test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lohlunat Festival tips and help for first timers

zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,782 Arc User
edited June 2015 in The Academy
So I am asking you guys for any kinds of helpful ideas for folks new to the Lohlunat Festival.

Like this one old thread that I found has some good help on the - Dance Party!

Now here are my thoughts for someone trying this Event for the first time. Or I should say for those that are cash poor on trying this Event for the first time as I am.

The first thing I noticed is that without a Floater or Powerboard, I could not do some of the Event Missions. While you may rent either of these, as I did, it's 1000 EC and that seems to just barely cover the time for the event. I suggest skipping the rentals and doing two other missions first until you earned what you need in Lohlunat Favors to buy the permanent versions of Risian travel devices.

Here are the things that anyone can do easily with renting equipment.

1) Dance Party! is easy to do and offers two new dance emotes. This is done at the Resort near where you beam down.

Talk to the Dance Instructor located just in side the front of the hotel just off the dance floor ( Use you map to locate him or her ) See the link above and post # 6 for detailed info. If you complete the contest and do ever step correctly, you get 100 LF

2) is also easy and can be done every 15 minutes and once an hour for bonus LF. This is done on the beach, nearest the Promenade, so you can beam there with ease. On beam in, just walk/run forward and jump over the Promenade railing to land near the Risian Arenologist in front of the Promenade to pick up the mission, then head out on the beach. You're looking for a glowing sand bucket. Stand near enough to activate Castle location as yours, then begin gathering the sand for your castle. Once you gather enough sand to start you castle, a timer begins. Run back to the bucket and lay the base for the castle. Follow pop ups for the next step and watch for caution pop ups like a swarm of insects or a monkey that will suddenly destroy your castle in the making. Take care of these immediately unless your very fast, you'll need to start over. Once the crisis has passed, continue building your castle until completed. If the timer runs out, you will be allow to restart.

Castles in the Sand can be done every 15 minute, but once an hour the LF prizes are bigger.

I don't think I have the skills to explain how to build each type of Castle, but if you can make all six, you can begin building monuments for your Faction (Fed/Kling/Rom).

Now if you've been part of STO for longer than me ( I've only been here since Jan so still basically a noob ), and you have ideas on how a beginner can do better, please post them.

I am absolutely certain these thoughts on the festival can be improved upon. :)

A good Flying High strategy comes to mind. Also, a good strategy for Accolades would be nice, too.

btw - If I put this thread in the wrong section, apologizes. Feel free to move it as needed. ;)

Edit - Info for the Castle Builders out there.
f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    For the record:

The "basic" powerboard and floater, aka permanent-owned rental level gear, are 50 favors each.

Dance party, which is run on the hour at the top of the hour, pays 100 for a full completion after their "raising of favor payouts per activity" this year. Quick trip to the floater and powerboard vendors (or raid of reputations - events tab - store) can nab you both basic items to help you get around Risa and all the events "relatively easily".

Don't expect to win the PvP race with regularity on the basic board, but hey, you can at least still run the race (and it only takes 3 rounds with the "completion" prize) enough to start on the feather monkeys.

Depending on your mood, the second thing you should buy would be a singular Risian foodstuff to feed to a tribble to make the lolhunat tribble - which increases speed & control while using the floater & powerboard...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,782 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    See, right there. I'm already learning things. Should have done the dancing first. :D

I knew about the birds, but didn't know about the monkeys. If I get one of those, my Science guys will be busy all Summer. :)

Found an egg during the Horga'hn Hunt. Already working on a bird. I guess I should have mentioned that. :rolleyes:

You can find eggs on the Horga'hn Hunt. It's not mentioned on the Wiki but I did find one.

Edit - I was wrong. It is mentioned on the wiki.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Here are my recommendations for first timers:

The trick to earning favors is doubling up on the event with alts:
    You can easily get three or four alts to finish castles during the bonus time. With basic floaters you can have two finish the horgahn hunt and a third get a few spots (each spot gives 2-5 favors plus a chance for an egg). If you start the dance party right at the beginning, a second alt can get the 10 favor award too.

If you don't like the power board race or the dance party, those are great times to make extra sand castles with fewer people crowding the spots.

In general, you only need one character with a power board unless you really like the event or want pet monkeys on multiple alts.

