so the gap between players isnt as big as you think. its just people overblowing the situation believe that what their in-game counter says is 100% accurate which is silly.
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Well hopefully this unkills the ques.
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited June 2015

because the others do the job for you. soon, someone will say that he can do an elite stf without weapons :rolleyes:

btw, we should team one day, so i could see you in action with your mk XI gears against the vonph cruiser or in viscous cycle advanced against the vilas. And gateway for grethor is a bad example, because the real objective is the rescue of the landing ships; thus yes, your mk xi gears are maybe enough to fight against the baltrim raiders.

the false optionals were a bad idea. now the optionals will be really optionals. if the optionals are missed, the rewards are lowered. this is logical.
  • Options
    xlesha911xlesha911 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Dilithium reward for new Advanced must be changed as well.

No optionals done = Normal Dilithium reward

All optionals done = Advanced Dilithium reward

Some optionals done = Normal Dilithium reward + some more.
  • Options
    xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Addressing the return of players to the queues, there has been a number of excellent suggestions on these forums as to how to create new interest in the queued events.

But this change, nor any other is not going to matter if we can't get the lag under control. It's permeating everything tonight. I can't even enjoy an episode mission without it.

It's so frustrating to have a queue finally pop, only to be greeted with near unplayability.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Okay, this has been bugging me for awhile, but I haven't taken the time to ask.

One minute, people in support of fail objectives, and harder STFs in general, will be arguing that they like them because they are supposedly "challenging".

And, in the next minute, when people are complaining that Advanced STFs are too hard, they will scoff and say that all you need to do is look up a decent build, a walkthrough, team up with the right people, etc. etc....

So...which is it? Do you find it genuinely challenging? Or does it become a cakewalk once you know you're doing and have people who are likewise?

It's only as challenging as one can make it, once you and others make it a walk thru the park, than it loses all of its challenge, unless you again make it challenging by other means.
    because the others do the job for you. soon, someone will say that he can do an elite stf without weapons :rolleyes:

btw, we should team one day, so i could see you in action with your mk XI gears against the vonph cruiser or in viscous cycle advanced against the vilas. And gateway for grethor is a bad example, because the real objective is the rescue of the landing ships; thus yes, your mk xi gears are maybe enough to fight against the baltrim raiders.

the false optionals were a bad idea. now the optionals will be really optionals. if the optionals are missed, the rewards are lowered. this is logical.

Sorry but, they aren't carrying me, I can handle ANY task required in those missions even gimping myself slightly.

And, mk xi gear handles anything, including bosses, the notion of needing even that to do an advanced, is simply icing on the cake.

Heck, even a shuttle and hangar pets have out dps players on here, simply because they are the main root of their dps issue and, not gear!!!

• Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The second big change is that all Normal and Advanced queues now reward the same amount of marks for finishing the mission without completing any optional objectives. However, we still want Advanced queues to reward more marks than their Normal versions due to the fact that the critters are tougher and there is added challenge in completing the mission while fighting them. The difference is now made up for in greater rewards on the optional objectives on Advanced.
    rofl...

Cryptic will never-ever reward players logically. Pffft... Who needs fun while you can grind away.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    It's only as challenging as one can make it, once you and others make it a walk thru the park, than it loses all of its challenge, unless you again make it challenging by other means.

But again, where's the challenge for someone like you? You just said you could do it in Mark XI gear no problem. If it becomes even easier, what difference would it make?
  • Options
    omega4728omega4728 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Quote:
    After watching the numbers and listening to feedback, we believe that the STO community has approved of these changes.

No I do not approve. The Azure queue got utterly ridiculous!
    on Normal: you get loads of T1 ships to save, so optionals always fail
    on Advanced: almost same with low level ships so optional fail aswell along with the entire mission

The timed optionals are utter TRIBBLE if the game mechanics aint supporting it.
  • Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I don't mean to be nit-picky (read: I'm about to be niit-picky), but in the first sentence under the hearer "what this means for rewards" I think you want to use the possessive form of the pronoun. The end of the sentence would then read "... we expect that players will be able to earn more marks from playing these queues as [their] progress will no longer be halted prematurely."

