test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Should I read Diane Duane's "Rihannsu" books?

mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
edited June 2015 in Romulan Discussion
Shout out to apsciliara, who brought this up in another thread. :)

And this is probably asking a biased crowd, LOL, but are these books good? I see there are five books...
d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    greatbritongreatbriton Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I am sure others will have a different view, but while I enjoyed them to some extent, they did not represent the Romulans that I enjoyed. Enjoy them as an interpretation of Romulan culture - it's not an interpretation I subscibe to per se (I call that TOS period the D'Uanist-era in my personal head-canon). However, that all being said, I thoroughly recommend The Romulan Way, especially the historical 'Diaspora' chapters (the chapter regarding an encounter with the Iruhe I still find oddly disturbing).
    Klingon-RomulanAlliance7a_zps2aa8171d.png
  • Options
    greendragon527greendragon527 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I recommend them, I found them highly enjoyable. As briton said, Romulan way is a great source of historical information, and was also the first one I read. Picked it up second-hand, and it inspired me to read the others.
  • Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I'm reading them right now, and I find them fine. After hearing lots of praises, I must admit they are not as awesome as some people see them, but they are good, interesting books. (Interestingly, a similar situation is with "A Stitch in Time": some many people find it absolutely fantastic, I found it mediocre).

And I second the others: the historical information on the Sundering in "The Romulan Way" is very interesting, and I find it a lot more engaging than the story it is inserted into.

I also don't see "my" Romulans, or what I would expect after knowing them from the shows. Some elements, yes, but generally it is a separate (and sometimes even contradictory) worldbuilding to what we have seen on screen.

Still, IMHO it's a good read.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Yeah, I'm very hesitant about any of the Trek books, to be honest. I don't like the direction most of the authors take (fan service pushed to 11, I guess).

That being said, I may have to check these out. :) I saw an omnibus for Kindle of the first four books, and I may need something to occupy myself during vacation next week. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    guljarol wrote: »
    (Interestingly, a similar situation is with "A Stitch in Time": some many people find it absolutely fantastic, I found it mediocre).

I've kinda been interested in this book, too. The only DS9 novel I remember reading back in the day was Saratoga, and I don't remember much about it.

I'm very defensive about my beloved DS9. :D I don't need a book to ruin it for me, or waste my time. ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I'm very defensive about my beloved DS9. :D I don't need a book to ruin it for me, or waste my time. ;)

"A Stitch in Time" aside, the post-DS9 DS9 books are wonderful up to "Warpath". :) It gets weird and ruined after that, but until that book, it was a feast for me. I read them twice :)
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    "A Stitch in Time" aside, the post-DS9 DS9 books are wonderful up to "Warpath". :) It gets weird and ruined after that

Isn't that the truth! Without wanting to drop spoilers, Starbase Deep Space 9 will never be the same again....!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    "A Stitch in Time" aside, the post-DS9 DS9 books are wonderful up to "Warpath". :) It gets weird and ruined after that, but until that book, it was a feast for me. I read them twice :)

Funny you mention that... the omnibus A Twist of Faith was also on my radar, and I believe that covers the first few books of the relaunch. :)
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Isn't that the truth! Without wanting to drop spoilers, Starbase Deep Space 9 will never be the same again....!

I've seen the covers of the newer books, so I see *something* happened to Terok Nor. :(;)
  • Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    mhall85 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm very hesitant about any of the Trek books, to be honest. I don't like the direction most of the authors take (fan service pushed to 11, I guess).
    I get this sentiment - I've never gone in for Trek books. Duane's work is a singular exception, especially the first two books. She did a great job of adding depth to the original vision of the Romulan race - she worked closely with D.C. Fontana, who was largely responsible for the Vulcans and their Rihannsu cousins. The later books came after people begged her to 'finish' the timeline. I own and read them because I hate not finishing a series.

As for those who complain that this series isn't 'real Romulans', I just can't understand. The only other 'Romulans' are the one-dimensional two-legged scorpions we see represented in the later Trek - the only 'character development' there was to see how creatively they could stab you in the back.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    To be honest, it's not a complaint from me exactly. I guess I just enjoyed the "one-dimensional two-legged scorpions". Although, it has to be said, "Face of the Enemy [TNG]" is a pretty damn good episode, and does a lot to add much more depth to these admittedly not-very-subtlely-portrayed bad guys.

I met Carolyn Seymour once, at a London Trek convention about 10 years ago. She had set out a stall in the corridor, away from the hustle and bustle of the main hall. Quietly, with no fuss. A smattering of people popped by for a signature, but I was absolutely awestruck. Taris/Toreth - two of my favourite characters in TNG (and a memorable moment in B5). I bought a photo of her, and in a quavering voice, asked her if she could sign it, which she did with a dazzling smile. I then said, "you're my favourite Romulan".

Pathetic.

If I'm honest, its because of Carolyn and Andreas Katsulas that made me a fan of Romulans and their portrayal, one-dimensional or not.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    As for those who complain that this series isn't 'real Romulans', I just can't understand. The only other 'Romulans' are the one-dimensional two-legged scorpions we see represented in the later Trek - the only 'character development' there was to see how creatively they could stab you in the back.

