test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

why so hostile to new players?

olliereportolliereport Member Posts: 721
regarding:

Added a store tab to the Event Reputation Store called "Account Reward Claim".

Here players will be able to claim event reputation project starship rewards earned on any character.
For example, if a player has earned the Risian Corvette on one character, all characters on the account can claim the Risian Corvette for free from this new store.
Also, any character on an account which has earned one of these ships can reclaim the ship for free if it has been discharged.

so the pain is not shared by all? it's just offloaded to new players? this is not a smart customer friendly policy.
Post edited by olliereport on

Comments

• Options
    apsciliaraapsciliara Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Exclusivity.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    regarding:

Here players will be able to claim event reputation project starship rewards earned on any character.
    For example, if a player has earned the Risian Corvette on one character, all characters on the account can claim the Risian Corvette for free from this new store.
    Also, any character on an account which has earned one of these ships can reclaim the ship for free if it has been discharged.

so the pain is not shared by all? it's just offloaded to new players? this is not a smart customer friendly policy.

did you read it correctly? it says that you need to earn one first before you can then claim it from the account wide store for free and even if you dump it afterwards, you can reclaim a new one from that store at a later date so long as its unlocked to the store.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    did you read it correctly? it says that you need to earn one first before you can then claim it from the account wide store for free and even if you dump it afterwards, you can reclaim a new one from that store at a later date so long as its unlocked to the store.

New players to the game are greeted at this first event with ... here's a ship you can never ever ever EVER have. it's a turn-off. Not very nice to the new guys.

EDIT: They should be practically throwing the ships at the new players (as they complete the event requirements) not vaporizing them. This mechanic just drives the knife home for anyone new.

It's nice for older players, but ... I think the winter holiday discount mechanic was far far better. These event zones fair better when there's at least a trickle of players horsing around in them.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I don't see your problem? It says if you earn an event ship you will then be able to claim it on any charcter on your account for free. Additionally, the character who earned the ship can discard and reclaim it as much as you want, the others may only claim it once (that's what I read into it, speculation. Maybe they want to encourage multiple grind? Id on't know).

If it's about the fact that old ships are retired: Yes, past events are... past. Over. Gone. Deal with it.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Why are there so many people who don't seem to understand the concept "limited time event" or "limited time reward"?

I mean, if I started playing WoW now, I'd be well aware that there'd be plenty of things I wouldn't be able to get, that went by in earlier events or patches.

Ditto with SWTOR, Guild Wars, Diablo 3, Sacred 2, and dozens of other games.

There is nothing new, surprising, or different about this. It's not an insult to new players, it's not meant to drive people away, or any of the other bizarre conspiracy theories that the professionally-offended can come up with.

It's normal. Deal with it.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    regarding:

just look at it like this, during this summer event if you do the ship mission you will get the ship but new players that come after will not be able to just get the ship for free in fact they wont be able to get it at all so you will have a thing that they will not get, same when they do the winter event and next years anniversary event and so on.

I have played plenty of games where they have given stuff away before I joined and I cant get them as they were one time unlocks, that's just the way things are with games.

if they were selling a limited edition car over a certain period you would not expect to be able to go and get one months after the car was no longer available, same here.

all these events now will be get them now or don't get them at all, with any luck you could be playing this game for five years and get 15 free ships that no newcomers will be able to get after the event is over.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I don't see your problem? It says if you earn an event ship you will then be able to claim it on any Yes, past events are... past. Over. Gone. Deal with it.

no if it can be reclaimed nonstop by a sub-population every new char

it's not quite "the past"

it's a half-measure to deal with the discontent

and in a pointed way, leaves out the one population that you might want to empower -> new people
  • Options
    zarato4218zarato4218 Member Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    These event zones fair better when there's at least a trickle of players horsing around in them.