Basic floaters are handy on all alts you will run the horgahn hunt with.

The superior floater costs 1,500 favors. If you can run three alts through the horgahn hunt with these, you earn 75*3 + ~3*30 (between 2 and 5 per horgahn) = 315 per event = ~5 horgahn hunts to earn a profit on one superior floater ~ 14 to pay back all three.

In general, if you don't crave the costumes NAO NAO NAO!!!1!!11one!!1 then sell favors you earn, don't use them, until about Monday of the last week. Buy them Monday and Tuesday while the price is bottomed out, get the costumes then and sell all the rest on weds night when people panic about not getting everything they want and are willing to pay through the nose for them.

As an example, last summer I sold about 12,000 favors for an average of 3,600 each in the beginning of the event. I then bought back 8,000 in the last week for 1,500 each. Sold another 6,000 right at the end for 2,800 each. Got everything I wanted and well over 40million ec.

The first two days of the event favors were selling for over 6,000 each. This morning they were 4,500 each. They will probably get close to 2,000 but might not ever get as cheap as last year. Now is a good time to sell.

This means that one 20 favor sand castle earns about 90k ec. The 50 earns 225k. And if you can manage 5 castles during the bonus that's well over a million ec. Pulling three successful hurgahn hunts in one round is worth 1.4million ec.

But the price will be lower tonight, lower again tomorrow, etc. So sell now, get your goodies later.
    edited June 2015
    If you can tear yourself away from the contests, the devs hid a lot of easter eggs around Risa.

There are parrots on perches scattered about. If you approach them you are prompted to "enjoy the view" and see a cool vbista shot of the area.

On the beach in front of the resort(opposite side from the docks) during the day there is a guy named Pavel who has a four round hide and seek game.

The east side of the island at night has a bonfire party you can join in for an accolade, but only at night.

Impersonators of worf and dax have an authentic Klingon vs trill argument on the docks in the evening.

There are supposed to be fireworks but they seem buggy.

A small band of Klingon warriors ended up on the north side of the island and haven't figured out this whole relaxation thing.
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    There are really only 2 types of reward really worth pursuing during Lohlunat: marks & DOffs.
    The entire point of the feather monkey tags and bird eggs is to raise critters to adulthood & sell them for a true choice of marks. This is extremely helpful when grinding out reputations or adding to fleet projects!

The Lohlunat favors are good for buying DOffs and for the first time, Risan kit modules. Sure, you'll likely spend some during the event to upgrade your summer gear (powerboards, floaters), in order to make it easier to earn the tags & eggs. Some people would rather spend the favors on vanity items, and if your roster is already replete with VR DOffs, by all means enjoy!

New players should be mindful that DOffs can't be purchased until their captains achieve the "Master Relaxer" accolade, which is the culmination of several other summer accolades (you can find the list on the accolades tab of the game menu or STOWiki). For what it's worth, my newest Delta toon reached "Master Relaxer" on the third day of the event... :)
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited June 2015

The superior floater costs 1,500 favors. If you can run three alts through the horgahn hunt with these, you earn 75*3 + ~3*30 (between 2 and 5 per horgahn) = 315 per event = ~5 horgahn hunts to earn a profit on one superior floater ~ 14 to pay back all three.

Actually the Superior floaters and Superior Powerboards only cost 1000 favors with the slightly lower Enhanced versions costing 500 favors, only the new Pitbull Powerboard and Superior Faction versions of Powerboard cost 1500 favors.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2015
    kapla1755 wrote: »
    Actually the Superior floaters and Superior Powerboards only cost 1000 favors with the slightly lower Enhanced versions costing 500 favors, only the new Pitbull Powerboard and Superior Faction versions of Powerboard cost 1500 favors.

I sit corrected. Thank you. So that's only three hunts each or 9 total to recoup three superior floaters.

The power boards reward so few favors you'll likely never recoup them in one event (especially given how nasty the people are behaving this year). The value there is the monkeys for pets or for marks.
  • kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited June 2015
    I sit corrected. Thank you. So that's only three hunts each or 9 total to recoup three superior floaters.

The power boards reward so few favors you'll likely never recoup them in one event (especially given how nasty the people are behaving this year). The value there is the monkeys for pets or for marks.