They aren't backstabbing in the books enough? ;)

But more seriously, in the books they seem a rigid society, where which way you look seems to have a meaning, and must be absolutely proper for your position in that society or you're doomed. I didn't get that from any of the shows, neither TOS or later. And I do realise we had a chance to see the military setting - which was more relaxed than what I see in the book for civilians. O.o

I'm not completely happy how the Romulans are presented in "modern" Treklit (as in, TNG and post timeline), but I like their culture more than this rigid "know you place and don't breath too fast, because your positions doesn't allow it" setting.

But, as I said, I'm still reading, so my opinion may land in a rubbish bin soon ;)

I met Carolyn Seymour once, at a London Trek convention about 10 years ago. She had set out a stall in the corridor, away from the hustle and bustle of the main hall. Quitely, with no fuss. A smattering of people popped by for a signature, but I was absolutely awestruck. Taris/Toreth - two of my favourite characters in TNG (and a memorable moment in B5). I bought a photo of her, and in a quavering voice, asked her if she could sign it, which she did with a dazzling smile. I then said, "you're my favourite Romulan".

I'd do the same! :D

Toreth is my quintessential Romulan, just like Spock is my quintessential Vulcan :)
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I asked the same question here not long ago.
    Started reading it, but got sidetracked. Thanks for the reminder.
    I think ill get back to it tonight.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    greendragon527greendragon527 Member Posts: 386 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Well, this was all based on the TOS Romulans, not the TNG Romulans, and probably a bit of the FASA game lore.
  • Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    To be honest, it's not a complaint from me exactly. I guess I just enjoyed the "one-dimensional two-legged scorpions". Although, it has to be said, "Face of the Enemy [TNG]" is a pretty damn good episode, and does a lot to add much more depth to these admittedly not-very-subtlely-portrayed bad guys.
    Not sure I saw that one. My interest came and went repeatedly during TNG/DS9 era, then ran for the hills with Voyager.
    If I'm honest, its because of Carolyn and Andreas Katsulas that made me a fan of Romulans and their portrayal, one-dimensional or not.
    Oh, there was nothing one-dimensional about Andreas - I'm not sure he could *do* a flat character. Admittedly, he tried in "The Fugitive". ;)
    They aren't backstabbing in the books enough? ;)
    Heh, true, but at least there you get to see *why*, as opposed to the whole mustache-twirling cartoon evil-ness. I may not have liked [name redacted for spoilers], but Diane at least made me see his motives.
    But more seriously, in the books they seem a rigid society, where which way you look seems to have a meaning, and must be absolutely proper for your position in that society or you're doomed. I didn't get that from any of the shows, neither TOS or later. And I do realise we had a chance to see the military setting - which was more relaxed than what I see in the book for civilians. O.o
    Not certain I agree here - I think this aspect was an expansion of comments made by Mark Lenard's Romulan Commander in 'Balance of Terror'. There was a lot about that character that echoed the bushido code, which makes the parallel to feudal Japanese culture.

Why the Klingons ended up morphing into Trek's samurai, I'll never get.
    I'm not completely happy how the Romulans are presented in "modern" Treklit (as in, TNG and post timeline), but I like their culture more than this rigid "know you place and don't breath too fast, because your positions doesn't allow it" setting.
    Just keep in mind, you are seeing Rihannsu society from a specific viewpoint in 'The Romulan Way'. There's good reason for that protagonist to see the society as very rigid and stratified. Afraid to elaborate here - I'd hate to spoil anything. ;)

And I don't really see much FASA lore in Duane's work. But then, much as I loved playing FASA Trek, the Rom lore in there was ... less than stellar.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2015

From the newer Trek novels, I didn't read many.

A Stitch in Time is a pretty good book. But when it comes to Cardassians, I really recommend the Neverending Sacrifice. It gives a lot of insights in the Cardassian society and also deals with Cardassian before, during and after the Dominion War.

I don't remember if I read the Rihannsu books. I read a lot of Diane Duane's books and I think I liked pretty much every one of them. Maybe the least liked might be the TNG Mirror story.
    BUt generally speaking, I was always more a fan of the TOS novels. TNG or DS9 novels never seemed as good, which may be due to me knowing the characters so much better and many of the novels I read being written before the authors really understood the characters...

But then, I read up on Memory Beta on the Destiny stuff in the post TNG/DS9/VOY area, and think maybe the stories might get better on characterization (can't tell from Memory Beta), but the plot gets worse.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    gorillachopsgorillachops Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Their contribution to Romulan 'Lore' is perhaps where their real legacy lies. The prose is good and the writer assumes and intelligent reader. I often return to 'The Romulan Way', with its incredible second chapter. It's easy to imagine Diane's characters on the screen.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2015

But then, I read up on Memory Beta on the Destiny stuff in the post TNG/DS9/VOY area, and think maybe the stories might get better on characterization (can't tell from Memory Beta), but the plot gets worse.