I'm sorry, I don't actually have any advice about your OP, but I will say that you don't have to worry about this. Risa is always hopping during the summer event, there will be no shortage of players. As to the ships, yeah its rough but some ships will be unavailiable to older, but not original, players too as they have said that the original Odyssey and Bortas + Obelisk will not be included as they were one and done event ships.
    As Zephram Cochrane once said, "That'll do, pig. That'll do." - April 1st 2015. o:)
  • Options
    demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2015

and in a pointed way, leaves out the one population that you might want to empower -> new people

Which of course, the cynical might say was the point...

81 pages of rage at lolwut festival changes, when the staff rolled in the next morning, a quick meeting, and hey presto, a 'compromise' offer that was guaranteed to split the dissenters into vets with the ships gloating at getting them all for ever on all toons, and everyone else complaining about never getting them at all.

A rebellion thats divided and spends more time fighting its self than the regime, is no threat...
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
  • Options
    guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Nah... as a new player, for whom it's the first summer even, I don't feel anybody is hostile toward me. A bit shame, sure, but I'm looking forward the event and the Ferengi ship instead (my SCI toon will be very happy flying it).

I'm too excited about this "great event everybody's been talking about for weeks" to worry about a ship I wouldn't get. There's still a pokemon pet and a "greedy" ship I CAN get.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Why are there so many people who don't seem to understand the concept "limited time event" or "limited time reward"?

I mean, if I started playing WoW now, I'd be well aware that there'd be plenty of things I wouldn't be able to get, that went by in earlier events or patches.

Ditto with SWTOR, Guild Wars, Diablo 3, Sacred 2, and dozens of other games.

There is nothing new, surprising, or different about this. It's not an insult to new players, it's not meant to drive people away, or any of the other bizarre conspiracy theories that the professionally-offended can come up with.

It's normal. Deal with it.

Indeed, its part of this game's format and to sink this issue completely its not any more "hostile" to new players as old. Access is based on participation. Don't and you won't earn the ship. That applies to everyone regardless of status. A newbie is going to earn the Ferengi warship that a veteran taking a break is going to have denied to them. That's how a special event functions. Go to a convention or conference [doesn't matter for what] and you will get swag exclusive to THAT event. Someone who goes next year may not receive YOUR swag but they'll have their own comparable trinket to mark them as having been there.

The only perspective that can take issue with that is, quite frankly, greed; the idea that you [as there don't appear to be all that many newbies arguing for themselves that they're being outrageously denied anything] must have everything and that when denied its a hostile act.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    guljarol wrote: »
    There's still a pokemon pet and a "greedy" ship I CAN get.

This is a good point too. You may have had your heart set on the old Risian ships for a "privateer" but the Nandi would make a pretty good ship for this archetype too. Not to mention its Tier 6. Also if you don't like the colors don't forget it will probably have more than one hull material. And hopefully it will have the D'Kora bridge which has all sorts of usefull things too... I really have my fingers crossed on that one, please Cryptic, please. :D
    As Zephram Cochrane once said, "That'll do, pig. That'll do." - April 1st 2015. o:)
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    zarato4218 wrote: »
    This is a good point too. You may have had your heart set on the old Risian ships for a "privateer" but the Nandi would make a pretty good ship for this archetype too. Not to mention its Tier 6. Also if you don't like the colors don't forget it will probably have more than one hull material. And hopefully it will have the D'Kora bridge which has all sorts of usefull things too.

And for those seriously interested in that archetype there are Orion and Nausicaan ships in the C-store. There are alternatives for all the event ships, these aren't necessary gameplay features (though added Nandi bridge functions would be a very nice thing indeed.) Its just swag. :)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I am upset with the fact that cryptic is so hostile to old time players.
    I can't play lotteries or gamble therefore I can't have those ships.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    guljarol wrote: »
    Nah... as a new player, for whom it's the first summer even, I don't feel anybody is hostile toward me. A bit shame, sure, but I'm looking forward the event and the Ferengi ship instead (my SCI toon will be very happy flying it).

I'm too excited about this "great event everybody's been talking about for weeks" to worry about a ship I wouldn't get. There's still a pokemon pet and a "greedy" ship I CAN get.

