test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

House Pegh Hairbrained Schemes

dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
Okay, while my little assault group was screaming "Transporter Room, bail us out now" - as a whopping two constructs was bearing down on us and we've "disposed of" far more than that in multiple single engagements as we approached that point, my character (nicknamed Admiral Kills'em'all due to the tendencies of the opponents to eventually die because of encountering me) was quickly hatching alternate plans that he would have done in that situation.

Of course, they're all "hairbrained", so that's why the thread is titled such. What I've come up with so far:

1. Since I wear an EV suit in almost half my battles (forget to swap), I would do an "EV Jump" off the ledge (She just sent her personal guards after us on the ledge, after all) using the suit thrusters to break the fall, then do a thruster-assisted tackle, grab sword, impale.
Heck, I might have done the ever so classic jump off ledge and use my Tholian (or nanopulse) sword-type implement to "break my fall" as as the weapon implants itself in the Iconian.

2. I have an android who could have executed the above plan, without need for the thrusters.

3. The away team consisted of two liberated borg. One of them being the Khitomer Accord Borg that's so far assimilated that removal of the Borg stuffs would be his death. I'm sure there's still a few assimilation nanites in those parts, and I run the 2410 Voyager bridge on a Pathfinder that's more than capable of running a portable Viniculum, I'd like to think that I found my first "inductee" to the Federation's version of the Collective.

4. Send a Male Orion (Deltan?) with Seduce.

Your ideas?
Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Likely just added drama for the next fe my friend. Hell, the whole generations movie falls in the category of "makes no sense".. Honestly" you can leave the nexus go any time, anyplace".... "OK! lets not go back to where we met sauron.. Lets go to the most inconvenient time to try and stop him abnd his unrealistically fast trilithium missile that reaches the sun in 4 seconds"
  • Options
    shaanithegreenshaanithegreen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    dareau wrote: »
    Okay, while my little assault group was screaming "Transporter Room, bail us out now" - as a whopping two constructs was bearing down on us and we've "disposed of" far more than that in multiple single engagements as we approached that point, my character (nicknamed Admiral Kills'em'all due to the tendencies of the opponents to eventually die because of encountering me) was quickly hatching alternate plans that he would have done in that situation.t

He would have died.

The Iconans can move a vessel the size of a Dyson Sphere from one galaxy to another in an instant.

The second they realized where you were - and that one of them is injured - they could have dropped half a billion frothing mad Heralds directly onto his face, from all over this galaxy and the next one. The information on how to attack the Gateway network would have been lost, and the galaxy would have fallen.
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Say "no" when Khaless comes up with his stupid plan ruining the whole operation.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    woodwhity wrote: »
    Say "no" when Khaless comes up with his stupid plan ruining the whole operation.

Well, then you'd have to come up with a plan to deal with the unstoppable demigod standing right where you need to be. Sending Klingon Jesus to distract him is as good a plan as any.

Really, the only plothole is why you didn't keep blasting it with Omega juice until it stopped twitching.
  • Options
    scurry5scurry5 Member Posts: 1,554 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Really, the only plothole is why you didn't keep blasting it with Omega juice until it stopped twitching.

I was initially expecting it to go all horribly wrong with the Omega energy supercharging the Iconian or something.

Either that, or the Sword of Kahless deciding to go all nanopulse-glowy style and then us having to retrieve it and study it.

It does kinda make me wonder if they're going to tie this in with the old Fek'lhr storyline, though.

Edit: I had also thought that, after that juicy tidbit on Sela with Iconians not being able to time-travel, that the Allies would be pumping up their existing Chroniton-based tech for the war. It's not like Chroniton torps aren't a dime a dozen anyways.

For all you know, this war's going to be the impetus behind all of them developing time-travel infrastructure.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The Iconian was alerted to where we were when that Klingon dude started screaming.

M'tara would of most likely popped in , hurling my PC around the room.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Well, then you'd have to come up with a plan to deal with the unstoppable demigod standing right where you need to be. Sending Klingon Jesus to distract him is as good a plan as any.

Unstoppable? Hahahahahahahaha.

My plan would have been to send in Glorious High Warlord Janeway.

If she wasn't stuck behind some desk she'd already have those Iconians at heel within the 3 episodes we've fought them.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Unstoppable? Hahahahahahahaha.

My plan would have been to send in Glorious High Warlord Janeway.

If she wasn't stuck behind some desk she'd already have those Iconians at heel within the 3 episodes we've fought them.

Wrong. Janeway is only a true demigod if Jerri Taylor is writing the episode.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The second they realized where you were - and that one of them is injured - they could have dropped half a billion frothing mad Heralds directly onto his face, from all over this galaxy and the next one. The information on how to attack the Gateway network would have been lost, and the galaxy would have fallen.
    Supposedly.

