Install Arc
Options

why so hostile to new players?

124»

Comments

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Ok then lets get rid of the red matter cap, and other things that can no longer be gotten. Lets get rid of them permanently too!
    While we are at it lets get rid of the cheats that certain people have, that others cannot. If you got to have mulitple omni beams before the fix patch how is that fair? How is that balanced?
    So you cannot see the problem?

Honestly, I don't see your posting having any relevance to the topic at hoof, but I try to respond to it. Why should the RMC and other, no longer obtainable items be removed from the game? The ships are still there for people who got them. New players get new ships which are even superior to the old ones. Some people have limited time offers, some people don't. That's just the way it is. Balance is not an issue in STO and never has been, frankly. So I see that some exclusive items which have noticable gameplay features seem to cause a certain imbalance, but then again those people paid a long time ago a lot of money for these, something that I didn't think was worth it at the time - and still isn't.
    Two of these ships had special items that came with them. Items that are needed for sets to be complete. These sets are still available in the game for even new players to try to aquire. But they will soon realize that they cannot finish the set because the final peice is on a ship they cannot get. Also putting it in the lobi store to force them to buy and open lock boxes is stupid, the rest of us didn't have to do it...why should they be penalized.

I understand the frustration, but then again those sets are neither mandatory nor the end-to-all. It's just a set a new player cannot complete just like uniform bits and peices they can no longer get. There will be new ones.
    Another point is they wanted you to buy more ship slots. How do you buy more ship slots when you can now delete it and just re-aquire it? This is basically the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Or better yet the right hand is giving you candy while the left is slicing its own wrist. This is just what we've been seeing since DR began coming out...so lets look out how its happened.
    1) boffs can now learn any ability. You do not have to buy extra boff spaces...because you wont need them. There were special boff only abilites and so you had to look for that boff and add them to your roster. You would need to buy more boff spaces.

Are you.. complaining you need less ship slots?
    2) R&D revamp: This made uncommon, and rare items useless. This also made any reward you got useless as you leveled. This is the same mistake cryptic made in Neverwinter...and I saw it coming. They way they thought people would use the R&D system is not how people are using it....saw that one too.
    3) Added ten new levels but they cost the same amount of experience as the first 50 you had to do. And they cut their wrist by getting rid of the level system, because they added specializations. Having a level doesn't matter. Even scaling you down to a level wont matter because it doesn't effect your specializations. When your fighting in the lower level battlezones you still get your specializations...so your at an advantage. Game balance got thrown right out the window....saw that coming too...because they did that in Neverwinter.
    4) T6 ships with a power escalation that rivals the Dragon Ball Z cartoon. Every few months a new super sayian level and new abilites are released. Free or new people are like Krillan, Yamcha, Tien Shinhan and Chiaotzu and feel useless like them.
    5) Cryptic created ship loadouts to create new ship builds. To entice people to try something other than dps builds. Then they nerfed most builds by giving Npc's x10 the hit points. This made any tetyron build useless as the special proc now is like scratching the paint. What good is 350pts to each shield facing when the ship has 50,000 points per facing? With big battles with NPC ships helping you, mostly you just let them fight and become a bystander, unless your playing a high dps build.
    That is just one of many things upping NPC hp did.

I agree with all of that. Cryptic is not very good at providing a solid game design. Some things aren't new, though - this game never had intereting drops. I especially miss sets you can collect via drops, something that entices you to actually play the game and not only grind currency and open a shop window. But that ship sailed before the beta went public, I guess.
    This isn't just at one person, this is for all those people who say, "they do not see the problem", because many of us do see them. The problems keep coming and coming and they are beginning to create a big pile.
    I and many others want this game to last, and keep going. I want to see new people join and like helping them out. I want them to get the older ships and fly them around. One may even figure out some cool new build by flying them.

I still don't see the problem with old limtited time event rewards being retired. I do see the problems STO has, of course, but none of that was relevant to the topic at claw. I was only talking about the reward thing, never mentioned one of the numerous areas this game lacks :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    qziqza wrote: »

some people are trying really hard to make this look like concern for new players..

new players, thats those new people that are happily running around Risa as we speak, making merry in sunshine with the dancing the surfing and the flying around with jet packs. constantly looking over at that shiny T6 Ferengi ship thinking 'oh yes, you will be mine, and i will love you and keep you and fly you for ever'

QFT by a new player :)

I really don't get why a veteran would feel entitled to complain about pain in their neck ridge in my name. I'm not complaining. There's still so many things I have yet to discover and do that I really am not bothered by some old ships.

[sarcasm]Isn't there a tribble that was given as a gift for opening European branch or something like that? I'll never get it! Noooooooooooo![/sarcasm]

Really? :cool:

I'm a lot more sorry about Romulan eps being removed in a revamp than some Risian ship. And I still don't go around starting threads about it :P I'm late to the party. Well, too bad, so sad... let's play!
  • Options
    ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Idk what you're so concerned about. These event ships are hardly worth using. Sure, some are fun once in a while, but they're novelties at best, and a huge waste of time at worst. Put your efforts into something that's worth it. Yeah, it kinda sucks that you'll never get to own it, but as previously mentioned, its nothing new to gaming. Limited time rewards have existed for a very long time, and its almost always the same. Once in a while, certain games (STO did this), will bring them back due to popular demand or some other scheme, so maybe you'll be able to get whatever it is later.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    After we literally had a massive event to bring in new players and offer them massive bonuses?

Seriously?

People on here were arguing a few months ago that Cryptic is TRIBBLE Older players over by giving the new players "Exclusive bonuses" and now the opposite is true?

This is like the time we had two threads on "Players level too fast" and "Levelling is too slow" at exactly the same time.

The people on these forums make me want to stomp on a kitten.

It's really easy:
    Step 1) Build a time machine
    Step 2) Fly back to the past and give all the players everythnig immediately for free immediately, for all time eternal.
    Step 3) Use your future knowledge to win a lottery and invest the money based on your time travel foreknowledge for great money.
    Step 4) Give your self the money to build a time machine.
    Step 5) Go back to 1)
    Step 6) Profit
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I don't think that's what she intends when she says"hands off the hologram" ~.^

thanks for a good 1st read of the day, i hadn't really thought of THAT interpretation.. oops, but lololol.

thankfully the coffee was still in the cafetiere and my mug was empty!!
    guljarol wrote: »
    QFT by a new player :)

I'm late to the party. Well, too bad, so sad... let's play!

lol, that is exactly how i look at these things. oh, and and thx for the /sarcasm warning earlier, sometimes i dont pick up on it.. which can be funny, or just makes me look like a half crazy bearded dude, which can also be funny.. lol

read, laughed, replied.. read, nodded head, laughed, replied, thought, laughed.. grabs towel and a book.. see you on the beach :D

tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • Options
    alex284alex284 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    regarding:

Added a store tab to the Event Reputation Store called "Account Reward Claim".

Here players will be able to claim event reputation project starship rewards earned on any character.
    For example, if a player has earned the Risian Corvette on one character, all characters on the account can claim the Risian Corvette for free from this new store.
    Also, any character on an account which has earned one of these ships can reclaim the ship for free if it has been discharged.

so the pain is not shared by all? it's just offloaded to new players? this is not a smart customer friendly policy.

Um, who cares? The t5 risian ships are not game-breakingly awesome ships. Far from it.
  • Options
    jimtkirkjimtkirk Member Posts: 0
    edited June 2015
    There is NOTHING "hostile to new players" about it. Once you EARN an event ship you will be able to claim it on all your characters and reclaim it just like older players.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    guljarol wrote: »
    [sarcasm]Isn't there a tribble that was given as a gift for opening European branch or something like that? I'll never get it! Noooooooooooo![/sarcasm]

Yes, there was.

Then it was put on the C-Store so everyone else can buy them too. :cool:
  • Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    qziqza wrote: »
    oh, and and thx for the /sarcasm warning earlier,

I wanted to make sure no one would misinterpret it, and again try to vehemently defend me from... hostile old ship simulations out there ;)

You didn't (misunderstand me), BTW, which makes me believe I was clear enough to understand me.

warpangel wrote: »
    Yes, there was.

Then it was put on the C-Store so everyone else can buy them too. :cool:

Is it? So, no tragedy, if I ever want one ;):D

Phew, the world doesn't end tomorrow after all (yeah, sarcasm again, living among Brits must be doing it to me).
  • Options
    jakal122481jakal122481 Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    New players to the game are greeted at this first event with ... here's a ship you can never ever ever EVER have. it's a turn-off. Not very nice to the new guys.

EDIT: They should be practically throwing the ships at the new players (as they complete the event requirements) not vaporizing them. This mechanic just drives the knife home for anyone new.

It's nice for older players, but ... I think the winter holiday discount mechanic was far far better. These event zones fair better when there's at least a trickle of players horsing around in them.

Don't like it? Ohwell leave. The less people we have like you the better.