Personally I got a nice Powerboard for my 3 - Delta recruits to play with, but the powerboard race is frankly more hassle than its worth, better to raise birds for marks, build sand castles, do the dance competition and Horg'n hunt if your interested in favors.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2015
    Never even occurred to me to sell my Lohlunat Favor for EC. Something to think about. :)
    edited June 2015
    Never even occurred to me to sell my Lohlunat Favor for EC. Something to think about. :)

I am an ebil marketer from city of heroes, trained by the infamous nethergoat himself.

Actually he just gave me some pointers in threads on the old forums haha, but it doesn't sound evil enough when you say it that way. Also, I miss nethergoat, he was awesome.

*offers toast of earl gray tea brewed with fresh market-tears in honor of COH*

In all seriousness, I noticed the first year I could sell amm my favors then buy back double or more with the money a week later. Was way faster than earning twice as many.
  • freakiumfreakium Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Save up for that superior floater which costs 1000 LF. It's a huge quality of life improvement. If you have upwards of 4 alts, the Horga'hn hunt shines when it comes to LF grinding. You can get ~400 within 15 minutes if you become an expert horga'hn hunter. Mind you that means you'll need to equip 4 toons with superior floaters.

Power board wise, there are 1000 - 1500 LF power boards that have exactly the same specs. Only the new hog board is roughly faster. The other 1500 boards are special faction boards if you wanna show off your swag.

Other than that, the other events still offer favours, just not as much. Do have fun with the event after the grind. Flying around in a floater or surfing the waters is pure bliss.
    m12Pkoj.png
    edited June 2015
    Yeah, flying is the thing I miss most from Champs. :)

That and picking up 18-Wheelers and tossing them like cardboard boxes. Fun stuff. :D
  • iamviperswhipiamviperswhip Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I bought the second floater and yes, okay, it gets you there faster, but damn if I don't overshoot things all the time, I actually prefer taking it slow there lol

I can't get the stupid fireworks accolade for some reason, maybe I am standing in the wrong spot.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    One thing i'd recommend is the first thing buy should be a superior floater.
    The extra speed and maneuverability it offers makes most of the other activities far easier to complete and just getting around become much easier and faster e.g.

1) the daily race/floater course become a cake-walk and can be done in seconds.
    2) the Horgh'a hunts can become super quick once you learn a set "route" to get 10.
    3) getting around between places become super quick.

Sandcastles.
    Another thing about the sandcastles that's not been mentioned: you can build your castle at any time and not turn it in until the bonus event is on. This way you can build during a quiet time and turn in for bonus marks later when the building spots are harder to come by with more players building.

Dance Party.
    Always pin the emotes list on your hud, make this far easier to do than keeping needing to bring it up or type instructions in chat.
    SulMatuul.png
  • freakiumfreakium Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    You get the fireworks accolade by standing on the platform leading to the floater merchant and the "Flying High" mission girl. Just stand around there during night time and it should appear. It's also a good chance to witness the Trill arguing with the Klingon.
    m12Pkoj.png
    edited June 2015
    freakium wrote: »
    You get the fireworks accolade by standing on the platform leading to the floater merchant and the "Flying High" mission girl. Just stand around there during night time and it should appear. It's also a good chance to witness the Trill arguing with the Klingon.

Thank you very much, the map I found that was perfect for everything else has it in the wrong spot then.
    edited June 2015
    I bought the second floater and yes, okay, it gets you there faster, but damn if I don't overshoot things all the time, I actually prefer taking it slow there lol

I can't get the stupid fireworks accolade for some reason, maybe I am standing in the wrong spot.

I got near the floater rental place. Where the boardwalk curve up. I stood right there on the top of the curve. :)

Also, sometimes it only fixes itself if you switch instances. :rolleyes:
    edited June 2015
    I got near the floater rental place. Where the boardwalk curve up. I stood right there on the top of the curve. :)

Also, sometimes it only fixes itself if you switch instances. :rolleyes:

Also, some instances seem buggy. I've been on the docks at the right time and heard the fireworks, but they weren't visible and I didn't get the accolade. I had to jump around and find a different instance and do it again (standing in the exact same spot) to get the accolade.
    edited June 2015
    Also, some instances seem buggy. I've been on the docks at the right time and heard the fireworks, but they weren't visible and I didn't get the accolade. I had to jump around and find a different instance and do it again (standing in the exact same spot) to get the accolade.

