test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Toggle Open-World PvP... With Rewards!

risingwolfshadowrisingwolfshadow Member Posts: 619 Arc User
edited May 2015 in PvP Gameplay
I know this is general discussion but seeing as it'd involve everyone I thought the general forum would be appropriate.

During the years that I've played this game, the biggest excuses that people have had to stay out of PvP is: "It's too elitist!", "I don't like people's attitude" and finally "I tried it once and I got spawn camped and said to myself, not again!".
I'd like to make it clear that I have experienced these and I agree that it's not nice. Regarding spawn-camping, I have no respect for anyone that does it and if that's what people need to actually make a kill by attacking an opponent who's just re-spawned is sad and you should learn how to fight properly and respectfully.
Regarding the other two, simply put, most of the elite have left. The gear they had is outdated. The elite in the game now are the people who have only been doing PvE all this time. They may not have the skill that PvP veterans had but their gear is probably far superior because all they've done is grind and create dps tanks. Anyone who fits the profile I've just described, with a little tweaking and reading the PvP help forums would put up an epic fight with any veteran PvPer. A little humility and recognition that some will be better than you will also go along way to improving quickly. Most PvPers will be willing to share tips and tricks with you I'm sure, if you ask politely and humbly (no one likes a sore loser, or an idiotic winner for that matter!).

The tittle of this thread is open-world PvP, so I'll get to that now.
Allowing people to free roam sector space in a 'PvP mode" would greatly improve PvP. Instead of private matching someone and going to a map everyone is bored of. Allow players of an opposite faction to challenge someone in sector space when they get within a certain distance of their target and start an attack, but instead of doing damage in sector space (because that would be stupid), both get warped into the nearest system. Perhaps even allow teams to do it but obviously a team of 5v1 is highly unfair so perhaps restrict it to only allow a team of 2 to attack a single player and allow the player being attacked to call for help from a fleet member or friend.
A reward to start off with could be; if you have 5 open PvP matches, you can refine an extra 1000 dilithium as well as rewarding dilithium for each match. Everyone would jump at the chance to refine extra dilithium and with hardcore and fairly stubborn PvEers having the ultra rare and epic gear, because grind and PvE is all they do, the elite/veteran PvPers (of which there are 5! Probably), would have to work quite hard to beat them.
If this were to get popular perhaps later on include other types of PvP and give it more attention.

There are so many maps available for patrol missions and such, so why not use them for open PvP. Giving people rewards for attacking someone of equal level and gear, and giving people that are attacked by idiots who can't pick someone of equal high level/gear/skill a higher dilithium reward for each match especially if they loose to keep them interested in open-world PvP.

To conclude, I would like to say thank you for reading this long and boring thread and I hope that you put down your thoughts and comments. I'll happily accept any constructive criticism but please be polite.

Star-Lord@risingwolfshadow
Post edited by risingwolfshadow on

Comments

• praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I like it.

It'll provide an interesting change from the borefest of PvE, offers an incentive to PvP, and is optional, so the people that have mental breakdowns over having snowballs thrown at their toons can keep the tears to themselves.
  • zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Remove pvp. With rewards. :D
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I don't wanna. And I don't wanna people have the option to play different from me. No. No no no no. No. Rejected. You may not. Ever.

;)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • davideightdavideight Member Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    noone wants to be "forcefully" inevitably involved into pvp, accept it. its a bad idea in wow as it is everywhere else. if you seek new targets, seek them elsewhere dont hideously force unaware people into pvp just so you have new targets to beat the **** out of.
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So pwning people that choose to be in a PvP zone has gotten too hard for you and you need to trick newbs into going into PvP mode now?
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    edited May 2015
    So pwning people that choose to be in a PvP zone has gotten too hard for you and you need to trick newbs into going into PvP mode now?

Equal point: Are you too scared/totally lack the skill to go against something that doesn't just sit there and absorb your damage? (EDIT: In case this was unclear, the tone of this is in response to the tone of the message I am quoting).

That argument goes both ways.

If there is a clearly flagged option where you can turn it on and off, what's the problem? What's the problem with offering a unique award (and desirable) reward for a different play style?