I used to quite enjoy DS9 novels, up to Warpath (as guljarol also mentioend), then it got lost along the way. However, my guilty secret is the DS9 "Millennium" Trilogy, with the War of the Prophets. It even has the Romulans playing the good guys! (of sorts). ;) Indeed, one of my BOFFs is based on their Bions .

Don't judge me!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Indeed, one of my BOFFs is based on their Bions .

Don't judge me!

Any chance for a screenshot? :D
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Any chance for a screenshot? :D

When I get home from work, I'll see what I can do ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    When I get home from work, I'll see what I can do ;)

Here we go :)
  • Options
    catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Not something I'd recommend, personally. They have very little in common with the Romulans from the shows, so the come off as a bit fanfiction-y for me. Obviously it's been quite a disappointment for me that Cryptic is cleaving so close to the Rihannsu portrayals rather than the portrayals from the shows (like every other Trek game out there).

For me, the Romulans were defined by characters such as Letant, Tomalak, Taris, and Toreth (my favorite).
  • Options
    tolmariustolmarius Member Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Not something I'd recommend, personally. They have very little in common with the Romulans from the shows, so the come off as a bit fanfiction-y for me. Obviously it's been quite a disappointment for me that Cryptic is cleaving so close to the Rihannsu portrayals rather than the portrayals from the shows (like every other Trek game out there).

For me, the Romulans were defined by characters such as Letant, Tomalak, Taris, and Toreth (my favorite).

Nevermind the fact that the Rihannsu Romulans are a fleshed out, complete people, and not nearly one dimensional stage villains, like TomaLax.
    3T6cHqb.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    tolmarius wrote: »
    Nevermind the fact that the Rihannsu Romulans are a fleshed out, complete people, and not nearly one dimensional stage villains, like TomaLax.
    That's your opinion, and nothing more.

If you think Tomalak was one-dimensional, you obviously haven't actually watched any episodes in which he actually appeared.
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited June 2015

Toreth was great. One of the few times we saw a Romulan on the other side of the viewscreen. She played her character as a strong commander, while appearing just as 'normal' as anyone on the Starfleet side would. I felt Toreth allowed us to see that not all Romulans were the sideshow villains that the Tal'Shiar had us believe.

There needed to be something done, if the Romulans were to be expanded upon. Duane's works are lagely considered the leading source of Romulan lore. Definitely not canon, but some of the most prominent soft-canon available - or at the very least, some of the most well-developed lore. If Cryptic went off on their own route and ignored the Rihannsu series, I think there'd be a lot more complaints about the direction the Romulans in STO are going. Better to base off of existing credible works, rather than reinvent the wheel entirely.

I'm working my way through the books. Enjoying them so far.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

If you think Tomalak was one-dimensional, you obviously haven't actually watched any episodes in which he actually appeared.

If you think that, you clearly don't understand the concept of differing viewpoints.
    3T6cHqb.png
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    chipg7 wrote: »
    There needed to be something done, if the Romulans were to be expanded upon. Duane's works are lagely considered the leading source of Romulan lore. Definitely not canon, but some of the most prominent soft-canon available - or at the very least, some of the most well-developed lore. If Cryptic went off on their own route and ignored the Rihannsu series, I think there'd be a lot more complaints about the direction the Romulans in STO are going. Better to base off of existing credible works, rather than reinvent the wheel entirely.

I'm working my way through the books. Enjoying them so far.

TNG/DS9 gave plenty to work off of. There was plenty that could be reasonably extrapolated from what we saw on the shows, and more importantly, has been in numerous other works-most importantly other games. Making Romulan content that followed the shows rather than the books has never been a problem, nor has there ever been any controversy when they did so at the expense of Diane's books.

The status of Diane's books as the 'soft canon' holy writ on all things Romulan for all Romulan fans is far from fixed.

Heck, Gene himself supposedly had plenty of problems with them and tried to keep them from getting published.

The shows themselves also frequently contradict her books, as do other Trek books.
    tolmarius wrote: »

If you think that, you clearly don't understand the concept of differing viewpoints.

So pointing out that your hating TNG era Romulans is just your viewpoint, shows that I don't understand the concept of differing viewpoints? Okaaaay.....:rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    chipg7 wrote: »

This is the key point. They couldn't just reinvent Romulans entirely. They needed something to work off of. And the TOS era Romulans as illustrated in Diane Duane's Rihannsu series are simply far more appealing to most people then the Romulan society shown in TNG. A race of survivors, fighting to reclaim their peoples heritage and honor is far more appealing than a race of unapologetic militarists, adhering to the phrase "Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, niente contro lo Stato." and wishing to ressurect the supremacy of their fallen police state.
    3T6cHqb.png
  • Options
    chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    TNG/DS9 gave plenty to work off of.

Right. And and a good chunk of the cast of characters from TNG/DS9 are seen / referenced or have inspired things in STO. And the plotline of STO takes Nemesis as a starting point for the Romulan shakeup. References to a well-constructed and generally well-received book series isn't in itself a huge problem.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Again (as I wrote in the part of my post immediately below the part you quoted) it is when it is so disconnected from the Rest of Trek canon.

Rihhansu Romulans have a tenuous connection to TOS, but aside from that, have been basically ignored by the shows. For good reason, IMO.