test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Pixelated effects.

ponquponqu Member Posts: 50 Arc User
I've been having some graphical issue lately since i came back o the game. On ships and characters, most notably the "talking heads" there are many blank little squares/pixels appreaing. Turning of SSAO or reducing antialiasing reduced the issue greatly and now it mostly shows on ground combat only. Does anyone encountered similar issue and know what can be the problem and solution?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• renebrehmer#9819 renebrehmer Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Without knowing exactly what it is you're referring to, I have some issues that look like transparencies aren't being rendered correctly as transparent. Things like off-colour squares around certain distant celestial objects and some of the holographics for my romulan's special ground abilities having a dark (translucent) square behind it, where similar abilities on other characters have fully transparent backgrounds.

But then I also have that annoying issue with pixelated uniforms and hair, so I think that the engine changes they did for S10 have caused some general rendering problems across the board.

Anything that looks like pixels or texture actually missing, is however not something I've noticed.

Also, how do you run with SSAO? It's not supported by the Unity engine which is one of the reasons the game doesn't offer it. Unless something's changed without me noticing it, then the game is still unity-based.
  • ponquponqu Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    In the graphic options there is toggle for Screen Space Ambient Occlusion.
    This is how it looks when i turn it on:
    http://imgur.com/tljrMnq,Mmtsr04#0
    http://imgur.com/tljrMnq,Mmtsr04#1

At some angles everything looks ok, but on most angles there are those black or white pixels everywhere. When i trun SSAO off, then it is much better and in most cases everything runs smoothly, but from time to time there are still some pixels like that. But only in ground as i noticed.
  • amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I get the same thing. Radeon R7 240 with Omega 14.12 drivers. I can use AA, or I can use SSAO, but both at the same time produces these artifacts. They occur as described on contact dialog faces, and at other times as well--I saw them on a player's armor as I moved closer to them (didn't get a shot), and also for the first few moments in the starship customization screen.

Unfortunately the jaggies with AA off are awful, and without the subtle shadows from SSAO environments look kind of flat. The jaggies are the far worse problem for me, so off goes SSAO--but I'd really like to be able to run both, and I could on the Radeon HD 5850 that I was using up until today. Wish I could find out what version of the drivers I'd had then.

Msinfo etc available to dev upon request.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yeah, turning off AA and such is how you get rid of it, but this has been around for at least 7-8 months? Cryptic clearly has no intention of fixing this issue or any of the other bugs plaguing their game.

Unfortunate, but after almost a year, it might as well be a "feature" instead of a bug according to Cryptic.