Don't want the reward? Don't play ithat game type. Simple as that. Just like if you don't want Marks/Reputation, you don't have to play the Queues/Battle zones.
    davideight wrote: »
    noone wants to be "forcefully" inevitably involved into pvp, accept it. its a bad idea in wow as it is everywhere else. if you seek new targets, seek them elsewhere dont hideously force unaware people into pvp just so you have new targets to beat the **** out of.

You wouldn't be forced into it, you'd be flying around with a PvP option enabled. Don't want to engage in PvP? Turn your PvP flag off.
  • ssargonssargon Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Sounds a bit like what Mabi did for PvP; open PvP was a simple opt-in checkbox and if it was active, you could be PvPed from anyone else with the check on at any time. Granted it was a gankfest but you knew what you were getting into if you checked it. Your suggestion seems like a good refinement for space, as it would be easy to create a blank map and somewhat seamlessly warp people and their FX away from the rest of players.
    But what of ground and non-sector space? A blank version of the social map may work. Personally, my main reason for not wanting open PvP is my experience that PvPers who can fight anywhere tend to pick the most popular social zones and spam their biggest attacks all over the place. Memories of Dunbarton lag... could hardly step foot near the place. Imagine open ground PvP in DS9...
  • savnokasavnoka Member Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    During the years that I've played this game, the biggest excuses that people have had to stay out of PvP is: "It's too elitist!", "I don't like people's attitude" and finally "I tried it once and I got spawn camped and said to myself, not again!".

I typically find that whenever a large portion of a playerbase gives reasons why they dislike something, ignoring it because I happen to think differently rarely works out.

I would make sure any suggestions you have ensure that the above 'excuses', as you put them, are not a product of your idea.
    Allowing people to free roam sector space in a 'PvP mode" would greatly improve PvP.

Is this a toggle? That is, if someone wishes to engage in this PVP, they have a flag they turn on, and that ONLY they can turn on?

For this to work, there cannot be any nonsense:
    • Anyone with the flag set to off cannot be attacked in any way shape or form
    • Anyone with a PvP flag on can be attacked, or can assist in attacks.
    • Anyone with the flag OFF cannot assist in attacks or defenses or provide healing or buffs
    • If on a team, no one but the team leader can set the flag, and each member has a pop up to quit the team if he or she does so
    A reward to start off with could be; if you have 5 open PvP matches, you can refine an extra 1000 dilithium as well as rewarding dilithium for each match.

I fear that anything that violates the sharp time-reward metrics Cryptic has implemented will be ... unlikely. Additionally, the setup and changes to programming would not be insubstantial -- they would need to see interest in the idea.

Giving people rewards for attacking someone of equal level and gear, and giving people that are attacked by idiots who can't pick someone of equal high level/gear/skill a higher dilithium reward for each match especially if they loose to keep them interested in open-world PvP.

This is going to be the sticking point.

If you allow cross-level attacks to work, someone is going to end up butthurt. It might be better to only allow players to attack in level bands (10-20, 21-30, 31-50, 50 up). Otherwise, given the gap between a level 60 and say a level 20, you wouldn't even have farming so much as fishing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • demonicaestheticdemonicaesthetic Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I know this is general discussion but seeing as it'd involve everyone I thought the general forum would be appropriate.

Yeah yeah, same "we the arrogant pvp noob murdering spawn campers demand the right to spawn camp and noob murder everywhere, with auto opt in and hard to find opt out system we asked for last week, now with big prizes for murdering noobs and spawn camping" thread, yet again.

The answer is just... NO...

Can't you pvp people take a massive fugging hint? The fact that the majority avoid pvp like the plague, would strongly suggest that they do not want to pvp with you, ever.

They do not want to be spawn camped, they do not want to be 'challenge ambushed' while flying around on their own business. They don't want to be one-shotted from behind by a cloaked scimitard so some pvp-hero 4th class can earn easy kill points and be a pvp-hero 3rd class.

You want more pvp, go challenge the pvp-hero 1st class league members.
    <center><font size="+5"><b>Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day...
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life...</b></size></center>
    edited May 2015
    Yeah yeah, same "we the arrogant pvp noob murdering spawn campers demand the right to spawn camp and noob murder everywhere, with auto opt in and hard to find opt out system we asked for last week, now with big prizes for murdering noobs and spawn camping" thread, yet again.

The answer is just... NO...

Can't you pvp people take a massive fugging hint? The fact that the majority avoid pvp like the plague, would strongly suggest that they do not want to pvp with you, ever.

They do not want to be spawn camped, they do not want to be 'challenge ambushed' while flying around on their own business. They don't want to be one-shotted from behind by a cloaked scimitard so some pvp-hero 4th class can earn easy kill points and be a pvp-hero 3rd class.

You want more pvp, go challenge the pvp-hero 1st class league members.

Jump off of your high "I AM PVE HERO, I AM THE ONE TO BE CATERED TO!" horse for a moment and consider his proposal; Open World PvP would be an optional, opt-in mode.

Can't you PvE heroes "take a massive fugging hint"? STO is stagnant. Grind is increasing, content is diminishing. We need new life, game modes, and fresh air in the game.

Calm down, Mr 'I DON'T WANT IT, SO THEREFORE YOU CAN'T HAVE IT!'

What came first, STO's abhorrent attitude to PvP, game imbalance, or PvE heroes running like the plague from the slightest challenge?

Hint: Around Season 1.2 up until about Season 6, there was decent balance and a big PvP community. But then LoR brought around massive amounts of power creep, and the population declined from around Season 4 on, thanks to Cryptic's lying about developing new content for PvP. So you tell me what lead to the current atmosphere.
    edited May 2015
    praxi5 wrote: »
    Jump off of your high "I AM PVE HERO, I AM THE ONE TO BE CATERED TO!" horse for a moment and consider his proposal; Open World PvP would be an optional, opt-in mode.

Can't you PvE heroes "take a massive fugging hint"? STO is stagnant. Grind is increasing, content is diminishing. We need new life, game modes, and fresh air in the game.

Hey newbie, want to have a fun duel? Turn your flag on so we can. Oh, I forgot to mention I've got four buddies. What just happened to you is called getting vaped. Thanks for the extra dil!
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited May 2015

it's not the PvE crowd that needs to take a hint. It's Cryptic.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

edited May 2015
    Hey newbie, want to have a fun duel? Turn your flag on so we can. Oh, I forgot to mention I've got four buddies. What just happened to you is called getting vaped. Thanks for the extra dil!

Hey new guy, want to run an ISA or something? K, awesome. I'm gonna go AFK for the whole time while you do it all for me/I'm going to TBR drag the Spheres into the Transformer. Hope you enjoy the cooldown!

Yeah, there might be some griefing - but it's not unique to PvP, and it would be up to Cryptic to find a way to limit that. Not the players. We're not the ones getting paid to develop a game here.
    edited May 2015
    Wait, you mean griefing is unique to PvP?

So all of those AFKers in PvE and the ones who purposely ruin queues don't exist, right?

Yeah, there might be some griefing - but it would be up to Cryptic to find a way to limit that. Not the players. We're not the ones getting paid to develop a game here.

The best and most reliable way to limit it is not to implement it.
  • gishka#4096 gishka Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Allow players of an opposite faction to challenge someone in sector space when they get within a certain distance of their target and start an attack...

A reward to start off with could be; if you have 5 open PvP matches, you can refine an extra 1000 dilithium as well as rewarding dilithium for each match.

1) Dil farmer makes a free second/third/fourth/etc account.
    2) Flies new account to where their other account is.
    3) PvP's themselves.
    4) Gets free dil.
    5) Repeat 1-4 with different winners until all accounts at the daily refine cap...
    6) Economy crashes.
    Dahar Master Gishka - I.K.S. Storm of Quin'lat
    tlhIngan maH taHjaj!
    edited May 2015
    tenzian wrote: »
    1) Dil farmer makes a free second/third/fourth/etc account.
    2) Flies new account to where their other account is.
    3) PvP's themselves.
    4) Gets free dil.
    5) Repeat 1-4 with different winners until all accounts at the daily refine cap...
    6) Economy crashes.

Penfold shush! You're giving away his secret plan to increase his daily refining cap.
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I can right-click on any player I can see, right now, and then click "Challenge Player" to invite them to a PVP match. What advantages does your proposal offer over this method? (Other than, if they'd forgotten to opt out, they wouldn't be able to say no, and ha ha ha tough **** to them if they were, y'know, wanting to do something else.)
    8b6YIel.png?1
    edited May 2015
    The best and most reliable way to limit it is not to implement it.