Double thumbs up with a bow tie for the accolade.
    edited June 2015

^.^

/10 char
  • bdunaway67bdunaway67 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Great tips, but as a new player my only advice is to NOT turn the event into a farm fest, unless that's your thing of course. I do the events, but I also explore the area just for the fun of it. I've played a lots of MMO events but must say this is of very high quality. Really feels like my character is on vacation, which is great but that is definitely not the case for RL. :)

Great thread, Thanks.
    edited June 2015
    bdunaway67 wrote: »
    Great tips, but as a new player my only advice is to NOT turn the event into a farm fest, unless that's your thing of course. I do the events, but I also explore the area just for the fun of it. I've played a lots of MMO events but must say this is of very high quality. Really feels like my character is on vacation, which is great but that is definitely not the case for RL. :)

Great thread, Thanks.

Well, the accolades will guide you around. Not sure you will be thrilled though, like the 4th spot you go to for Hide and Seek there are some pavilions there with tables and such, I've never noticed any people there though.

Still, I have taken to now just going back when my fly high timer is up and doing whatever events are on either side of that.
    edited June 2015
    bdunaway67 wrote: »

Great thread, Thanks.

Cruising around on a power board, then swapping to the floater and launching yourself out of control forward at high speed never gets old.

I spend a lot of time just flying around Risa or power boarding for the fun of it.
    edited June 2015
    westmetals wrote: »
    I actually got it the other night while doing "Flyin' High" on the "buzz the dance floor" course.

THAT WAS YOU? :mad:

jk :: shrug ::
    edited June 2015
    Don't know if it has been mentioned, but I just figured out that when you're doing the Horga'hn Hunt, you can use Scan to help locate those hard to find Horga'hns. It also helps you determine if the is elevated or at ground level.

Glad I spotted another seeker scanning. It really improves my time searching. :)
    edited June 2015
    Don't know if it has been mentioned, but I just figured out that when you're doing the Horga'hn Hunt, you can use Scan to help locate those hard to find Horga'hns. It also helps you determine if the is elevated or at ground level.

Glad I spotted another seeker scanning. It really improves my time searching. :)

Each horgahn spawns in one of two locations, you can quickly learn to recognize them all.

Also some are linked so if you get one spot, you know where the next will always be.
    edited June 2015
    Each horgahn spawns in one of two locations, you can quickly learn to recognize them all.

Also some are linked so if you get one spot, you know where the next will always be.

I'm starting to figure that out, but some are in deep grass or between tree trunks. I often drop down just to make the pick up easier. :o
    > @westmetals said:
    > zedbrightlander1 wrote: »
    >
    > As for if it was me... I've only taken one toon to Risa. An otherwise human-looking "alien" delta recruit with skin set as white as possible. And a name lifted from a rather recent series of films. And I tend to be there... well around now or even later.
    >
    > EDI: As for a strategy for "Flyin' High"... there really isn't and can't be one, as the courses vary. However, if you're up against the time limit, you can shave some time off by using the site-to-site transport when you are ready to return to turn it in (to the Resort). Same thing works for Horgahn Hunt, though that can be turned in remotely. For sandcastles, the same except it's Promenade, not Resort.

For sand castles, I find grabbing the mission when you log in then site-to-site to the promenade and run north is pretty reliable. Even on the crowded maps most people only check the south castle spots and leave the north one open.

I usually manage 4 or 5 castles in the bonus time.
  • drakonlord56drakonlord56 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Google Risa accolades and get the maps as to where everything is located, and get the master Relaxer title. This opens up the purple doffs and you can get both geologist. Both of them will give you 25% chance to crit when raising birds, and get the tufted ones.

You'll want to get the superior floater so you can around quicker which leaves you with extra time to do the sand castles. That's 20 a pop, and 50 during bonus time.

Board racing needs fixing, but with a cheap board you can earn 15 favors a pop, plus monkey tags to raise monkeys, and trade in for marks the ones you don't want. In three of four days I have all the doffs, a costume, and a horga'hn pet :) (I'm not big on griding).
    edited June 2015
    I completely forgot about those doffs. Thanks for the reminder.

Edit - Just realized that I can't find them. Who sells them? :|
    Post edited by zedbrightlander1 on