Good for you, that's the spirit! And if I may add, welcome to STO!

As a not new-player, am looking forward to the summer event myself and some of the new goodies myself. I missed last year's event, but I don't see it as hostile either. Besides, the tech issue that kept me from enjoying the event last year was resolved. Cryptic did well, kept attentive with their tech support lol; no complaints. :)
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited June 2015

So much self entitlement in this post its oozing out of your ears.

So, because you're a 'new player,' you should be the top priority? There should be no rewards for people who have been here for years and done all these events? Tell me what it is about you that makes you so special that you should have on day one, everything it took the rest of us months or even years to get?

Veteran players deserve to have something to show for their time and effort. As you play longer, you will earn things as well, things that new comers won't have. New players are great, but they're not more or less important then long time players. You want the items, play the game and earn them. You have no right or claim to limited event items you didn't earn.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Because they've grown up in an era where everyone gets the "Participation Trophy".

Where we focus on how having a 'winner' is unfair to everyone else.

Where being exceptional is derided as 'elitism'.

Where so-called "experts" can claim with a straight face that reading to your child at bedtime is giving them an unfair advantage over children who are not blessed with parents that give a rat's TRIBBLE about them. (Yes, I *actually* read that article and it truly sickened me)
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    I dont see your problem. If they dont retire the currency and the ship, you can get it next year. Cryptic throws out 3-4 ships a year for new players (Summer, Winter, Featured Episodes). There should be one time you can play and get one.

Where so-called "experts" can claim with a straight face that reading to your child at bedtime is giving them an unfair advantage over children who are not blessed with parents that give a rat's TRIBBLE about them. (Yes, I *actually* read that article and it truly sickened me)

Well, technically ... :D:D:D
    Do you have a link?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    And for those seriously interested in that archetype there are Orion and Nausicaan ships in the C-store. There are alternatives for all the event ships, these aren't necessary gameplay features (though added Nandi bridge functions would be a very nice thing indeed.) Its just swag. :)

Sadly, I think OP said his new character was a Fed, otherwise those would have been perfect. Still it might be something to consider for a future character. I myself have a KDF Orion who works "with" but not "for" the KDF. :rolleyes: She uses a Samsar as: 1. it was free and 2. with the Orion hull pattern it almost looks like a pirate ship.

By the way, and off topic, has anyone ever noticed that if you look straight at the front of a Samsar with the wings on, it looks a bit like an emaciated head or skull. :eek: Kinda creepy considering how the Kobali reproduce. :D
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The fact that whoever made that exclusivity decision's still dangling the 3 Winter Wonderland Breen Ships along with the Qmendations as the carrots on the stick 1 whole year only to probably announce their retirement 5 seconds before it goes live speaks for itself. Even if only the T5U Breen ships vanish for new players, it'll ruin the set bonus on the Sarr Theln, and there won't be a lobi version of those to complete the set as is the case with the Dysons (nevermind the fact that lobi store unlocks are per character, making an account-wide unlock C-store punishing for alts.)
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    New players have a lot more to worry about than obsolete ships -- which most of the event ships are, apart from the most recent handful (breen carrier, kobali scrapheap, and so on.. the t6s).

If I were a new player I would be a lot more concerned about the ability to get rep gear tokens (borg processors, etc) than obsolete ships. I would be concerned about earning the resources to get *any* viable ship for 50+ content in time to be able to actually put up a fight against the 50+ content (have you tried doing 50+ in a free level 40 ship with green gear as a new player yet??? Its doable as an expert, but take away game know-how on top of this and its near impossible..). I would be concerned about enjoying the game for my first play-through, seeing new stuff and learning the mechanics.

In short, the last thing on my mind would be some kind of jealousy about something someone earned years ago that has no practical value beyond cosmetics.
  • Options
    karr007karr007 Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Hostile to new players? Are you out of your Vulcan mind? First we had the delta recruit and now the new players can get free T6 ship that is not bad. I mean come on these are special events or special offers - you can't blame the devs that you missed them. I play from 2012 and only have two event ships so i am grateful that these won't be character locked anymore. I also plan to get the Nandi since it looks very nice for one of my alts.
  • Options
    staticharge5347staticharge5347 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    So much self entitlement in this post its oozing out of your ears.