*did you by chance mean nit and header?
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    beameddown wrote: »
    this game is SUPER easy, the pve content is a JOKE

So again, I ask of you, what difference would it make to someone like you if it was made even easier?

You worry about the quality of pugs declining, but of what concern is that to someone who uses private channels or flies with fleetmates, which I assume you do considering your disdain for pugs?

Are current pugs that much better? Has the majority (keyword here) of the playerbase really improved itself as a result of the the fail objectives? The decline in que population would say otherwise: instead of improving, most people either found other things to do or simply quite playing altogether.

Once more, I simply can't wrap my head around the vehemence that some of you have toward the idea of removing the fail objectives from the Advanced ques. This is meant to be a boon for more casual players, and should in no way effect the more serious players, who either are already playing Elites (which will be unaffected) or should be grouping up in private channels (as they already do now) if they really want to avoid the "riff raff".
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    So, while Cryptic's busy rolling back things, any chance to roll back CSA to what it was game play wise?

... yes, super Bop's and probes & weak cube's & probes (plus extra super-dooper Kang) all in the same mission continue to make zero sense ... ., while at the same time continues to mock the players & the programmer who made those changes ...
  • Options
    mosul33mosul33 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Ohh how wonderful. These changes are great and its nice to see Cryptic keeping its word. Even if these changes wouldve helped much more soo long ago, right after the awful DR hit, and not make so much players quit the game, its allways better late then never.
    Once more, I simply can't wrap my head around the vehemence that some of you have toward the idea of removing the fail objectives from the Advanced ques. This is meant to be a boon for more casual players, and should in no way effect the more serious players, who either are already playing Elites (which will be unaffected) or should be grouping up in private channels (as they already do now) if they really want to avoid the "riff raff".

Aaa, but here is the thing. This has nothing to do with everything you said. Its all about elitism and exclusiveness. You see, some wannabe DPS deities are really not happy with this at all. They werent happy anyway since they couldnt bring too many ppl (aka the majority of the playerbase) under their crapy DPS channels. In fact this scares them a bit. Becouse alot of ppl that joined those channels to do runs were barely tolerating them. And I mean, lets be honest, who could put too much with that toxic atmosphere from there. The 10kers were/are actually used alot of times for the amusament of the higher DPsers as audiance for their E-peen waveing parsers or for mockery. And what happened lately with their "gate" made it even worst. Lots of ppl didnt even rejoin those channels or having serious second thoughts of staying anymore or going back to Public ones like PESTF. This will help them decide better and leave those awful DPS channels. I really expect much less runs done in those channels when these changes make it to holodeck.

Anyway, Kudos again to Cryptic for these changes.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The dead weight, as you describe them, left first - mostly by the end of November. They were blown away by the increased difficulty. I got very alarmed by this and it's why I got involved in the issue as to me it signaled a dramatic change in marketing philosophy. Eventually new dead weight even worse than the old moved in after the new year and during the anniversary. This drove out the supahstahs and now finally the new dead weight has also left.
    They should've put in mandatory, solo training missions you'd have to get a passing grade in before unlocking Advanced/Elite, to keep the worst of the dead weight out. Then the players who know what they're doing would still be in the queues instead of disappearing into their private channels.
    If it were my game I would gear it towards the casual Trek fan who may spend once in a while. That was how it was geared for 4+ years. Basically, many people who pay a little bit. Suddenly the switch was made in October to cater to whale gamers. But who will they play with? Ah. Themselves. In private groups.
    If it were my game, I'd direct the casuals and the beginners toward Normal, which always was geared for them. Because the point of having multiple difficulty settings is for everyone to have an appropriate level, not for everything to be super-easy.

Making Advanced the new Normal is stupid. Now the wannabes are going to be gunning for Elites next.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    sqwished wrote: »
    Whilst I personally think the optionals were fine the way they were, and I dont have a problem dealing with them. I'm hoping this will breathe some life back into the public queue's once more. And I'm aware of the channels dedicated to making premades, but there's more of challenge running with a public group because of the uncertainty of who you'll be teamed with.

Salute Sir, you are so right. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated