What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Iconians sure hate the Romulans

124»

Comments

• jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    Naw. Protogoth is passionate about romulans but she's harmless.

Is all wavy gravy man but ive seen some people just take things to seriously but thats what i like about the STO community sure were passionate about things but ive not seen one person yet step over that fine line. :)
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    but ive not seen one person yet step over that fine line. :)

Probably because the moderators end up deleting those comments.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited May 2015
    Probably because the moderators end up deleting those comments.

and in that i say they do a excellent jobs those types of posts are like a cancer on a forum and only serve to disrupt a good community like what we got here. :)
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    My issue is when its time to mix it up in a combat situation she tends to defer when action is called for heck if i commanded the Lliset and faced with a fight id be more then happy to wade in the middle .

Ooo, and that's another one. Lleiset is not "luh-SEHT" or "leh-SEHT." It's not even a two-syllable word. but a three-syllable word. It's hleh-EE-seht. Accent is almost invariably on the penult in Rihan. It ain't French (why do so many native English speakers try to pronounce non-English words according to French rules of pronunciation, like "chakra" which is not "SHAH-krah," but CHAH-kruh -- although this is slightly preferable to pronouncing everything as if it followed English rules of pronuciation, which are pretty peculiar when compared with most other languages, like "eye-TAL-yuhn" omg), so don't put the accent on the syllable which would be accented in French, unless it happens to be the syllable the accent would be on in Rihan.
    edited May 2015
    protogoth wrote: »
    Ooo, and that's another one. Lleiset is not "luh-SEHT" or "leh-SEHT." It's not even a two-syllable word. bit a three-syllable word. It's hleh-EE-seht. Accent is almost invariably on the penult in Rihan. It ain't French (why do so many native English speakers try to pronounce non-English words according to French rules of pronunciation, like "chakra" which is not "SHAH-krah," but CHAH-kruh -- although this is slightly preferable to pronouncing everything as if it followed English rules of pronuciation, which are pretty peculiar when compared with most other languages, like "eye-TAL-yuhn" omg), so don't put the accent on the syllable which would be accented in French, unless it happens to be the syllable the accent would be on in Rihan.

LOL hey im not actually a romulan liguest or a translator (ques 3 ferengis slaping thier noggins)
    Im just your average run of the mill person who is now cofused on what i was gonna say.

But 3 ferengis slapping the tops of thier heads is kinda funny though :D
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    In the land of linguistic nuances, the deaf romulan is king.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    No one ever said the Iconians were particularly intelligent.
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    In the land of linguistic nuances, the deaf romulan is king.

Note to self: make a romulan and use Iconian's declaration to make myself King
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    No one ever said the Iconians were particularly intelligent.

How rude of you. No name calling here. :rolleyes:
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    sometimes the hardest thing about reading through a good 'character based' debate is the 'in and out' nature of some of the writing.. 1 minute the discussion is from a characters perspective then suddenly half way through a paragraph it drops from character into player. aside from the direct replies to personal prods, iconians played the perfect protagonist for the RSE, easily maintaining that romulan character throughout the debate. it made for an interesting read, just a shame that certain others where unable to consistently do the same.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ... It ain't French (why do so many native English speakers try to pronounce non-English words according to French rules of pronunciation...

Because it sounds fancy :P
    So, not the Romulans of the Star Trek TV series and movies.
    You RSE-lovers have been spouting this lie since LoR came out. It wasn't true then, and it's not true now. "TOS Romulans" ought to be "nuff said," but even in TNG and the later series we see the same ideals among people like Doctor R'Mor and Alidar t'Jarok and several others. Considering that the average Romulan lifespan is 250 Earth-years, a mere 70 Earth-years of inept government and fascist police state isn't going to ingrain itself into the collective Romulan psyche to such an extent that they forget who they were before, and in fact is only doomed from the start, because they DO remember who they were before and have gone back to that now, even futher back than TOS, back to what inspired the Sundering in the first place.

Yeah, we got the opportunity to see a lot of the idiots face off against Picard. But of course, we only got to see what was on Picard's side of the viewscreen.

Take "Face of the Enemy," for an example. That warbird crew seemed almost as your average Starfleet crew would, in how 'normal' they were. Commander Toreth was a great example of what I'd expect to be the average Romulan officer - simply wanting to do her duty and protect what she held dear, without the Tal'Shiar messing things up. She was one of the few times we saw the honesty and thoughtfulness of a Romulan since TOS.

The episode "The Chase" was fantastic as well. The unnamed Romulan captain was the one who reached out to Picard after finding the common ancestry linkage. Usually it was Picard taking the high ground throughout TNG, but in this case the Romulan took the opportunity. From Memory Alpha:

Romulan: "It would seem that we are not completely dissimilar after all; in our hopes, or in our fears."
    Picard: "Yes..."
    Romulan: "Well then perhaps, one day..."
    Picard: "...one day..."

So there's some great evidence to show that, behind the face on the viewscreen, there's a lot more of the TOS Romulanity than we're led to believe in the earlier seasons of TNG.

Both of these episodes came towards the end of TNG and the beginning of DS9, where the Romulans were starting to outwardly display some of their honour again - and the Tal'Shiar was being quite clearly painted as a rogue aggressor. Take two cases for that: the Tal'Shiar assault on the Founders' homeworld, and the Tal'Shiar's abduction of the USS Prometheus. Remember in that VOY episode in particular, Rekar was actually working for the Tal'Shiar and their interest in the ship, not the RSE's.
    reyan01 wrote: »
    You know, I always thought it a pity that Donatra wound up being Assimiliated in STO. She seemed pretty open-minded in Nemesis and I wouldn't have found it difficult to see her with the RR.

She was pretty open-minded in the Path to 2409 story as well. I really hope we get the chance to pull her from the Collective.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You know, I always thought it a pity that Donatra wound up being Assimiliated in STO. She seemed pretty open-minded in Nemesis and I wouldn't have found it difficult to see her with the RR.
    Which may be why she got Assimilated. My hypothesis is that one of her rivals staged it as a way to remove her from power.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • revanindustriesrevanindustries Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    edited May 2015

If she hadn't disappeared there never would have been a Romulan Republic.
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Which may be why she got Assimilated. My hypothesis is that one of her rivals staged it as a way to remove her from power.

Probably Hakeev.