So in order to prevent a something that may happen to a few people, we should just not do something that could be fun for a lot of people?

Hmmm...

With that logic, maybe they should just never bring back Elite queues, since people are having trouble with Advanced ones as it is.

Or maybe keep the level grind, since average player skill isn't high enough to complete Advanced/Elite content.

Perhaps even restrict all new FEs to level 60, to prevent people from being frustrated at the difficulty of it?

I don't understand what's so difficult to understand here - if you don't want it, don't participate in it. Why deprive others of the opportunity to, just because it's not your cup of tea? Most people generally are not the biggest fan of Ground combat, but you don't see masses going around screaming "GROUND SUX, I DON'T LIKE IT. NO MORE GROUND STFs OR FEs!"
    edited May 2015
    Jump off of your high "I AM PVE HERO, I AM THE ONE TO BE CATERED TO!" horse for a moment

Not a pvp hero, just somebody playing a damn game in anattempt to have fun, who dislikes pro-pvp-bigots consatantly telling me my fun isn't important unless it involves being shot at by them.
    and consider his proposal; Open World PvP would be an optional, opt-in mode.

Considered and rejected pvp as any kind of fun years ago, based on the attitudes of people like... Well, you, to be frank.

You think introducing your minority sport, despite the majority not wanting it, and insulting said majority into the bargain, will reverse stagnation? How exactly? By driving those of us who dislike open pvp, off the game entirely?

"This game is stagnant, lets drive 90% of the players offline so we can murder noobs in an exciting vibrate way"

Fun observation.

SWTOR has 2 kinds of servers... pve servers and pvp servers.

Despite having their own dedicated open pvp servers to play on, pvp players STILL log into pve servers and spam chat with challenges.

Why is that? Could it be some manic need to wave their digital peckers to prove how web-tough they are?

Oh... FYI, it's not Mister, it's MISS, yup thats right, I don't have a TRIBBLE to wave, digital or otherwise.
    edited May 2015
    Can't you PvE heroes "take a massive fugging hint"? STO is stagnant. Grind is increasing, content is diminishing. We need new life, game modes, and fresh air in the game..

You yourself pointed out Cryptic is singularly incompetent and untrustworthy when it comes to implementing PvP content. Yet we are supposed to be excited by this?

Please stop letting your mouth outrun your brain. While I certainly agree the post by demonicaesthetic was composed almost entirely of derp, yours was no better.

Again, the only thing the OP is suggesting is

1) Moving from right clicking on 'challenge' and going to a private map to streamlining the entire process with a flag that you turn on and

2) engineering rewards.

I have strong reservations, not because I dislike PvP, but because PvP has NEVER ressurrected any game, has wrecked more than one MMO, and because Cryptic has no clue how to balance things for it now with all the various PvE expansions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2015
    Not a pvp hero, just somebody playing a damn game in anattempt to have fun, who dislikes pro-pvp-bigots consatantly telling me my fun isn't important unless it involves being shot at by them.

Considered and rejected pvp as any kind of fun years ago, based on the attitudes of people like... Well, you, to be frank.

You think introducing your minority sport, despite the majority not wanting it, and insulting said majority into the bargain, will reverse stagnation? How exactly? By driving those of us who dislike open pvp, off the game entirely?

"This game is stagnant, lets drive 90% of the players offline so we can murder noobs in an exciting vibrate way"

Fun observation.

SWTOR has 2 kinds of servers... pve servers and pvp servers.

Despite having their own dedicated open pvp servers to play on, pvp players STILL log into pve servers and spam chat with challenges.

Why is that? Could it be some manic need to wave their digital peckers to prove how web-tough they are?

Oh... FYI, it's not Mister, it's MISS, yup thats right, I don't have a TRIBBLE to wave, digital or otherwise.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that others don't - and you don't have to participate in it. You're playing the game to have fun, so are others. And some of those like playing against other players.

Why deprive others of the opportunity to do what they enjoy? Why deprive others of something new? Why deprive others of some new rewards, just because A) you don't like it B) a few bad apples like you describe?

What is so inherently wrong with new options? Options that aren't required to complete anything else in the game.

And apologies on the Mr comment, I just assumed ;)
    edited May 2015
    Not a pvp hero, just somebody playing a damn game in anattempt to have fun, who dislikes pro-pvp-bigots consatantly telling me my fun isn't important unless it involves being shot at by them..