Then again, they could supposedly do that anywhere, anytime, yet they never do. Their gateways popping up are in fact no more efficient a delivery method than the usual warp-ins and beam-downs that every other enemy in the game use all the time.
    Yes. Never send an NPC to do a Player's job. At the very least, the player character wouldn't have died.
    Perhaps. Too bad the team didn't take advantage of it to set them up the bomb, instead of staying to watch.

And as for dealing with the boss...shooting them is the usual way.
  • Options
    phalanx01phalanx01 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Next FE you run into Kahless again and he'll claim it was just a "flesh wound". I totally see that happening you know.

Also, did Kahless hit the interstellar McDonalds a bit too much? Looked like he gained a LOT of weight O_O
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    Supposedly.

Then again, they could supposedly do that anywhere, anytime, yet they never do.

I don't think it is within the scope of the game's writing or it's engine to show a billion Heralds suddenly appearing somewhere and killing everyone. That doesn't mean it's not part of the plot.

I mean, if you're judging the story based on the game, you could just say that the key to winning the war is to get all the DeePS nerds together into one big team and give them all Scimitars and have them kill all the Heralds in one big, fantastic, glorious, amazingly stupid battle.

If you want an in-universe reason why they haven't yet done this from the writers, it's a series of quiet mumbles, followed by "they want to take the galaxy intact and turn all of us into servitors/slaves". I don't imagine that'd stop them from just dropping an army onto your team after you just disarmed (geddit?) one of their gods.
    Perhaps. Too bad the team didn't take advantage of it to set them up the bomb, instead of staying to watch.

And as for dealing with the boss...shooting them is the usual way.

You weren't exactly standing around. You were using the Omega generator to try and kill one of the enemy's gods. That's probably pretty important.

And they say shooting it would be pointless, and even Omega didn't kill it in one go, so /shrug
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    phalanx01 wrote: »
    Next FE you run into Kahless again and he'll claim it was just a "flesh wound". I totally see that happening you know.

Also, did Kahless hit the interstellar McDonalds a bit too much? Looked like he gained a LOT of weight O_O

His extra weight looked less "McDonald's" and more "the gym." Kahless pumped up.
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    nadiezja wrote: »
    His extra weight looked less "McDonald's" and more "the gym." Kahless pumped up.

Lol.. Would explain why it looks like hes wearing sweatpants...
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Lol.. Would explain why it looks like hes wearing sweatpants...

If you were emperor, wouldn't you wear sweatpants everyday?
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Given that transporters were apparently working just fine I don't see why we just didn't beam a ****-ton of antimatter straight into the iconian. But no, let's be sporting and have our heroic epic. :P
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Given that transporters were apparently working just fine I don't see why we just didn't beam a ****-ton of antimatter straight into the iconian.

If he tanked having the raw fury of the Big Bang basted directly into his head before going down, then i doubt antimatter would have made a scratch.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Given that transporters were apparently working just fine I don't see why we just didn't beam a ****-ton of antimatter straight into the iconian. But no, let's be sporting and have our heroic epic. :P

That would have been a terrible idea, on account of the fact that the away team had vital intel and the speed of light is a huge number - especially if you square it.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I don't think it is within the scope of the game's writing or it's engine to show a billion Heralds suddenly appearing somewhere and killing everyone. That doesn't mean it's not part of the plot.

I mean, if you're judging the story based on the game, you could just say that the key to winning the war is to get all the DeePS nerds together into one big team and give them all Scimitars and have them kill all the Heralds in one big, fantastic, glorious, amazingly stupid battle.

If you want an in-universe reason why they haven't yet done this from the writers, it's a series of quiet mumbles, followed by "they want to take the galaxy intact and turn all of us into servitors/slaves". I don't imagine that'd stop them from just dropping an army onto your team after you just disarmed (geddit?) one of their gods.
    It's not just a gameplay issue. The gateway technology is a total story breaker. It's simply not possible to use it to its full extent, because then the first we'd have heard of the Iconians would've been when they started gating bombs into everyone's warp cores. The End.

And the same can be said about the supposedly limitless numbers of the Heralds. Because if they really could just dump a billion ships on us, all their devious schemes and manipulations that constitute much of the plot of the game would be unnecessary to the point of absurdity. Just dump a billion ships on us and steamroll any and all resistance. The End.

My interpretation is that much of the Iconians' alleged superiority is a bluff. Based on both the gameplay and the story.
    You weren't exactly standing around. You were using the Omega generator to try and kill one of the enemy's gods. That's probably pretty important.
    Except that wasn't the mission objective. We went there to destroy those omega generators. The Iconian was a target of opportunity at best.
    And they say shooting it would be pointless, and even Omega didn't kill it in one go, so /shrug
    They say that, yes. Curious piece of propaganda, seeing they didn't even try. Nobody ever shoots the Iconians when they pop up.