You have to understand that World of ******** just lost 3 million subs in less than 4 months. I played that game for almost 10 years. If there's one thing I know about the WoW population, it's that they are the most self entitled crowd I have ever seen. They truly believe they deserve to everything handed to them for as minimal effort as possible. Because Blizzard did exactly that. Once the mass exodus happened, people had to find other games to infe... I mean play. I wouldn't worry too much though, many of them won't stick around for long when they realize they have to put in a little work for their rewards.
  • Options
    xtern1tyxtern1ty Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Which of course, the cynical might say was the point...

81 pages of rage at lolwut festival changes, when the staff rolled in the next morning, a quick meeting, and hey presto, a 'compromise' offer that was guaranteed to split the dissenters into vets with the ships gloating at getting them all for ever on all toons, and everyone else complaining about never getting them at all.

A rebellion thats divided and spends more time fighting its self than the regime, is no threat...

Rage threads are bit off-topic isn't it? We're not talking about them here are we? Your opinion may be right but I wasn't at their meeting so I have no idea what they said, how long it took, or their reasons, nor do I pretend otherwise...

Since we are off topic, taken literally someone might consider that sig of yours offensive, considering the world we live in... just saying.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    noroblad wrote: »
    New players have a lot more to worry about than obsolete ships -- which most of the event ships are, apart from the most recent handful (breen carrier, kobali scrapheap, and so on.. the t6s).

If I were a new player I would be a lot more concerned about the ability to get rep gear tokens (borg processors, etc) than obsolete ships. I would be concerned about earning the resources to get *any* viable ship for 50+ content in time to be able to actually put up a fight against the 50+ content (have you tried doing 50+ in a free level 40 ship with green gear as a new player yet??? Its doable as an expert, but take away game know-how on top of this and its near impossible..). I would be concerned about enjoying the game for my first play-through, seeing new stuff and learning the mechanics.

In short, the last thing on my mind would be some kind of jealousy about something someone earned years ago that has no practical value beyond cosmetics.

Free T5-U's are still better than some lvl 40 T5's, the Chel Grett is no slouch, if you like light-cruiser/destroyer crossovers.

As for 50+ content in a lvl 40 freebie, yeah I've done that, though not with green gear, I invested in purple 12's on the exchange for my first toon.

And my Delta Recruit? She's lvl 60, and flys a T5 Patrol Escort. With the Risian Event store unlocks on old event ships, she'll pick up a kobali, and all 3 breens, so 2 T6's and 2 T5-U's to choose from as replacements for that under spec fed bucket of bolts.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    zarato4218 wrote: »
    By the way, and off topic, has anyone ever noticed that if you look straight at the front of a Samsar with the wings on, it looks a bit like an emaciated head or skull. :eek: Kinda creepy considering how the Kobali reproduce. :D

lol, zombie pirate ship of the damned is a great angle for it. :)
  • Options
    vedauwoovedauwoo Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    xtern1ty wrote: »
    Since we are off topic, taken literally someone might consider that sig of yours offensive, considering the world we live in... just saying.

Sounds like *someone* is overly sensitive....

Honestly....does no one learn the old "sticks and stones" rhyme any longer.....

Speech is not a weapon.....speech only "hurts" the stupid. :P
  • Options
    edited June 2015

I know right. :D Gives a whole new depth to an otherwise so-so ship. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Samsar when I got used to it, but a tac captain in a ship that can't load cannons and has a somewhat slugglish turn rate isn't ideal.

Anyway, sorry for going off topic...Carry on everyone. :cool:
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Put a breen equipment set on it for that rusted and grey semi-decrepit hulk look...
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited June 2015

The Corvette was only available for one year? Wow, my memory must really be off. I thought it had been offered for a few years.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.