Ah, pot. Would you like to meet Mr. Kettle here?

If you are so rabidly hateful of PvP why even bother to participate in the discussion? It's not like Cyrptic has bothered to implement even a single blasted suggestion made or even bothered to respond to any of the suggestions in years.

Perhaps you just like flaming and bashing people? Waving your own epeen?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • risingwolfshadowrisingwolfshadow Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    Unless you're including a means for people turn off challenges and not participate, then I say no to this idea as well. Not sure the dil reward works either as it's easily farmed for little to no effort.

"Toggle open world PvP" as in, it's optional, you can choose to be in open PvP or not.
    edited May 2015
    savnoka wrote: »
    You yourself pointed out Cryptic is singularly incompetent and untrustworthy when it comes to implementing PvP content. Yet we are supposed to be excited by this?

I'd say they're utterly incompetent at balance and following through on their promises - but we've yet to see how they would be with implementation, since there hasn't been any of that to judge against.

I'd assume that it wouldn't be too difficult to implement a basic system to prevent griefing on a massive scale. Maybe a "ranking system", where your team (or yourself) is given a specific rank value, and you can only Open challenge people of a similar ranking range?
    Just a small observation. Off should be the default setting for any toggles involving open world PvP.

Agreed, it should be opt-IN, not opt-OUT.

It would help prevent any inadvertent action where it's not wanted.
    edited May 2015
    savnoka wrote: »
    Ah, pot. Would you like to meet Mr. Kettle here?

If you are so rabidly hateful of PvP why even bother to participate in the discussion? It's not like Cyrptic has bothered to implement even a single blasted suggestion made or even bothered to respond to any of the suggestions in years.

Perhaps you just like flaming and bashing people? Waving your own epeen?

I've watched the rabid-pvp people destroy game servers too many times. It's always the same group, not the genuinely skilled top of the league types looking for a fair, honourable and challenging match, it's always the 3rd and 4th raters who cant cut it with the big boys, and see noob murder and spawn camping as perfectly acceptable.

A couple of weeks ago, we had a suggestion for auto-opt- in on char creation open pvp in ESD.

Including the suggestion that the first 5 of the 6-10 instances should be auto-opt-in open pvp "if you want to opt out change instance"

Today we get insulted by somebody who wants to impose an unneeded mechanic into the game so a minority can make free loot, murdering gullible noobs.

If they WANT to challenge random strangers in sector space, they already can, right click, select 'challenge' from the context menu, it really is that easy.

But it seems that isn't good enough, the challenged party might refuse, so, hey lets 'un-stagnate' the game by making the place open pvp.

Doesn't the fact that the majority of players do not pvp, suggest the majority of players do not WANT to pvp?
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    You're playing the game to have fun, so are others. And some of those like playing against other players.
    So... what's stopping you? I mean, you are talking as if there are actual obstacles against PVP in this game. But you can challenge anyone to a match, there are dedicated PVP battlezones on the maps, there are rewards and accolades for PVP - where, exactly, is your problem?

If people aren't doing enough PVP for your tastes, does it not occur to you that maybe it's because they don't want to?

I mean, I'm not a gamer, really, I'm a Trekkie - and something tells me that's true of quite a few people who play Star Trek Online. Me, I'm happy zooming around in my pretend spaceship, playing at being Jim Kirk or a poor relation thereof. What I'd like to see more of, is a chance to get the feeling of being in the old TV show. And maybe my memory is failing me, but I just don't remember any episode where Kirk spent the whole of the show crouched behind a barrel ganking n00bz as they beamed in.
    8b6YIel.png?1
    edited May 2015
    shevet wrote: »
    So... what's stopping you? I mean, you are talking as if there are actual obstacles against PVP in this game. But you can challenge anyone to a match, there are dedicated PVP battlezones on the maps, there are rewards and accolades for PVP - where, exactly, is your problem?

If people aren't doing enough PVP for your tastes, does it not occur to you that maybe it's because they don't want to?

Despite the drop in community, there are still enough to get a good number of matches in daily.

My point in that statement was that STO sorely needs new PvP content - we've been using the same 3 maps since Launch, and we've even inexplicably lost a game mode.

Adding in Open World would be an unprecedented boon to PvP, while leaving PvE completely unaffected.