But I'm pretty sure we'll be shooting them anyway sooner or later.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Your away team and your ships would be destroyed or at least get stuck in a region were warp travel would be impossible for several lightyears.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    It's simply not possible to use it to its full extent, because then the first we'd have heard of the Iconians would've been when they started gating bombs into everyone's warp cores.

From what i understand, the Iconians may be omnipresent, but they're not omniscentient. You can sneak into their star system under cloak. Maybe they just don't have the ability to locate where everyone's warp core is at any given time.
    My interpretation is that much of the Iconians' alleged superiority is a bluff. Based on both the gameplay and the story.

You're right in a general sense, of course. I don't know if they're planning on explaining what exactly the Iconians can do with gateways or not, but it'd be interesting to have it laid out in a dialogue so we could chew on it.

Still, it took Omega particles to hurt this one, and I'm pretty sure Omega particles are more powerful than phasers.
    But I'm pretty sure we'll be shooting them anyway sooner or later.

Well, we just figured out a way to turn off their godmode cheat, so hopefully sooner.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Your away team and your ships would be destroyed or at least get stuck in a region were warp travel would be impossible for several lightyears.
    Beam up the away team first, of course. :rolleyes:

And my ship also has a transwarp drive and a slipstream drive, so I wouldn't care.

But destroying the facility from orbit would've been kinda anticlimactic. It would be so much cooler to just jump off the platform and shoot it.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    It's not just me who's noticing a general trend toward our enemies getting more and more immune to just being shot, right?

First it's the Borg adaptation capability, then the super-Vaadwaur who have to be tossed in a micro black hole to kill them, and now there's the Iconians who are merely slowed down by Omega - a weapon that produces more energy than rest mass energy.

So... yeah. Just shooting them is becoming a less and less attractive option.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Well, we just figured out a way to turn off their godmode cheat, so hopefully sooner.
    Perhaps. Or we discovered that a few bat'leth strikes followed by a short burst from energy beam of unspecified power just wasn't quite enough to drain all its HP.

Which is the point where you would jump off the platform and finish the job. But the Iconian arc is so far heavily railroaded so no such luck.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    dareau wrote: »
    4. Send a Male Orion (Deltan?) with Seduce.

Your ideas?

Male Orions don't have the Seduce trait in STO. Also, if you learned anything from this mission, it might be that not everyone prefers the opposite gender. So a female Orion is pretty much your best bet there.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Male Orions don't have the Seduce trait in STO. Also, if you learned anything from this mission, it might be that not everyone prefers the opposite gender. So a female Orion is pretty much your best bet there.

In fact, the female Orion's Seduce ability, as I recall, works on all targets.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    nadiezja wrote: »
    It's not just me who's noticing a general trend toward our enemies getting more and more immune to just being shot, right?

First it's the Borg adaptation capability, then the super-Vaadwaur who have to be tossed in a micro black hole to kill them, and now there's the Iconians who are merely slowed down by Omega - a weapon that produces more energy than rest mass energy.

So... yeah. Just shooting them is becoming a less and less attractive option.

Not really. The Super-Vaadwaur was just an introductory power-up, they became just as shootable as everything else after the first one.

And the Iconians have only appeared in cutscenes and now that one appears during gameplay it's not targetable. It's not that they're immune to being shot, it's just the game hasn't let you try.

The Iconian boss battle is coming. Their plot power has already decayed from "insta-vape groups of people with a wave of hand" down to "has trouble killing one dude with a sword." They'll be shootable when the time comes. Of course, if they're as unique opponents as they're set up to be, each battle may well end with a cutscene finish. But we'll still have to shoot them first.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Alright, someone load a shotgun full of Omega particles . . .
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2015

You can precisely vary the size of an anti-matter explosion by the quantity of antimatter you introduce.

I didn't say "into the facility." I said "into the iconian."
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Beam up the away team first, of course. :rolleyes:

And my ship also has a transwarp drive and a slipstream drive, so I wouldn't care.

But destroying the facility from orbit would've been kinda anticlimactic. It would be so much cooler to just jump off the platform and shoot it.

I fathom neither the Transwarp nor slipstream would work either. Even though subspace contains several layers, I doubt those two would go deep enough to circumvent the space-subspace-rifts an Omega-Explosion produces.
    You can precisely vary the size of an anti-matter explosion by the quantity of antimatter you introduce.

I didn't say "into the facility." I said "into the iconian."

The Iconians seem to have some energy stored inside them, how can you be sure that it wouldnt become a cataclysmic event when that energy met antimatter or were to be freed from the Armor/Hull/Plating the Iconians is made up. It might also disrupt transporter patterns.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    The Iconians seem to have some energy stored inside them, how can you be sure that it wouldnt become a cataclysmic event when that energy met antimatter or were to be freed from the Armor/Hull/Plating the Iconians is made up. It might also disrupt transporter patterns.

My pet theory is that the Iconians are energy beings, who simply happen to be inhabiting technology.